Conquer Club

Patch Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Patch Wars [10.Dec.11] - V7 - p1&8

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

that settles it. tweaked shadows on all the buttons.
anything else?
i'll get started on the small map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am

Nope, I don't have anything at the moment.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 am

V8:
*tweaked shadows for buttons
*moved some names around
Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:48 pm

DiM wrote:V8:
*tweaked shadows for buttons
*moved some names around
Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Click image to enlarge.

did you make the border between carl and ferdinant diferent on purpose?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: Patch Wars [14.Dec.11] - V8 - p1&9

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:20 pm

i explained this a while back. each patch has it's own outer border, then the patches are put one on top of the other like they're laid down on a bed or a flat surface. the border between carl and ferdinand is the outer border for the octi patch which sits above the teddy patch.
i can make all outer borders the same but i like the flavour of having all sorts of stitch types and different colours and different materials.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Hm, I kinda preferred the Teddy border over the Octi one, but I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:09 am

This looks a lot better with the buttons laid out in a more random fashion.

Have to admit this is growing on me.

Just out of curiosity - why red for the troop boxes? Seems like something neutral would look a little better.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:21 am

it's pink, not red. my girl loves pink. actually i think every little girl loves pink. it's probably genetic.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:25 am

DiM wrote:actually i think every little girl loves pink. it's probably genetic.

Actually, it's just social conditioning. The whole pink=girl/blue=boy thing only started around the beginning of 20th century. Before that it was actually reversed, with pink considered the more masculine colour, and blue more feminine.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 am

natty_dread wrote:

Actually, it's just social conditioning. The whole pink=girl/blue=boy thing only started around the beginning of 20th century. Before that it was actually reversed, with pink considered the more masculine colour, and blue more feminine.

i was obviously joking :?
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 am

I thought you enjoyed my random factoids :(

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Back to the map development, I don't think I have anything more to add at this stage. I'm pretty satisfied.

Nice work, DiM.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby zimmah on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

natty_dread wrote:

true, and besides, i love pink too.

but it's horrible on forums, too bright.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 pm

btw, did you check if all possible army colors are visible on that pink army numbers? it'll be a pity if it doesn't.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Major DiM

Postby ender516 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Those look fine. I expect the neutrals will show equally well.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Dim, as always, great work. I just have 2 suggestions as final touches.

The icons (quacky, octi, planes, cars etc) you have, I assume they are part of the quilt, if so, should they not of been stitched on. Right now, they look thrown on. Just a simple cross stitch.
And as a final little touch to add that all important realism to this, can we have a loose thread or two.
Last edited by koontz1973 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:10 pm

koontz1973 wrote:a lose thread or two.

Loose.

Postby ender516 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:13 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Dim, as always, great work. I just have 2 suggestions as final touches.

The icons (quacky, octi, planes, cars etc) you have, I assume they are part of the quilt, if so, should they not of been stitched on. Right now, they look thrown on. Just a simple cross stitch.
And as a final little touch to add that all important realism to this, can we have a loose thread or two.

I think the intention was that they were toys that were thrown on the bed. However, they do look like they are just cut-out pieces of felt. I don't know if trying to make them look more like 3-D toys would be a good idea or not.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:59 pm

ender516 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Dim, as always, great work. I just have 2 suggestions as final touches.

I think the intention was that they were toys that were thrown on the bed. However, they do look like they are just cut-out pieces of felt. I don't know if trying to make them look more like 3-D toys would be a good idea or not.

If they are felt/cloth, then my original idea stands, if they are supposed to be proper toys, having them look like toys would be good. For the sake of clarity and keeping the overall look the same, having them as felt seems to be better.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ender516 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:09 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
ender516 wrote:

If they are felt/cloth, then my original idea stands, if they are supposed to be proper toys, having them look like toys would be good. For the sake of clarity and keeping the overall look the same, having them as felt seems to be better.

My kids used to play with felt cutouts, which were supposed to be put on a feltboard, and could be moved around. Of course, they did not always stay on the feltboard, and might appear on a quilt. If they really need to be stitched on, I would use a blanket stitch, which would form a nice outline. I think a cross stitch might be too fussy.

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:24 pm

i actually envisioned the little toys as coloured paper cut-outs not felt or quilt.
i can make them look like they're stitched on the quilt but it won't look good because they're so small and have tiny details.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:...Seems like something neutral would look a little better.

Dim, I'm looking at this as i haven't visited for a while...
2 things that strike me about the colours...
I agree with lostalimbo about neutral probably being better for the army boxes, and
the regions around casper...their pattern is out of place with everything else and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any chance you could keep one of the colours (probably dark green) and find a similar pattern to what is going on in the rest of the continents ?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:34 pm

cairnswk wrote:I agree with lostalimbo about neutral probably being better for the army boxes, and

what do you mean neutral? currently they're a very light pink which as you can see above shows all the colours perfectly.
do you want the army boxes to be white? i can do that but wouldn't it be too bland?

cairnswk wrote:the regions around casper...their pattern is out of place with everything else and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any chance you could keep one of the colours (probably dark green) and find a similar pattern to what is going on in the rest of the continents ?

why is it out of place? each piece of quilt is an actual texture of material and just like the others have zig-zag patterns, dot patterns or line patterns, this one has a square pattern.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 pm

DiM wrote:
cairnswk wrote:I agree with lostalimbo about neutral probably being better for the army boxes, and

what do you mean neutral? currently they're a very light pink which as you can see above shows all the colours perfectly.
do you want the army boxes to be white? i can do that but wouldn't it be too bland?

I think pink it the wrong colour for the overall design....and as such i fiddled.
The colours that work really well as parts of the overall design are light blue R201 G241 B243
and black. White/grey stands out too much although is probably better for seeing the army numbers.
Black works really well with the army numbers. However, my opinion as always!

cairnswk wrote:the regions around casper...their pattern is out of place with everything else and sticks out like a sore thumb. Any chance you could keep one of the colours (probably dark green) and find a similar pattern to what is going on in the rest of the continents ?

why is it out of place? each piece of quilt is an actual texture of material and just like the others have zig-zag patterns, dot patterns or line patterns, this one has a square pattern.

it is a two coloured checkered pattern and because the check squares are larger than other stitches stands out much more than all the others patterns. It is not a similar sewing pattern to the other areas.

I also think you need to separate the AUNTY and FOXY continents - two greens beside each other.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas