Change the sorting of public games: fewest open spaces first
  • as stated

Specifics/Details:
  • The newest games are listed first when anyone is looking for games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • worst game types end up timing out
  • fast filling games that are likely to start first are then picked up first
  • end the need to scroll to the back of the list
  • additionally this will end most forms of farming clueless noobs due to them not knowing they don't really stand a chance and don't know enough to not join.
  • and prevents me from having to scroll the first 2 pages of quad games that i am never going to join since my teammates are so good they get blacklisted and thus cannot join as a team

there is a single negative side, that is incedently positive. 8 player single games get listed all the way in the back. this is negative since this means it might take longer to fill, but since people look more activly for these settings, this tends to be less of a problem. positive is that the newest made 8 player games singles will be in the last page, so flipping it that side will also give me an instant view of new games.. also quad games that tend to be farmers paradise will then end up in the middle. lookable, but no eyecandy for noobs
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Re: Change the sorting of public games: fewest open spaces f

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:23 pm

SirSebstar wrote:there is a single negative side, that is incedently positive. 8 player single games get listed all the way in the back. this is negative since this means it might take longer to fill, but since people look more activly for these settings, this tends to be less of a problem.

How do you know what most people search for?

I wouldn't want this. As an option? Ok. Sorting options should be available. That much is definitely true. But I wouldn't want this done automatically.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Excellent suggestion
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby SirSebstar on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:48 pm

chapcrap wrote:
SirSebstar wrote:there is a single negative side, that is incedently positive. 8 player single games get listed all the way in the back. this is negative since this means it might take longer to fill, but since people look more activly for these settings, this tends to be less of a problem.

How do you know what most people search for?

I wouldn't want this. As an option? Ok. Sorting options should be available. That much is definitely true. But I wouldn't want this done automatically.

okay lets rephrase that. i know what players look for since those games tend to fill up the fastest. In the first 2 pages of the 2k open games you get when you press [join a game] there is not a single 8 player sequential game. Considering they are now still sorted by how long they are open/waiting this leads to the conclusion that these types of games are what people are actually looking for instead of just joining the first game they see.

i do agree that this setting is not always ideal, if you like freestyle and or quads with unknowns against established teams then page 1 and 2 do certainly serve your need... sigh okay that was sarcasm. my suggestion is certainly much better then the current alternative, i hope you agree with that. if you have a better idea then this one to improve the join a game, then i am most certainly open for this.
Major SirSebstar

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't have a problem with the currect setup. If I'm looking for something specific, I use Game Finder.

If you want to see the newest games, it's only 1 more click to go to the last page of games.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:45 pm

chapcrap wrote:I don't have a problem with the currect setup. If I'm looking for something specific, I use Game Finder.

If you want to see the newest games, it's only 1 more click to go to the last page of games.

Me too, but I would like to see Gamefinder have the capability to show the games with the fewest openings left at the top. That's the first thing I look for, outside of general settings.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby shanksdigs on Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 am

I like this idea. seems like the game I want to play will show up on page one; and the games only a few people want tplay will end up on page 65.
Lieutenant shanksdigs

Location: Premiums, please do not join my games if you cannot play fast/RT.

Postby SirSebstar on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 am

Woodruff wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I don't have a problem with the currect setup. If I'm looking for something specific, I use Game Finder.

Me too, but I would like to see Gamefinder have the capability to show the games with the fewest openings left at the top. That's the first thing I look for, outside of general settings.

this!
yup
Major SirSebstar

Postby Verns on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 am

Great suggestion. General sorting on game finder would be good as well.
Corporal Verns

Postby MrBoom on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:36 pm

Excellent idea
Lieutenant MrBoom

Postby Goldmaster123 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 am

If the fewest open spaces system was to be implement, might I suggest a different approach:

It displays the games with the smallest vacant percent of players missing. That way, 8 player games that are half full are weighed just as much as 1v1s.

I personally have a very narrow range of games I enjoy, so I usually only get 10 results when I use game finder. Thus, this is not a problem for me.
Lieutenant Goldmaster123

Return to Archived Suggestions