Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Gondwanaland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map border?

Total votes : 0

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 pm

declan.west wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully

does anyone have a good example of decaying regions? If not il probably just remove them

I say give it one more shot, using the parameters I've laid out. Jordan and Shluh are good candidates, I think, and you could probably throw 1 or 2 more elsewhere, if you wish.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby firsal901 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:44 am

I like the "tar pits" idea more. The "egg" territories can just be replaced with tar pits or dinos.
Cook firsal901

Postby The Bison King on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:18 am

declan.west wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully

does anyone have a good example of decaying regions? If not il probably just remove them

I'm your huckleberry

Basically here's what I suggest. First off move Tyrant to where I moved him so that he is a border between 3 bonuses like Scavenger.

Second off the tar pits. I think simple is the best solution 3 is enough. Notice how I put them on territories that aren't bonus orders. I thought that would be over kill since that's what the T-rex's already do. Too much of that and it will encourage people not to fight but to stay huddled up. I put them on bottlenecks with in bonus regions. That will encourage players to grow faster. At least it should in theory since they can't sit on these easily defended regions, but it also doesn't make growing out to fill a bonus undesirable.

Yes I think this way would be quite good.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby declan.west on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 am

nice work on the map TBK
Corporal 1st Class declan.west

Postby Minister X on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:08 am

Just correcting some English...

Where you have "Tar pits cause you to loose one troop per tern" -- instead use "Tar pits cause you to lose one troop per turn". Also, just for an alternative, you might want to consider: "Tar pits cause the loss of one troop per turn". After all, they cause that loss for everyone, not just "you".

In the long description of Atlantis, there should be a comma after the word "beware".

Where you say "T-rex's reset..." you should lose the apostrophe. It's not possessive. I recommend replacing "T-rex's" with the word "Tyrranosaurs". I realize the apostrophe is sometimes used to make plurals where it might be awkward otherwise and I won't have a fit if you keep it, but it's a possessive and that's not what you really want there.

Also: begging should be beginning
Major Minister X

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:26 am

"Tyrannosaurus Rex," technically. I would try to avoid using its plural form, as it isn't really proper. So perhaps something like, "The Tyrannosaurus Rex resets to 2 neutral at the beginning of your next turn."

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Gondwanaland [2/10/11] V11 pg9

Postby declan.west on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:20 am

Version 11

changes:
killer neutral Tyrant moved to Nusa
hence Nusa has 1 less region and is now +3 not +4
Decaying region Tar pits at added
Nyngan added at the top of Terra Australis to accommodate decaying region. region stays +3
spelling
graphics

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 am

The way Bridges and Canoes are placed in the legend, it's possible to misinterpret them as also being impassables. Any chance of simply naming the section "Passable" or some-such?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:24 pm

TaCktiX wrote:The way Bridges and Canoes are placed in the legend, it's possible to misinterpret them as also being impassables. Any chance of simply naming the section "Passable" or some-such?

Technically, though, the canoes connect to Atlantis, not each other.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby declan.west on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:The way Bridges and Canoes are placed in the legend, it's possible to misinterpret them as also being impassables. Any chance of simply naming the section "Passable" or some-such?

Technically, though, the canoes connect to Atlantis, not each other.

-Sully

I could put the canoe near the text explaining them and leave the bridge under 'passable'

Postby Minister X on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm

In the Linnean system species names are not capitalized; thus: Homo sapiens. And thus: Tyrannosaurus rex. (The first part, which is capitalized, is the genus.)
Major Minister X

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:35 pm

This is true.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 am

I think this map is ready to be GP stamped personally.

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

Seeing no other complaints on this one:

Onward, ho!
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby iancanton on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:25 pm

congrats on the stamp, declan!

although what u have is already good, if there's one thing i'd change, i'd move travi tarpit to orejon, so that the central africa player isn't given such a hard time by a natural hazard on a canoe-bordering region as well as being surrounded on all sides by potential opponents. that's just my personal preference.

tyrant and scavenger are placed in excellent positions to protect the larger bonuses in a temporary way.

perhaps use savannah, sahara, nubia or some other more imaginative names rather than south africa and central africa as bonus names.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:52 am

Out of the respect for being scientifically accurate.... The T-rex evolved well after the break up of Gondwanaland. And the T-Rex was also native to Asia and North America. (Laurasia)

Cryolophosaurus would be a decent name for a native, time period relevant therapod dinosaur. (Native to Antarctica) However for name recognition you might wanna go with Allosaurus, but it was most common in North America.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby obm311 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 am

hello, this is a friend of declan.west's, he asked me to post this message:

Around 3 weeks ago he was kicked from his games and abilities restricted, ie unable to post in any forum, unable to access his wall or message anybody. This means that he is unable to contact anyone to find the reason for the ban. Neither of us know the reason, as the only thing to go off is the text with in the games, "declan.west has been kicked for violating the rules".

Would anyone be able to help solve this issue, if not he decided just to give me the image of the map to post on this forum for him.
This is the reason there has been no update.

he says thanks for the gameplay stamp as well :)
Private 1st Class obm311

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:16 pm

He should check his email on the account that he used to set up his CC account. There should be a message there explaining the reason for his ban, and he can communicate with the admins via e-ticket (see the Help menu at the top of the CC page).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby declan.west on Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:28 pm

hello everyone i'm back

V12

tar pit at travi -> Orejon
T-rex's now cryolophosaurus' (graphic changed as well)
key changed (canoe + passable)

I have a few questions:
    I have done the colourblind tests and it looks fine to me, do I need to post those images?

With the army numbers i have visited the post with the attachments, how do i download the attached images, i have just copied the image seen in the post but this gives a white background which is difficult to get rid of as methods i have tried have destroyed part of the numbers

The XML wizard is declining the URL of my images and the file of my image that i am trying to upload so that i can try work on XML code, suggestions? i have started on typing it out if it doesn't work

Re: Gondwanaland [30/10/11] V12 pg10

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:25 pm

declan.west wrote:hello everyone i'm back

V12

tar pit at travi -> Orejon
T-rex's now cryolophosaurus' (graphic changed as well)
key changed (canoe + passable)

I have a few questions:
    I have done the colourblind tests and it looks fine to me, do I need to post those images?

With the army numbers i have visited the post with the attachments, how do i download the attached images, i have just copied the image seen in the post but this gives a white background which is difficult to get rid of as methods i have tried have destroyed part of the numbers

The XML wizard is declining the URL of my images and the file of my image that i am trying to upload so that i can try work on XML code, suggestions? i have started on typing it out if it doesn't work
Colourblind test images are usually posted in the topic for all to judge.

Try using a screen shot, as opposed to copying the image, when trying to present the map with troop numbers.

Can you open your images in a browser using the URL that the XML wizard is refusing?

Postby declan.west on Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:30 am

Red/green colour blind
blue/yellow

Thank you ender516, your answers helped a lot, though another problem:
Half way through XML wizard and the toolbar disappears (my map and army numbers number's are still there), i have not saved, is there any way of getting it back?

Postby declan.west on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:23 am

army number test (i know i missed one at Shluh)

colour blind green/red

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:49 pm

I have never seen the Wizard toolbar disappear. Did it perhaps get scrolled offscreen somehow?

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 am

I think you should put a border around the map. Like the one you used in your signature.

Postby declan.west on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 am

ender516 wrote:I have never seen the Wizard toolbar disappear. Did it perhaps get scrolled offscreen somehow?

i'm not quite sure, but i have restarted so ill just save more often to make sure i'm safe if it happens again

The Bison King wrote:I think you should put a border around the map. Like the one you used in your signature.

yeah, ill see what it looks like. I have been trying to come up with a way to contain the Key so this might help

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box