Conquer Club

Three Kingdoms of Korea [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea [15.8.11]

Postby natty dread on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:09 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongbuyeo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukbuyeo#Dongbuyeo

Apparently Dongbuyeo would translate to "East Buyeo" which makes sense to me. "Donghuyeo" didn't bring any search results on google, so I have to assume Dongbuyeo is the correct sp.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby perchorin on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:19 am

natty_dread wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongbuyeo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukbuyeo#Dongbuyeo

Apparently Dongbuyeo would translate to "East Buyeo" which makes sense to me. "Donghuyeo" didn't bring any search results on google, so I have to assume Dongbuyeo is the correct sp.

Yeah Dongbuyeo definitely sounds better. I wasn't even disputing that but everything else really looks ok ;)
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby grunion on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:19 pm

I vote no. I'm still not happy with the legend, which is unclear and cryptic, and the colors and territories - it all looks like shades of greyish brown to me. Maps should be playable without Bob, don't you think?

Anyway, it's clear that I'm in the minority (at least vocal-wise) so as long as that's the case I'll shut up about it. I just think it's a shame that now that Korea finally gets a map it is one that I won't be able to play.

Cheers,
grunion
Sergeant 1st Class grunion

Postby Fudoh on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:05 am

maybe this has been mentioned and explained already, but why is there chinese characters on a korean map, shouldn't korean characters be used instead?
Colonel Fudoh

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul

Hangul,[nb 1] the Korean alphabet, is the native alphabet of the Korean language. It is a separate script from Hanja, the logographic Chinese characters which are also sometimes used to write Korean. It was created in the mid-15th century, and is now the official script of both North Korea and South Korea and is co-official in the Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture of Jilin Province, People's Republic of China.

Postby turtlerobot on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:20 pm

The color is drab and it's hard to read the map.
New Recruit turtlerobot

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

mmm...it seems that I wasn't wrong when in april/june I said you that colors were are a problem. :-k
At that time you replied to me (and to others) that there wasn't a way to fix it, that was because the style of the map , etc etc and that you checked the map with colorblind filters. I decided to wait at that time...but now in beta some people is complaining again about the same thing (and you know i said you via PM that your colors are too washed imo)....anyways you have to find a way to fix it now. Fix it (and the name to change) and I'll be happy to quench this one. O:)

show: test result
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 am

Ok, how about you just take the map offline and substract me one medal or whatever.

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok, how about you just take the map offline and substract me one medal or whatever.

Come on natty, You have come this far. There is always a fix, you just need to find it.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:11 am

gimil wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Ok, how about you just take the map offline and substract me one medal or whatever.

Come on natty, You have come this far. There is always a fix, you just need to find it.

I don't currently have the time to redraw the map, so if the current image is not good enough I'm afraid there's no choice but to scrap it.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:15 am

natty_dread wrote:I don't currently have the time to redraw the map, so if the current image is not good enough I'm afraid there's no choice but to scrap it.

If you do not have the time now, can it not come out of beta till you do have the time to do it. Not sure how the foundry works in this situation. It would be a real shame if we lost this. I just love looking at it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:25 am

i'm not sure how natty made the image but i'm guessing it might be a very easy fix. simply take away the dark background and replace it with a lighter one.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:26 pm

DiM wrote:i'm not sure how natty made the image but i'm guessing it might be a very easy fix.

You'd guess wrong.

simply take away the dark background and replace it with a lighter one.

Nope, that won't cut it.

The thing is, as long as I don't have the possibility to compress my own JPEG:s, I have no way of knowing how the image that ends up on the site will look like. So I'm expected to blindly balance the colours of the image so that both normal-sighted and colourblind people won't have any problems with it. Sorry but that's impossible to do.

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:00 pm

natty_dread wrote:The thing is, as long as I don't have the possibility to compress my own JPEG:s, I have no way of knowing how the image that ends up on the site will look like. So I'm expected to blindly balance the colours of the image so that both normal-sighted and colourblind people won't have any problems with it. Sorry but that's impossible to do.

jpg compression has nothing to do with the current problem of the map. the colours are washed out even on the png.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:24 pm

DiM wrote:
natty_dread wrote:The thing is, as long as I don't have the possibility to compress my own JPEG:s, I have no way of knowing how the image that ends up on the site will look like. So I'm expected to blindly balance the colours of the image so that both normal-sighted and colourblind people won't have any problems with it. Sorry but that's impossible to do.

jpg compression has nothing to do with the current problem of the map. the colours are washed out even on the png.

Which png are you looking at? The first post isn't up to date.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm

In any case if you want to emulate the CC compression, you have just to set it to 80% (btw it's an issue you know I'm working on), but as DiM said in this case the colors are the problem, not the compression.

natty_dread wrote:Which png are you looking at? The first post isn't up to date

Update it then. Btw i did my test on your last one, not the one you have on the OP.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:44 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:In any case if you want to emulate the CC compression, you have just to set it to 80% (btw it's an issue you know I'm working on), but as DiM said in this case the colors are the problem, not the compression.

Ok, set the compression to 80. What about the other settings? Subsampling, DCT method, Smoothing, optimization? I have no idea which settings lack uses.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Ok, here.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:53 pm

natty_dread wrote:Ok, here.

Click image to enlarge.

while i'm not fond of how strong the colours are now, i'm pretty sure most people will prefer it over the old version:
Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I actually prefer the newer colours, it brings everything into focus. Without relinquishing to much of the grudge.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 pm

DiM wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Ok, here.

Click image to enlarge.

while i'm not fond of how strong the colours are now, i'm pretty sure most people will prefer it over the old version:
Click image to enlarge.

That's not the current version.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:14 pm

natty_dread wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:In any case if you want to emulate the CC compression, you have just to set it to 80% (btw it's an issue you know I'm working on), but as DiM said in this case the colors are the problem, not the compression.

Ok, set the compression to 80. What about the other settings? Subsampling, DCT method, Smoothing, optimization? I have no idea which settings lack uses.

You ask yourself about too many options. Don't worry about them, listen to me. Just set quality to 80%. (and don't use progressive images that are hateful)
This is what Lack probably does --> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/fireworks/cs/using/images/oe_UsingFW-Optimize-ImagePreview.png

As said this issue will be solved soon, even if, as I said, in this case the problem is not that the map suffers of a quality loss, but more that colors look all the same/similar for colorblind people.
The new version is much better, except for junks.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:You ask yourself about too many options. Don't worry about them, listen to me. Just set quality to 80%.

Ok, but those options are still there and I don't know what to set them so that the result becomes the same as what lackattack does.

And even so, how will I know it ever does? Lackattack uses a different software alltogether. How do I know lack's software doesn't use different compression algorithms that produce different results?

The % of quality isn't the only option that affects the size & quality of JPEG images.

thenobodies80 wrote:The new version is much better, except for junks.

Actually I think the new version looks like crap. The colours are horribly bright and look like someone vomited on my screen.

So maybe you should just take this map offline until I have the time to redraw it properly.

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:19 pm

So, I hope this version works for you. If not, there's not much I can do.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

korea9.xml
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

Postby gimil on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 am

i think it looks pretty decent, mate.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas