Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Second Indochina War

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Second Indochina War (Ready for Graphics?)

Postby grifftron on Mon May 09, 2011 9:30 pm

grifftron wrote:Small Version 680x648 with digis (Just a digi test)... I thought it looked great with the 50x50 extension

Click image to enlarge.

-griff

edited small in Big Img tags and here is the bombing zones cleaned up a bit

Click image to enlarge.

FD went on a trip for a while I think, or is going to soon, so im not sure how frequently the OP will be updated now that we switched around.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby FarangDemon on Thu May 12, 2011 2:08 am

Really nice work, grifftron! I've updated the OP with URLs. I like the mountains a lot.

I noticed a few small things:

MRV should be MRF, for Mobile Riverine Force.
And the explanation for Tet Offensive should also list MRF as a region that it cannot attack.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby grifftron on Thu May 12, 2011 11:17 am

FarangDemon wrote:Really nice work, grifftron! I've updated the OP with URLs. I like the mountains a lot.

I noticed a few small things:

MRV should be MRF, for Mobile Riverine Force.
And the explanation for Tet Offensive should also list MRF as a region that it cannot attack.

Done.

Click image to enlarge.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby FarangDemon on Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 pm

I also like those guys marching in the bottom..

A few other minor details:

I wanted to make Champasak be a regional power center for Laos as well, even though it has no corresponding leader. It is symbolic of the former Kingdom of Champasak and I think would make the fight for Laos more interesting (also because its far from the other capitals). So only change to map means add lightning bolt icon on it.

Label stuff:

I think it may be better to change "William W" to "Westmoreland" and change "Kaysone P" to "Phomvihane".

Oh and those numbers next to the bombing missions are supposed to represent starting neutrals, I just drew them on the map so it would be clear during development. If it would clutter things too much, perhaps we should remove those numbers. Although I remember some people saying they liked the idea of keeping them.
Last edited by FarangDemon on Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby grifftron on Thu May 12, 2011 3:14 pm

OK, FD i can always just put the neutral numbers on the map now that the 888's checked out. So just so i have this clear, those numbers in the bomber key represent the neutral count that will be on each region in the matching tert right?

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Fri May 13, 2011 11:33 am

Click image to enlarge.

OK FD got the neutrals on there, actually I wasn't sure if I got it right, i put the neutrals on the terts in the bombing zones according to the key at the bottom, just wondering if it was suppose to be on the planes but that wouldn't make much sense... will players still split territories at the beginning like you had in the OP? Or will it be just a starting point game like Feudal? I noticed that it would kinda of stink for players that got stuck behind neutrals for those that started on leaders that had matching terts in the bombing zones, how would this even out? Just some thoughts.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby FarangDemon on Fri May 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Bombardment

* Each colored bomber symbol one-way assaults two different Bombing Missions, which start neutral.
Bombing Missions bombard the designated regions of the same color.

So those territories that are bombarded do not start neutral (unless they are those specifically listed as neutral in OP). The bombing missions are regions themselves, they start neutral. The bombing missions bombard the corresponding regions.

So youĀ“ll need to put 888s on the bombing mission column of the legend that explains the bombing. Those are the neutrals.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby grifftron on Fri May 13, 2011 8:20 pm

FarangDemon wrote:Bombardment

* Each colored bomber symbol one-way assaults two different Bombing Missions, which start neutral.
Bombing Missions bombard the designated regions of the same color.

So those territories that are bombarded do not start neutral (unless they are those specifically listed as neutral in OP). The bombing missions are regions themselves, they start neutral. The bombing missions bombard the corresponding regions.

So youĀ“ll need to put 888s on the bombing mission column of the legend that explains the bombing. Those are the neutrals.

gotcha! Ill update that on my next post of the map

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Fri May 13, 2011 11:40 pm

this one should be right on the dot with starting neutrals

Click image to enlarge.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarshalNey on Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Any objections from any other quarter? I'll stamp this in 24 hours otherwise.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby FarangDemon on Mon May 16, 2011 4:27 am

Right on grifftron. Updated OP links.

Note:

Linebacker should be 6 and Rolling Thunder should be 2.
Also, Champasak starts neutral 2.

If we have room to add some text describing the conflict, I can come up with something later.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby MarshalNey on Fri May 20, 2011 12:50 am

Ah yes, the bombing mission neutrals should be fixed. And Champasak. Sorry to have missed that.

Get those corrections in and a stamp will follow directly thereafter.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby grifftron on Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm

MarshalNey wrote:Ah yes, the bombing mission neutrals should be fixed. And Champasak. Sorry to have missed that.

Get those corrections in and a stamp will follow directly thereafter.

-- Marshal Ney

Done, now bring on the graphic critics :?

NOTE: FD will not be back to update the OP until mid June.

Click image to enlarge.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarshalNey on Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 am

Stamped!

Congratulations Griff and Farang on your second map of Southeast Asia, this is a playable and yet faithful representation of a very long, twisty war =D>

Now make it pretty (er)!

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby FarangDemon on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks for your support, MarshalNey! And also, thanks to the community which has been helpful in providing feedback as well. Grifftron, IĀ“ve updated the OP with the latest big map link.

I think it would be easier for us if you guys could somehow make grifftron be the OP again, as then heĀ“d be able to instantaneously update the links in the OP as he works on the graphics. Otherwise there is a lag and heĀ“d have to wait for me to change it every time he makes an update. It is already a slow process without having to wait for me to update the links every time.

One thing to keep in mind. We need to figure out where the digits will go that represent the troops on each leader. There are two separate regions there - the leader itself and the leader's bonus.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

That's not something we carto assistants can do, not sure about MrBenn, probably not though. I believe all you'd have to do is put an e-ticket in and the admins could make that change for you.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:That's not something we carto assistants can do, not sure about MrBenn, probably not though. I believe all you'd have to do is put an e-ticket in and the admins could make that change for you.

I just stumbled across this. I've went ahead and changed the OP to grifftron. If it needs to be changed back or to someone else, Wall Me. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks, Andy!
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby theBastard on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:46 am

looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.
congrat to stamp :)
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby grifftron on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 am

theBastard wrote:looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.

Thanks tB. I have been meaning to work on it some more in my free time but there hasn't been much input graphically on the map at all.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby theBastard on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 am

grifftron wrote:
theBastard wrote:looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.

Thanks tB. I have been meaning to work on it some more in my free time but there hasn't been much input graphically on the map at all.

-griff

there were made much graphically when we look at this one: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/520 ... 9a8e_b.jpg ;) :)
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Re: The Second Indochina War {GP}

Postby grifftron on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Wondering when someone will stop in and give some guidance graphic wise, color scheme or anything else that would be changed? ideas? I need something to work with here... I think this is a great GP idea that FD came up with and would love to work more on the graphics if I got some ideas going.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

Sorry griff, been busy covering game play as well. I'll give this a closer look over later, but the one thing that I think needs to be done is a slight background texture to the playable area.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:24 am

grifftron wrote:Wondering when someone will stop in and give some guidance graphic wise, color scheme or anything else that would be changed? ideas? I need something to work with here... I think this is a great GP idea that FD came up with and would love to work more on the graphics if I got some ideas going.

-griff

The black frame you have around the map is too strong and makes the map look cramped... It competes for attention with other elements - I suggest trying something smoother and lighter, maybe a dark grey thing or something...

The coloured borders around the bonus areas look sloppy, which doesn't fit the crisp style of the map - they should be even in thickness.

I also suggest moving the bombing missions under the faction leaders - that way all the extra territories are in one place and not all around the map. Swap it with the text that is under the leaders currently.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: The Second Indochina War [21 May 2011]

Postby FarangDemon on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and for not forgetting about us.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box