Conquer Club

Conquer Cup I

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup I

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:16 pm

I can promise you this--I won't join this bull shit ever again. When you have so many clueless players playing and get a suicidal dumb ass with no chance to take you out attack--it makes no sense to waste five dollars.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Vandal88 wrote:You guys that walk around calling people noobs because they don't play thousands of games at the same time should stop complaining. I only joined CC a few weeks ago but I have been playing risk for over 20 years and I love the game. A game of risk should be fun and I personally enjoy seeking out a continent for a small bonus and proding my opponents borders until the cashes eventually end the game. I have resorted to your so called "escalating strategy" in certain scenerios but to use that as a sole strategy must get redundant and lame. Anyone can stack all their men on one territory and only attacks weak territories that surround them for a card until the cash reaches freakin' 80 or whatever, but that takes no strategy and actually makes the game boring. The game should be about maneuvering and shifting alliances, which comes about best when each player focuses on one or two key regions or continents. Not about creating "stacks". I find the Conquer Cup tournament very boring and disappointing because their are so many supposed "masters at escalating strategy" who have lost focus of the game and ruin it for those of us are here to enjoy ourselves. I got a new term, "stackers", and I won't be using it to describe someone in a positive manner.

I won't even read this mess --all I have to do is read the first sentence and then look at your rank to know you are a clueless dumb ass.

Postby owenshooter on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 am

just wondering if this still qualifies for the biggest risk or roll playing tournament in the Guiness Book, despite being half the original intended size. fascinating concept, even if the rules had to be amended to make it legal by the sites own rules. good luck with CC2, i personally refuse to pay for this as i am a premium member and don't see any added value in giving the site more money in a gambling pyramid where it seems as if newbs decimated the experienced players (from the posts in this thread)... i hope more time is put into making updates from the suggs forum for the paying members of the community that were promised some "huge mega ultra secret CC improvement" that amounted to not even a ripple in the forums... again, is this still qualifying for the Guiness Book or did the Cup fall short?-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 am

owenshooter wrote:just wondering if this still qualifies for the biggest risk or roll playing tournament in the Guiness Book, despite being half the original intended size. fascinating concept, even if the rules had to be amended to make it legal by the sites own rules. good luck with CC2, i personally refuse to pay for this as i am a premium member and don't see any added value in giving the site more money in a gambling pyramid where it seems as if newbs decimated the experienced players (from the posts in this thread)... i hope more time is put into making updates from the suggs forum for the paying members of the community that were promised some "huge mega ultra secret CC improvement" that amounted to not even a ripple in the forums... again, is this still qualifying for the Guiness Book or did the Cup fall short?-el Jesus negro

I don't think it fell short, but I can't say for sure *shrugs*

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:07 am

Pretty sure HA's 200th Tourney knocks the spots off this for both participation and number of games (bear in mind the C.Cup format knocks out 80% of the field in R1). Would be nice if HA posted some stats re his tourney, just for reference (I can't find anything in his tourney thread).

If CC genuinely wants to break a world record then it's well within its ability to create an allcomers tourney (with no sleazy admission fee) and maybe offer a prize to the winner. It could be for premium members only. The result.....

- a gesture of thanks to those who support the site with their membership fees
- a true 'Conquer Cup' victor, rather than an elite few who happened to shell-out $5 for the privilege
- an increase in the number of premium members, as freemiums sign-up to participate (a lot of freemiums joined this tourney yet are still not premium members)
- no ill-will caused by money being lost due to a noob move in a game (nothing invested, nothing lost)
- global publicity for the site due to an authentic record being broken
- the likelihood of renewed premiums due to ongoing participation in the tourney (one has to be premium to win, even at the time of the final)

Lack....my services are available should you wish to bring on board a PR/Promotions/Bus.Development rep :D
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby greenoaks on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
owenshooter wrote:just wondering if this still qualifies for the biggest risk or roll playing tournament in the Guiness Book, despite being half the original intended size. fascinating concept, even if the rules had to be amended to make it legal by the sites own rules. good luck with CC2, i personally refuse to pay for this as i am a premium member and don't see any added value in giving the site more money in a gambling pyramid where it seems as if newbs decimated the experienced players (from the posts in this thread)... i hope more time is put into making updates from the suggs forum for the paying members of the community that were promised some "huge mega ultra secret CC improvement" that amounted to not even a ripple in the forums... again, is this still qualifying for the Guiness Book or did the Cup fall short?-el Jesus negro

I don't think it fell short, but I can't say for sure *shrugs*

-Sully

it can't fall short if there is currently no record for it

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Search.aspx?q=most+people+playing
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby jleaux on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:46 am

You're all majorly harshing my buzz for having made the finals. Those bitching that they fell to early n00b stupidity, just keep this in mind: All you lost out on was the opportunity to fall to my skill at drawing late round three card sets (this is where most people would insert an emoticon to let everyone know the preceding was said with tongue in cheek, but I hate those damned things and refuse to use them).

PS I don't pretend to know the finances of Conquer Club or those who run it, but I assume that they're not buying condos on South Beach off our Premium memberships. The Conquer Cup will net them a whopping extra 2k, which I assume will help keep the club running. Were I trying to find creative ways of financing the site, I might be insulted to have my idea of a very small entry fee for an occasional special tournament called "sleazy."

I have paid $60 for video games that gave me 15 hours of enjoyment. In the year and a half since joining, I'm sure I have hundreds of hours of enjoyment from this site. Premium membership, plus an occasional tourney entry fee are a bargain by comparison. So you got knocked out early? Big deal. You participated and helped support the site.
Lieutenant jleaux

Postby Butters1919 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

jleaux wrote:You're all majorly harshing my buzz for having made the finals.

Ignore what folks say. You made the finals by winning 3 games in a row. Luck will play a part of that, as it will for the other 4 (regardless of rank) that make the finals with you. But skill will also play a role for the 5 finalists.

Good luck to you in the final game!
Cook Butters1919

Postby HighlanderAttack on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 pm

jleaux wrote:You're all majorly harshing my buzz for having made the finals. Those bitching that they fell to early n00b stupidity, just keep this in mind: All you lost out on was the opportunity to fall to my skill at drawing late round three card sets (this is where most people would insert an emoticon to let everyone know the preceding was said with tongue in cheek, but I hate those damned things and refuse to use them).

PS I don't pretend to know the finances of Conquer Club or those who run it, but I assume that they're not buying condos on South Beach off our Premium memberships. The Conquer Cup will net them a whopping extra 2k, which I assume will help keep the club running. Were I trying to find creative ways of financing the site, I might be insulted to have my idea of a very small entry fee for an occasional special tournament called "sleazy."

I have paid $60 for video games that gave me 15 hours of enjoyment. In the year and a half since joining, I'm sure I have hundreds of hours of enjoyment from this site. Premium membership, plus an occasional tourney entry fee are a bargain by comparison. So you got knocked out early? Big deal. You participated and helped support the site.

When you have three players left in a game

Pink-most armies
Blue -about 20 less
Whatever color I was 20 armies less

Blue bashes into me with no opportunity to re-cash or take me out

To me that is one of the most blatant forms of dumb-ass-ness I have ever seen--yes that is my word. All that did was give the game away to pink. Pink played great don't get me wrong-doing the bonus thing early (not my way), but it worked for him and I give him props, but for blue to give the game to him is truly a joke. This is the kind of noob moves I believe most players are speaking of.

Postby jleaux on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm not arguing that it doesn't suck. I agree, it does! My only point is that the tourney is not the travesty people in this forum are making it out to be. I personally approached it as a lark and as a way to throw $5 extra to the site that I feel has already given me considerable value for my money.

In the end, I've enjoyed the tourney and I guess I just want to pipe up in the middle of all the naysaying and say, "Hey Lack, thanks for doing this. I've had fun." Which, I understand, is easy for me to say.
Lieutenant jleaux

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:24 pm

=D> Congrats for making the finals, jleaux! It's nice to see a fellow Ohioan made it all the way to the finals! Good luck in the final game! :D

Glad you're having fun :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Ohioan

Is this a real word? It's incredibly difficult to say, especially in the sentence above.

And yeah....congrats and good luck in the final jleaux.
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
Colonel Chariot of Fire

Postby Butters1919 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:=D> Congrats for making the finals, jleaux! It's nice to see a fellow Ohioan made it all the way to the finals! Good luck in the final game! :D

Glad you're having fun :)

-Sully

Hear hear! (not that I'm from Ohio, or the US for that matter, I just echo the the congratulatory nature of the message)
Cook Butters1919

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 am

jleaux wrote:You're all majorly harshing my buzz for having made the finals. Those bitching that they fell to early n00b stupidity, just keep this in mind: All you lost out on was the opportunity to fall to my skill at drawing late round three card sets (this is where most people would insert an emoticon to let everyone know the preceding was said with tongue in cheek, but I hate those damned things and refuse to use them).

Well, you're a lieutenant, so you can't be that much of a noob...:-)
(Sorry, but I like emoticons.)

I agree totally with your last paragraph. I mean, a ticket for a movie which lasts 90 minutes is $12. In many places you can't even get a coffee and a sandwich for $5. I paid it with no regrets, and yeah, I got killed first round. Oh, well, Crimea River. Not the first or the last tournament where I got killed first round.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jleaux on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Chariot of Fire wrote:
Ohioan

Is this a real word? It's incredibly difficult to say, especially in the sentence above.

What else would you call a person from Ohio? Ohioite? Ohioer? Ohiogander?

Partial to "-gander' myself, but only Michiganders use it.
Lieutenant jleaux

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:17 pm

"Ohioan" is actually a real word :D

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:56 pm

And...we have a winner!

Congrats to
jleaux for pulling out a Round 13 victory to seal the deal and claim the top spot as Conquer Cup I Champion! Though the holidays have passed, I'm sure this late present is still welcomed!

Moreover, many congrats to all the Finalists who gave him a tough game, and who fought against the odds to make it into the final deciding game!

Similarly congrats to all the Semi-Finalists for racking up a couple of wins in the tournament as well!

And of course, we must thank all participants for playing and making Conquer Cup I a fun tournament to watch from the sidelines, and one to remember---and hopefully fun to play in too!

===================================================================================

Make sure to check out the Medals Page to see the recipients of each award trophy as well!

All medals have been awarded. Prizes will be start to make their way out over the next couple of weeks.

And last, but certainly not least...make sure to check out Conquer Cup II!

• An official announcement regarding format / settings will occur on February 1st, 2012.

• But if you already know you want to play in the next thrilling Conquer Cup, you can pre-register today or anytime before it is officially opened to ensure you've got a spot!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby CJ Lues on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:43 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:And...we have a winner!

Congrats to
jleaux for pulling out a Round 13 victory to seal the deal and claim the top spot as Conquer Cup I Champion! Though the holidays have passed, I'm sure this late present is still welcomed!

Moreover, many congrats to all the Finalists who gave him a tough game, and who fought against the odds to make it into the final deciding game!

Similarly congrats to all the Semi-Finalists for racking up a couple of wins in the tournament as well!

And of course, we must thank all participants for playing and making Conquer Cup I a fun tournament to watch from the sidelines, and one to remember---and hopefully fun to play in too!

===================================================================================

Make sure to check out the Medals Page to see the recipients of each award trophy as well!

All medals have been awarded. Prizes will be start to make their way out over the next couple of weeks.

And last, but certainly not least...make sure to check out Conquer Cup II!

• An official announcement regarding format / settings will occur on February 1st, 2012.

• But if you already know you want to play in the next thrilling Conquer Cup, you can pre-register today or anytime before it is officially opened to ensure you've got a spot!

--Andy

Well done jleaux!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby squishyg on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Congratulations! That's an iPad well earned!
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm

squishyg wrote:Congratulations! That's an iPad well earned!

iPad 2!!!
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby squishyg on Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:21 pm

chapcrap wrote:
squishyg wrote:Congratulations! That's an iPad well earned!

iPad 2!!!

Ooh, well la ti da! ;-)
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Hooray!!!!! :D I was rooting for him since Round 2! :D

GOhio! :mrgreen:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby macbone on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Way to go, man!!
Colonel macbone

Postby mcshanester29 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Great Win
show

I am away from CC for a long break! John 3:16-17
Private mcshanester29

Postby jleaux on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:16 am

Thank you all. There was a high level of sportsmanship in every game I played and I enjoyed them all tremendously. Looking forward to the sequel come February.
Lieutenant jleaux

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives