Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Divine Meteo Condition

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Divine Meteorological Condition [11 Jun 201

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Obrens wrote:The god of sky and father of all gods in Slavic mythology is Svarog, not Perun. Of course, it would be a shame to lose Perun completely, since he is the most popular Slavic god. So, I don't know, do what you want. Just wanted to tell you.

No, see, that's great input. Is there any better position that Perun could be put in?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 am

very interesting map. I missed it because I thought it is about weather or something with meteorology... :-s

here my little input about Slavs gods:

-Svarog was demiurge of all the world and also of others gods.
-Perun was ruler of gods, close to Jupiter, but also ruler of storm and lightning. he was something as Thor or Donnar. also god of war.
-Morana (sometimes Morena) - maybe better add her to yours Trickster. she was goddess of destiny. also of winter and death.
-for god of underworld would be better Veles (but his disrepute become after christianisation) or Chors - god of night and moon, ruler of werewolfs.

there is no Slavs god of underworld, I do not know about any. no one as Hades.
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm

If Morana's the goddess of death, I'd think that automatically qualifies her for the position of 'death deity'.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:38 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:If Morana's the goddess of death, I'd think that automatically qualifies her for the position of 'death deity'.

from this view yes. :)

Postby Obrens on Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Hmm, well... Morena is more like connected to dying, and Veles is more connected to the underworld. Also, I see "evil" gods like Set and Loki in the trickster spot, so I think it would be best to switch Morena and Veles. As for Perun, you might follow theBastard's advice and put Svarog as the sky god and Perun as the god of war. That way you lose Vid, but except for Serbs, I don't think he is really that popular among other Slavs.
Private Obrens

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:09 am

Obrens wrote:Hmm, well... Morena is more like connected to dying, and Veles is more connected to the underworld. Also, I see "evil" gods like Set and Loki in the trickster spot, so I think it would be best to switch Morena and Veles.

Trickster is more of a personality than a good-evil thing. You've got Set and Loki, but you've also got more heroic figures like Enki and Gwydion.
But if all the Slavs say switch Morena and Veles, I guess I should listen to the Slavs. And I'll definitely make Sky Svarog and War Perun.

At any rate: Right now I'm thinking of replacing the pantheon icons with something that looks less temple-like. To wit, I'm trying to come up with different icons for each civilization. Right now I'm thinking:

Babylon: Dingir, the cuneiform symbol for 'deity'
Carthage: Some Phoenician letters? Not sure what else I could put.
Celts: A Celtic knot, natch
Egypt: Some Hieroglyphic symbol or other
Greeks: A Greek key pattern?
Norse: Perhaps some runes. Or is that too many where I just use the local alphabet?
Roman: So it's temple-like, but the silhouette of the Pantheon itself may suffice here.
Slavic: I might need some help on this one too
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:14 am

For Norse, you could use the ansuz rune: Image

For Egypt, maybe an Ankh? Image
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 am

Ankh's a good idea, though it's a bit vertical for an army shadow. For the rune, I'm thinking I'll put more than one, for the same reason.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:44 am

You can make them a bit wider, proportionally. I would use the single rune for Norse - the ansuz rune means "a god of Aesir" so it's a good fit.

Postby theBastard on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am

what exactly you need for Slavs? symbol of gods or?

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:13 pm

natty_dread wrote:You can make them a bit wider, proportionally. I would use the single rune for Norse - the ansuz rune means "a god of Aesir" so it's a good fit.

That works. I was thinking of spelling out "Aesir" which would certainly be wide enough.
I could also do some other design for the Norse, like a more Norse-style knot, if there's a difference.

theBastard wrote:what exactly you need for Slavs? symbol of gods or?

Some symbol associated in general with the Slavic religion or divinity in that culture.

Incidentally, I'm wondering, how prevalent in your culture is all the old Slavic mythology? Is this something just like anyone knows, or do you learn the stories in school, or how's that work?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Obrens on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Check this page out: http://www.slavorum.com/index.php?topic=132.0
Three I recognise best are:
The first symbol in the third post. The one that resebles a flower a bit. It is sometimes asociated to Dajbog and sometimes to Svarog. That is, from my experience, the only one that is not just a part of history or neopaganism. You can see it often as ornaments on houses in my area.
The third symbol in the third post. The one that has 4 swastikas in it. I think this symbol (The Hands of God) might be asociated with gods' supremacy, but don't take my word.
The symbol in the last post. It is called Kolovrat, and it is probably the most popular one among neopagans. Personally, I think this one would be best for your map.

In school we learn very little of our mythology. Less educated people will hardly be able to name any Slavic god except for Perun maybe. Heck, many educated people as well. But orthodox Slavs have saved many old Slavic traditions and believes. The problem is that most people are not aware that most of our customs related to holidays like Christmass are actually left-overs of old Slavic religion. Educated people know that there are many left-overs, but they are oblivious to which customs are Christian and which are old Slavic.
Private Obrens

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Y'know, that's interesting. Part of why I ask is because I grew up in Israel and there we learned the Torah in middle school -- of course, not a breath on the old Semitic gods that came beforehand, but with so much religion around the area already that may just be too much to ask.

I'll use the Kolovrat.

I also did some research on Carthaginian symbolism, and I think for them I'll use the Sign of Tanit:
which looks quite similar to an ankh but is probably the best symbol for the job. For Egypt I may use the Eye of Horus instead; it's certainly a distinctive symbol.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby theBastard on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:34 am

Kolovrat is fine. this is another version
Click image to enlarge.

the main problem why we do not know much about our "barbarian" times is christianism. I do not know how it is in rest of Europe (France, Britain, Germany) but to this countries become christianism very early. I think there are a little people in Brittain who know about "barbarian" religion of old Brittish nations or Anglo-Saxons. the Scandinavia has maybe a little advantage - here become christianism later.

we do not learn much about our "barbarian" religion. but in some places people still keep some old "barbarian" consuetudes - for example in the first spring time they hurl Morena to the river and drown her.

in Israel, as you mentioned, is still the same religion as 2000 years before, so therefore they learn Torah in schools.

Postby natty dread on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 am

theBastard wrote:the Scandinavia has maybe a little advantage - here become christianism later.

Nope, the pope destroyed our culture as well.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 am

Since we are in one big happy main foundry workshop now, I will unsticky this until it is very close to entering the Final Forge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Obrens on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:07 pm

natty_dread wrote:
theBastard wrote:the Scandinavia has maybe a little advantage - here become christianism later.

Nope, the pope destroyed our culture as well.

Don't be too hard on the guy.... actually, I don't know what to say in his defense. :P

I just wanted to tell you: Don't get the wrong impression from my previous posts, I'm not neopagan, but Christian. Sorry for the off-topic.

Now about the map. I don't like the underworld. It doesn't make sense that there are altars, crypts and portals down there, and there is nothing that could really be found in the underworld in pagan religions. It doesn't fit well in the story of the map IMHO. Seems like it's forced in there.

I must congratulate you. Even if you made no changes to it, I would really like to play the map. =D> =D> =D>
Private Obrens

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 pm

Obrens wrote:Now about the map. I don't like the underworld. It doesn't make sense that there are altars, crypts and portals down there, and there is nothing that could really be found in the underworld in pagan religions. It doesn't fit well in the story of the map IMHO. Seems like it's forced in there.

That part of the map is based directly on Risk: Godstorm, which is the main inspiration for this map. Godstorm's underworld has portals, altars, and crypts, so this one does too.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm

Looks like your missing some 88's on Tartary. Also, entrances to the underworld, not digging on the color all that much. How do you get into the underworld?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:Looks like your missing some 88's on Tartary.

Will do.

Also, entrances to the underworld, not digging on the color all that much.

Will do.

How do you get into the underworld?

Through Death gods.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Nice! Maybe just keep black dots. It maybe be simple but there are a lot of us simpletons on CC. :P
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:36 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
DiM wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Well, on one hand they are graphical, and on the other, they are for gameplay clarity.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the current image is just a crude draft to support gameplay discussion. once gameplay is set i'm sure dimwit will come up with a whole new graphic presentation.

This is true as well.

any news on this graphic overhaul? or are you waiting to get the gameplay badge?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Really I'm waiting for my Real Life situation to stabilize -- I'm starting work in Boston next week and the moving, among other things, is taking up a lot of my time.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:35 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: [Vacation - valid untill Feb 2012] - Divine Meteo Condit

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Yeah, no, I thought about it, I'd love to follow back through with this map but I just don't think I can do the theme justice without some serious epic painting, and I just don't have time/energy for serious epic painting nowadays. Not that it's ever particularly been my calling.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Previous

Return to Recycling Box