Conquer Club

Classic cities: London [19.2.12] p27

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.
Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: London [6.9.11]

Postby gimil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:58 pm

You were right that font is naff, the word 'Britian' looked better in that font than 'london' does. What I think the problem is, is that all the major typography (i.e. continent names on the map and the legends) are in serif fonts, but your title has only been done in sans-serif. Maybe a sans-serif font is what is missing.

Just incase anyone doesn't know the difference between a serif and sans-serif font:
ImageSerif font (serifs in red)

If you really like the metro font then maybe transferring the legends and continent names on the map to a sans-serif, or even the metro font itself will help bring the title in more. although I still argue that the metro font doesn't fit with general aesthetics of the map.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:06 pm

All the territory names on the map are already sans-serif. The only thing serif are the bonus names and legend, but the legend is likely to be changed anyway. The bonus names...

Also, I don't think an image can only have serif or sans-serif fonts.

I will probably use the metro font on the title. I think it's the best choice available.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby gimil on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:11 pm

natty_dread wrote:All the territory names on the map are already sans-serif. The only thing serif are the bonus names and legend, but the legend is likely to be changed anyway. The bonus names...

Also, I don't think an image can only have serif or sans-serif fonts.

I will probably use the metro font on the title. I think it's the best choice available.

I know that the terr names are sans-serif. I didn't mean to apply that a map can only have one or the other. What I meant that in this situation, in my opinion, the larger typography would benefit from either one or the other (the terr names are so small in comparison they don't really clash).

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm

I might entertain the idea of changing the bonus names to a sans-serif font. We'll see if that works out, but now I'm going to need some sleep, so I'll look into it tomrrow.

Re: London

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:i think the gameplay is really poor.

you have no small continents. no equivalent for australia or south america from classic.

There is a small bonus now. Northwest was split into Northwest & West. And there's the city bonus.

huh... how the heck did i miss the split? :shock:

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:i would personally split one of the big continents or even both. but if that's not doable i'd love to see a whole different gameplay.
more precise, i'd love to see a bleak london taking bombardments from the nazi in ww2. you could even add the unfinished vergeltungswaffe 3 and make it like an alternate reality.

Sorry but that's not going to happen for this map.

actually it did happen. ;)
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 am

I meant the different gameplay...

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

Anywho,

Click image to enlarge.

Re: London [7.9.11]

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 am

I don't know if its too late for this but I am just thinking of what you use to always say to new maps about "stepping out & being different" then maps already out there... this looks a lot like other maps that are out already, basic game play, just of London... anything different you could add to the map natty?

Just an idea, hopefully not taken negative.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 am

This will be a standard gameplay map... I'm honoring the wishes of Bruceswar who created the original gameplay.

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 am

natty_dread wrote:This will be a standard gameplay map... I'm honoring the wishes of Bruceswar who created the original gameplay.

fair enough... was just saying 8-[
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 am

The new font across the board looks much better and consistent now. Good work natty

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 am

Bonuses in a more logical order...

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:49 am

I wonder if I could split off a Northeast bonus area... would it be terribly inaccurate?

Postby Pedronicus on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:07 am

natty_dread wrote:I wonder if I could split off a Northeast bonus area... would it be terribly inaccurate?

It would be inaccurate . Here is a map of London with the postcode areas.

London is split into 5 main areas in the outskirts.
North (N)
East (E)
South East (SE)
South West (SW)
West (W)
and NW

There are some small areas in the middle which allow for the cities of London (EC) and Westminster (WC) - but your map works okay with removing Westminster and making city a small bonus.

If you're doing a London map, then surely you want to educate people in how the city is laid out.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:53 am

Ok then, in that case the current layout stays...

Colour tweak on the upper area + sigs moved...

Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 am

Natty, you are going to have to remove the England flag from the city of London. Please.
A couple of reason but the main one is it is now seen as the symbol of racism in the UK. Look at the current EDL news and you will see why. Also, London is the capital of the United Kingdom and not England. England has no separate capital like Cardiff for Wales, Belfast for Northern Ireland and Edinburgh for Scotland.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:A couple of reason but the main one is it is now seen as the symbol of racism in the UK.

We can't let assholes usurp our symbols for their uses forever. First it's the swastika and now no one can use it and if it's used for it's original use people get all huffy. And now we even get actual real flags that are still in use that can't be used anymore because some bunch of asshole has decided to usurp them for their cause? When will the madness end?

koontz1973 wrote:London is the capital of the United Kingdom and not England. England has no separate capital like Cardiff for Wales, Belfast for Northern Ireland and Edinburgh for Scotland.

But London is in England.

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 pm

natty_dread wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:A couple of reason but the main one is it is now seen as the symbol of racism in the UK.

We can't let assholes usurp our symbols for their uses forever. First it's the swastika and now no one can use it and if it's used for it's original use people get all huffy. And now we even get actual real flags that are still in use that can't be used anymore because some bunch of asshole has decided to usurp them for their cause? When will the madness end?

koontz1973 wrote:London is the capital of the United Kingdom and not England. England has no separate capital like Cardiff for Wales, Belfast for Northern Ireland and Edinburgh for Scotland.

I agree that the English flag doesn't really belong on this map if you are going for a British theme. Doesn't seem fair to include England and not include Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

But I don't think the English flag is associated with racism... in fact I know it is not. It is Englands sovereign flag. It does look similar to the 'Red hand of ulster' flag that is used my Irish Unonists.

This flag is more closely tied with bigotry and terrorism in Northern Ireland, and is not a government sanctioned flag. But the normal english flat (used on this map) is not associated with racism.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

gimil wrote:I agree that the English flag doesn't really belong on this map if you are going for a British theme. Doesn't seem fair to include England and not include Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

Isn't it?

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:04 pm

natty_dread wrote:
gimil wrote:I agree that the English flag doesn't really belong on this map if you are going for a British theme. Doesn't seem fair to include England and not include Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

Isn't it?

Who knows. I consider myself 'British' (as oppose to Scottish) and see London as the capital of the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. So to me, London is British, not English. But is just one of a number of opinions that people in the UK have. The political landscape in this country in this respect, is interested. But I would suggest that you either represent London as the capital or Britain OR the capital of England. Have one flag on the map, or the other.

In my opinion I would say go with Union Jack.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:26 pm

Hm, ok then.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for taking it out, I am not saying the English flag is racist or in any way like the swastika, but a lot of people view it that way. If you want a symbol for the City, try a normal pound sign.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:40 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Thanks for taking it out, I am not saying the English flag is racist or in any way like the swastika, but a lot of people view it that way. If you want a symbol for the City, try a normal pound sign.

Where has your idea that the English flag is viewed that way? I have never heard of such a thing.

(unless your talking about English Football supporters, that is a different story.)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:59 pm

gimil wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Thanks for taking it out, I am not saying the English flag is racist or in any way like the swastika, but a lot of people view it that way. If you want a symbol for the City, try a normal pound sign.

Where has your idea that the English flag is viewed that way? I have never heard of such a thing.

(unless your talking about English Football supporters, that is a different story.)

Growing up in London does that to you.

Football hooliganism in the 80's and more recently with the BNP and the EDL. Remember, London now has a huge population of none English people, (around 50% not born in the UK) and flying the flag has caused a lot of problems. As seen over the last weekend when the EDL had a march in London. The only time over the last few years it has been "acceptable" to fly it is during the world cup. It was Blair (I think) or Brown that made a speech during the run up to the last world cup saying they wanted to take it back from a fringe element. And that is the whole point, a small minority has caused problems for the rest of us who are proud to be British or like myself, English.

Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Interesting. You learning something new everyday. Cheers for the sociology lesson, Koontz!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas