Conquer Club

4 Star Meats [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Prime Beef (dec 18)

Postby dana1971 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Sorry for the delay, I've had a lot on recently and making all those lines exactly even took a while but I've done it.

I've also changed the design a bit.

Does anyone feel it needs more fat boarders.

I've also decided to keep the name Lord of the Flies because I really like it.
However if that name is going to stop it from being published then I'll change it.

Click image to enlarge.

What do I need to do to get this to the next stage?

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Re: Prime Beef [Dec 18] page 09

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, you could call it "horde of the flies" which I suppose is a bit more accurate.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:08 am

Can I ask why you need this to be larger than normal (super size)? You only have 67 territs on it and lots of wasted space.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dana1971 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:46 am

This is my first map, so don't really know what size is good, and not sure it matters really?

Maybe "Fly swarm" sounds better?

So what do I need to do to get a gameplay sticker???

Best Wishes,
Dana
Captain dana1971

Postby Flapcake on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am

You could easily reduce it to 840x800 then you dont need the super S sticky, just scale it down, then maby redo the text as it probably dont like to be reducede with the picture.

oh btw, I suggest that the tale can atack the fly swarm, as in real life 8-)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby dana1971 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Still don't understand why it matters if it's a large scale map? Why not keep it large, it's got the sticker. What's the benefit of it being smaller?
Captain dana1971

Postby iancanton on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 am

this is a lot better than i had initially expected.

fix the four-way border by staggering the meeting-point between thick rib, standing rib, cross rib and brisket. lengthen the standing rib fat barrier slightly at both ends, so that it's crytal clear u cannot attack across the ends from standing rib.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 am

dana1971 wrote:Still don't understand why it matters if it's a large scale map? Why not keep it large, it's got the sticker. What's the benefit of it being smaller?

It is not that it matters a great deal, but the super sticker is there for a reason. For maps that need the extra space. This map does not in any way need extra space. It would be very easy to get rid of the extra pixels from the sides as the top and bottom does not need shrinking.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am

if this manages to get through the foundry process i call dibs on turkey and pig maps. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:57 am

DiM wrote:if this manages to get through the foundry process i call dibs on turkey and pig maps. :roll:

Start the Turkey one now, in a couple of days you should have great opportunity to map out the dark and light meat.
This is my one.
Kangaroo Yum Yum :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
DiM wrote:if this manages to get through the foundry process i call dibs on turkey and pig maps. :roll:

Start the Turkey one now, in a couple of days you should have great opportunity to map out the dark and light meat.
This is my one.

we don't eat turkey for christmas in my country. it's mostly pork :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:10 pm

DiM wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

This is my one.

we don't eat turkey for christmas in my country. it's mostly pork :)

No Turkey :o Well, here in Hungary, it is Fish soup as the traditional Xmas lunch (but turkey for us). You do the pig and I will do the a fish. If we get a few more involved, we should be able to get the whole animal kingdom done by 2026. :lol:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:15 pm

koontz1973 wrote: You do the pig and I will do the a fish.

it's a deal.

koontz1973 wrote: If we get a few more involved, we should be able to get the whole animal kingdom done by 2026. :lol:

sounds like a good plan.

maybe we should talk to lack about launching a separate site called Conquer Club - Zoology edition :lol:
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:54 pm

DiM wrote:

it's a deal.

koontz1973 wrote: If we get a few more involved, we should be able to get the whole animal kingdom done by 2026. :lol:

sounds like a good plan.

maybe we should talk to lack about launching a separate site called Conquer Club - Zoology edition :lol:

Lets leave it up to Sully or Andy to see that we mean business. I am sure they could talk the turtle around. Speaking of turtles, that could be a good one to start with. Have the shell as an impassable so the head, feet and tail cannot attack each other for a no win game but hold the head and tail to get the lack bonus and win. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:42 am

This seems to be turning into a bit of a spam/off topic fest. Either let the map die in the recycle bin or keep the conversation ontopic.

Cheers guys,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby dana1971 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Here's the latest version of the map with added barriers and renamed the flies.

Click image to enlarge.

Can I get this post moved back to the foundry now, and get a gameplay sticker please sirs.
Captain dana1971

Re: Prime Beef [Dec 24] page 10

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:17 pm

although you know i really dislike the idea behind this map, you are following the foundry guidelines more than others.
The map was update, so accordingly the guidelines I don't see a valid reason to leave it in the bin. (apart the fact i think it sucks :mrgreen: )
Anyway I'm going to move it back into the main foundry.
Let me say that I like your graphics, but your gameplay and the idea behind the map need serious improvements. I still think it's a joke more than a real map and in the old foundry your map would have never left the drafting room, anyway things change with the time and we can stay here to see them change or change with them. I'm for change with them.

But remember that the foundry process is not just follow a precise number of steps...there's more than this...
I think you should try to add something more to the map and I really suggest you to read the oaktown post --> viewtopic.php?f=242&t=156204&start=105#p3456547

Now, please continue with your map development and hope I have to eat my words...suprise me with your next update. Good Luck!
Nobodies

[Moved]
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:26 pm

thenobodies80 wrote: accordingly the guidelines I don't see a valid reason to leave it in the bin. (apart the fact i think it sucks :mrgreen: )

actually that fact should be reason enough for this to be left in the bin.
what this map actually says is that anybody can come up with any stupid idea and it will eventually be quenched if you follow the guidelines.

i dread the day when we'll have all kinds of animals and plants as maps. or the day when we'll resurrect all those stupid ideas like human body or brain or whatever other stupid themes have been suggested and tried in the past.

this map devalues the work of all other map makers (new or old).

i have nothing personal against the map maker and in fact i quite like the graphics. but i'd rather see his time and skill put towards a good theme/concept/idea not a fricking cow map.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:33 pm

DiM wrote:actually that fact should be reason enough for this to be left in the bin.

So just because a CA (and you) doesn't like a map, it's development should be prevented by the CA:s, even if it has community support?

I don't think it's supposed to work that way. The CA:s shouldn't dictate which map goes through and which doesn't, they should only enforce the community opinion.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:49 pm

natty_dread wrote:The CA:s shouldn't dictate which map goes through and which doesn't, they should only enforce the community opinio

In fact the map was moved back ;)

EDIT: That doesn't mean we're going to support it
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 pm

natty_dread wrote:
DiM wrote:actually that fact should be reason enough for this to be left in the bin.

So just because a CA (and you) doesn't like a map, it's development should be prevented by the CA:s, even if it has community support?

I don't think it's supposed to work that way. The CA:s shouldn't dictate which map goes through and which doesn't, they should only enforce the community opinion.

actually it's kinda supposed to work that way. we have a Foreman and CAs to supervise the whole foundry and make sure only top notch maps come out.
the foreman and his assistants are chosen because they proved they have experience when it comes to map making and their decisions are good ones.
in the past we used to have several maps with community support that were cut right from the start because they were plain silly.

the first examples that come to mind are the vomit map and vace's super cool map. you're a bpb, talk to then and ressurect the ideas. i'm pretty sure they'd be quenched in the current foundry conditions. you have the skills to make the gfx up to par and support is easy when you have a clan backing you up (like this map has kort).

if all you need is the "community" support (simulated by bringing your clan members) and decent graphics then anything can pass and the Foreman and his CAs should just resign cause they no longer have any role in leading the foundry. or maybe keep just one of them to move threads around when the "community" asks.

PS: if this gets quenched i already called dibs on pig and turkey. if natty gets the vomit quenched i call dibs on two more maps. "Semen Invaders" and "Poo-Fighters".

edit// this is offtopic. if you want to carry on discussing we should create a separate thread. otherwise we're just adding posts to this thread and keeping it on top and people might actually think it has support.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:11 pm

dana1971 wrote:Here's the latest version of the map with added barriers and renamed the flies.

And here it is with some of the 88's added.
As you can see, a lot of territs cannot fit the 88 inside them now so when you come to draw the small map. it will be impossible. I would hate to suggest you have to redraw the whole map, but it might have to come to that so it is clear when it gets quenched. :? To get the cuts the right size, you may have to lose some of the small ones and even expand others. This may not look like a cow in the end but it will be playable. I ran a quick check for CB friendliness and the legend is in no way friendly. That needs to be addressed. ;)
dana1971 wrote:Can I get this post moved back to the foundry now, and get a gameplay sticker please sirs.

Wait a second, we have not finished with GP yet.
You have 3 arrows going to the fly swarm but some text for another attack. Why the two types of instructions?
Can the CP attack the swarm?
Your swarm attacks 3 territs that are very close to each other. Why so close? Can a fly not fly anywhere?
Neutrals, your numbers seem way off for a game of this size. How did you pick those numbers and why?

I called fish and turtle. :lol:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby lostatlimbo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 am

To be perfectly blunt, I think this map is lame and I am unlikely to play it if it makes it to beta, but I'm mildly impressed that its hung around this long.

That said, shouldn't the Ox tail attack the flies? If you're going to stay true to theme, then the flies should one way attack the cow and the tail should one way attack the flies. That is, after all, its evolutionary purpose.

The gameplay overall is a cluster, but the piece that stands out the most to me is the grass. No one will ever bother to attack it. Its only purpose would be to attack a bonus and having to go through 8 neutrals in order to take out a +2 bonus is a losing move. If you are going to bother with it, it ought to be less and also attack the tongue.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 am

koontz1973 wrote:
DiM wrote:

it's a deal.

sounds like a good plan.

Lets leave it up to Sully or Andy to see that we mean business. I am sure they could talk the turtle around.

Lol, right, because I am the Splinter to lack's Donatello, or the frat boy to his frat boy :roll: :lol:

Nonetheless, I don't see why Conquer Club can't broaden it's scope :)

@koontz: I'm a little more concerned about the 888s :|

@lostatlimbo: I agree with the content of your second and third paragraphs:
lostatlimbo wrote:That said, shouldn't the Ox tail attack the flies? If you're going to stay true to theme, then the flies should one way attack the cow and the tail should one way attack the flies. That is, after all, its evolutionary purpose.

The gameplay overall is a cluster, but the piece that stands out the most to me is the grass. No one will ever bother to attack it. Its only purpose would be to attack a bonus and having to go through 8 neutrals in order to take out a +2 bonus is a losing move. If you are going to bother with it, it ought to be less and also attack the tongue.

The neutrals for the Cow Pat, the Grass, and the Fly Swarm should be 1 or 2 (1 for the Grass and Fly Swarm, maybe 2 for the Cow Pat). And perhaps you could include a one-way from the Rump or Bottom Round to the Cow Pat, so the Qx Tail doesn't have exclusive access?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Nonetheless, I don't see why Conquer Club can't broaden it's scope :)

-Sully

There is a difference between broadening the scope of maps that can be made and just allowing everything through. If an animal is to be done, why not a killing machine like a lion or crocodile. And yes, if the 88 do not fit, then the 888 will not.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas