Conquer Club

Operation Drug War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Operation Drug War [Quenched]

Postby superFLINT on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Well I do not like the looks of this map so I will probably never play it, just like the majority of maps on here...There are only a few maps that I play regularly, the rest just don't cut it...I like a map that looks good, has good color combinations and is not crammed up with a bunch of rules and stuff...Keep it clean and simple...

As for the people who think this game glorifies war, get over it...You are the type of people who just like complaining all the time and look for things to complain about...There are no graphic representations of war, just a couple of dice rolling, lowest number looses...To me it helps keep the mind healthy by thinking and planning ahead, therefore, I think it is a good 'Brain Game'...

superFLINT
Lieutenant superFLINT

Re:

Postby jpliberty on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Coleman wrote:... Make the police look very much like the good guys in this scenario, like the D.A.R.E. dog, Superman and such....

I prefer that it be realistic. Instead of Coleman's fantasy where vice cops are good guys, show them as the violent thieves so many, many of them are....certainly don't suggest that those who exist on either side of the drug war somehow are good guys while the other side is bad.

That said, it is an absurd suggestion that this map in anyway is distinct from others on CC. The theme always is war, violence, etc.

More power to those creative enough to try something new.

I don't understand this map (I don't understand many of the maps). Perhaps this map could become a CC first, one where someone actually thought to write up an explanation of how it is played?

I suspect many people are like me, and don't play maps because when it isn't obvious how to play, who wants to learn the hard way...
I'd rather rule in hell than serve in heaven.
Lieutenant jpliberty

Postby edbeard on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:35 pm

well you have to play by your drop. if you happen to have a lot of police cars then you should probably try to get the lieutenant and commissioner. If you happen to start with a few of the four bosses, you should take over the muscles in those respective territories. then maybe take over the phones since they're easy to grab from your muscle + boss position. And/or, maybe go to the Hideout sector and grab the +1 for each muscle bonus. if you hold a junkie, you take over the stash. from there maybe try to grab the counter and runner to grab another +1. basically it's all about doing what looks best based on your drop. sometimes things'll happen so you have to do other stuff like take over the stick-up man and stop people's bonuses by bombarding their stashes. I haven't played enough games to see what actually happens though
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby jpliberty on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 pm

edbeard wrote:well you have to play by your drop. if you happen to have a lot of police cars then you should probably try to get the lieutenant and commissioner. If you happen to start with a few of the four bosses, you should take over the muscles in those respective territories. then maybe take over the phones since they're easy to grab from your muscle + boss position. And/or, maybe go to the Hideout sector and grab the +1 for each muscle bonus. if you hold a junkie, you take over the stash. from there maybe try to grab the counter and runner to grab another +1. basically it's all about doing what looks best based on your drop. sometimes things'll happen so you have to do other stuff like take over the stick-up man and stop people's bonuses by bombarding their stashes. I haven't played enough games to see what actually happens though

On the old board games there always was/is a set of instructions/rules. Why not on CC maps? I look at a map like Feudal, and many of the others, and there is no way in hell to have even the slightest concept of how to play except by playing, probably multiple games and learning by making "dumb" deployments, etc.

It seems to me that anyone creating a map in essence is creating a new game, albeit one which is consistent with the underlying structure and facilities of Conquer Club. As game creator, there is a logical responsibility to make a detailed description of what the game is about.

You have given a shot at part of it here, by explaining what you have learned so far. Why isn't this a feature of ALL the maps here?

I defy anyone to tell me how, for example, anyone looking at the Feudal map for the first time knows how to play it.

On EACH map there could be a link to rules/instructions (I don't think that would be too complicated a feature to add to CC, and I recognize that it would require the map creators to do more work in writing a detailed list of rules/instructions.

I think it would greatly increase the number of players for each map.
Lieutenant jpliberty

Postby yeti_c on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:26 am

Something like this was discussed and worked on ages ago... however it kindof fell by the wayside... probably due to lack of "lack" buyin.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jpliberty on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:37 pm

yeti_c wrote:Something like this was discussed and worked on ages ago... however it kindof fell by the wayside... probably due to lack of "lack" buyin.

C.

Well that, anyway, is good to know. I long have wondered how so many people can be expected to join a game which no one possibly can understand unless it first is explained to them.

Rules/Directions make sense, they are obvious, and the fact that it isn't done is inexplicable.

To give a few examples. One very good map is American Civil War. I say "good" because I personally enjoy it but also because it is unique among the more than 20 maps I have played. It was VERY well thought out and exceptionally creative.

It also is distinct from the original RISK type games. It has several great "quirks"...NONE of which are easily understood by someone who never has played that game.

I have won several Asia games because no one but me understood that you can attack from Inner Mongolia to Mongolia, one way. Same problem exists on the British Isle Map with respect both to Hadrian's Wall and the weird Galloway thing which I won't even try to explain here because there should be written rules where it is spelled-out.

I don't know how many USA games I played AFTER the map was changed without any notice about what Tennessee could attack.

These things go on and on. Hell, on CC, it is a cottage industry, taking advantage of the uninformed/unconnected.

Simple written rules accompany all other games. Why not at CC?
Lieutenant jpliberty

Re: Re:

Postby The Viking on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 pm

jpliberty wrote:The theme always is war, violence, etc.

CCU
Chinese Checkers
Crossword
Conquer Man
VoTK
King of The Mountains
Madness
Rail Europe
Rail USA
8 Thoughts
And just about any of the geographical maps like for example San Francisco, Malta, Asia, Arctic, etc. are not necessarily war/violence themed.
(and what weird Galloway thing?)
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Re: Re:

Postby jpliberty on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:31 pm

The Viking wrote:
jpliberty wrote:The theme always is war, violence, etc.

CCU
Chinese Checkers
Crossword
Conquer Man
VoTK
King of The Mountains
Madness
Rail Europe
Rail USA
8 Thoughts
And just about any of the geographical maps like for example San Francisco, Malta, Asia, Arctic, etc. are not necessarily war/violence themed.

OK, I don't play those games. The foundation of CC is RISK. That is a war game. If you don't like that state it. Stop the nonsense, the namby pamby bs of saying War in Bad.

If you dislike War, I suggest you do something about those who make war, not complain about a game being played by peaceful and honest individuals. You are an IDIOT to suggest that this game, or any game in CC glorifies or in any way promotes violence.

ONLY a complete MORON would suggest that.

Let's take your list. Let's limit CC to just those games included on your list. I, for one, have played ZERO games on those maps. I suggest my experience mirrors that of a majority of CC subscribers (paid and non-paid).

So, go play your Chinese Checkers, you can do that elsewhere, not here, if our warlike intentions offend you. Next, complain about the Brady Bunchy reruns on TV Land, cause I'm almost certain that once they said "damn" on the show.

Again, you are a complete moron...it is not enough to suggest that your idea lacks merit, you, as a person, lack merit. Have a nice day.
Lieutenant jpliberty

Re:

Postby superFLINT on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:28 pm

The Viking wrote:CCU
Chinese Checkers
Crossword
Conquer Man
VoTK
King of The Mountains
Madness
Rail Europe
Rail USA
8 Thoughts

LMAO...Well all these maps, whether its crossword or world or Asia or whatever, are all the same - You have to attack adjoining areas and use dice as your weapons...There is no visual cues of violence on CC, when you roll the dice you dont see a bunch of soldiers shooting each other you see 5 dice, if your dice has higher numbers then you win that roll....I dont know how people can call that violent, I guess they are the type of people who live to complain about anything that they do not like...

I really do not think that this will turn my kid into a raving Hitler lunatic if he plays it and dream of world domination or become a murderer or something like that because it lacks the visual violence that come in other video games...FPS games train kids to find the best cover and and shoot for vital areas of the body to get a quick kill and they learn how to aim...I remember reading about a shooting in the US and the kid was into FPS games and played them a lot, he ended up killing a dozen people and 9 of those kills were headshots, taught to him by an FPS game...It really boils down to the parents, they need to control what their kids are doing and teach them whats right and whats not right - Id say the parents of that kid did not monitor what their kid was doing or probably taught him through their actions...

What is CC really teaching our kids and everyone else? I think it helps them learn how to plan and manage a team of numbers(armies)...

jpliberty I agree 1000% on the map rules...I have seen that one Feudal a number of times and thought about joining, but I did not understand the map so instead of making an ass out of meself I never joined it....And I hate those maps that have the rules written all over the map in text that a person with a magnifying glass would still be hard pressed to read....Like you said, put a link on the map and make up a little html page to explain the map, I dont think it will be that hard or take that much time...I would probably play more maps too if they were explained...
Lieutenant superFLINT

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:33 pm

I think I will like this map, but I am having some trouble reading the various labels. Dark print on a dark background is very hard to see.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby MK 1 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 am

Even though I don't totally agree with the subject of the map, it is an excellent strategy game. My compliments.
Private MK 1

Postby lanyards on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:21 am

There are many coordinates that are not centered.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Boss_oss_ss on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:46 am

I think there is a problem with the territory bonuses in the corner. In a game on one of them i have the bottom corner, which says +4. However because i own that i am also getting extra bonuses for muscles ect. this makes it to +6.
Private 1st Class Boss_oss_ss

Postby nagerous on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:20 pm

edbeard wrote:well you have to play by your drop. if you happen to have a lot of police cars then you should probably try to get the lieutenant and commissioner. If you happen to start with a few of the four bosses, you should take over the muscles in those respective territories. then maybe take over the phones since they're easy to grab from your muscle + boss position. And/or, maybe go to the Hideout sector and grab the +1 for each muscle bonus. if you hold a junkie, you take over the stash. from there maybe try to grab the counter and runner to grab another +1. basically it's all about doing what looks best based on your drop. sometimes things'll happen so you have to do other stuff like take over the stick-up man and stop people's bonuses by bombarding their stashes. I haven't played enough games to see what actually happens though

Hey man, police cars are always neutral, in fact it is just the 4 corners that is played in, in all of my games. Is that meant to be right or is it a mistake in the xml..

It seems like only a quarter of the map is actually played on in every game.
Captain nagerous

Postby edbeard on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:29 pm

the only territories that players can have from the drop are police cars, corner junkie, runner, counter, and boss. this means that no one can have a bonus from the drop (except if they're lucky enough to grab at least 6/8 police cars.

the truth is on 1v1 games you aren't going to get the full experience. it makes no sense to go wasting your armies klobbering a bunch of neutrals when they're better used on your opponent. I'm playing quite a good 4 player game on the map where basically every territory is being used. that's really the size game it was designed for.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:28 am

How bizarre that you lot would even question this map idea ... real life crossing over to Conquer Club ... now that's clever!!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby JDDC on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Well the map seems like a quest sort of an adventure...i m gonna give it a try.
Seems great. In regrads or gangsterism, drugs, etc.. its just game n it gives more of a story line n makes it more intersting.Be a sport and try it out fellow players
James
Sergeant 1st Class JDDC

Back with a plan (updated first post with draft)

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Ok, im now working on a new perspective version of ODW, any feedback? (NE not finished, and obviously stash house or city hall (oh and pool room in hideout needs finishing))
Not entirely sure about supply either, something is annoying me about it, any thoughts?

show: poll

show: old post
Last edited by Telvannia on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Re: Back with a plan

Postby shakeycat on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Well .. come back already! :) I see that you have a really unique graphic style, which lends itself to the sorts of maps we don't typically see. I'm curious to see how you'd change the current Drug War map, since it seems you put so much work into the graphics the first time around.

And I'm sure you can find someone to assist with creative gameplay for the Castle Battle?
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Ah, that was a good map you were working on. It was a shame it got abandoned. Why not see if you can pick it up again and go supersize with it?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Telvannia on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 pm

MrBenn do you not read small print? :P Once i have eased my self back in CC, then maybe it is time to find a co-conspirator and pick up and supersize castle battle, we shall see.

shakeycat my plan would be to pretty much completely redo it without my laziness, but hopefully it would look pretty much the same just with far more detail...

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 pm

welcome back telvannia :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:28 am

Welcome back tel my old friend!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Back with a plan (Possible Revamp of Operation Drug War)

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:29 am

Cheers.

DiM when did you come back?

Any strong feelings about a revamp of operation drug war you two?
I think the problem is it is not a massively played maps so there are no real strong feelings about it. So I think i might start working on a revamp mainly for my own gain (a gateway map so to speak), and if worst comes to worst and there are strong feelings i can just stop.
By which point i will probably have got a taste for map making and be ready to pursue a bigger project.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:47 am

Telvannia wrote:MrBenn do you not read small print? :P Once i have eased my self back in CC, then maybe it is time to find a co-conspirator and pick up and supersize castle battle, we shall see.

I think MrBenn is just hoping to play this map sooner rather than later. After seeing it for the first time though, I cannot blame him.

As for Operation Drug War, I see no reason to redo it. It has a style all off it's own and changing that, it could just become another formulaic map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas