Conquer Club

Operation Drug War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Back with a plan

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:13 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Telvannia wrote:MrBenn do you not read small print? :P Once i have eased my self back in CC, then maybe it is time to find a co-conspirator and pick up and supersize castle battle, we shall see.

I think MrBenn is just hoping to play this map sooner rather than later. After seeing it for the first time though, I cannot blame him.

As for Operation Drug War, I see no reason to redo it. It has a style all off it's own and changing that, it could just become another formulaic map.

I reiterate, there will be no style change what so ever...
For example, i have only really looked at redoing the roads and here is a quick cobbled together version of some new roads and i personally think it is a massive improvement:
Click image to enlarge.

On castle battle, i will get back to it, i just need to get myself addicted again so i give it the time it needs as im not sure i have the original files anymore...
Not to mention finding someone to work on the gameplay, as i reckon it could be something amazing if it is supersized.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Re: Back with a plan (Possible Revamp of Operation Drug War)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 am

Great improvement, I think that if your target is to have everything less fuzzy, then i don't see a reason to not to go with it.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:00 am

Telvannia wrote:DiM when did you come back?

around 3 weeks ago. got back and started a new map :)

Telvannia wrote:Any strong feelings about a revamp of operation drug war you two?

i'd rather see you use your talent to make a brand new map. however if the revamp means just minor touchups that would not take long then go for that first
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi tel, its your map. Do what you want to ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Back with a plan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Telvannia wrote:On castle battle, i will get back to it, i just need to get myself addicted again so i give it the time it needs as im not sure i have the original files anymore...
Not to mention finding someone to work on the gameplay, as i reckon it could be something amazing if it is supersized.

:D :-$

Welcome back ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:02 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Great improvement, I think that if your target is to have everything less fuzzy, then i don't see a reason to not to go with it.

Is this an official go ahead? If so should i create a topic somewhere in the foundry to start this process off? Although i may wait for a complete draft before i actual post anything.

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:DiM when did you come back?

around 3 weeks ago. got back and started a new map :)

I have looked at this new map, it looks good, i will have to stop by at some point and give it a proper look over.

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:Any strong feelings about a revamp of operation drug war you two?

i'd rather see you use your talent to make a brand new map. however if the revamp means just minor touchups that would not take long then go for that first

I would hope to have a draft up by the end of the week and then depending on foundry speeds i might be able to start remaking all the models and things for a supersized castle battles so i have them ready when i move on to it.

Cheers sully, it is good to be back.
Last edited by Telvannia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 am

Telvannia wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:Great improvement, I think that if your target is to have everything less fuzzy, then i don't see a reason to not to go with it.

Is this an official go ahead? If so should i create a topic somewhere in the foundry to start this process off? Although i may wait for a complete draft before i actual post anything.

Well the way I see it, if it is your map, and all you're doing is improving the graphics, then you can do whatever you want. I believe that if you do then all you have to do is post the graphics in the original thread. I would say to pm thenobodies80 to let him know you posted a new image.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:10 pm

In my opinion, Tel, I think it would be more worth it to bring something new to the table, rather than putting a new skin on an old favorite. I'm with MrBenn on this - work on something new like Castle Battle. I'd certainly be willing to help you with the gameplay, if you'd like.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby gimil on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:In my opinion, Tel, I think it would be more worth it to bring something new to the table, rather than putting a new skin on an old favorite. I'm with MrBenn on this - work on something new like Castle Battle. I'd certainly be willing to help you with the gameplay, if you'd like.

-Sully

Agian, I would go with, Tel it is your map and your hobby. Do what you want to do ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:57 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:In my opinion, Tel, I think it would be more worth it to bring something new to the table, rather than putting a new skin on an old favorite. I'm with MrBenn on this - work on something new like Castle Battle. I'd certainly be willing to help you with the gameplay, if you'd like.

-Sully

I will get on to castle battle soon, dont you worry, i would just quite like the maps i have made to be up to a standard im happy with. Not that i was unhappy with the graphics on drug war, i just always think if i had spent more time on it it could be loads better.

And your help with gameplay may well be called upon at a later stage. We will see

Postby grifftron on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:12 am

Telvannia wrote:

-Sully

I will get on to castle battle soon, dont you worry, i would just quite like the maps i have made to be up to a standard im happy with. Not that i was unhappy with the graphics on drug war, i just always think if i had spent more time on it it could be loads better.

And your help with gameplay may well be called upon at a later stage. We will see

bravo buddy! =D>

I wish every map maker would think that way... glad to see some older foundry peeps back as well, we have enjoyed playing on their maps in the past and its good to have you back.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:39 am

As gimil said, it's your map :P

Avoid calling it a revamp, and you can continue with any graphical touch-ups in the original map thread ;) [/mod hat]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Back with a plan (updated first post with POLL)

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Just updated the first post with some graphics to gauge an idea of the opinion of how i should proceed.
Let me know what you think

Cheers Tel.

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

what software are you using?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Blender, so i now have a lovely 3D model of this map.
If you want i can post a link to the file for you to have a look at though it is messy.

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I've always been a fan of graphical quality. Personally, I'm more apt to lean to quality over quantity, so I think that going with a new look would be great. The Foundry isn't lacking on maps in progress (not that anyone should only revamp!), so I think taking time to redo some old favorites will help improve the overall quality of everything we have. I say go for it, the new stuff already looks great (I'm a big fan of perspective, though).

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Telvannia wrote:Blender, so i now have a lovely 3D model of this map.
If you want i can post a link to the file for you to have a look at though it is messy.

nice work. too bad most of the beauty is lost by taking this top-down approach :(

it's a lot of work doing every little model only to end up as a mere 10 coloured pixels on the final map.

the perspective view looks the best because it allows people to see more of your work. go with that.
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:Blender, so i now have a lovely 3D model of this map.

nice work. too bad most of the beauty is lost by taking this top-down approach :(

it's a lot of work doing every little model only to end up as a mere 10 coloured pixels on the final map.

Detail, :lol:
Dont worry i will save the detail for an actual 3D map, not a top down one, i just like using 3D programs as it saves a lot of thinking about about shadows and things.

Here is the level of detail there is:

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Telvannia wrote:Dont worry i will save the detail for an actual 3D map,

not going to happen. unfortunately true 3d maps will never exist on this site. not as long as lack insists on not using flash.
4 years ago i started a 3d map. normally 4 years is a really long time when it comes to computers and internet and yet conquerclub hasn't evolved that much.

and it's too bad because you have some real skill with 3d modelling. =D>
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:48 am

By actual 3D maps i meant ones that are not seen from top-down, ie castle battle. It is a pity true 3D will never happen.

DiM wrote:and it's too bad because you have some real skill with 3d modelling. =D>

Cheers.

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Ok, there does not seem to be much interest in this either way, therefore i may well just move on and think about this later, to be honest it has served it purpose, i am addicted again...

More to follow when i have time and a plan.

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Telvannia wrote:Ok, there does not seem to be much interest in this either way, therefore i may well just move on and think about this later, to be honest it has served it purpose, i am addicted again...

considering there are ~10 regular foundry posters, getting 7 votes means there's interest in this project. :roll:

if you were expecting 100 votes then you're in the wrong time frame. find a time machine and go back 3-4 years :)

i'd say keep going with the revamp. i really like the crisp new look. =D>
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 pm

DiM wrote:
Telvannia wrote:Ok, there does not seem to be much interest in this either way, therefore i may well just move on and think about this later, to be honest it has served it purpose, i am addicted again...

considering there are ~10 regular foundry posters, getting 7 votes means there's interest in this project. :roll:

if you were expecting 100 votes then you're in the wrong time frame. find a time machine and go back 3-4 years :)

=D>

You are right, i do miss the foundries hay day, to be honest i might as well finish off the revamp now it is under way, and while im doing that i can devote my brain to planning.
Hopefully i can get something done by the end of the week which is a complete draft.
Also unless anyone has any really strong feelings i dont think i will change the legend much, if at all, my main focus will be on redoing the 3D part of the map.

Re: Back with a plan (updated first post with draft)

Postby Telvannia on Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Ok, im now working on a new perspective version of ODW, any feedback? (NE not finished, and obviously stash house or city hall (oh and pool room in hideout needs finishing))
Not entirely sure about supply either, something is annoying me about it, any thoughts?

Re: Back with a plan (updated first post with draft)

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:57 pm

i'm not too fond of the top right corner curl.
however you do need to make the image look like an actual photo. and this can be easily achieved by giving it a small white margin (optional) and a central curvature.

something like this:
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas