Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Portugal Gfx Revamp

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] v3, P.1&3

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 pm

gimil wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:I approve of the diagonal orientation. The long, thin shape of the country (even with the islands adding some width to the map) translates better to a CC map better in the slanted position. Put a compass on there and job's a good one. Also, the current version is true to how the map already is. You could change it all, but I'm sure some people would just throw a fit.

Suddenly the issue once again, becomes unresolved :P

Just choose the orientation you like. Either way you are going to have people say "great work =D> " and "Christ, that looks bad :cry: ".
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 am

Welcome to the Foundry, where disagreeing on the exact same bullet list is perfectly normal. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby jefjef on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 pm

There isn't a lot of color differentiation between Litoral and Ilhas regions. Could that be an issue for those that are color deficient?

Wonder what the map would look like if you swapped Algarve and Ilhas region colors. That would deff give ya color separation.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby n.n. on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:30 am

Hi,

The bad:
- some dotted lines, islands, labels etc. are simply too close to the image border, leave more margins for improved visibility.
- Same goes for continent list and minimap - also too close to each other.
- The border around the minimap is very ugly, should be changed into something more elegant, almost any other box border template example would work better graphically, same goes for the shadow below it - not really working...
- Label positioning should be corrected a little, for example, Portimao, letter p is over the border, Alentejo Sul - "Sul" and some others are not really readable enough, Mirando do Douro i saw existing only after looking at the map for 15 minutes...
- Dotted lines do not start and end properly or on proper places, for example, Acores Oriental - Lisboa - dot too close to land at Lisboa end, also all lines start from a imagined circle all of which are positioned very loosely so it is not really good looking nor clear enough in my opinion (add the IMHO to all thoughts here please). So i would reposition the lines, get them out of the imaginary circle scheme (drop the scheme itself), maybe add a little design to them (outline, color, shading, relief, make dots bigger, etc.)

Some ideas:
- You may try to put a little more relief to the land outside portugal
- maybe "raise" portugal a little (shadow/outline/bevel/something)
- maybe create a 50% transparent or in other way designed border around islands that are in one territory (it cant be circle but thats ok, just treat them like they are - custom shapes - not clear geometrical shapes like circle, square...)
- consider putting the continent names around the continents themselves, theres a lot of free space to do that and if designed well, could work
- maybe add something "Portugal" - flag, coat of arms, colors (red, green)... ?

The Good:
This is a very clean map, with obvious borders and gameplay, easy and fun to play as a classic "risk" game and the design should stay that way - so, no extensive reliefs, grunge stuff or major redesign is needed but the mapmaker is right in wanting to improve the graphics.
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 am

"Have you tried the map without army shadows? Sometimes a map is better without them."

oh wait, you have no army shadows. panda would be proud of you :lol:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 am

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:...
-More discussion on map orientation needed.

gimil, i'd like to see more of an north south RL orientation.

I've posted this before Gimil :)

...but the diagonal orientation really bothers me. It's just unnatural.

It would be like making a map of the USA with California on the SW corner ant NY on the NE corner of the map. Or, as I've said before (and I know you're Scottish and that wouldn't bother you especially) seeing an England map laying down, with London on the right side and Newcastle on the left side... :x
Major Kabanellas

Postby phantomzero on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 am

I think that maps of real places should be correctly or closely oriented to their actual orientation. Part of the fun on CC is learning about places I've never been and to find out that Portugal is not at a large angle has upset me. While the original and revamp look good it would be completely impossible to get a map of the USA or ENGLAND through the foundry at a 45* angle unless that was part of the gameplay twist.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't play it often, but I've always enjoyed this map and I like the new look!

The only thing I see left to improve is the territory fonts. I don't like the white outline. It makes the text look cut out in places (the F in Figueria, for example).

I think you can drop the outline and just make the font a wee bit thicker and have the same clarity.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby n.n. on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:03 am

phantomzero wrote:I think that maps of real places should be correctly or closely oriented to their actual orientation. ...

+1, not that we are voting :)
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Just to throw another idea into the orientation question - why not consider something with perspective and the curvature of the earth like Canada?
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:14 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Just to throw another idea into the orientation question - why not consider something with perspective and the curvature of the earth like Canada?

because portugal is a tiny little country compared to canada and the earth curvature would be almost undetectable at that scale.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 am

DiM wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:Just to throw another idea into the orientation question - why not consider something with perspective and the curvature of the earth like Canada?

because portugal is a tiny little country compared to canada and the earth curvature would be almost undetectable at that scale.

Ah, silly me - of course - maybe it already is in perspective ... lol.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:32 am

I like the idea, Portugal is good the way it is, but this is a nice, crisp, replacement.

A few of the territory names placements are bothering me, and I'm not sure the white outline works with the text. Alentro Sul (placement) Mirando do Douro (outline) Setabal (placement) These ones stand out most to me, anything else is very very minor along those lines. Could end up being a bit the font or the background or the color of the outline, etc. so tinkering with what works might cause an across the board change to the text.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the recent input guys. I have put alot of thought into the orientation issue and with such split opinion, my gut is telling me to maintain the map orientation. Since my aim to maintain as much similarity to the old map as possible (while freshening it up).

I think that maps of real places should be correctly or closely oriented to their actual orientation. Part of the fun on CC is learning about places I've never been and to find out that Portugal is not at a large angle has upset me. While the original and revamp look good it would be completely impossible to get a map of the USA or ENGLAND through the foundry at a 45* angle unless that was part of the gameplay twist.

CC maps should never be used as tools to learn geography. The primary concern of it make them work graphical and gameplay wise, many many or out geographic map are inaccurate in order to priorities gameplay/graphics.

n.n. posted a large list of feedback which I greatly appreciate. But I shall get back to that tomorrow. It is to large to fully digest after what I put myself through this (long) weekend ;). A few people have mentioned issues they have with territories names position/aesthetics. I shall give them a general overhaul and take it from there.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:45 pm

I support you, Gimil.

However, impassables.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby gimil on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Been rather busy as of late. Now I have a little free time I will try and get an update for this done tomorrow. Just a friendly reminder to everyone that I haven't disappeared.

Cheers,
gimil

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:24 am

Made a few little changes just to get an update out. After the latest discussions I have alot to think about for a more major update.

Click image to enlarge.

TODO/Areas for discussion:
-Add impassables.
-Add a neutral to one of the Algarve terrs (is this 100% a good idea?).
-Perhaps add a compass to aid in orientation.
-Custom shape around islands continent.
-New island attack routes.
-Rework territory names again. Make them strong with no outline. And fix positioning of all.
-Add 88 coordinates.

Changes:
-Added bevel to the continents, continent names and title.
-Lightened ILHAS to avoid colour blind issue between it and LITORAL.
-Added watermarks to dead land.
-Change the minimap border.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] v4, P.1&5

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:27 am

-Add a neutral to one of the Algarve terrs (is this 100% a good idea?).

Please no. Let the drop do it for you.

Maybe if you find a nice one.

Nice update. You have been working hard. I love the new background, title, mini map. Just about everything you have done so far. =D>
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Click image to enlarge.

TODO/Areas for discussion:
-Add impassables.
-Custom shape around islands continent.
-New island attack routes.

Changes:
-Tweek all territory names
-Added 88 to all terrs

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Portugal [REVAMP] v5, P.1&5

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:11 am

Looking better and better! I like the idea of a compass. And make sure the minimap has that same bevel effect and whatnot as the mainland. Still not convinced that title font is a good choice... :-k

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:09 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Looking better and better! I like the idea of a compass. And make sure the minimap has that same bevel effect and whatnot as the mainland. Still not convinced that title font is a good choice... :-k

-Sully

Thanks Sully,

I forgot to update the mini map so it is consistent with the main land, thank for pointing it out. I plan on adding a compass, just haven't decided how it should look.

What dont you like about the title text, I really like it and will be resistant to changing it unless there was a good reason.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 am

I also dislike the title font. It looks too comicsans-y.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

The watermark emblem is visible through the red bonus region.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 pm

natty_dread wrote:I also dislike the title font. It looks too comicsans-y.

Well what would you suggest?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 pm

ManBungalow wrote:The watermark emblem is visible through the red bonus region.

Ah, good catch. Will sort that for the next update.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box