Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

Even if the map doesn't even have all the gameplay elements? In other words: if only 80% of the gameplay elementsā€”not talking about graphics hereā€”are there, I should post it anyway? Okie dokie.

Lemme see how I can remember to do that here...eh....uh...
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

VicFontaine wrote:Even if the map doesn't even have all the gameplay elements? In other words: if only 80% of the gameplay elementsā€”not talking about graphics hereā€”are there, I should post it anyway? Okie dokie.

Lemme see how I can remember to do that here...eh....uh...

i've posted anywhere from hand drawn horrible looking drafts with no names or bonuses to almost 99% done maps. either time i received feedback and this is what counts.
no matter what stage you're in, feedback will help you improve the map.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am

POSTED THE UPDATED IMAGE!

PLEASE SEE THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD ON PAGE 1, then return for comments.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Oneyed on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am

VicFontaine wrote:POSTED THE UPDATED IMAGE!

PLEASE SEE THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD ON PAGE 1, then return for comments.

I like it, it loose hand draw look, but I like it.

what more can I say? everything what must be done you have in your first post... ;)

VicFontaine wrote:WHAT STILL MUST BE DONE:
1) Some fonts are hard to read.
2) Some cultural treasures' images are not on the map next to their names, which are on the map.
3) Some cities are in the wrong place.
4) There is no legend/explanation of gameplay, nor are the connecting dotted lines showing attack paths that are needed in some areas (e.g., Steamboats, cities connecting to their universities)
5) The universities are not on the map, though Ole Miss is represented by a Cap (which will change)
6) There is one missing highway around the Oxford/Ole Miss area. It's absence joins two named territories that need to be divided (highways are all the black lines that act as territory dividers. Interstates are obvious and not the same as highways.)
7) Some of the coloring is still a tad off.
8) I'd still like one more Cultural Treasure, "Hunting," on the map. It has neither name nor image at present.
9) The possibility of an objective win: I like this. Don't know what it would be, but perhaps holding the Universities or all the Cultural treasures, plus the Capitol of Jackson.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Ok, not bad.

But you can (and should) post the image in both ends of the thread, that way people who're following the thread won't have to scroll all the way back to page 1...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 am

the font under the steamboats are hard to read. and being a red/green color blind person i can say the ones on the coast are near impossible to do so. it would help to change the color on those, and maybe make the flared edges a bit bigger on all of them.

edit; also it looks as though Florida is gone. not sure if that's intentional but Mississippians and Floridians are pretty good friends. you may want to include them as well. :lol:

what is black r. ?
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 am

Winona is also a really uncomfortable shape for a territory... I think you should make it slightly larger so it's at least clearer what it borders.

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:27 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:the font under the steamboats are hard to read. and being a red/green color blind person i can say the ones on the coast are near impossible to do so. it would help to change the color on those, and maybe make the flared edges a bit bigger on all of them.

edit; also it looks as though Florida is gone. not sure if that's intentional but Mississippians and Floridians are pretty good friends. you may want to include them as well. :lol:

what is black r. ?

This is one reason I didn't want to post anything yet. The rules of the Foundry stipulate that I have to respond to everything. Williams is 100% right on everything except the Florida comment. Dem Floridians is just fake-southerners lol

But seriously: the day I posted that image, we already were addressing, via Skype, all the issues he raised. We're adding "textures" for the colorblind, and we're making gameplay better on terts like "Winona" so it is, yes, more playable.

"Black R.," and all terts labeled with a "R.," next to it, are RIVER terts. Because Mississippi has great rivers and great counties, I blended both for naming purposes. Some terts, like my own County of "Rankin," are, more-or-less relative to that counties' location in reality. Same with the rivers. "Black R.," is "Black River" rather than a county name. That is, the actual waterway "Black River" flows through that general location in Mississippi.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm

natty dread wrote:Winona is also a really uncomfortable shape for a territory... I think you should make it slightly larger so it's at least clearer what it borders.

Answered in my immediately preceding comment about Williams' great suggestions. We've already corrected it. It is still elongated (perhaps your "uncomfortable shape" but we have made it clearer where it is and what it borders.

Thanks, ND! We noticed this problem, too. Glad to see that problems, so far, are noticeable by all. Makes things easier.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:30 pm

VicFontaine wrote:"Black R.," and all terts labeled with a "R.," next to it, are RIVER terts. Because Mississippi has great rivers and great counties, I blended both for naming purposes. Some terts, like my own County of "Rankin," are, more-or-less relative to that counties' location in reality. Same with the rivers. "Black R.," is "Black River" rather than a county name. That is, the actual waterway "Black River" flows through that general location in Mississippi.

oh, i was assuming you were talking about "black creek" and was going to be a stickler and suggest you make it that. after further research though, i've learned there is actually a "black river" in ms as well. :oops:
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:30 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:"Black R.," and all terts labeled with a "R.," next to it, are RIVER terts. Because Mississippi has great rivers and great counties, I blended both for naming purposes. Some terts, like my own County of "Rankin," are, more-or-less relative to that counties' location in reality. Same with the rivers. "Black R.," is "Black River" rather than a county name. That is, the actual waterway "Black River" flows through that general location in Mississippi.

oh, i was assuming you were talking about "black creek" and was going to be a stickler and suggest you make it that. after further research though, i've learned there is actually a "black river" in ms as well. :oops:

You're one of the ones Haley Barbour booted from the state, no doubt. SHEESH. :)

Yes, there is a Black River.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:51 pm

UPDATE AS OF FEBRUARY 26, 2012.

STILL TO DO: (probably in order of importance):

1) Textures for the colorblind in keeping with the theme, which we're still deciding. I'm leaning towards "history," i.e., Civil War images, Indian images (that would be, depending on how "PC" you are: "First-Peoples" or "Native Americans"), etc. Will discuss with the Designer before we make that certain.
2) A few things moved around and clarified, such as the Steamboats' attack routes clarified (they go north and south both, not just south, in attack)
3) Some graphics are only there until we decide something better (again, like the Steamboats' attack routes)
4) We're considering another Cultural Treasure that has to do with the Indians, or with "hunting," the latter being listed in the legend under "Cultural Treasures" but found no where on the map.
5) Some graphics aren't there yet, but aren't necessary for gameplay.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
WILLIAMS5232 wrote:

You're one of the ones Haley Barbour booted from the state, no doubt. SHEESH. :)

easy there vic, if you want to get technical the black river runs into the mississippi at vicksburg. so for me to think that you put black river in black creeks general location is not too far off. and also since we're on topic, you may also note that the although the leaf river and the pascagula river are the same, where you have it placed would be more of the pascagula rivers location. it's just that's the areas i'm from. when i go home i still float the black and red creeks and fish in the pascagula river swamp. it's all the same vicinity. i'm from mchenry area. near wiggins. i know they have tvs and all in jackson, so i would have figured you knew that. and dang, you got biloxi set up in moss point. biloxi and gulfport actually border each other. :roll:

you must be one of the ones haley barbour kept and educated. :lol: =D>

i'm just kidding. i was educated there too. don't take it so hard :evil:
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:
WILLIAMS5232 wrote:

easy there vic, if you want to get technical the black river runs into the mississippi at vicksburg. so for me to think that you put black river in black creeks general location is not too far off. and also since we're on topic, you may also note that the although the leaf river and the pascagula river are the same, where you have it placed would be more of the pascagula rivers location. it's just that's the areas i'm from. when i go home i still float the black and red creeks and fish in the pascagula river swamp. it's all the same vicinity. i'm from mchenry area. near wiggins. i know they have tvs and all in jackson, so i would have figured you knew that. and dang, you got biloxi set up in moss point. biloxi and gulfport actually border each other. :roll:

you must be one of the ones haley barbour kept and educated. :lol: =D>

i'm just kidding. i was educated there too. don't take it so hard :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tru Dat! Naw mayun I jis gwine fer gameplaysall.

Translation: For sure, man. I've taken liberties with the landscape in a few places (Madison and Rankin counties are not at all like the map has them, but are smaller) for the sake of gameplay. As the foundry says, function beats form every time when designing a map. Had I put Biloxi and Gulfport where they really are, it'd be very hard to play the map. There are several instances of this.

Also, look at Winona. That still needs some tweaking...for gameplay's sake! Thanks SlickWilly!
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby macbone on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am

You know, for a Native America cultural treasure, you could use an Indian Mound, as in Faulkner's short story.

The Legend has a lot of text. It looks a bit cluttered there, but if I were playing the map, I'd want to know how everything worked. Could you make the information more concise?

I'm not sure which territories attack which other territories.

At first glance, it's difficult to tell which territories are the Cultural treasures (although the icons are helpful). Could you move the territory locations a bit so that they're closer to the treasures?
Colonel macbone

Postby Flapcake on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23 am

macbone wrote:You know, for a Native America cultural treasure, you could use an Indian Mound, as in Faulkner's short story.

The Legend has a lot of text. It looks a bit cluttered there, but if I were playing the map, I'd want to know how everything worked. Could you make the information more concise?

I'm not sure which territories attack which other territories.

At first glance, it's difficult to tell which territories are the Cultural treasures (although the icons are helpful). Could you move the territory locations a bit so that they're closer to the treasures?

I need to add to this: you got some 4 way borders aswell, you will have to slice them apart to tell who can atack who.

Graphics looks uber ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 am

macbone wrote:You know, for a Native America cultural treasure, you could use an Indian Mound, as in Faulkner's short story.

My thoughts exactly, but we can't find a good enough picture of an Indian Mound. It's still possible. The largest mound complex in North America were in Mississippi....

macbone wrote:The Legend has a lot of text. It looks a bit cluttered there, but if I were playing the map, I'd want to know how everything worked. Could you make the information more concise?

The grammar and presentation will be cleaned up, but since we're not trying to make a simple map (think more like Stalingrad), we won't sacrifice the diverse gameplay for simplicity. HOWEVER, we will endeavor to make it as simple, concise, and cogent as possible. Thanks, Mac!

macbone wrote:I'm not sure which territories attack which other territories.

Correct. I'll list this out for you, but we weren't trying to do that here as much, especially since the graphics can't support how the attacks work right now anyway. Gist is this:
1) All adjacent terts attack.
2) Terts are adjacent that are not separated by impassables (which include: interstates, regional bonus divisions)
3) Where impassables block access, cities provide access. So, cities that sit on an Interstate may, if you look, connect several territories (Memphis/Southhaven & Jackson are prime examples of this).
4) Other than this, all terts touch and attack one another.

macbone wrote:At first glance, it's difficult to tell which territories are the Cultural treasures (although the icons are helpful). Could you move the territory locations a bit so that they're closer to the treasures?

Definitely. We have hardly fine-tuned the placement of the army-markers.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am

Flapcake wrote:I need to add to this: you got some 4 way borders as well, you will have to slice them apart to tell who can attack whom.

I don't think this is necessary, actually. If they touch, they attack. If there are "four touching," even at the corners, they attack. Just as in reality: if you were standing at Four Corners in the US, you could attack any of the three spots upon which you do not stand.

Flapcake wrote:Graphics looks uber ;)

Thank you! We are trying very hard to make an aesthetically pleasing map that non-Mississippians will appreciate and want to play. The goal is have a blast of a game with varied, diverse, and multi-layered attack and defense structures while showcasing Mississippi. I think we're accomplishing that.

I just hope this map will soon be moved to the Draft folder where the real work may begin.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 am

VicFontaine wrote:I don't think this is necessary, actually.

Actually, it is. 4-way borders are forbidden, as they are ambiguous to players. It's just not good gameplay design.

VicFontaine wrote:Just as in reality: if you were standing at Four Corners in the US, you could attack any of the three spots upon which you do not stand.

But, CC is not reality. It's a game. In reality battles are not decided by dice either, but in CC they are. You can't think of making CC maps in real world terms, gameplay clarity needs to come first always.

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:53 am

natty dread wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:I don't think this is necessary, actually.

Actually, it is. 4-way borders are forbidden, as they are ambiguous to players. It's just not good gameplay design.

VicFontaine wrote:Just as in reality: if you were standing at Four Corners in the US, you could attack any of the three spots upon which you do not stand.

But, CC is not reality. It's a game. In reality battles are not decided by dice either, but in CC they are. You can't think of making CC maps in real world terms, gameplay clarity needs to come first always.

Gotcha. Will do.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm

You could place a small impassable in the corner so that the cornering territories won't touch. This way you wouldn't have to change the real-world borders, and you'd eliminate any problems with clarity.

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 pm

natty dread wrote:You could place a small impassable in the corner so that the cornering territories won't touch. This way you wouldn't have to change the real-world borders, and you'd eliminate any problems with clarity.

Actually, we're giving serious consideration to making all regional borders impassables and indicating the impassibility with forests/trees (logging and forestry is a big deal here anyway). It would not change the bonuses too much as I have them now, and regions would be accessed via ALL cities. There are only three regional borders affected by this; the other regions are already divided by the Interstates/Freeways (which are impassable).

So, to attack from one region to another, you'd have to go through the cities as they are adjacent to one another on the infrastructure of highway or interstate/"freeway" (for the West-Coasters out there).

Either way, we've corrected some of the four-corner "mistakes" that would be unaffected by the impassable change.

The next map update may not be posted for another couple weeks. Vacation and all.

But maybe we'll get it done sooner.

What's required now to get this to the Draft stage?
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Just to let you know now instead of later when you have a lot of work into this, This map is larger than the current allowable sizes. You can find the map sizes here under General Rules. If you want to apply for this map as a supersized one, then you will need to apply here. Please read through the information contained in the links. If you have any questions please free to pm any of the CA's.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby woopintroysbutt on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Nice Map Vic. I have lived in the South most of my life and it's nice to see a map that has the "Southern" flavor.

My eyesight is not particularly great, but I have a real hard time reading a few of the names. One that is difficult, because of color, is under the Regional Bonuses. The Yellow used for Gulf Coast +2 is very hard to read.

The other ones I have problem with are the one below Hattiesburg and the one above Starkville (Miss State). Both of them have a blueish tint and I really can't read them very well.
Captain woopintroysbutt

Postby VicFontaine on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 pm

woopintroysbutt wrote:Nice Map Vic. I have lived in the South most of my life and it's nice to see a map that has the "Southern" flavor.

My eyesight is not particularly great, but I have a real hard time reading a few of the names. One that is difficult, because of color, is under the Regional Bonuses. The Yellow used for Gulf Coast +2 is very hard to read.

The other ones I have problem with are the one below Hattiesburg and the one above Starkville (Miss State). Both of them have a blueish tint and I really can't read them very well.

Thanks, bud! We're looking into it. Map Maker on vacation for about 10 days. May be a delayed response.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box