Conquer Club

Imperium Romanum [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Imperium Romanum [Quenched]

Postby Aradhus on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 pm

I like this map an awful lot. In a game with lots of players I think the cohors get used. I've taken them once, or twice. Never the classis though, never seen anybody take them, and given that they're so difficult to obtain I would be in favour of completely changing that bonus. Not just reducing the neutrals on them, I would change the bonus, and maybe even the routes on the map in relation to the boats. Otherwise they're just pointless.
Major Aradhus

Postby eigenvector on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Aradhus wrote:I like this map an awful lot. In a game with lots of players I think the cohors get used. I've taken them once, or twice. Never the classis though, never seen anybody take them, and given that they're so difficult to obtain I would be in favour of completely changing that bonus. Not just reducing the neutrals on them, I would change the bonus, and maybe even the routes on the map in relation to the boats. Otherwise they're just pointless.

Hear Hear!
Cook eigenvector

Postby Gilligan on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Aradhus wrote:I like this map an awful lot. In a game with lots of players I think the cohors get used. I've taken them once, or twice. Never the classis though, never seen anybody take them, and given that they're so difficult to obtain I would be in favour of completely changing that bonus. Not just reducing the neutrals on them, I would change the bonus, and maybe even the routes on the map in relation to the boats. Otherwise they're just pointless.

Once or twice isn't that much...Because taking 12 armies isn't really worth a +3 bonus, especially when other players have Civitates Romanum and will be ready to bust you up when you get the bonus.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Gilligan on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:41 am

Here's what qwert said via PM to me.

Classis Romanvm(ships).
Here what i think-i can reduce neutrals to be 1 army,in this way they will become much interesting for play,and easy for capture. And from mine experience,nobody will be in advantage to take this bonuses easy.

Cohors Praetoria and Roma.
Now from mine view this could be reduce to 2 neutral per territory,except Roma who will be reduce to 1 neutral.But then Italia territory need to be 3 neutral,because player who get this territory will be in small advantage.

This is what im thinking.

Classis - If we do 1 neutral, we would probably need to lower the amount needed. 3 for 1 or 2 armies sounds good to me.

Cohors - 1 neutral on Roma sounds fine. A 2 on everything else (Including Italia) also sounds good.

Any other ideas?
Captain Gilligan

Postby nippersean on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 am

I like Qwerts plan but just one thing to be careful of imo is low neutrals as '1's - if they are safe they may be too strong as per getting cheap card and having ter bonus. It's hard work early on in this map to get to +4 and the extra armies are valuable.
I'd be careful about swinging it too much the other way - if you get dropped by a boat (or more) with 1 neutral on it I think you would have a very nice start. Many people play it flat rate and it's a mission to get early cards.

In 1v1 that getting to 15 ters (and reducing opponent to 11) is vital early on.

I'd have the boats as 2 but adjust the bonus - less of them required, maybe 3 for +2.

Italia 2 (or3!), Roma 1, them dogs 2 sounds OK as Italia starts neutral - nice to own tho. Maybe that could be switched slightly so the doggies were more worth going for and Roma wasn't a cheap (and protected) ter. Say 2 Roma and doggies 2,2,1?

A long winded way of saying no-one goes for these things as they are too expensive in low bonus / army count environment.
Now the 4/7 boats that are attached to non neutral ters are v nice at 1 neutral (too nice) and the attached ters too important on the drop?

It'd certainly change the gameplay to focus on Italy - with Roma, the dogs and a boat.

Aside - why isn't there an offline testing ground for a group of people to try these things in practice rather than guess / be hypothetical and unleash on Joe Public in Beta (which everyone rushes to)?
Brigadier nippersean

Postby talonz on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

MAP BUG

Was trying to reinforce Pannonia Superior this morning from Dacia and noticed that Superior was not in the end point list while Inferior was listed twice. Will test again from various points given the chance.
Colonel talonz

Postby kmhebert on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Those Classis are pointless! Change them to 99 neutrals, what's the difference? MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Sergeant kmhebert

Postby Augustus Maximus on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

I have played this map a couple of times now, and it seems to me that the Asia Minor portion of the map has a large number of the bonuses. The ones located there are practically equal to number available on the rest of the map. In the games I have played on it, the early fighting is all over that area. The winner of that battle then has a definite edge over the the others located elsewhere and invariably goes on to win the game. Perhaps something can be done to balance out the map. Beatica, Aquitania, and Germania Inferior could probably stand to have a bonus add to make them worthwhile. Especially since they were important provinces of the Empire.
Private 1st Class Augustus Maximus

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 am

Augustus Maximus wrote:I have played this map a couple of times now, and it seems to me that the Asia Minor portion of the map has a large number of the bonuses. The ones located there are practically equal to number available on the rest of the map. In the games I have played on it, the early fighting is all over that area. The winner of that battle then has a definite edge over the the others located elsewhere and invariably goes on to win the game. Perhaps something can be done to balance out the map. Beatica, Aquitania, and Germania Inferior could probably stand to have a bonus add to make them worthwhile. Especially since they were important provinces of the Empire.

There's a new, improved rome map under construction in the main foundry. You should check it out.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Augustus Maximus on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes, I have seen it and have been following its development. I wouldn't mind giving it try once it reaches Beta. However it is a different type of map, so I thought I would just offer my observations on this one.
Private 1st Class Augustus Maximus

Previous

Return to The Atlas