Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Death Race: Mojave

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Death Race: Mojave [11-3-11]

Postby greenoaks on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:37 pm

the graphics are awesome.

i like the idea of a modern day Circus Maximus, or should that be post-modern.

gameplay at first is difficult to follow as there is so much going on, but then so does Stalingrad.

Holding cell plus connecting guard +2 there seems to be 2 connecting guards. is that bonus for holding either 1 of those guards with the entire 4 cells or for holding the 2 cells on the left or right with the matching coloured guard?

the first post mentions a win objective but i can't see that mentioned on the map.

later in the first post it says the Warden resets. how does that work with the Warden being a terit you must hold to achieve the win objective?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby tec805 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:59 pm

greenoaks wrote:the graphics are awesome.

i like the idea of a modern day Circus Maximus, or should that be post-modern.

gameplay at first is difficult to follow as there is so much going on, but then so does Stalingrad.

Stalingrad and Circus are both high point maps for me, which of course influenced this map. Though I wanted something unique, which I think we've accomplished.

greenoaks wrote:Holding cell plus connecting guard +2 there seems to be 2 connecting guards. is that bonus for holding either 1 of those guards with the entire 4 cells or for holding the 2 cells on the left or right with the matching coloured guard?

The colored tunnel-like graphic is to indicate a connection to the guard tower with the matching tunnel graphic. The tunnels are not regions but connect guard to guard, for example Bart to Donald, Julian to Donald. The guard is the star between the cells. We should probably change the wording a little like All Cells in Holding Area w/connected guard +2. The labels on the map for Holding Cells will be changed to Holding Area.

greenoaks wrote:the first post mentions a win objective but i can't see that mentioned on the map.

later in the first post it says the Warden resets. how does that work with the Warden being a terit you must hold to achieve the win objective?

Wasn't sure about the win objective, if it should even be included as this is a "Death Race" and what's the point if people don't die and the warden calls off the race? Or does sticking with a logical theme matter? The idea was prior to griff ever starting the graphics and now with a better idea of what is happening I'm leaning towards removing that objective. I already removed the loss objective of losing all track and pit cars and be removed.

Thanks for the feedback!
show: spoiler sigs are like my dice, they suck
General tec805

Location: ☀ Southern California, where the sunshine's shining ☀

Postby tec805 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Edited holding area labels. Added some additional arrows showing direction of track. Clarification of legend.
General tec805

Re: Death Race: Mojave [11-4-11]

Postby betiko on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:15 pm

sweet!
by the way, i m sure I saw in the past 5 years a movie with vin diesel i think it was (or some other rocket scientist) in which he had to do a death race in a prison to stay alive.. does it ring a bell to anyone?
Major betiko

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

betiko wrote:sweet!
by the way, i m sure I saw in the past 5 years a movie with vin diesel i think it was (or some other rocket scientist) in which he had to do a death race in a prison to stay alive.. does it ring a bell to anyone?

That was Stratham I believe, forget his first name.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:44 pm

Hey, griff and tec. Sorry for my delay in commenting, it took me a bit to wrap my mind around the gameplay. For the most part, I think it works. The legend could have a bit more clarity: the "Warden borders armory" should go with all of the Warden stuff in that box with the badge, and it took me awhile to understand the Sniper diagram. I think you should use arrows there instead of "2 DEEP" and "3 DEEP". As far as gameplay goes, there doesn't seem to be much incentive to get out on the track, so I think a +1 per 2 or 3 (I prefer 2, myself) track pieces with a car would do well, then eliminate the +2 per 3 with the Snipers, as I think their bombarding abilities are good enough, since they would be good tools for cards. Oh, and one other tiny thing: The Aryan Bros and the Red Saints appear to have the same car ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby tec805 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 am

Victor Sullivan wrote: "Warden borders armory" should go with all of the Warden stuff in that box with the badge

Yep, good catch.

Sniper diagram. I think you should use arrows there instead of "2 DEEP" and "3 DEEP".

How about both? The legend would need to be much larger to accurately depict enough of the track to get the idea across without the text (at least the first time someone played the map).

get out on the track, so I think a +1 per 2 or 3

From the very beginning the idea was a bonus for tracks, not sure how we missed putting it in the legend :oops:

eliminate the +2 per 3 with the Snipers, as I think their bombarding abilities are good enough, since they would be good tools for cards

Agreed any bombarding region is good for cards, but since the tracks can bombard to the rear there would be little incentive to take a sniper unless it would allow you to eliminate someone, but with limited range that is unlikely. So snipers need something to make them useful...

Oh, and one other tiny thing: The Aryan Bros and the Red Saints appear to have the same car ;)

We were just testing you foundry people to see who was sharp enough to pick up on it ;)

Thanks for the input! Map has been updated.
General tec805

Re: Death Race: Mojave [11-7-11]

Postby grifftron on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am

Thanks for the thoughts victor, I knew that those 2 cars were the same, just wasn't sure if anyone else would have seen it, actually we will probably trade some of the cars out for others once we find better looking ones later on

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Death Race: Mojave (11-8-11)

Postby tec805 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:19 pm

General tec805

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

One thing that I'm not 100% clear on is the guard tower bonus. I think some sort of label over the guard towers would be helpful in indicating what exactly the guard tower is... I think its those 5 sided things on the four corners... but not sure. it couljust be the area with the door.

The other thing I don't really get is the whole prison thing, I mean are there prison races? I think you might have a better chance at connecting with your audience if you went the Mad Max post-apocalyptic route... so instead of Warden there could be the king or maybe Master Blaster and instead of prison guards his minions ... for the prisoners, you could just keep them as is or try to work in some factons.

EDIT: nevermind the last paragraph I just found out about death race.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Meh, I think the Sniper bonus should at least be lowered, but I suppose it's not bad as is. One more thing (in addition to Helix's point about the guard towers): you need to denote the impassables in the legend (the thick, black lines, I assume).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby tec805 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 am

First post updated.
Click image to enlarge.
General tec805

Re: Death Race: Mojave [11-11-11]

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Looks good! One clarification: Is it +2 per Guard Tower, or +2 for any 1 Guard Tower? That is, if I'm holding 2 Guard Towers, do I get +2 or +4?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby tec805 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Looks good! One clarification: Is it +2 per Guard Tower, or +2 for any 1 Guard Tower? That is, if I'm holding 2 Guard Towers, do I get +2 or +4?

-Sully

+2 per would make more sense and what we had thought, but clarification of the wording is needed, thanks for pointing it out.

How exactly would you word it in the legend? Now that we added a piece of texture to the key and put numbers on the tower can we just go back to "Guard Tower +2"?
General tec805

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Stickied for now, maybe some red ink in the future.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:01 pm

tec805 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Looks good! One clarification: Is it +2 per Guard Tower, or +2 for any 1 Guard Tower? That is, if I'm holding 2 Guard Towers, do I get +2 or +4?

-Sully

+2 per would make more sense and what we had thought, but clarification of the wording is needed, thanks for pointing it out.

How exactly would you word it in the legend? Now that we added a piece of texture to the key and put numbers on the tower can we just go back to "Guard Tower +2"?

I think that would work fine.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby therev1957 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 am

Awesome map Ted...when it is done you can teach me how to play it :oops: :o :shock: :lol: :roll: =D>
Lieutenant therev1957
SoC Training Adviser

Postby tec805 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 am

therev1957 wrote:Awesome map Ted...when it is done you can teach me how to play it :oops: :o :shock: :lol: :roll: =D>

Thanks Rev, we've put a lot of work into it!
General tec805

Postby smegal69 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 am

nice work guys, we know you have put many hours into this.

and when it's up and running The Rev and I would love to play you and griff on it, we want to be number 1 and 2..... that is right Rev :twisted:
Last edited by smegal69 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant smegal69

Location: Doing Hard Time on "The ROCK", in the southern ocean

Postby grifftron on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 am

Click image to enlarge.

updated

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Death Race: Mojave [11-14-11]

Postby KoolBak on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 am

I, for one, LOVE it! Well done - hope it comes to fruition =D>
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby tec805 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:37 am

KoolBak wrote:I, for one, LOVE it! Well done - hope it comes to fruition =D>

Thank you KoolBack, appreciate the support. We also would like to see this happen ;)
General tec805

Postby Maert on Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:59 pm

First of all: looking good Ted & Griff.
I've just been talking to Ted on skype about the map so most of my notes were left there. But just to show some activity, some points here as well:
- might be a good idea to move gary's name and sniper a bit more to the right ( same for brandon) For clarity reasons.
- reducing the amount of cracks and grooves on all the areas (the tracks and side areas) should greatly affect the clarity of the map. I like the addition to the theme, but I think you can make that clear enough with less animations. No need to overdo it.
Getting to understand the map takes some time now, this is not bad per se but would probably lead to less popularity later on. Try to reduce the theme a bit and increase clarity, the mechanics of this map are going to be enough to get used to for new players (and I think the theme can be brought out just as well a bit more minimalistic)
- in regards to mechanics: very hard to say a lot of sensible stuff about that. I say get it into beta or even alfa so we can play it somewhere (without even playing for points ;) ) and find out how this works. Because I think that is the easiest and quickest way to spot things that are suboptimal or get new ideas
- add the fact that the Warden resets to neutral to the legend

I think this and what I said to Ted is enough for now, skyping over this is probably easiest. And I realy hope a playable test-version will be available soon, as that would make it a lot easier to get into more detail about the bonuses and the desired balance.
Major Maert

Postby grifftron on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for the thoughts Maert... ted sent me your convo on skype so I can see what was said.

Mostly graphics, which I will for sure work on... but I think the big thing right now is working on game play of course.

Once game play actually passes, i can actually work full on the graphics, the problem with doing graphics now is things always change and it would suck to work 4-5 hours on 1 little detail only to see it changed.

I do understand graphics are not the best atm but they will change after game play is done, but if clearing up the graphics a bit helps clarify the gameplay then OK

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Maert on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:35 am

grifftron wrote:Thanks for the thoughts Maert... ted sent me your convo on skype so I can see what was said.

Mostly graphics, which I will for sure work on... but I think the big thing right now is working on game play of course.

Once game play actually passes, i can actually work full on the graphics, the problem with doing graphics now is things always change and it would suck to work 4-5 hours on 1 little detail only to see it changed.

I do understand graphics are not the best atm but they will change after game play is done, but if clearing up the graphics a bit helps clarify the gameplay then OK

-griff

Is it possible to test the map with a few guys in some abandoned part of this site? ;) That would make it so much easier to find out if the mechanics work as is desired.
Major Maert

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box