Conquer Club

Next map going beta?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Next map going beta?

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 am

DiM wrote:when lack is going to implement a system that allows the foreman to upload the maps himself, then we'll get faster uploads and shorter waiting times.
sometimes a map is finished and waits for a whole month before it's uploaded and sometimes it takes 1 week.
and that's not the biggest problem.
the thing that annoys me the most is what happens in beta. let's say a map gets released and it has a mistake in the xml that screws over all the games. the mapmaker might actually fix that within a couple of hours from the release but it can take 2 or more weeks before lack uploads the updated file.
and in that whole time the players get frustrated, the mapmakers get frustrated and the map is hurt because for 2 weeks very few people will play it and those that do will only do it once.

Just to let you know.....It's at least 4 months that I'm asking (and waiting) such tool. :roll:

koontz1973 wrote:Problem with this is what happens when the drunken hobo becomes the foreman and uploads last month playboy for us to play on.

We (admins and myself) already find an agreement for this issue, so it's not a problem at all. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Just to let you know.....It's at least 4 months that I'm asking (and waiting) such tool. :roll:

4 months? pff. that's like yesterday in lack's terms.
he's ignoring stuff that he promised years ago so 4 months is nothing.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:12 am

DiM wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:Just to let you know.....It's at least 4 months that I'm asking (and waiting) such tool. :roll:

I know....but afterall he is a turtle! :mrgreen:

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:42 am

That's just too funny.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:55 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
DiM wrote:

I know....but afterall he is a turtle! :mrgreen:

I which a cheetah would've created this site :D!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Gillipig wrote:I which a cheetah would've created this site :D!

i which to know wish is witch. or something like that :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gillipig on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am

DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I which a cheetah would've created this site :D!

i which to know wish is witch. or something like that :lol:

:cry:
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby ViperOverLord on Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm

For posterity: Ended up being Island Of Doom.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby lackattack on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey guys,

I hear your frustrations with the slow rate progress. A tool to allow the foreman to upload graphics and xml is tricky to implement because it would have to check for a lot of things that I check for by hand (by using comparison software to show differences between old and new xmls). For example, if a change in territory order slips though, it could permanently screw up many games. This and the long overdue xml updates take programming time, which I never have enough of. I care a lot about the foundry and I understand how important the foundry is - I've just been overwhelmed.

But I have god news. I've started a Web Developer Hiring Process. Details will be made public once preparations have been finalized. But reinforcements are on their way and an era of plentiful updates for all departments awaits us...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:26 pm

lackattack wrote:Hey guys,

I hear your frustrations with the slow rate progress. A tool to allow the foreman to upload graphics and xml is tricky to implement because it would have to check for a lot of things that I check for by hand (by using comparison software to show differences between old and new xmls). For example, if a change in territory order slips though, it could permanently screw up many games. This and the long overdue xml updates take programming time, which I never have enough of. I care a lot about the foundry and I understand how important the foundry is - I've just been overwhelmed.

But I have god news. I've started a Web Developer Hiring Process. Details will be made public once preparations have been finalized. But reinforcements are on their way and an era of plentiful updates for all departments awaits us...

Wow that is very good news! I can't wait for that announcement! There are so many things that can be done to improve the site. So many things that would make it more fun and easier to use. 48 hour turn based games can keep players active even when they don't have much time. New tools for us to play with here in the foundry would really spark map making creativity. And there's a ton of other great suggestions. If there's one thing we don't run out of here it's suggestions :)! But for any of this to be implemented, we need more programming hours. So to hear this is certainly good news for anyone who wants more frequent updates!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:19 pm

lackattack wrote:I hear your frustrations with the slow rate progress. A tool to allow the foreman to upload graphics and xml is tricky to implement because it would have to check for a lot of things that I check for by hand (by using comparison software to show differences between old and new xmls). For example, if a change in territory order slips though, it could permanently screw up many games.

You couldn't just let the foreman check those things? You should trust your own staff at least that much...

lackattack wrote:But I have god news. I've started a Web Developer Hiring Process. Details will be made public once preparations have been finalized. But reinforcements are on their way and an era of plentiful updates for all departments awaits us...

Well, we've been hearing about this web developer guy for about a year now. When is he going to actually materialize?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see you posting here and I'm glad that you're at least aware of the problems. But we in the foundry have been hearing so many promises about so many things that are still "in progress" or "waiting" or "just around the corner"...

What I'm saying is, actions speak louder than words. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 pm

natty dread wrote:
lackattack wrote:I hear your frustrations with the slow rate progress. A tool to allow the foreman to upload graphics and xml is tricky to implement because it would have to check for a lot of things that I check for by hand (by using comparison software to show differences between old and new xmls). For example, if a change in territory order slips though, it could permanently screw up many games.

You couldn't just let the foreman check those things? You should trust your own staff at least that much...

Lack does trust all his Volunteers and staff, but mistakes can be made. Right now, Nobodies and the other C.A.s perform checks, and then Lack independently runs his own to make sure everything is in working order. It ensures that your games won't be messed up. Eventually he would like to implement a tool that can do all the additional checks he does.

lackattack wrote:But I have god news. I've started a Web Developer Hiring Process. Details will be made public once preparations have been finalized. But reinforcements are on their way and an era of plentiful updates for all departments awaits us...

Well, we've been hearing about this web developer guy for about a year now. When is he going to actually materialize?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see you posting here and I'm glad that you're at least aware of the problems. But we in the foundry have been hearing so many promises about so many things that are still "in progress" or "waiting" or "just around the corner"...

What I'm saying is, actions speak louder than words. ;)[/quote]

We hear you (the collective). We'll have more news.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:58 pm

AndyDufresne wrote: Eventually he would like to implement a tool that can do all the additional checks he does.

they've cloned sheep, i'm pretty sure they could clone a turtle too.

i know you used to have a doll made from lack's hair. you could use a few of those hairs to get some dna :lol:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It ensures that your games won't be messed up.

Is this really that important? There's already a warning on beta games, and people know what they get into when they join/start games on beta maps. I'm not convinced that potential mistakes are a deal-breaker here, I'm sure they wouldn't be all that common anyway...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:12 pm

natty dread wrote:

I thought the whole point of the foundry team was to check the maps and xml etc. The only time the territory order has got out of sync was with the British Isles revamp. Since realising it was important, it's been made sure that territory order remains unchanged for altered xmls. It would be a lot more efficient to give the foundry team the tools to do their job properly so that any errors don't require the neverending wait before being repaired.

I'll believe that when I see it. We've been waiting since you first announced that (Coming Soon... Web Developer) back on April 26th 2010. Two years is a long time to wait - especially in the age of the internet.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 am

natty dread wrote: lackattack wrote:I hear your frustrations with the slow rate progress. A tool to allow the foreman to upload graphics and xml is tricky to implement because it would have to check for a lot of things that I check for by hand (by using comparison software to show differences between old and new xmls). For example, if a change in territory order slips though, it could permanently screw up many games.

MrBenn wrote:It would be a lot more efficient to give the foundry team the tools to do their job properly so that any errors don't require the neverending wait before being repaired.

To be honest I agree with MrBenn. I prefer to have the tool. After a personal issue with the Asia Touch Up xml, now I use a software to compare xml files before to send updates.
But compare files and check everything requires lot of time....and in the end you're never 100% sure
Right now, if I have to put all that time to check a thing that could be checked in 5 seconds clicking just a button, I would have less time to spend on other things I do on this site, that for a reason or another I have to do.
Do that check manually in a regular way would mean spend less time with my real life things and sorry but I don't want to do that for a "hobby"....without considering the responsability.
Afterall we're talking about a site who provide money, this is a business. What would happen to me if I check a file and it goes online with a mistake?

I mean, I like what I do, natty you know I really love the foundry and volunteeering on this site in the best way I can....but you are wrong about a thing: I'm not staff.

The staff are only the admins, those who are paid to do their job and take the responsabilities of what they do.
As volunteer I won't go with a manual check that put me in a responsability position without being paid /hired by the site...I'm not stupid!
Nowdays, for free, I'm ok in just giving to Lack my word (also in a written way) about using this "upload" tool in a proper way, but anything else!
So for now I prefer to wait and pass the responsability to an automated system.....on the contrary feel free to tell to Lack to hire me. :mrgreen:

Nobodies

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions