Conquer Club

New option for escalating spoils games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

New option for escalating spoils games

Postby x13ar on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Concise description:

Escalating games are fast, that's good. But many time the best players lost the game because a mistake of a rookie. Very often, not experiment players do a lot of mistakes, became weak, and they are easily killed by the lucky player next to them. As a result, the lucky player collect spoils, change cards again, kill other rookie player, collect spoils, kill other player, ...., win the game (I bet you know what I mean).

The conclusion is that the game is won by the lucky player, not by the best player.
So, I propose to limit the exchange of cards to only one by turn. At the end of the turn, if you have more then 5 cards in your hand you have to choose what cards discard.

Specifics/Details:
  • In escalating spoils games you can change spoils only once per turn.
  • At the end of the turn, if a player has more then 5 cards in his/her hands (because he/her has just killed other player), the player has to choose what spoils discard.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

Best players have more chances to win games, even if there are rookie, suicides or bad players.
Corporal 1st Class x13ar

Re: New option for escalating spoils games

Postby JBlombier on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:07 pm

It has somewhat the same as Adjacent Attacks: One turn at a time will make you think before you do something and involves more strategy. I kinda like the idea and would probably play it, but I don't think it's very needed on this site. The options we have are good and if people don't like the way escalating works, they have 3 other options.

Nonetheless, I do like the idea. I'd like to see where this thread is going. I might've missed some disadvantages.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 pm

With new options there really isn't a disadvantage most of the time. Just another style.

The one thing I would say is what if you eliminate a person you could end up with 9 cards. Shouldn't you get to trade twice there? And what if you eliminate another person after that? You could start your next turn with 11 cards or something. That seems silly to me.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cookie0117 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 am

As a new style of play it would be good but it should replace esc games as they are. There is alot to be gained by timing a kill run right and you will find better players winning more than lucky one.
Private cookie0117

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Escalating games are fine the way they are. Rather than making a new type of escalating game, why not make up an entirely new type of game?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby x13ar on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:48 pm

chapcrap wrote:With new options there really isn't a disadvantage most of the time. Just another style.

The one thing I would say is what if you eliminate a person you could end up with 9 cards. Shouldn't you get to trade twice there? And what if you eliminate another person after that? You could start your next turn with 11 cards or something. That seems silly to me.

Nope, the idea is to trade cards only once per turn. If you end up with more than 5 cards in your turn you HAVE TO DISCARD the exceeding cards (you will able to choose which ones to discard). You will never start a turn with more than 5 cards.
Corporal 1st Class x13ar

Postby x13ar on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 pm

JBlombier wrote:It has somewhat the same as Adjacent Attacks: One turn at a time will make you think before you do something and involves more strategy.

Even in that cases you are susceptible to lose the game because of non-reasonable (stupid) players. If one or two of that players weak them selves in their turn, the next player will easily eliminate them creating a domino effect (trading cards of killed players) and will eliminate all other good players. That's annoying.
Corporal 1st Class x13ar

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:07 am

x13ar wrote:Even in that cases you are susceptible to lose the game because of non-reasonable (stupid) players. If one or two of that players weak them selves in their turn, the next player will easily eliminate them creating a domino effect (trading cards of killed players) and will eliminate all other good players. That's annoying.

That's just the way escalating is. If you don't like the game type, there are other options.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby x13ar on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 pm

natty dread wrote:That's just the way escalating is.

Of course that's the way escalating is, so?

natty dread wrote:If you don't like the game type, there are other options.

No, I don't like the game type, that's the reason I've posted this suggestion, I'd like to have more options to play. What's the problem with that? I'm just proposing ADD new options/ways/games-types to play, I don't want to discuss how can it be implemented. It can be a new option for escalating games, or can be an entirely new type of game, it's not my business.
Corporal 1st Class x13ar

Postby agentcom on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I like this as another option, but not to replace the existing escalating option. But I would put it very, very far down on my CC wish list. Nice suggestion though.
Colonel agentcom

Postby anonymus on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

chapcrap wrote:With new options there really isn't a disadvantage most of the time. Just another style.

and since you cannto recash you are weak and the person after you ends up with 11+4 cards?

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Colonel anonymus

Postby agentcom on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

anonymus wrote:

and since you cannto recash you are weak and the person after you ends up with 11+4 cards?

/ :?:

If you're going to comment, you could at least read the original suggestion: If you have more than 5 cards, you discard.
Colonel agentcom

Postby macbone on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Ouch! As someone who loves Escalating games, it would suck to have to discard a bunch of spoils, just because I couldn't cash them in.

The Risk app for iOS uses a rule that you can't cash mid-turn, that you have to wait until your next turn to cash. I've seen this rule referred to as a European variant before, although I guess our European folks could confirm or deny whether that's true.

By eliminating mid-turn cashes, you'd have to be a bit more strategic when going for kills in that you don't leave yourself wide open to be eliminated by another player before your turn comes round again. Ah, but think of the potential spoils you could get by taking out someone who's sitting on 8 or more spoils!

However, it's probably not a good idea to take ideas that game companies are implementing in their Conquer Club-like games. Natty has the best suggestion - let's come up with new ways of playing (Zombie spoils, Adjacent attacks), not variants on existing spoil types.
Colonel macbone

Return to Archived Suggestions