Conquer Club

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Slovakia - V12 - Pg 1&14

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 am

Image Image Image
ImageImage

Map Name: Slovakia
Mapmaker(s): DiM, Zimmah
Number of Territories: 27
Special Features: 3 terits start as neutral (3) the rest are normally deployed.
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: it's a simple small map perfect for quick games

large:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/Slovakia-L-1.png
Click image to enlarge.

small:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/Slovakia-S-1.png
Click image to enlarge.

show: V12

show: V11

show: V10

show: V9

show: V8

show: V7

show: V6

show: V5

show: V4

show: V3

show: V2

show: V1
Last edited by DiM on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 25 times in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Slovakia

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:17 am

That's way too cluttered with so many territories. Cut down at least half of them.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Slovakia

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:20 am

natty_dread wrote:That's way too cluttered with so many territories. Cut down at least half of them.

no way. this is the next battle royale map :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V1 - P1

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:31 am

Nothing wrong with this apart from being way to dark. I foresee a rash of small maps being made. How the times have changed.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:39 am

koontz1973 wrote:Nothing wrong with this apart from being way to dark.

really? :? i initially made it darker but just before posting it i added an adjustment layer to make it brighter.
i honestly like it more like this. i think it's a nice change from all the pastel coloured, clean and light maps that we have. we don't have many dark grungy maps out there.

koontz1973 wrote: I foresee a rash of small maps being made. How the times have changed.

a rash? why? small maps have their own merit.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 am

the gameplay is pretty straight forward. my only question is if i should change the northern border of bratislava region to make it connect to trencin.
my concern is that bratislava is locked by trnava with the current borders. i'm not a big fan of changing real borders but as we all know gameplay comes first.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 am

It is so dark, I can hardly read the legend, what there is of it. Also, the left territ names.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 am

koontz1973 wrote:It is so dark, I can hardly read the legend, what there is of it. Also, the left territ names.

no way man. either you have very poor eyesight or the brightness of your display is very low. i can read the legend from 10 feet away.

i mean ok let's say i'd understand the image being a bit dark. but to be unable to read the legend is impossible. :shock:
Major DiM

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 am

Do you assume everyone knows Bratislava is a capital and not a region? Removing the army circles from regions would make more clear what is the region and what is the capital.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby J_Indr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:06 am

Wow, don't tell me that now with Gentle Revolution we suddenly have two Slovak maps in development.

You need to correct the diacriticals your capitals though:

Trenčín
Žilina
Prešov
Košice
Banská Bystrica
Corporal 1st Class J_Indr

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:Do you assume everyone knows Bratislava is a capital and not a region? Removing the army circles from regions would make more clear what is the region and what is the capital.

actually no.
i'm talking about the capitals of regions not about the capital of the country.

for example the Trenčiansky region has the capital in Trenčín and if you hold both you get +1.

that's why each continent has 2 terits. one is the region and one is the region's capital.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:15 am

J_Indr wrote:Wow, don't tell me that now with Gentle Revolution we suddenly have two Slovak maps in development.

You need to correct the diacriticals your capitals though:

Trenčín
Žilina
Prešov
Košice
Banská Bystrica

lol i didn't even realise that :))
actually i was talking to a few colleagues from work about maybe taking a trip through europe this summer and slovakia would be one of the locations in our trip so that gave me the idea to make a map of it while i was looking on google maps.

but i guess it's no problem if we have 2 maps since the gameplay is completely different.

and yep, i know i need to correct the capital names. somehow i forgot to do those.
Major DiM

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:19 am

DiM wrote:
sannemanrobinson wrote:Do you assume everyone knows Bratislava is a capital and not a region? Removing the army circles from regions would make more clear what is the region and what is the capital.

actually no.

for example the Trenčiansky region has the capital in Trenčín and if you hold both you get +1.

that's why each continent has 2 terits. one is the region and one is the region's capital.

So both the region and the capital borders the surrounding regions?
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:
DiM wrote:

actually no.

So both the region and the capital borders the surrounding regions?

yes
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:28 am

V2:
*corrected the capital names
*differentiated the text for capital names and region names on the map and in the legend to avoid any confusion
*made the map lighter.

Major DiM

Re: Slovakia [19.01.12] - V2 - P1

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 am

thanks for PM DiM and for map about Slovakia.

Slovakia is little country, with too little regions. what about to add it any theme? and more regions?

to the cities and region names:

cities: Bratislava, Trenčín, Nitra, Trnava, Žilina, Banská Bystrica, Košice, Prešov
regions: Bratislavský kraj, Trenčiansky kraj, Nitriansky kraj, Trnavský kraj, Žilinský kraj, Banskobystrický kraj, Košický kraj, Prešovský kraj

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 am

Oneyed wrote:thanks for PM DiM and for map about Slovakia.

Slovakia is little country, with too little regions. what about to add it any theme? and more regions?

i don't think it needs a theme. i mean it is a just a country with a classic gameplay. nothing fancy. themes are usually for fantasy maps or weird gameplay.
as for the regions i want it like this to be a small map.

Oneyed wrote:to the cities and region names:

cities: Bratislava, Trenčín, Nitra, Trnava, Žilina, Banská Bystrica, Košice, Prešov
regions: Bratislavský kraj, Trenčiansky kraj, Nitriansky kraj, Trnavský kraj, Žilinský kraj, Banskobystrický kraj, Košický kraj, Prešovský kraj

Oneyed

i think i have all of those names corrected in version 2. i didn't add kraj because that means region and it seems rather redundant to repeat it all over.
Major DiM

Postby Roberth on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 am

Nice looking map there DiM! I like the grunge feel of it.

But I think that the flag background is a little bit to prominent and makes it feel a bit to "crowded" in some places, for example around the detail in the middle of the map. Maybe if you lowered the opacity for the flag layer (with a white or light gray layer behind) a bit to maybe ~70%.

Otherwise it's really good looking!
Conquer Club Wiki website is a try to gather all the knowledge about Conquer Club
Cook Roberth

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:40 am

DiM wrote:i don't think it needs a theme. i mean it is a just a country with a classic gameplay. nothing fancy. themes are usually for fantasy maps or weird gameplay.

ok. but only 16 regions? what about historical/cultural regions with towns? there will be more regions with more borders also...
DiM wrote:i think i have all of those names corrected in version 2. i didn't add kraj because that means region and it seems rather redundant to repeat it all over.

but Bratislavský sounds uncomplete...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 am

If I recall correctly the current minimum requirement for region amount is 24.

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 am

Doodle is 18 and Lux 19...
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 am

Oneyed wrote:
DiM wrote:i don't think it needs a theme. i mean it is a just a country with a classic gameplay. nothing fancy. themes are usually for fantasy maps or weird gameplay.

ok. but only 16 regions? what about historical/cultural regions with towns? there will be more regions with more borders also...

obviously a hundred variations can be made ranging from gameplay to number of regions. my choice is a classic gameplay with few terits.

Oneyed wrote:
DiM wrote:i think i have all of those names corrected in version 2. i didn't add kraj because that means region and it seems rather redundant to repeat it all over.

but Bratislavský sounds uncomplete...

Oneyed

i'll need more opinions on this.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 am

i've moved the flag a bit and worked on a few variations to avoid the clutter in the coat of arms area.
please chose your favourite

1. current version

2. light colours

3. washed out colours

4. moved the coat of arms

i also worked on the capital terit names so here's an alternative that's perhaps easier to read:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 am

sannemanrobinson wrote:Doodle is 18 and Lux 19...

Yes and those maps wouldn't be let through today. We already have 2 maps that have less than 24 regions, that doesn't mean any more should be made.

Postby DiM on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 am

natty_dread wrote:
sannemanrobinson wrote:Doodle is 18 and Lux 19...

Yes and those maps wouldn't be let through today. We already have 2 maps that have less than 24 regions, that doesn't mean any more should be made.

a rule with minimum 24 terits is just plain stupid.
doodle and luxembourg are 2 of the most played maps solely for the fact that they're small.
Major DiM

Next

Return to Recycling Box