Conquer Club

Conquer Cup II

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup II

Postby ODWO on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:55 am

Is it the norm for players to miss their 1st turns in a paid tournament? Conquer Cup II. (just) Seems kind of like deadbeating. 10554460
There's 1 already and a possible 2nd about to happen(?). (and I played first)
Should I miss my 2nd turn to even things out?
Maybe it's just me. :?
Major ODWO

Postby chapcrap on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:00 am

I've had a player miss turns too.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Night Strike on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:44 pm

It's probably because people pre-registered for the tournament but then left the site. And then they must have decided not to return when they received the email that the game had started.
Major Night Strike

Postby ODWO on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 pm

ODWO wrote:Is it the norm for players to miss their 1st turns in a paid tournament? Conquer Cup II. (just) Seems kind of like deadbeating. 10554460

Yep. Now 2 or 3 people have missed turns .. myself being the 1st one to play. Game 10554460
So now they get deferred troops, and firepower if/when they do decide to jump back in?
If they miss a 2nd turn, then it's 6 deferred? Ha! I could've played in a public game to see this happen.
Is this "Fair Play" for a "Paid Tournament?"
Major ODWO

Postby everywhere116 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm

ODWO wrote:
ODWO wrote:Is it the norm for players to miss their 1st turns in a paid tournament? Conquer Cup II. (just) Seems kind of like deadbeating. 10554460

Yep. Now 2 or 3 people have missed turns .. myself being the 1st one to play. Game 10554460
So now they get deferred troops, and firepower if/when they do decide to jump back in?
If they miss a 2nd turn, then it's 6 deferred? Ha! I could've played in a public game to see this happen.
Is this "Fair Play" for a "Paid Tournament?"

Or, you can weaken them if you think they'll come back, or ignore then if you think they won't.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby noddaclue on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 am

This is my first conquer cup game ever. It is NOT a speed game. I'm confused, hence my name. :P I've two questions . Are you allowed to skip turns in order to "pile up" troops for disbursement ? Also are treaties allowed in conquer cup tournaments?
Cadet noddaclue

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm

noddaclue wrote:This is my first conquer cup game ever. It is NOT a speed game.
You are correct, the Conquer Cup is not a speed tournament. From time to time, community-run tournaments may be speed tournaments, but the Conquer Cup for the foreseeable future won't be!

I'm confused, hence my name. :P I've two questions . Are you allowed to skip turns in order to "pile up" troops for disbursement ?
While missing turns isn't against the rule, you may put yourself at a disadvantage by not taking your turns, and you may also receive poor ratings from your opponents.

Also are treaties allowed in conquer cup tournaments?
Diplomacy is allowed, as long as it occurs in game chat and not via any other communication channels. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby noddaclue on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 am

Thank you very much
Cadet noddaclue

Postby Rockerseatrocks on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Anyone know what is going on with the round 2 games? I can't see the map and there is a 5th nonexistent player.
Lieutenant Rockerseatrocks

Postby Gilligan on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Rockerseatrocks wrote:Anyone know what is going on with the round 2 games? I can't see the map and there is a 5th nonexistent player.

lack has been notified.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Rockerseatrocks on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Rockerseatrocks wrote:Anyone know what is going on with the round 2 games? I can't see the map and there is a 5th nonexistent player.

lack has been notified.

Thanks!
Lieutenant Rockerseatrocks

Postby lackattack on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Fixed.

(and thanks for the heads up, Gilligan!)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby nietzsche on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:05 am

Hey lack, want me to give you 5 dls?

mmm No.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 am

Looks like the Conquer Cup II is trucking along...a couple of speed demon players are already making their way into Round 4!

Hm, I wonder if the next champion will be under the rank of Lieutenant, or over it...or will it be another like jleaux? :D

--Andy

Postby denominator on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:57 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Looks like the Conquer Cup II is trucking along...a couple of speed demon players are already making their way into Round 4!

Hm, I wonder if the next champion will be under the rank of Lieutenant, or over it...or will it be another like jleaux? :D

--Andy

If jleaux's rank changes, does it update on the Conquer Cup page? Or does that record that he won it as Lieutenant and never change?
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 pm

denominator wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Looks like the Conquer Cup II is trucking along...a couple of speed demon players are already making their way into Round 4!

--Andy

If jleaux's rank changes, does it update on the Conquer Cup page? Or does that record that he won it as Lieutenant and never change?

I believe the links to his ratings and rank are just like any links in-game from the participant list---I.E. they aren't static, but linked to the latest data.

--Andy

Postby QoH on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Wow. I'm never playing in one of these again. The quality of these players is just incredible... incredibly terrible. Both games I was in (lost the first game)progressed further than 5 rounds before someone cashed because no one carded and left spots. The current game has progressed to round 8 and I only have 4 cards, and the spoils are at 8. Completely ridiculous.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby denominator on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
denominator wrote:

--Andy

I believe the links to his ratings and rank are just like any links in-game from the participant list---I.E. they aren't static, but linked to the latest data.

--Andy

That's too bad. I think it would be cool if it recorded the rank of the player when they won the Cup.

QoH wrote:Wow. I'm never playing in one of these again. The quality of these players is just incredible... incredibly terrible. Both games I was in (lost the first game)progressed further than 5 rounds before someone cashed because no one carded and left spots. The current game has progressed to round 8 and I only have 4 cards, and the spoils are at 8. Completely ridiculous.

You lost your first game and are complaining that your opponent's strategy was flawed? It seems to me that your strategy is probably the one lacking since you lost. It never ceases to amaze me when high rankers lose a game and they complain that the reason they lost was because their opponent did something unexpected.

Postby QoH on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm

When it was impossible to get a card unless I wanted to attack stacks of 3? Yeah. My strategy might not be the best in multi-player games, but at least I know basic strategies.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am

QoH wrote:When it was impossible to get a card unless I wanted to attack stacks of 3? Yeah. My strategy might not be the best in multi-player games, but at least I know basic strategies.

People will always feel they know how their opponents should be playing. One of the great things about real-life opponents, is that you can't predict outcomes like you can with AI often. :)

--Andy

Postby drunkmonkey on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

denominator wrote:You lost your first game and are complaining that your opponent's strategy was flawed? It seems to me that your strategy is probably the one lacking since you lost. It never ceases to amaze me when high rankers lose a game and they complain that the reason they lost was because their opponent did something unexpected.

In fairness, in games like these, it's usually that Player A loses because Player B did something unexpected that gave Player C the win.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
denominator wrote:You lost your first game and are complaining that your opponent's strategy was flawed? It seems to me that your strategy is probably the one lacking since you lost. It never ceases to amaze me when high rankers lose a game and they complain that the reason they lost was because their opponent did something unexpected.

In fairness, in games like these, it's usually that Player A loses because Player B did something unexpected that gave Player C the win.

This is very true.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

Even so, if one wanted perfect predictability, one could stay offline and play single-player games against the AI.

The reason we come to online games is for the variety that real people bring to the table. Sometimes they do really smart things, and sometimes they do really stupid things. All part-and-parcel of being real people and not AI.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby denominator on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 pm

What happens if someone breaks the account sitting rule?

I was away for the long weekend, and my sitter played a turn in Game 10554484 for me. Should I report myself in C&A :lol: or what should I do in this case?

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 pm

denominator wrote:What happens if someone breaks the account sitting rule?

I was away for the long weekend, and my sitter played a turn in Game 10554484 for me. Should I report myself in C&A :lol: or what should I do in this case?

We understand that mistakes can be made and account sitters can inadvertently take turns for Conquer Cup games. As long as it doesn't not become a habit for multiple Conquer Cup Games or multiple Conquer Cups, no penalties will be suffered (and I don't imagine many people, if any at all, will suffer any penalties). But if we receive reports that it ever does become a habit, further disciplinary action may be taken!

--Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives