Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Hawaii Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Hawaii Map - w/ poll (updated Jan 24)

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:22 am

RjBeals wrote:here's a feeble attempt at another hawaii map a few years ago. Not much there - but worth a quick read.

But look what I did with the water there - you may want to make the ocean a cool pattern instead of the swimming pool feel it has now.

You forgot the link
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

yeah it's there now.
Private RjBeals

Postby Riskismy on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Are you talking of the first map in the first post?

I can only see the second map, and the ocean doesn't appear at all patterned to me.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby RjBeals on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Riskismy wrote:Are you talking of the first map in the first post?

I can only see the second map, and the ocean doesn't appear at all patterned to me.

no the little sample map. subtle pattern, but its there
Private RjBeals

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:47 pm

that is aesthetically pleasing.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby esiemer on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 am

I love that background RjBeals and with your permission will incorporate it into the map.

sorry everyone for the long delay in a new update, ive been trying to do things with gimp since my photoshop free trial ran out, but i'm getting nowhere.

another few paychecks and/or a free saturday to download another trial version and i will have a new version up.

Mahalo for all patience and input and support

Aloha!!
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm

esiemer, check out natty's gimp tutorials in the Foundry Tools, Tutorials, and Guides Forum.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby esiemer on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:esiemer, check out natty's gimp tutorials in the Foundry Tools, Tutorials, and Guides Forum.

will do. thanks for the tip.
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:10 pm

After a fortnightly review, I noticed there hasn't been an update for sometime. So, come the next fortnightly review, if there isn't an update made, we will have to move into the Recycling Bin until the mapmaker makes an update. :cry:
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby esiemer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm

roger that. can you give me until July 4th? if we don't have an update, recycle me brah.
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Okay, we can do that. ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby esiemer on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:23 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, we can do that. ;)

Here's a new update with revisions you suggested on Jan 27th. There is a lot of work still to be done, but before I start to make it look pretty we can solve gameplay problems. I gave the territories generic names so its easier to count and debate them. I didn't give the boats names.
42 Territories + 6 boats (which start as neutral 3) = 48 total

**image moved to end of thread**
Last edited by esiemer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant esiemer

Re: Hawaii Map -[05 Jul 2011]

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Gameplay still looks good. Can you put all the info on the map please so it will be easier to figure out without going back through the thread? Thank you and looking forward to your next update.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Hawaii Map -[05 Jul 2011]

Postby esiemer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:52 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Gameplay still looks good. Can you put all the info on the map please so it will be easier to figure out without going back through the thread? Thank you and looking forward to your next update.

here's small version with info on the map to facilitate better feedback:
big version is in OP, i can add it here if requested

Lieutenant esiemer

Re: Hawaii Map -[updated 11 July]

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Here are my thoughts gameplay-wise:
  • Kauai: +3 or +4
  • Niihau and Kahoolawe: +1 each (alternatively, you could make these auto-deploys, or make them +2 for both)
  • Oahu: +5
  • Molokai: +2
  • Lanai: +2
  • Maui: +4
  • Hawaii: +6
  • Outriggers: +1 for 2, +2 for 3, +4 for 4, +6 for 5, +9 for all 6 (gives a more exponential feel; it seemed odd that the outrigger bonus interval went down from 4 boats to 5)
Also, I assume the outriggers are not apart of the continent bonuses? And I think you should consider moving the H2-Ko1 border to H3. just to open up Hawaii a bit more.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby esiemer on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Here are my thoughts gameplay-wise:
  • Kauai: +3 or +4
  • Niihau and Kahoolawe: +1 each (alternatively, you could make these auto-deploys, or make them +2 for both)
  • Oahu: +5
  • Molokai: +2
  • Lanai: +2
  • Maui: +4
  • Hawaii: +6
  • Outriggers: +1 for 2, +2 for 3, +4 for 4, +6 for 5, +9 for all 6 (gives a more exponential feel; it seemed odd that the outrigger bonus interval went down from 4 boats to 5)
Also, I assume the outriggers are not apart of the continent bonuses? And I think you should consider moving the H2-Ko1 border to H3. just to open up Hawaii a bit more.

-Sully

Thanks Sully. I will go with whatever bonus suggestions that the experts advise. The only thing I don't want to do is combine islands. I like the idea of +1 autodeploy for Niihau and Kahoolawe. Otherwise someone will start the game with too much of an advantage in my opinion. Another idea would be to split those tiny islands into 2 territories each.

Moving the attack route from Ko1 to H3 is brilliant. Hawaii is not open enough for my tastes, I was thinking of maybe adding another outrigger to H4 also (thats the bay where Capt Cook was killed). Whichever combination of these ideas gains the most support I will go with.

Outrigger canoes are not part of continent bonuses. I will make that clear in next edition. Your canoe bonuses make sense to me, but I will go with the consensus.
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Remember, you can set starting neutrals as well as starting positions. I imagine the islands will likely be starting neutral 2's. Also, I think you should leave the islands in tact, instead of splitting them into 2 territories. Most territories on the other islands are around the same size, so I don't think it's necessary to split them into two tiny pieces.

The danger with putting an outrigger in Hawaii is that the one holding Hawaii would gain an additional +1 for holding it if he also held the two outriggers on the island. I suppose this could be remedied by lowering the continent bonus by 1 or adjusting the outrigger bonus, but I think you should refrain from doing so for now.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby saberty on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Looking good Esiemer. Let me know what i can do to help.
Lieutenant saberty

Postby esiemer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Here are my thoughts gameplay-wise: I think you should consider moving the H2-Ko1 border to H3. just to open up Hawaii a bit more.

-Sully

done. and i like it better.
i could also add more attack routes if you all think i should. just tell me where:

Lieutenant esiemer

Re: Hawaii Map -[updated 13 July]

Postby natty dread on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 pm

Your territory labels are way too big, where will the numbers go?

Also proper names for territories would be good.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:37 pm

I'd also suggest lowering the outrigger neutrals to 2, since otherwise you'd have to go through 6 neutrals and a player's stack to break a player's bonus, as opposed to the adjusted 4 neutrals.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby esiemer on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:I'd also suggest lowering the outrigger neutrals to 2, since otherwise you'd have to go through 6 neutrals and a player's stack to break a player's bonus, as opposed to the adjusted 4 neutrals.

-Sully

sounds good. next update will have outriggers start at 2 neutral. What do people think about Kahoolawe and Niihau starting at 3 neutral and being +1 bonus. Does that mess up the # of territories? It would be 40 start random, 2 islands start neutral 3 and 6 boats start neutral 2.

natty_dread wrote:Your territory labels are way too big, where will the numbers go?
Also proper names for territories would be good.

I have proper names for territories, but since I've been erasing & redrawing them its a pain to keep adding them. as soon as you guys tell me that the # of territories and attack routes and bonuses and borders are all cool, i will bring back territory names, number circles and tiki font --- or more likely, saberty will do it :D

we may do it soon anyway, but i thought gameplay came before graphics. or is it different now that they combined into "main foundry workshop"?
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:11 am

esiemer wrote:i thought gameplay came before graphics

Generally speaking yes, gameplay comes first - in the sense that you get the gameplay stamp first. However in practice some graphical work is necessary for the gameplay stage.

Think of it this way: you start out working on both gameplay & graphics. When you get the gameplay stamp, the gameplay is done and you only work on graphics.

It's also best to work on the large map before the gp stamp, and start working on both size maps when the gameplay is done.

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:18 am

I'm going to step in right quick and say that while I understand the Letter-Number designations and the notes of suggestions, it's making this map look WAY rougher than it should be at this point in time. Stick with some bonus values, put the graphical touches that you want there anyway, and start developing the map's graphics more. To have it halfway between a pure gameplay draft (a la Evil Dimwit) and typical map's development likely isn't doing it any favors.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby esiemer on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:27 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I'm going to step in right quick and say that while I understand the Letter-Number designations and the notes of suggestions, it's making this map look WAY rougher than it should be at this point in time. Stick with some bonus values, put the graphical touches that you want there anyway, and start developing the map's graphics more. To have it halfway between a pure gameplay draft (a la Evil Dimwit) and typical map's development likely isn't doing it any favors.

duly noted. next update ill restore the names and start work on graphics.
coming soon...
Lieutenant esiemer

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box