Conquer Club

Conquer Cup I

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup I

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 pm

karelpietertje wrote:
DiM wrote:i've been analyzing the conquer cup prizes and it says this:

Grand Prize
* An Apple iPad2
* A press release sent to 1000 news outlets for your 15 minutes of fame
* Gold Conquer Cup Super Achievement Medal

Semi-Finalist Prizes
* A $50 USD Amazon.com gift certificate
* Silver Conquer Cup Super Achievement Medal

Quarter-Finalist Prizes
* Bronze Conquer Cup Super Achievement Medal

Consolation Prizes
* We'll issue 100 free passes for the next Conquer Cup to randomly selected participants eliminated in Round 1

this means that:
* 1080 people will get NOTHING for their 5 bucks because they'll be eliminated in round 1.
* 180 more people that are eliminated in quarter finals will get a bronze cup. so again pretty much nothing
* 30 people that get eliminated in the semifinals get a silver trophy (crap) and a 50$ certificate on amazon.com. which for some people doesn't even cover the transportation costs so again kinda crap.
* and if you're one of the 5 people that got into the final game but lost you get NOTHING. NOTHING at all, not even a crappy cup or that gift certificate :lol:
* winner gets an ipad 2, 15 minutes of fame and a gold cup.

so what about the finalists? nothing at all? really? :lol:

To be a finalist, you first have to become a semi-finalist, which earns you a 50 dollar gift card. I don't see your problem.

it doesn't exactly specify that anywhere. once i qualified for the finals i'm no longer a semi-finalist but a full finalist so i should be in a whole different prize category. the one that normally comes just bellow the winner.
you have 1st rounder, quarter-finalist, semi-finalist, finalist, winner. as you can see all those categories except finalist are specified in the prize list.

also assuming you are right and a finalist receives the same $50 gift card it's still not ok. if i lose in the final game it means i'm better than somebody that lost in the semi final. in fact i just won the game against 5 semi-finalists. so the finalists should get more than the semi-finalists.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby denominator on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:24 pm

karelpietertje wrote:

Grand Prize
* An Apple iPad2

Semi-Finalist Prizes

Quarter-Finalist Prizes

Consolation Prizes
* We'll issue 100 free passes for the next Conquer Cup to randomly selected participants eliminated in Round 1

this means that:
* 1080 people will get NOTHING for their 5 bucks because they'll be eliminated in round 1.
* 180 more people that are eliminated in quarter finals will get a bronze cup. so again pretty much nothing
* 30 people that get eliminated in the semifinals get a silver trophy (crap) and a 50$ certificate on amazon.com. which for some people doesn't even cover the transportation costs so again kinda crap.
* and if you're one of the 5 people that got into the final game but lost you get NOTHING. NOTHING at all, not even a crappy cup or that gift certificate :lol:

To be a finalist, you first have to become a semi-finalist, which earns you a 50 dollar gift card. I don't see your problem.

By that logic, the winner receives a Gold, Silver, and Bronze medal. As well as the iPad and 15 minutes of fame, plus the $50 Amazon Card.

Once you move up a prize bracket, you forfeit all the prizes you "won" at the lower brackets.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby AgentSmith88 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:25 pm

Anybody else think a multi new recruit might slip into this thing? What happens when somebody gets booted in the middle of the game for "violating rules" and screws somebody over?
king sam wrote:quit facebook stalking me... and Im a sailor all I do is drunk, cuss and make illegitimate kids when Im away from CC

dont sig that
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby patrickaa317 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I personally like it. I'm probably not going to join but if it makes lack a couple bucks that's great. It's strictly an optional part of the site. Granted everyone would like something else put in but it will always be that way.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby shijinn on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:39 pm

why not learn from the experts at Blizzard? allow tournament organisers to charge entry fees while the site gets a cut from the collection. THAT would be big news. supply and demand will improve the quality of tournament prizes making it a win-win for everyone involved.
Colonel shijinn

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm

shijinn wrote:why not learn from the experts at Blizzard? allow tournament organisers to charge entry fees while the site gets a cut from the collection. THAT would be big news. supply and demand will improve the quality of tournament prizes making it a win-win for everyone involved.

Amazingly enough, this is an even worse idea.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Are Becky points transferable to CCP?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby spiesr on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Grand Prize
* An Apple iPad2

Semi-Finalist Prizes

Quarter-Finalist Prizes

Consolation Prizes

this means that:

The way I interpret that list, Dim, is that when it says "semifinalist" it actually mean "people who won their semifinal match." Of course this means that only 5 people get the silver trophy & gift card, only 30 get the bronze cup, and everyone who won round 1 gets nothing. Not sure if I am right though...
Captain spiesr

Postby demonfork on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:50 am

$5 bucks is a fair price for this tournament and I'm happy to pay it.

Ps technically I was the first person to suggest the conqueror medal since I was the only one that filled out the suggestion form.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby Gillipig on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 am

Almost 30% of the players in Conquer Cup are below sergeant :shock: :shock: . It will be a horrible first round with missed turns and stupid moves. This is a real problem!! One player can easily f*ck up a 6 player escalating game. And as of now, two players in each games will be really low ranked.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby codierose on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:01 am

can you remove the conquer cup link right in the way of game finder :evil: :evil: :evil: just as bad as the upgade one :evil: :evil:
Major codierose

Postby Chewie1 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 am

So $5 dollars is about 3 english pound which is the same as a pint of beer or a starbucks coffee!

Hardly going to break the bank and no one forced me to sign up.... and hey I might even enjoy it.
Lieutenant Chewie1

Postby Blitzkrieg Frank on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:38 am

for $5 entry and 1000+ players, the prizes should be increased. Why should the winner of a semi final get the same as a loser of the semi final. Anyone who plays in the grand finale should receive double that of a semi finalist. Like the idea and $5 is fair and not much at all, but prizes need to increase. That's my thoughts anyway.
Lieutenant Blitzkrieg Frank

Postby Agent 86 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:13 am

No-one above colonel has joined up yet, lol..and only 9 colonels so far :roll:
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby Pirlo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 am

reminds me of any greedy government who keeps fining ways to steal people's money! :lol:
Captain Pirlo

Postby lackattack on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

UPDATE

I corrected the wording about prizes (Finalist vs Semi-Finalist etc...)

Conqueror medals have been issued: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=156116
Sergeant lackattack

Postby VOC on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:59 am

Having cash flow problems lack? ConquerCLUB lol
Major VOC

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:39 am

VOC wrote:Having cash flow problems lack? ConquerCLUB lol

Really you think this is what this is about?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby sherkaner on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 am

Bruceswar wrote:
VOC wrote:Having cash flow problems lack? ConquerCLUB lol

Really you think this is what this is about?

No, I don't think it is actually. It will help, obviously, but the main goal is to get ppl back to CC. The annoying thing is that you can't make the Conquer Cup free, and below 5 dollar the transaction costs are too high to really be useful. But the tourney feels quite thin to me.
Won't stop me from joining though, the official status and being the first conquer cup counts in my book (and hopefully helping the site you enjoy).
Colonel sherkaner

Postby VOC on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

Copyright © 2006 by Salamander Software. its a profit company, so duhhh,
Major VOC

Postby Chuuuuck on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:49 am

Since the first day I joined this site, it has always been strictly enforced that no forms of gambling are allowed. We aren't even allowed to gamble points, much less money.

Now, I do enjoy sports betting and other small amounts of gambling and I have the extra income to do it with no problem. Therefore, I like this and will participate (even though it has a very bad EV). But do not sit here and tell us we can't gamble, then create a tournament that is exactly that where you benefit and take 75% of the profits and put them in your own pocket. As someone else suggested, if you are going down this route, open up other tournaments to have entry fees and allow them to keep the entry fees in the prize pool for the tournaments with you taking a small amount on top. Not this 75% bullshit.

I will say I agree with others that have posted though. Very bad business move on your part. Eventually numbers will go way down I think but you may be able to get more money per player from those that are here. I think total revenue drops though.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby natty dread on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

So, 5 people will get a $50 gift certificate, and one person gets the apple toy. What do you guys do with the rest of the ~6000 dollars?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby morleyjoe on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 am

Count me out. But I would probably be willing to pay $5 to see things like the Map Rank coding fixed.
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Postby VOC on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am

. to Salamander Software, a Montreal based software house dedicated to developing and supporting well-designed systems. We specialize in the following products and services:

Salamander Software
4148A Sainte-Catherine St. W.
Suite 152
Westmount, QC
H3Z 0A2 Canada

Email: click here
Phone: 1 (800) 240-9094
Fax: 1 (800) 240-9094
Major VOC

Postby ws1 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am

I'd rather have the pint of Beer Chewie was talking about.
Sergeant 1st Class ws1

Location: Chicago, New York, Detroit and its all on the same street

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives