Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map

Postby JJ41375 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Love the map and looking forward to playing on it. Like mentioned a couple times, I really like the fact that there is some historical and cultural reference on it so it is not just another “region” map.

One suggestion would be to label the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico, even though it should be obvious to anybody who can see the boats and knows the area a little. Some people may not know. Just a thought.

Also, I know you wanted a suggestion for an objective. What about holding all 3 major colleges/universities? They seem spaced out enough.

Good luck.

JJ
Major JJ41375
SoC Training Adviser

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Good suggestions, JJ. The River and Gulf should definitely be labeled.

I'll listen for some more suggestions as per the objective win. I like the Jones County idea, and I like yours as well. Since Mississippi is typically 47th, 48th, 49th, or, (usually) 50th in education among the 50 states, holding all universities would be hilarious as an objective win. "Get really educated = you win." Perhaps also with the capitol in order to represent government grants to go to college since Mississippi is also (usually) one of the worst in poverty.

:D

I laugh at my self in this, guys, so please don't take offense.

I was told the Map could be moved to the drafting stage but it can't be submitted hand-drawn. I really need some help here.

ANYONE READING THIS who can use GIMP or something, please help me out. I don't know how to use this stuff.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby M.K.C88-90 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 pm

great map, i like maps with this sort of depth and across map attacks, bombing and auto deploys, I dont know the area but i do like the look of the map so far and atm it is pretty easy to understand it
Cook M.K.C88-90

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am

Any chance I can get someone who knows photo shop or GIMP to start working on this map so we can get it into the draft stage? That's the only thing holding it up as far as I can tell.

Any one willing to help?
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby pretender77 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm

i have gimp...
Captain pretender77

Postby ckyrias on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 am

awesome Vic! love the graphics! maybe you could use more landmarks?

Sergeant ckyrias

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm not going to do anything else with the map since it'd be a waste of my time without a graphic-artist to help. There's no one that has volunteered to do GIMP or such on it, and it can't move to the next stage without that.

Thanks for the support, though.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=162571&start=15#p3555956

Or you could learn to use GIMP yourself. I've written a few tutorials that might help you get started with GIMP.

viewtopic.php?f=649&t=140723
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby lowbrow909 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Viccy Baby, love what you've done with the place...

Looks good. Since your cultural divisions mimic the geology so much perhaps using this map as an assist would be nice.

http://0.tqn.com/d/geology/1/0/S/Z/1/MSgeomap.jpg

All the best on this project.
Major lowbrow909

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:21 pm

VicFontaine wrote:I'm not going to do anything else with the map since it'd be a waste of my time without a graphic-artist to help.

Too bad. I was sort of curious to what you create.
Private RjBeals

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 pm

RjBeals wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:I'm not going to do anything else with the map since it'd be a waste of my time without a graphic-artist to help.

Too bad. I was sort of curious to what you create.

I did find a CC player proficient with photoshop. He and I are working on the map currently.

Never fear—something is in the works!
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Cool....hey guys, we definitely need some XML help.

We're about ready to post the re-done graphics and, I'm certain, at that point, the map will be moved out of the Melting Pot to the draft stage (that's how it works, right Natty Dread or the nobodies or whomever)?

Any takers on helping with the XML? The map is (roughly) the same as that hand-drawn, but computer-done now on photoshop. Again, will be posted very soon.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Don't worry about xml at this point. Seriously, just forget it until you've at least got the gameplay stamp.

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:56 pm

natty dread wrote:Don't worry about xml at this point. Seriously, just forget it until you've at least got the gameplay stamp.

I know, I know. But I'm starting now because it took weeks just to find a designer. I'm assuming it will take weeks for XML guys, too, so I'm asking now for guys to review the previously posted design and start giving it thought.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:09 pm

You have plenty of time before you need to worry about xml. And no, it's no problem at all to find someone to do it, when you have a ready map image that has at least a couple of stamps to it.

Seriously. Just forget the xml for now.

Postby william tennant on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Vic-

I think this is really cool, good concept, and a lot of flavor. The US South isn't really represented on CC and I think this is a great, individual idea. I'd play it. Good luck with it.
Major william tennant

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:25 pm

I like your style - draw by hand. it is very nice, hope you will mantain it also with Photoshop.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

dang vic, i love this map. it helps too that i'm from mississippi. a great state too i might add. although i deserted it when i turned 18, i know i'll be back one day to die there. and nice touch on all the histories.

do you have an image shack account?
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby macbone on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Very nice, Vic! Keep up the good work, man!
Colonel macbone

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:dang vic, i love this map. it helps too that i'm from mississippi. a great state too i might add. although i deserted it when i turned 18, i know i'll be back one day to die there. and nice touch on all the histories.

I do have an IS account. I think it's VicFontaine, still. Or Vicfontaine80 or something like that.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:46 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
WILLIAMS5232 wrote:dang vic, i love this map. it helps too that i'm from mississippi. a great state too i might add. although i deserted it when i turned 18, i know i'll be back one day to die there. and nice touch on all the histories.

I do have an IS account. I think it's VicFontaine, still. Or Vicfontaine80 or something like that.

well load your image to there and you can put it in the OP like normal. it'd be so much easier to read.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 pm

All you guys who have expressed interest in this map:

The "Design Team" is so close to being done with it—it looks fantastic. We are within weeks or days (if we roll dem sixes) of posting the image and asking it to be moved to the "Draft" stage.

Can't wait to share what we've been working on and getting feedback, defending gameplay, making slight alterations as per your instructions. We're doing a "rush" job just to get it up, so the graphics aren't finalized or perfect, but we're laying the groundwork as best we can to ensure no major changes would be necessary to play as is. Major changes COULD be made, but they wouldn't be necessary.

KEEP WATCHING GUYS!
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:55 am

VicFontaine wrote:The "Design Team" is so close to being done with it—it looks fantastic.

i don't want to be a party pooper but is this map really happening? i have no major interest in mississippi but i do have one on your start trek map. what i'm worried about is that on each map it's the same story. months after months you keep saying you're working and working and yet you don't have even a crude draft. nothing.
you're getting the hopes up for many people and you're building hype with words like "it looks fantastic" and yet nobody has seen anything in months.

if you say you're working on it just show us your work regardless of what stage it is.
there's nothing to lose if you do this. you have only advantages by posting here. if your draft looks bad or if it has flaws then people will promptly tell you what to change and how to change. there's no point in working for months on an image only to post it and get trashed as soon as you do and waste all that work.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 am

DiM wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:The "Design Team" is so close to being done with it—it looks fantastic.

i don't want to be a party pooper but is this map really happening? i have no major interest in mississippi but i do have one on your start trek map. what i'm worried about is that on each map it's the same story. months after months you keep saying you're working and working and yet you don't have even a crude draft. nothing.
you're getting the hopes up for many people and you're building hype with words like "it looks fantastic" and yet nobody has seen anything in months.

if you say you're working on it just show us your work regardless of what stage it is.
there's nothing to lose if you do this. you have only advantages by posting here. if your draft looks bad or if it has flaws then people will promptly tell you what to change and how to change. there's no point in working for months on an image only to post it and get trashed as soon as you do and waste all that work.

I quit with the Star Trek map because I was told, while working on this map, that hand-drawn submissions were a waste of my time. I don't know graphic design on computers.

This one's coming. I'm not going to post it until we've gotten the graphics done. This isn't an issue of "tweaking" per se, but in making sure all the graphics needed for it to be a complete map are there.

As for "each map"...there's only been two prior. One was Hiroshima, which is (still) a great map. Unfortunately, it was vetoed. The other is Trek, and until I find someone willing to use GIMP or some other program for me, since I can't do it, it's going no where. If you want to start the process, DIM, that's great. Send me a PM in my inbox and we can get to work on it. I can send you, today, my hand-drawn rough drafts and you can get started.

If anyone wants to see the MS Mag map AS IT CURRENTLY STANDS IN DEVELOPMENT, go here:

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/vicfontaine1/?action=view&current=Draft.jpg

I'm not posting that image on the first posting of this thread, however, because we don't have all the necessary elements of the map even on the board yet, as I mentioned previously. Anywhere from 40-100 emails are sent each week between me (acting as Art Director, I guess) and the Designer. He's doing everything he can, as fast as he can, and is doing a fantastic job. Please be patient folks. The map will be worth it for its gameplay alone, much less its graphics.
Last edited by VicFontaine on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

DiM wrote:if you say you're working on it just show us your work regardless of what stage it is.
there's nothing to lose if you do this. you have only advantages by posting here.

This. Is entirely correct, is what I'm saying.

As a first time mapmaker, it's best to post whatever you have as soon as you have a working draft. You're not going to get your map completed in 1, 2, 5 or 10 versions. Feedback is critical to success, for new and old mapmakers alike, and if you never post your map image you won't get feedback.

Furthermore, the longer your thread is without updates, the less interest people will have in it - you need to keep posting updates to keep people interested in your map project.

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box