Conquer Club

[Vacation until Dec] Clash of Kings - [14.03.14] - V18.1

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Clash of Kings [25.Jan.12] - 1v1 map - V9 - p1&9

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I think part of the problem is the distortion from curving them. You might try a strong or smooth anti-alias on these in addition to lightening the gray.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Re: Clash of Kings [25.Jan.12] - 1v1 map - V9 - p1&9

Postby DiM on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:27 pm

V10:
*tweaked territory labels
*changed assassin and balloon to 30 neutral

thoughts on gameplay?

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by DiM on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Clash of Kings [10.Feb.12] - 1v1 map - V10 - p1&9

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 am

DiM, one thing that concerns me is this. Red can take blue ship 3 with only 6 neutrals. This can give them a good footing in blues camp without blue being able to counter easily. As the castle is the losing condition, can I suggest that this is made a lot harder for them to get a footing into blues camp this way. Will also be a problem in manual as the castle can be taken straight away. Look at removing dock 3 or moving it to the other side of the river. That way red has to come through blues armies the long way. The same can be said for blue getting into reds camp. The ships need to have some rethink to stop the early attacks into each camps.

Thinking about it, manual deployment on this map will cause a lot of problems with the easy way of gettng into each others camps. Why not remove the losing conditions but make it that all bonuses are required to hold the bases or castle. Then you can reduce the neutrals again on the balloon and assassins guild.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 am

so each player starts with 5 terits of 5 troops each. that means that normally with manual deployment 1 troop is automatically placed in each terit and the player decides where to put the rest of 15.

isn't it possible to code the terits to start directly with 5 troops and the player to get nothing to deploy even in manual? i think it is and that basically solves all the issues you mentioned.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:41 am

Not sure what coding the territs to start with 5 will do in a manual game. Has it been done on another map? Better ask a mod.

5 troops + the starting bonuses of 5 gives me ten troops, that way, I can take supply ship 3, assault ship 3 and blues ship 3 with 6 neutrals. This allows me into blues camp. Depending on what I do with the other troops I have, I should be able to reinforce anything between 2 and 4 troops to ship 3. This gives red a huge advantage as he is inside blues defences at the end of round 1.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am

koontz1973 wrote:Not sure what coding the territs to start with 5 will do in a manual game. Has it been done on another map? Better ask a mod.

5 troops + the starting bonuses of 5 gives me ten troops, that way, I can take supply ship 3, assault ship 3 and blues ship 3 with 6 neutrals. This allows me into blues camp. Depending on what I do with the other troops I have, I should be able to reinforce anything between 2 and 4 troops to ship 3. This gives red a huge advantage as he is inside blues defences at the end of round 1.

i've pmed sully for clarification. let's see what he says about the coding.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:31 pm

DiM wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Not sure what coding the territs to start with 5 will do in a manual game. Has it been done on another map? Better ask a mod.

i've pmed sully for clarification. let's see what he says about the coding.

It seems to me if they are coded as starting positions with a specified amount (start="5"), then those troops are not given to someone in a Manual game. So in this case, no troops would be given to deploy in a Manual game.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Yes, in a manual game if there are no troops to distribute manually, the first round will just say "you have no troops to deploy", effectively it will play out the same as an automatic game.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:16 am

Now that the manual is sorted, my original problem of red getting into blues camp with a lot of troops seems to give red an advantage. Both sides only have 10 neutrals to get through to get to the WC but red also has the 5 troops on 2 camps while blue has 5 on the castle only. Might be nice to have one of blues quarters on ship 3 to act as a deterrent.

Blues legend, can it read the assassin guild can one way attack the enemy camps (not tents). Tents might cause confusion as you call them camps on the map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm

On a semi-related note, will this solution work for the manual issue in Conquership too?
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:On a semi-related note, will this solution work for the manual issue in Conquership too?

It should. That I believe is a Sully or natty question.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Um, I'm not up to date with the specifics. What exactly is the manual issue in conquership?

Postby Gillipig on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Not sure I like the terrain, it looks a little sketchy! I think you definitely need to touch it up a bit!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Gillipig wrote:Not sure I like the terrain, it looks a little sketchy! I think you definitely need to touch it up a bit!

i think you don't know what a sketch is. :roll:
Major DiM

Postby BadgerJelly on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:00 am

Gillipig wrote:Not sure I like the terrain, it looks a little sketchy! I think you definitely need to touch it up a bit!

This is easily the best looking map on the site so this is BS.
Private BadgerJelly

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm

For the besieged, you state that all city regions connect to each other. That means I can attack Dock 1 from the Castle right? If so, I don't think you need all the attack arrows within the city.

Other than that, it looks like the bonuses are good, things look pretty much balanced. That said, I'll get Ian to look this over.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:15 pm

DiM wrote:

No need to get defensive DiM ;)! The terrain in this map is not as good as your other maps. You can do better than this! Sure it's not a sketch which is why I said "sketchy" but it doesn't look good enough compared to what I expected. That's the point I was trying to make.

BadgerJelly wrote:his is easily the best looking map on the site so this is BS.

Something you've concluded after carefully examining them all I assume :)!?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:29 pm

isaiah40 wrote:For the besieged, you state that all city regions connect to each other. That means I can attack Dock 1 from the Castle right? If so, I don't think you need all the attack arrows within the city.

Other than that, it looks like the bonuses are good, things look pretty much balanced. That said, I'll get Ian to look this over.

yeah, sorry that line of text with "all city regions..." was supposed to be deleted when i added the connections inside the city :)

so the connections in the city are the ones that have to be taken into account.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 am

Gillipig wrote:
DiM wrote:

No need to get defensive DiM ;)! The terrain in this map is not as good as your other maps. You can do better than this! Sure it's not a sketch which is why I said "sketchy" but it doesn't look good enough compared to what I expected. That's the point I was trying to make.

it's not about being defensive. it's just that sketchy is completely opposite of what this is. you could have said something like "this doesn't seem to be as detailed as your other maps" or "you should try and add more landscape features".

anyway, the map is detailed enough and it also has plenty of landscape features for an area this size. in fact it might even have too man.
it's rather unrealistic to have in such a small area a lake, some hills, a river, a gulf, cliffs, sea, beach and forests.
i could have easily made sea on one side and plain on the other and it would still have been very realistic.
if i start adding mountains volcanoes, marshes and swamps and who knows what else it will look bad.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:20 am

BadgerJelly wrote:

This is easily the best looking map on the site so this is BS.

thanks.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:22 am

V11:
*removed the "all city terits connect..." from the legend
*changed tents to camps in the legend
*connected dock 3 to quarter 2 instead of church to prevent a rush to the castle
*connected church to quarter 2.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

Re: Clash of Kings [25.Feb.12] - 1v1 map - V11 - p1&10

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:43 am

Balloon is still misspelled in the legend ;)

Another thing, the ships look slightly blurry for some reason... Is there any way to make them more crisp, like the artilleries and towers are?

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:51 am

natty dread wrote:Balloon is still misspelled in the legend ;)

i keep forgetting that.

natty dread wrote:Another thing, the ships look slightly blurry for some reason... Is there any way to make them more crisp, like the artilleries and towers are?

it's the mist of the ocean not blurriness :)

i'll fix them.

edit// fixed in the previous image.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 am

Yeah, they look better now.

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Very cool looking map. One suggestion I have is to consider adding some sort of indicator to the legends at the top, which groups components together in bullets, since that is essentially what they are.

Not unlike what natty dread did in his (smaller / more limited) Eurasia map legend perhaps: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=159163&start=675#p3615230

Keep up the good work.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box