Conquer Club

SOS Africa Charity Drive, Kelebogile Updates!

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: SOS Africa Charity Drive, plus NEW Reward Map

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 am

Many thanks to the 20 or so people that have donated so far! It's great to see that after only 48 hours or so of being live, that we are nearly half-way there to our goal. Keep the donations coming!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby pissedoffsol on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

natty dread wrote:
pissedoffsol wrote:meanwhile, millions of people are still homeless in the uk, usa, and elsewhere too, but somehow we don't feel bad for them and insist on sending money over-seas.....

Genaraln7 wrote:Do we need to pay to clean up there mess?

Wow, you two really are prime samples of decent human beings.

Who you should be directing your anger at is that child's parents, who knowingly could not afford to feed it, but still decided to have sex and blow internally, fully knowing that a kid is conceived this way.

I have 0 pity for stupidity. If we just stop helping them for 1 generation, all this shit goes away on it's own. AIDS drops by 95%, and Darwin gives a nod from his resting place. Adapt, overcome, or die.

Put me in the desert, and i'm walking out of it or dieing trying. Not staying there like a putz to starve to death. Help themselves first.
13k Games and counting!
Corporal 1st Class pissedoffsol

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 pm

How's the view on top of that high horse?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby army of nobunaga on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm

i do not need this deleted nor do I need to be slammed.
I come off as a hard ass... but I donate.

My question is this, has this charity been validated by any charitable validation organization? I have seen this for weeks now and I have been tempted to donate... but as someone that gives a fair amount per year I have seen (and unfortunately been suckered into giving) a lot of start up charity orgs that turned out to be a fucking scam. A pure fucking scam.. and there are more than you guys know.

I looked briefly and saw nothing on this charity. I refuse to give money until I know it has some sort of history of regulation and transparency in transaction.

But I applaud CC in pulling its users into action, and I applaud any group giving money to Africa whose people need it perhaps the most.

But I need some sort of authenticity of intention and past.

edit: I just looked again... this appears to just be some dude that says he is a charity. Unless you can prove differently, I will continue to send my money to org.s with a history and transparency in financials... cheers.

on a side note I am sad this was never done for an established cancer org, or something like the cystic fibrosis foundation... Something established.. something proven to help people. I feel we are raising money for Lacks drinking buddy or something.... utterly unacceptable but not surprising.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 am

Ahoy Army of Nobunaga,

No worries, this is truly a legitimate question. What I can point you towards is the UK's official registry and data collection of UK based charitable organizations:

Check out this link: Charity Commission .gov.uk. Here you can look at information regarding Financial History, Compliance History, and other information such as contact information, trustees, and you can also download the latest copy of "SOS Africa Trustees Annual Report for the Financial Year 2010/11"

I've updated the first post with this information.

And AoN, if you are affiliated with another charity, or know of charity who you would like to pass along to us, just get in touch with me and we'll see what we can do!

--Andy

army of nobunaga wrote:i do not need this deleted nor do I need to be slammed.
I come off as a hard ass... but I donate.

My question is this, has this charity been validated by any charitable validation organization? I have seen this for weeks now and I have been tempted to donate... but as someone that gives a fair amount per year I have seen (and unfortunately been suckered into giving) a lot of start up charity orgs that turned out to be a fucking scam. A pure fucking scam.. and there are more than you guys know.

I looked briefly and saw nothing on this charity. I refuse to give money until I know it has some sort of history of regulation and transparency in transaction.

But I applaud CC in pulling its users into action, and I applaud any group giving money to Africa whose people need it perhaps the most.

But I need some sort of authenticity of intention and past.

edit: I just looked again... this appears to just be some dude that says he is a charity. Unless you can prove differently, I will continue to send my money to org.s with a history and transparency in financials... cheers.

on a side note I am sad this was never done for an established cancer org, or something like the cystic fibrosis foundation... Something established.. something proven to help people. I feel we are raising money for Lacks drinking buddy or something.... utterly unacceptable but not surprising.

Postby Roussallier on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

Andy, +1 internets to you for staying professional as a representative of the site and setting up this charity. Adding a reward for players shows CC put some thought into it, you didn't just code another link into our interface.

I'm sure this is a legitimate charity. 5-20 percent or so is not unreasonable to pay for the organization's expenses. Do you expect the organizers or actual relief workers to donate their time and resources just because you sent it a few pounds or dollars? 5% is really low, and yes, "Just Giving" may be for profit but this isn't about them - it's about SOS Africa.

Try wiring some money directly to the charity and see if you can send it free since it's for a good cause. Maybe FedEx will deliver it for free instead? Seriously 5% is efficient enough *gives seal of approval*

Children born into poor societies deserve our help more than the homeless in developed nations. Underpriviledged citizens of the USA or UK usually just need a little drive or a little willpower, but they choose not to work because they can survive as it is. Children in poor countries don't have a choice, sometimes no matter what effort they give they can't break out of poverty.

Good job CC and Tactician for making a difference in one girl's life. This is how the world improves. When this girl becomes a teacher, nurse, or doctor who knows how many more kids she will be able to help.
If my timer is low, please contact Violet or Stotzi
Major Roussallier

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 pm

pissedoffsol wrote:

Who you should be directing your anger at is that child's parents, who knowingly could not afford to feed it, but still decided to have sex and blow internally, fully knowing that a kid is conceived this way.

You do realize quite a few women over there do get raped by there husband, right? It's at about 40%. They really don't get a choice in the matter of sex or not.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Qwert on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 pm

well if you take one dollar from every player who join Conquer CUp II,you will have quite fast donation.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:16 am

Ahoy Everyone,

It is great to see that since our launch one week ago today, we've reached 3/4ths of our target goal, yowza! Thanks to all the contributors who have donated, and additional thanks to all those who are supporting the endeavor even if you haven't donated. I really look forward to 100% funding, and the release of the reward map!

Here's to the next 1/4th of our target goal!

Thanks once again,

--Andy & Team CC

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:25 am

Can you please take this ADVERTISEMENT off of the side of my game now? I was told I pay a subscription for this site because they don't use advertisements.

I do donate much of my own money to different causes, but I don't need CC to advertise to me which ones they think I should donate to. Especially when there is obviously hidden agendas here.

Anyone else who thinks CC gets zero gain from this being up is foolish, especially soon after we just started a regular tournament that allows you to pay to join, yet gives prizes that don't equal up to near the total value of the purse.

Make suggestions all day long in the forums, or your weekly newsletter or some where else, but quit advertising it while I play a game.

In fact, years ago, I remember Lack using the line (paraphrased) "hate having those annoying banners and popups on your screen." Well, yes, I liked this site not having those things, and I think it is time we quit charging money to play games if you are going to start having them.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby trapyoung on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:04 pm

I DEMAND SATISFACTION!
Colonel trapyoung

Postby chapcrap on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:Can you please take this ADVERTISEMENT off of the side of my game now? I was told I pay a subscription for this site because they don't use advertisements.

I don't know who told you that. There weren't ads before you paid. It's the same for freemium and premium.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby macbone on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:06 pm

CC gets zero funds from donating to a charity, Chuuuuck. It's awesome that you contribute in other ways, and there's nothing that says you have to contribute to this charity. There's no hidden agenda here. If you don't want to contribute, no big deal. We'll all still get to play on a new map, whether each of us individually donates or not.

Frankly, I don't see any problem with giving CCers the opportunity to sponsor a kid's education who would otherwise be dying of malaria or AIDS. I think it's great, and I'm happy to see CC take part in something so worthwhile. Again, if you don't like it, no big deal. The donation box will be gone once the donation drive is over.

(If only the NPR telethons were so easily dealt with.)
Colonel macbone

Postby Tactician on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi everyone, congrats for already raising 77% of your target - only another Ā£138 to secure Kelebogile's education.

I just thought I should write to clear up a few issues about the SOS Africa Charity.

I co-founded SOS Africa on my gap year to South Africa in 2003 - I saw the poverty and poor standard of education and wanted to make a difference. I wanted to do so by designing a charity with a difference - this difference is that 100% of the donations received by SOS Africa are invested in the education of the children we support - all expenses are covered by Gift Aid (tax money we claim back off the UK government). There are very few charities like this around, and we are very proud of this promise. For more information click here: http://www.sosafrica.com/sos-africa-exp ... mation.htm - you will see that the 17.7% expenses are covered by Gift Aid and expenses grants. This is regulated by the UK Charities Commission.

As you have rightly pointed out, JustGiving charge a very small transaction fee - this is necessary to cover their costs.

Therefore out of your donations a minimum of 95% will be invested in the education and care of the SOS Africa children.

Among the many positive comments I have also seen a few negative ones. In response to these I would say that you can only really understand how much these children need our help if you see the conditions in which they live. It is not the fault of the parents - they are also born into poverty and without education and do not know about contraceptives and cannot afford them - by educating Africa's future generations we can ensure that Kelebogile and other children like her do not make the same mistakes and can get decent jobs to allow them to support their own families in the future.

Thanks again to Andy and everyone involved for the support you have all shown Kelebogile and our charity!

Tactician
Lieutenant Tactician

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 pm

chapcrap wrote:
Chuuuuck wrote:Can you please take this ADVERTISEMENT off of the side of my game now? I was told I pay a subscription for this site because they don't use advertisements.

I don't know who told you that. There weren't ads before you paid. It's the same for freemium and premium.

I am well aware there weren't ads before I paid. I am saying from the beginning, they advertised as they don't use ads because they charge for premium membership. All sites have to make revenue, they all do it 1 of 2 ways. They charge their members, or they basically sell access to its members to companies that want to advertise to that demographic.

ConquerClub said that would never put up advertisements. Once upon a time they even had a phrase they posted somewhere about "annoying banners and popups."

To be honest, I don't believe anything a private company says about getting no gain from something they are doing. Short of opening up your entire financial records (which will never happen), I wouldn't believe they aren't gaining from this.

I do think there is a chance they are not gaining from this. In which case, that is great, but it still undermines the entire idea that you charge your members of this site so they DON'T HAVE TO LOOK AT BANNERS AND POPUPS. Yet, now you are putting banners up just because you decide they are worth a good cause. Well, to be blunt, if you think it is a good cause, then you donate or do whatever you want to do. But don't sell us a product of not having banners and then fail to deliver on your end.

To the owner/founder of the SOS program. I think your program is great. I have looked into it and it appears to be a worthwhile endeavor. I am just more concerned with this site selling us out after being founded on and stating to us we wouldn't have to deal with banners and things here.

It can only get worse once it starts...
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Tactician wrote:Therefore out of your donations a minimum of 95% will be invested in the education and care of the SOS Africa children.

Also, I am curious as to how 95% would go to SOS Africa children. If your collection company takes 5%, are you telling me that SOS Africa spends no money on itself? Your overhead is $0??

I seriously doubt anywhere near 95% makes it to helping children.

Can you please direct us to where a financial breakdown for SOS Africa and all of their expenses is located? (I apologize if I missed this somewhere).
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:
Tactician wrote:Therefore out of your donations a minimum of 95% will be invested in the education and care of the SOS Africa children.

Also, I am curious as to how 95% would go to SOS Africa children. If your collection company takes 5%, are you telling me that SOS Africa spends no money on itself? Your overhead is $0??

I seriously doubt anywhere near 95% makes it to helping children.

Can you please direct us to where a financial breakdown for SOS Africa and all of their expenses is located? (I apologize if I missed this somewhere).

Ahoy Chuuuuck,

According to SOS Africa's website, their expenses and overhead are covered the UK Government's 'Gift Aid'.

show: Information Contained in the link above

Also, check out the first post's spoiler about SOS Africa Information, which contains links to relevant financial and compliance information.

--Andy

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Very impressive. Still not happy about you all adding the banners. But I do like the organization chosen.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm

Chuuuuck wrote:Very impressive. Still not happy about you all adding the banners. But I do like the organization chosen.

Good to hear, Chuuuuck. In regards to the Just Giving widget, it'll go down once we get another 23%! I think it is a small price to pay "endure" a widget for a couple weeks in a 52 week year! :D

--Andy

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Not so much that widget that bothers me. More the principal of we pay a premium so those kinds of widgets aren't on the site. And the precedent it could start setting for why future widgets are okay.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby ask me2 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 pm

I have I problem with the name of the organization, SOS Africa? Save Our Ship Africa? That doesn't make any sense, as Africa is not a ship.
Major ask me2

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 pm

natty dread wrote:
pissedoffsol wrote:meanwhile, millions of people are still homeless in the uk, usa, and elsewhere too, but somehow we don't feel bad for them and insist on sending money over-seas.....

Genaraln7 wrote:Do we need to pay to clean up there mess?

Wow, you two really are prime samples of decent human beings.

:shock: :o
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby denominator on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:00 pm

ask me2 wrote:I have I problem with the name of the organization, SOS Africa? Save Our Ship Africa? That doesn't make any sense, as Africa is not a ship.

SOS is not an acronym.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby natty dread on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 am

Chuuuuck wrote: Still not happy about you all adding the banners.

There's a simple solution -

1. install noscript
2. right click the widget and forbid justgiving.com
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 am

ask me2 wrote:I have I problem with the name of the organization, SOS Africa? Save Our Ship Africa? That doesn't make any sense, as Africa is not a ship.

I always thought it was, you know, Save Our Souls. :-s
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives