Conquer Club

California [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: California

Postby PROFITS on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 pm

The Bison King wrote:No disrespect but just because the perspective is scewwed to make southern California look bigger, doesn't actually make it bigger. Also Southern Cali's population isn't greater. The majority of south Cali is an empty desert. LA is the 2nd most populous city in the US true, but just because there is one big city there doesn't mean that the whole of Southern Cali is more populated.

The Geography stands. California is shaped as it is.

The top 3 most populous Counties in California are ALL in So Cal (Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County).
Colonel PROFITS

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 5.1

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm

*Sigh*

The way I see it, you had your chance to speak up with regard to gameplay (i.e. the inclusion/separation of Orange County and the like) when this map was in the Gameplay Workshop (prior to the existence of the Main Foundry Workshop).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby PROFITS on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:*Sigh*

The way I see it, you had your chance to speak up with regard to gameplay (i.e. the inclusion/separation of Orange County and the like) when this map was in the Gameplay Workshop (prior to the existence of the Main Foundry Workshop).

-Sully

Yeah, unfortunately I just found out about this. I'm just a little bummed as I've been hoping for a California map for a long time and hoped it would be well represented :geek: Anyways, if there's any way to consider it, that would be nice. I'm not just saying this because I'm from O.C, but I'd make the same recommendation if I were to see a map of New York state with large regions of mountains, lakes, or whatever and very little emphasis on New York City and it's 5 boroughs.

If at all possible, the entertainment capitl of the world could have more space on this map with Hollywood being the capital of L.A. Maybe O.C could have a Mickey ears symbol in the center of it as it is one of the largest tourist attractions in the world. This would make the map more attractive, people will almost feel like they are touring the great state of California as they are playing. :)
Colonel PROFITS

Postby ender516 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 am

Lord, don't pick the Mickey ears on the map! Disney will have Conquer Club shut down and padlocked for trademark infringement before you can say Jack Robinson.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Gilligan on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Jack Robi....

Shit
Captain Gilligan

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:01 pm

PROFITS wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:*Sigh*

-Sully

Yeah, unfortunately I just found out about this. I'm just a little bummed as I've been hoping for a California map for a long time and hoped it would be well represented :geek: Anyways, if there's any way to consider it, that would be nice. I'm not just saying this because I'm from O.C, but I'd make the same recommendation if I were to see a map of New York state with large regions of mountains, lakes, or whatever and very little emphasis on New York City and it's 5 boroughs.

If at all possible, the entertainment capitl of the world could have more space on this map with Hollywood being the capital of L.A. Maybe O.C could have a Mickey ears symbol in the center of it as it is one of the largest tourist attractions in the world. This would make the map more attractive, people will almost feel like they are touring the great state of California as they are playing. :)

I once thought about making an O.C. map. A buddy of mine lives in Huntington and suggested it to me.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby Peter Gibbons on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I haven't been commenting in the foundry like I used to, but I still lurk (and hope to come back a little more if time allows). I just wanted to pop up to say that it seems like things are getting more held up than usual. I know that was a standard complaint, but it seems very true here. I understand there is nit-picking to be done, but there reaches a point where certain small things should be left to the mapmaker's personal opinion or ironed out in Beta. How long has this been in "Final Forge?" It's been here for 3 months and has had an XML stamp for a month. I don't see a reason for this not to be in Beta at this point.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby Vlasov on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Agreed! Let's play California in Beta, without having to address everyone's particular fancies (mine are Catalina Island and Lake Tahoe). BisonKing has done an exemplary job.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:25 pm

When I made my first map, which is incidentally being revamped currently, some guy from Denmark was horribly offended when Denmark's bonus was (is) only 3 on the map. He said "Denmark is such an important and powerful country that there's no way it's bonus should be so much less than Sweden or Norway!"

I tried to calmly explain, that no matter how much political power a country has in the real world, if it's only a few territories on a map and has only 2 borders, it's bonus has to be low for gameplay purposes.

Gameplay balance needs to be first priority (as we recently bitterly learned on the Korea map) over historical, geographical, economical etc. accuracy. There will always be someone who lives in Poland or whatever and thinks his country should give a +10 autodeploy... however, it's much more important to make sure the map plays well than to worry about things like who's got the biggest cities or most money in the real world.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:I haven't been commenting in the foundry like I used to, but I still lurk (and hope to come back a little more if time allows). I just wanted to pop up to say that it seems like things are getting more held up than usual. I know that was a standard complaint, but it seems very true here. I understand there is nit-picking to be done, but there reaches a point where certain small things should be left to the mapmaker's personal opinion or ironed out in Beta. How long has this been in "Final Forge?" It's been here for 3 months and has had an XML stamp for a month. I don't see a reason for this not to be in Beta at this point.

Hey, Peter! :) Unfortunately, we can't know why exactly this is the case, since we don't know what's going on with the CAs "behind the scenes", but I assure you, they have their reasonings. I bet they are just as eager as the mapmakers to get all these maps in the Foundry into Beta! Of course, they (as well as the mapmakers, I'm sure) want to make sure that everything is in order and of the CC quality we've all come to expect. Patience is a fruit ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Well part of the hold up is my fault. I've been abysmally slow about updating, I've been busy with things in RL and even in the foundry I'm a bit over extended. That's more the reason I'd like to see this advance into beta quickly, so I can focus more on Colonial Africa and Westeros. Another part of it is that I just don't feel like there's anything left to upload. We've gone over the Orange county thing, I said my piece, and Natty's most recent post sums it up pretty well, as well. As far as the title goes, asking for things like more umph is pretty vague, and I rather like the current fonts, I know I've gone over that numerous times. However, it is a little bare I admit, so I played around with it a bit and well... I know the palm tree is kind of dorky but I think it actually kind of works. If you guys like it great! if not meh, I guess there wont be a palm tree.

TBK

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:46 am

You posted two large maps.

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 am

natty_dread wrote:You posted two large maps.

Oops 8-[ ... do you like the tree?
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 am

I think it's neat :) Maps need more dorks on CC, anyway.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:58 am

The tree is fine, but "The golden state of" text still doesn't look right. Make it straight and closer to the title, next to the palm tree, and maybe a bit smaller... and it'll be great.

Also move the palm tree right a bit, so that it's under the "I" letter.

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:50 am

The tree is fine, but "The golden state of" text still doesn't look right. Make it straight and closer to the title, next to the palm tree, and maybe a bit smaller... and it'll be great.

I'll move it closer but the title stays. : P

Also move the palm tree right a bit, so that it's under the "I" letter.

How 'bout left under the N

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Sergeant The Bison King

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 5.2

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 pm

I prefer the old version, to be honest. That dark palm, I don't know if it fits so much with the rest of the map. :-k

TBK, I'd like to have this one ready for Beta asap, so I'll leave to you the final decision, honestly I don't see something that makes it unplayable.
It's your map, don't forget this. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:06 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I prefer the old version, to be honest. That dark palm, I don't know if it fits so much with the rest of the map. :-k

TBK, I'd like to have this one ready for Beta asap, so I'll leave to you the final decision, honestly I don't see something that makes it unplayable.
It's your map, don't forget this. ;)

Nobodies

IMO, I think it ties in the darker elements (mainly the title texts) in with the Californian theme, if that makes sense. But like you said, it's up to TBK. Totally psyched to see this Beta-fied.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Vlasov on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Palm tree = good! Anticipating Betafication!
Cadet Vlasov

Re: California [24 Jun 2011] 5.3 Beta Files

Postby The Bison King on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 am

Last edited by The Bison King on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

I think I'll keep the tree. I made it slightly more transparent so that it does feel as contrasty.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am

Do I see wrong? There seems to be some white in the palm tree...

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:08 am

natty_dread wrote:Do I see wrong? There seems to be some white in the palm tree...

shouldn't be, I'll look closer.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Vlasov on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:04 pm

(.... The whiteness in the palm tree is the spirit of Arnold Schwarzenegger, former governor of California....)
Cadet Vlasov

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas