Conquer Club

[GP] Automatically Award Spoils Even if a Player Times Out

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Automatically award a spoil to a player that takes a territory:

Never. Timing out to avoid getting a spoil is a valid strategy.
20%
Always. Any player that takes a territory in any game type should be awarded a spoil, even if he doesn't click "End Turn."
60%
For all games except speed and/or freestyle. It's a key part of the timing in those games and should be preserved.
20%

Total votes : 95

Postby Backglass on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:38 pm

Evil Semp wrote:If you have 2 blue and 2 green how does this force you to use them next turn? Did you mean not force you to trade next turn?

If you have two blue & two green, no matter what card you get (red, blue, green) you must redeem on your next turn.

BUT if you let the timer run out, you dont get a card, and can thus delay your redemption so as to get a higher value while still attacking.

That is the tactic.
The Pro-TipĀ®, SkyDaddyĀ® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby Bishop on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm

I don't think that's a very genuine tactic. That's just aking advantage of the computer system. If you play the baord game version, you can't manipulate it that way.
Private 1st Class Bishop

***Suggestion*** Getting a Card even when turn expires

Postby Soloman on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:19 pm

<-------------------->

<Subject>:
If a person conquers 1 or more territories in there turn, they should still recieve a card even if there time runs out. Based on the games rules a card should be granted

The same system that judges whether a player has met requirements for a card should be able to award card whether they end turn or time runs out.

This is needed because any number thing can happen in the middle of a players turn(i.e. outage of power or connection, computer crashes or locks up, guest surprises you at home/work/school, or an emergency occurs that require immediate attention) that will cause for them to not be able to finish once they started. while they cannot get the turn back as long as they met the requirements for conquering territories they should still recieve there card.

Priority** (5):

<-------------------->
Last edited by Soloman on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby pancakemix on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Sometimes that can be used strategically, though. Ex: I have 1 card, green has 3, and I'm about to lose. I can choose to do as much damage as possible, but not end my turn, he only gets 4 cards, and can't trade.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby RobinJ on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 pm

I can see problems like the one above me but I would support this
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby freezie on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:27 pm

pancakemix wrote:Sometimes that can be used strategically, though. Ex: I have 1 card, green has 3, and I'm about to lose. I can choose to do as much damage as possible, but not end my turn, he only gets 4 cards, and can't trade.

Another ''I will let the time flows and it will screw other players for their patience'' problem.

To me, it's another reason why you should earn the card anyway. I consider what I quoited to be unfair play.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby Supermath on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 pm

Or possibly "I don't want to end up with 5 cards and get only 4 armies."
Lieutenant Supermath

Postby vakEirn79 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Supermath wrote:Or possibly "I don't want to end up with 5 cards and get only 4 armies."

Then don't conquer a country every turn for 5 turns. If you couldn't get in a position to have that choice, then the (current) rules of the game dictate that you don't have a choice to not take a card either.

If timing out to not get a card is supposed to be a valid strategy, then there should be a method to simply choose to not get a card instead of having the player wait an hour and waste everyone's time. It wouldn't be very hard to have another button beside End Attacks to Pass Turn, so they skip their fort round in exchange for not being forced to take a card. As it is, it's just exploiting a mechanic which was intended as punishment, by doing the exact thing that was supposed to be punished in the first place (taking over an hour on a turn).

Btw, I was just arguing that the "strategically not receiving a card" argument shouldn't apply. I don't feel strongly about someone receiving a card or not if they legitimately time out. They did earn the card, but they're also wasting an hour's time, so not getting the card serves as that punishment I mentioned above.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby freezie on Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Supermath wrote:Or possibly "I don't want to end up with 5 cards and get only 4 armies."

Don't conquer a country then. Unless your opponent forced you to, which then he is the one playing right.
Corporal 1st Class freezie

Postby trackersdream on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:38 pm

vakEirn79 wrote:

Then don't conquer a country every turn for 5 turns. If you couldn't get in a position to have that choice, then the (current) rules of the game dictate that you don't have a choice to not take a card either.

If timing out to not get a card is supposed to be a valid strategy, then there should be a method to simply choose to not get a card instead of having the player wait an hour and waste everyone's time. It wouldn't be very hard to have another button beside End Attacks to Pass Turn, so they skip their fort round in exchange for not being forced to take a card. As it is, it's just exploiting a mechanic which was intended as punishment, by doing the exact thing that was supposed to be punished in the first place (taking over an hour on a turn).

Btw, I was just arguing that the "strategically not receiving a card" argument shouldn't apply. I don't feel strongly about someone receiving a card or not if they legitimately time out. They did earn the card, but they're also wasting an hour's time, so not getting the card serves as that punishment I mentioned above.

a few points 1st did you even read the options it should not be a punishemnt for people to not recieve a card if they earned it as is stated at the begginning any numer of things could happen

2ndthe whole not wanting to get a card thing is the most senseless thing I have heard if you do nto want to earn a card for some odd reason either do not attack and deploy and end turn or play a no cards game that is simple
the whole point he was trying to make is stuff in life can come up like a computer crashing or your internet going out in the middle of you playing and you should get your card
Sergeant 1st Class trackersdream

Postby vakEirn79 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:00 pm

trackersdream wrote:
vakEirn79 wrote:

a few points 1st did you even read the options it should not be a punishemnt for people to not recieve a card if they earned it as is stated at the begginning any numer of things could happen

2ndthe whole not wanting to get a card thing is the most senseless thing I have heard if you do nto want to earn a card for some odd reason either do not attack and deploy and end turn or play a no cards game that is simple

Maybe you could read what I actually wrote, instead of commenting on what you think I wrote.

For your first point, I said I didn't care. The reason this site has that rule in effect right now is presumably as punishment for taking too long. I didn't come up with the rule, I didn't say it should definitely be kept. Unlike you however, I bothered to take some time to think about why that rule might be in place right now, instead of just assuming every mod and admin on this site is an idiot.

Your second point is basically what I said with worse grammar, so...what's the point of telling me that? If it wasn't directed at me, you shouldn't use the First-Second structure when the first point clearly is.

trackersdream wrote:the whole point he was trying to make is stuff in life can come up like a computer crashing or your internet going out in the middle of you playing and you should get your card

The whole point I was trying to make is that "strategically not taking a card" is a poor reason to keep the current rule, which apparently you agree with. Sorry for not posting in point form with short words so you can understand it.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby CreepyUncleAndy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:11 am

This has happened to me! I totally agree that you should always get a card at the end of your turn if you a take at least one territory, whether you end your turn or let time run out.

I can see keeping the status quo being an open invitation to abuse the meta-game meta-strategy aspect of letting the way time is managed on this site to fundamentally alter the game in a way that is counter to the spirit of the game. Darn, I had better, more concise explanations in my head before I wrote that.... :-s
Private CreepyUncleAndy

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:42 am

In the board game...

If you forget to take your card then you lose it... I assume that this is the CC derivative of this rule...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby SirSebstar on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:16 am

if en real life emergency keeps you from your keyboard for 24 hours you also get punished by not being able to take a turn, why should you not be punished for not ending your turn within an hour?

Not getting a card is a punishment. That you can use the punishment to your own benefit is only good strategic thinking

compare this to the 5 card 2 turn deadbeater escalating, who is poised to take over the world is he is not killed in time. it is what is called using the system to your own advantage. Its not nice and ill put you on my ingnore list if you used it, but it is very well possible and permitable within the rules.
the rule should stay as it is to deter the deadbeater. the emergency guy just gets screwed and thats not nice, but its better then us all waiting for ever on the deadbeater who does not press the end turn because he does not have to
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby risk master2000 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:40 pm

SirSebstar wrote:if en real life emergency keeps you from your keyboard for 24 hours you also get punished by not being able to take a turn, why should you not be punished for not ending your turn within an hour?

Not getting a card is a punishment. That you can use the punishment to your own benefit is only good strategic thinking

compare this to the 5 card 2 turn deadbeater escalating, who is poised to take over the world is he is not killed in time. it is what is called using the system to your own advantage. Its not nice and ill put you on my ingnore list if you used it, but it is very well possible and permitable within the rules.
the rule should stay as it is to deter the deadbeater. the emergency guy just gets screwed and thats not nice, but its better then us all waiting for ever on the deadbeater who does not press the end turn because he does not have to

everyone who keeps calling it a punishment I think is silly, it is a part of the system that is flawed and easily fixed is my brothers point. if you do not take your turn with in 24 hours that is different then being in the middle of your turn and having your computer crash or your cable and internet go out. It is foolish to say there is any type of strategy to not finishing your turn when you start it I can guarantee that 98.6% of people who start there turn and do not finish do so unwillingly and for the rest they are just idiots doing something detrimental to themselves...
AFRO
Lieutenant risk master2000

Postby lackattack on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 pm

The original reasoning behind losing a card was to encourage people to click "End Fortifications" when they are done. This was a bigger issue before we had a 1-hour turn limit. Nonetheless, I have yet to see a large majority of people wanting to change it. Except for this poll whose wording is so biased the results are quite meaningless.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Soloman on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:41 pm

lackattack wrote:The original reasoning behind losing a card was to encourage people to click "End Fortifications" when they are done. This was a bigger issue before we had a 1-hour turn limit. Nonetheless, I have yet to see a large majority of people wanting to change it. Except for this poll whose wording is so biased the results are quite meaningless.

I apologize for the biased wording on the poll I will revise and create a new link so as to gain a majority for you, just 1 question though how large of a majority is needed to have a impact upon the process???
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

***Suggestion***Should you get Card if turn expires(revised)

Postby Soloman on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 pm

<-------------------->

<Subject>:
If a person conquers 1 or more territories during there turn, should they still recieve a card if there time runs out. Based on the games rules a card should be granted in this situation thus leading to this suggestion.

The same system that judges whether a player has met requirements for a card should be able to award card whether they end turn or time runs out. While the system before, may have not had the hour time limit for completing a turn, with it in place it should be adjusted to give a card at the end of hour as described above.

This is needed because any number of things can happen in the middle of a players turn(i.e. outage of power or connection, computer crashes or locks up, guest surprises you at home/work/school, or an emergency occurs that require immediate attention) that will cause for them to not be able to finish once they started. while they cannot get the turn back as long as they met the requirements for conquering territories they should still recieve there card.

Priority** (5):

<-------------------->
Sergeant Soloman

Postby vakEirn79 on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:21 pm

risk master2000 wrote:everyone who keeps calling it a punishment I think is silly

I'd have to disagree, considering that's what it is - punishment. Do you mean that it's silly to support keeping the punishment, instead of it's silly to call it a punishment?

Soloman wrote:I apologize for the biased wording on the poll I will revise and create a new link so as to gain a majority for you, just 1 question though how large of a majority is needed to have a impact upon the process???

The new poll isn't really less biased. The first option has better grammar, and capitalization (especially on the "Yes"), which make it more noticeable and understandable. Other than the "no", which is conveniently not capitalized, I can barely understand the second option. Also, you still use the word "earned", implying that not giving a card is somehow depriving the player of something that is rightfully theirs (which is your point, yes, but it's still biased).

If you really wanted to make an unbiased poll, try the options "Yes" and "No".

For the record, I'm not trying to shoot down your suggestion. I voted Yes both times, because I agree that in most cases, people probably time out on a turn due to real-life issues and not because it's a strategic maneuver. However, arguments and polls should make sense. The mods will probably be more accepting of them if they are.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby risk master2000 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:08 pm

still even lack attack said that it was in effect before there was an hour time limit on turns, with there being an hour timelimit now that should cover for making sure turns are ended in a timely matter. I have taken turn on world 2.1 that take like 40 minute(mostly because I do not like auto attack) and then my computer locks up while I am fortifying and I lose my card.

Hopefully when they do the update to set time limits they could also update/alter to give people the card they earned.
AFRO
Lieutenant risk master2000

Postby onlymeme on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:21 pm

i also belive the player should get the card. At least a couple of times i ended my turn, but 4 some reason the site didn't acknowledge it. when i finally noticed i didn't have as many cards as i should, i read the log and there it was: time had run out on me and didn't get the card.
Lieutenant onlymeme

Postby john1099 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:23 pm

i didnt read the entire 2 pages of posts, so if this has been stated, then im sorry.
but in a Freestyle game, if you waste your time down to 0, you get to take your turn right away, therefore, not only would you get a card, but get to go again!
Therefore, It would take advantage of something that is meant to be good, and turns it into a disadvantage for the othersplaying.
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby swingnhair on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Online CC is way different than playing the game at home. Many strategies/tactics that are great online do not work at home. It is a tactic none the less, just a cheap one with great benefits in a escalating game.
Sergeant 1st Class swingnhair

Postby Soloman on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 pm

I fully agree that you should get the card and as I stated on my post with the poll the point will become moot and actually more important once adjustable turn timers is implemented so please vote yes on the poll
Sergeant Soloman

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Hm, do you think people would even remember, or care, to hit 'End Fort' when they finish though? It seems like more people would just let it slip, and not hit it because they know they will get a card, thus impeding the game momentum. Even though it would be less than an hour, still something to consider...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions