Conquer Club

Cuban Missile Crisis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Cuban Missile Crisis [21 Jan 2012] (Final GFX)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Jippd wrote:Jamaica still does not contain a neutral. Was this supposed to be in the update?

Just started this dubs game Game 10662714...thankfully I dropped jamaica bonus and not the other team.

Apologies, perhaps my use of the term, "updated", was misleading. I meant the most recent XML I posted, not the most recent XML uploaded.

Jippd wrote:Also for the missle bonus "+2 for any three +5 for any six" Do they have to be the same image three or can you mix and match to achieve this three?

You can mix and match.

Mikey-T wrote:Great map! It looks awesome, one minor note though, on the legend under Bay of Pigs Invasion Authorization it says 'hold this operation and 2 Cuban missile bases for +3; 5 bases for +7' but there's only 4 Cuban missile bases

Should this say 4 bases or does it mean 5 bases of any kind?

No. By "Cuban missile bases", it means the bases on the island of Cuba, which includes all 4 Soviet missile bases and GuantƔnamo Bay.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Any word from Ace? It doesn't make sense to upload the xml without the images.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Jippd on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:41 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Any word from Ace? It doesn't make sense to upload the xml without the images.

Ace Rimmer wrote:FYI for anyone who doesn't profile stalk me (for shame), I'm retired from CC. I'm trying to finish this up but I don't log in regularly. Sully has been amazing keeping this map going with his XML work (and he's amazing in bed too, ladies!)

He quit...see page before this, he makes a post himself too.

So what is the process for rescuing a map in beta when someone gives up mid way through?
Major Jippd

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:28 am

I know AceRimmer is quitting. But I know he is willing to complete the map before to quit 100% (Hey,I'm Joe! :mrgreen: )
I posted here because maybe VS can give me more news about him.

If things go wrong I have my ways to contact him and find a solution to fix the map. ;)

Nobodies

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:55 pm

I haven't heard anything from Ace. Of course, it never occurred to me to PM him, ha. I can do that now.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Pm reply to joe and sully is coming.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:XML with coordinates fixed, neutral 3 on Montego Bay, HQs lowered to neutral 2 and operations reduced to neutral 3:

CubanMissileCrisis7b.xml

-Sully

The above file and a fixed version of the map have been uploaded! :)

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am

Ty Joe <3
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:14 pm

I mentioned this in Live Chat to Ace Rimmer. I don't recall the items in the upper right legend coming much into play during the one game I played. But it could be more of an anomalous game than representative, but thought I would mention it. Most of our battles tended to be more on the gameboard proper.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Jippd on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:07 pm

I agree in team games and 1 v 1 they don't come into play that much. However I haven't played it singles 4-8 players. They might be used then? especially with FOW? Mostly right now it seems to be about fighting for ships/Jamaica/Haiti
Major Jippd

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:08 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I mentioned this in Live Chat to Ace Rimmer. I don't recall the items in the upper right legend coming much into play during the one game I played. But it could be more of an anomalous game than representative, but thought I would mention it. Most of our battles tended to be more on the gameboard proper.

--Andy

Right, which is why I provided an XML with lower neutrals in that area (which nobodies had lack upload, it seems). Hopefully that will at least help. I'm thinking reducing the auto-decay on the HQs may help, too.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 am

Legend should read "all of mainland Cuba apart from Guantanamo Bay. I wasn't clear on whether it bombarded MQ or not. I was going to use the Legend area, to get to the Missile Launch in an Assassin game, but BOB told me that missiles don't launch into MQ, so I would've had to go the long way round.

Great Strategy in Assassin games: take some MQ, so you can't be bombarded to death.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby VicFontaine on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I mentioned this in Live Chat to Ace Rimmer. I don't recall the items in the upper right legend coming much into play during the one game I played. But it could be more of an anomalous game than representative, but thought I would mention it. Most of our battles tended to be more on the gameboard proper.

--Andy

Right, which is why I provided an XML with lower neutrals in that area (which nobodies had lack upload, it seems). Hopefully that will at least help. I'm thinking reducing the auto-decay on the HQs may help, too.

-Sully

Actually, in larger games of 5 or more people, having lower neutrals would make it too easy for someone to jump to a quick lead. That's been my XP. As they stand now, a player really has to "risk" it to go for them, making it fun. The -5 is helpful here because a player, at least until well established, has to think critically about how many men he needs to go for a bonus through the neutrals in that region. He can't leave men behind, so he better make sure he takes enough with him, etc.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:50 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

--Andy

-Sully

Actually, in larger games of 5 or more people, having lower neutrals would make it too easy for someone to jump to a quick lead. That's been my XP. As they stand now, a player really has to "risk" it to go for them, making it fun. The -5 is helpful here because a player, at least until well established, has to think critically about how many men he needs to go for a bonus through the neutrals in that region. He can't leave men behind, so he better make sure he takes enough with him, etc.

If you think so, I'm fine with leaving it.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby amax on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

--Andy

-Sully

If you think so, I'm fine with leaving it.

-Sully

I just played it for the first time and thought it was Great. Note sure the other players figured out exactly How to get there or what They did, the one player I thought would catch on and go for it held Washington for a lot of the game but never attempted to take the HQ :-$ I can't complain about it because I used it Greatly to my advantage and Won the Game :-$ . The Nuke Buttons were a Game Changer :twisted:
I definitely wouldn't reduce the number of n players that area should definitely be a challenge to breach and hold.

2 Thumbs Up,, I Loved It 8-)
Private 1st Class amax

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri May 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Month and a half with no comments, longer than that with no changes. Any reason to keep this in beta longer? I've got an open trips game on it (see Callouts) if anyone wants to take on the mapmaker on his second game on the map.
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby trinicardinal on Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Month and a half with no comments, longer than that with no changes. Any reason to keep this in beta longer? I've got an open trips game on it (see Callouts) if anyone wants to take on the mapmaker on his second gave game on the map.
(Fixed) :mrgreen:
10:16:35 ā€¹Ace Rimmerā€ŗ haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ā€¹Sackett58ā€ŗ fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Cuban Missile Crisis Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations Ace Rimmer and Victor Sullivan, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Cuban Missile Crisis [Quenched]

Postby nolefan5311 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Congrats Ace Rimmer!
Captain nolefan5311

Postby Ace Rimmer on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped ou with this one!
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby VicFontaine on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 pm

This is, easily, "won" of my favorite maps. Very appreciative of your time and effort. I wish I had noticed this prior to the map going live, but I do wish the legend was clear that the invasion craft are not part of the ship bonuses of "hold any 3 of same ownership and get +2" or whatever it is. In all the games I've played on this map, I never noticed they weren't until I took the invasion craft on Round 2 of a game I'm in now in an effort to get that bonus. DUH! lol
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Well done, Ace!

-Deuce
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby agentcom on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 pm

You have that you get +1 for "every 3 ship's of the same ownership." You then have that a flag "Denotes ship's ownership." From this alone, it would be logical that every flag denotes the ownership of a "ship." However, I had to go into the XML to discover that Landing Craft apparently do not count as "ships." I don't see this clarified anywhere on the map.

I would suggest, either don't use the flags on the landing craft or put in the key that landing craft don't count as ships (even though it looks like subs, carriers, cruisers and destroyers all count as ships).

... or, of course, count landing craft as part of the bonus.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:55 pm

agentcom wrote:You have that you get +1 for "every 3 ship's of the same ownership." You then have that a flag "Denotes ship's ownership." From this alone, it would be logical that every flag denotes the ownership of a "ship." However, I had to go into the XML to discover that Landing Craft apparently do not count as "ships." I don't see this clarified anywhere on the map.

I would suggest, either don't use the flags on the landing craft or put in the key that landing craft don't count as ships (even though it looks like subs, carriers, cruisers and destroyers all count as ships).

This is what I was saying above, too.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:06 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
agentcom wrote:You have that you get +1 for "every 3 ship's of the same ownership." You then have that a flag "Denotes ship's ownership." From this alone, it would be logical that every flag denotes the ownership of a "ship." However, I had to go into the XML to discover that Landing Craft apparently do not count as "ships." I don't see this clarified anywhere on the map.

This is what I was saying above, too.

Hm, agentcom makes a good point.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas