Conquer Club

Island of Doom

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Island of Doom [17.Oct.11] - V3 - p1

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

DiM wrote:ok so despite what people might think my inspiration source is not LOST. in fact i have never seen a single episode of LOST. maybe they had a dark scary place there but that's not really what i'm aiming for.
in fact my inspiration source is DEAD ISLAND, for those that played the game they surely know it was a bright lush nice place with gorgeous scenery and yet any time you heard a screamer you'd shit your pants not knowing where the freaking zombies would attack from. point is it doesn't have to be dark to be scary.

I was just teasing you, but this actually surprises me. There are so many elements of LOST here, and especially with the winning condition being All temples + Volcano... that's almost the plot. Plus the military base, the antennas, etc.

Perhaps the creators of LOST were also inspired by the Dead Island game.

At any rate, I don't think any semblance to the show is a bad thing. Someone suggested a LOST map in the melting pot a while back and I thought it was a great idea and I like the look of this one on its own too.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

so, what else needs to be done here?

hit me with feedback people :)
what do you think of the neutrals? the bonuses?

VS said i should "include some nice one-way attacks, like Volcano ---> Netiro, Volcano ---> Polt, Volcano ---> Vuner, Secret Base ---> Jurib"
thoughts?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 am

DiM wrote:so, what else needs to be done here?

hit me with feedback people :)
what do you think of the neutrals? the bonuses?

VS said i should "include some nice one-way attacks, like Volcano ---> Netiro, Volcano ---> Polt, Volcano ---> Vuner, Secret Base ---> Jurib"
thoughts?

in the legend you're reffering to military base, however on the map it's named secret base.

also, i like the fact that you have no classic continents in this one. I'd suggest removing the territory count bonus as well (like get 4 armies for 12 territories and 5 for 15) and instead just have everyone get 4 armies regartless of how many territories one has. (or maybe just the standard 3). Also i'd like to have some kind of system like in the England map where you get bonus armies for holding x amount of territories in a certain region, however unlike the england map it would be nice if those regions overlap. so in essense you'd be able to craft your own little continent.

not sure if it fits the theme and style of the map, if it does, implement it, if it doesn't use it in a future map.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:49 am

zimmah wrote:in the legend you're reffering to military base, however on the map it's named secret base.

will change

zimmah wrote:also, i like the fact that you have no classic continents in this one. I'd suggest removing the territory count bonus as well (like get 4 armies for 12 territories and 5 for 15) and instead just have everyone get 4 armies regartless of how many territories one has. (or maybe just the standard 3).

this can be done.

zimmah wrote:Also i'd like to have some kind of system like in the England map where you get bonus armies for holding x amount of territories in a certain region, however unlike the england map it would be nice if those regions overlap. so in essense you'd be able to craft your own little continent.

not sure if it fits the theme and style of the map, if it does, implement it, if it doesn't use it in a future map.

it doesn't quite really fit this style. however i coult try and implement this into knights and warlocks. i'll see.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm

This here is your stamp of Doom!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm

isaiah40 wrote:This here is your stamp of Doom!

thanks =D>
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:43 pm

grats on the 3 stamps lol :)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:17 pm

any gameplay concerns on this one?
should i just go along and do the graphics for the legend?
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:24 am

vacation please
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm

pretty please... 8-[
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:13 pm

isaiah40 wrote:[MOVED] per request.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 am

Did I miss something? Did DiM quit again?

I rather liked this one.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Re: [Vacation - valid untill Apr 2012] - Island of Doom

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 am

V5:
*added some one way routes
*changed secret base to military base
*started working on the legend
Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Island of Doom [23.Nov.11] - V5 - p1&3

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome back! :)

[Moved]
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 am

I know the Foundry has went back and forth on the description of win conditions (such as sometimes including you must hold all these items for 1 turn, etc). You could add "Hold and maintain Volcano and ...."

Like the look of this map. I'd probably give it some play.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am

will specify that the objective has to be held for 1 turn.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:40 pm

finished legend and added andy's request
V6:
Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Island of Doom [25.Nov.11] - V6 - p1&3

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:47 pm

The land outline looks a bit pixelated for some reason...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:08 pm

it's not pixelated, it's exactly how a realistic landscape would look like with tiny gaps and protuberances and stuff. basically most of the land contours found in nature are made of wiggly lines. nature doesn't have straight lines.

here's a satellite photo:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah it's still pixelated. Look at the difference between the land outlines in your map image and that image you posted.

A line can be sharp and detailed without being pixelated.

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:18 pm

natty_dread wrote:Yeah it's still pixelated. Look at the difference between the land outlines in your map image and that image you posted.

A line can be sharp and detailed without being pixelated.

add a one px black outline in the image i showed and you'll get an exactly identical result as the one on my map. ;)
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:18 pm

No you don't if you draw the line smoothly.

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:No you don't if you draw the line smoothly.

line is not drawn. it's a stroke. don't know what options you have in gimp for stroke but on photoshop i can't chose to make it a certain way.

anyway, the stroke stays and so does it's style. i like the crispness of it.

PS: between what i have now: Image and a smoother version: Image i prefer the 1st.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:32 pm

DiM wrote:line is not drawn. it's a stroke. don't know what options you have in gimp for stroke but on photoshop i can't chose to make it a certain way.

Really? In GIMP you can make strokes with any painting tool, using any brush you want. I can't see how the expensive, state-of-the-art graphics editor would settle for any less...

Or maybe you're talking about something different? PS has weird names for things sometimes...

It's not a layer style, is it?

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:33 pm

see my post above
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas