Conquer Club

Chinese Checkers [Quenched] May '07 re-opener?

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby s.xkitten on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:00 pm

yeah...like i said...its still a great map...
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:04 pm

can the map still suffer modifications??

by looking at it in the game i noticed this:

2007-03-17 23:52:47 - DiM: i just realized that Q&T letters in the central hexagon are a bit off.
2007-03-17 23:53:32 - DiM: compare Q to the E-K line and T with the H-L line
2007-03-17 23:55:46 - DiM: also letter E from orange should be a bit to the left
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby s.xkitten on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:08 pm

oh gimme a break...does it really matter...?
Sergeant s.xkitten

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:15 pm

s.xkitten wrote:oh gimme a break...does it really matter...?

if the map can still be modiffied why not? :P

i know i'm a freak sometimes. but i really like the simetry on this map. and it's spoiled by that. :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby oaktown on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:57 pm

if things come up I'd be happy to make changes... if it's cool with the site admins.
Captain oaktown

Postby Fireside Poet on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Just finished an RT game on this - Fantastic job all around. =D>
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby Enigma on Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:32 pm

yay!! just joined my 1st game on it. looks like im a bit behind :P
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby oaktown on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:10 am

Hey all, thanks for the response on the map... I love the feedback! Makes me feel all warm inside. :D

I am also getting some reports of bad attack routes, but I can't confirm this looking at the xml. Please let me know if you have any problems.

s.xkitten wrote:alright...its a great map...but seriously, some guy just got an entire continent...thats how it was deployed...

Hmm... bad luck for you. Somebody fluked six of sixty territories. That will happen about as often as somebody getting all of south america (4) in the classic map (42). I can't control initial placememt.
Captain oaktown

Postby Mr Tumbler on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:44 am

A fantastic map! Extremely good looking and very, very interesting in it's symmetric tactical properties.
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby Cynthia on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:53 am

Great job oaktown! I've joined a couple of games on that map and it looks excellent! Well done! =D>
Corporal 1st Class Cynthia

Postby happy2seeyou on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Great job. I just checked to see how many people were playing on the new map and it already had four pages of games. Great work.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby boberz on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 pm

brilliant i started with a continent and a half (neighbouring each other i am wondering how common this is
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby oaktown on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:44 pm

boberz wrote:brilliant i started with a continent and a half (neighbouring each other i am wondering how common this is

It'll happen, as it will happen in any map. Starting with a cluster of 6 out of 60 total countries should be a bit less likely than starting with Australia on the standard map. It would be even more likely that you would start with all of russia or africa in the Europe map. I've never been lucky enough to have any of those things happen to me, but I wouldn't complain if it did. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby Samus on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:23 pm

oaktown wrote:
boberz wrote:brilliant i started with a continent and a half (neighbouring each other i am wondering how common this is

It'll happen, as it will happen in any map. Starting with a cluster of 6 out of 60 total countries should be a bit less likely than starting with Australia on the standard map. It would be even more likely that you would start with all of russia or africa in the Europe map. I've never been lucky enough to have any of those things happen to me, but I wouldn't complain if it did. :)

Odds of starting with a 6 territory region in a 4 player game on a 60 territory map are about 0.04%. When people play hundreds, even thousands of games, eventually it will happen, but it's not statistically significant.
Major Samus

Postby boberz on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:29 pm

just wondering but i guess it is not an issue then but as you say it works for me
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby mibi on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:21 pm

I got so bored of the round and round of this map I decided to switch my tactics.

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=334076
Captain mibi

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:39 pm

I've encountered similar stalemates in Flat Rate, but this shouldn't be suprising if you pick to play Flat Rate. I've also encountered stalemates in Tamriel and a few other maps...and sometimes a little luck can help break it all.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:42 am

yeah, i'm in two pretty dull flat rate singles games. I will say with some authority that this isn't a great singles map, but i've found that it plays very well for doubles games... ideally in a doubles game you want a map in which strategy and team play are more important than starting position, and i hope others agree that this map delivers.

Creating a map is a learning experience... I have every intention of starting a new project soon, and I've learned a lot from both working on and now playing this one. Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and a special shout out to mibi for keeping it real. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby t.e.c on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:07 am

mibi wrote:I got so bored of the round and round of this map I decided to switch my tactics.

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=334076

i wish i could do that in my game, but the fortifications are chained.. :(
Corporal t.e.c

Postby Enigma on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:10 am

oaktown wrote:yeah, i'm in two pretty dull flat rate singles games. I will say with some authority that this isn't a great singles map, but i've found that it plays very well for doubles games... ideally in a doubles game you want a map in which strategy and team play are more important than starting position, and i hope others agree that this map delivers.

how right you are oaktown. it makes a great doubles map- one of my favorites.
Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop."
Terry Pratchet
Lieutenant Enigma

Postby oaktown on Wed May 30, 2007 8:32 am

Hi all, sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but in light of the recent XML changes I wanted to propose something...

The original idea behind this map was to have the center of the board all neutral, as it is in a real chinese checkers board. everybody would then have to slug their way through the center to complete opposite triangles, eliminate players, etc. This is now possible thanks to the new XML options, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Any thoughts? Perhaps this map is already too slow to add such a feature, and it could hurt doubles games which, in my opinion, this is best for anyway.
Captain oaktown

Postby DiM on Wed May 30, 2007 8:44 am

here's what i'd do.

make every terit start neutral except for the As in the triangles. this way everybody starts in a fixed position and nobody can complain about bad starts. this map being so simetrical the initial deployment is very important.
and i'd also make the center do ranged attacks on the As
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Wed May 30, 2007 8:49 am

Disagree about Ranged attacks...

Agree about Neutral...

Would be interesting to make it all Neutral except A spaces too...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby KEYOGI on Thu May 31, 2007 12:07 am

let's settle this once and for all: which map style do you like?

original black background with brighter colors
13% [ 5 ]
newer painted background with softer colors
86% [ 33 ]

Total Votes : 38
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Re: Chinese Checkers [Quenched] May '07 re-opener?

Postby Vince1 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:27 pm

First time I played that map.
We've been playing for 3 weeks now, round 41 now.
Playing this map without a team nor cards really is a big pain:p.

With 3 players the strongest will just get attacked so even after 40 rounds no one is winning.
Sergeant Vince1

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas