Conquer Club

Africa II [SoS Africa Reward Map]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Africa II [SoS Africa Reward Map]

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 am

thanks ian for your info. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 am

iancanton wrote:democratic republic of congo's lost its coastline! can u put it back? the angola-congo border also needs to be removed from the xml.

ian. :)

I think I've lost the right psd file so I used a older version. #-o
Ok, I'll double check everything because I don't know how much is old the file, but since 4 eyes are better than 2....a part that coast line do you see something else that is not in the right place?
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Finsfleet on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 am

This map sucks. It is pretty, but borders are unclear. If it wasn`t for Bob, I would never know which teritory attacks which.
Major Finsfleet

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:45 am

Finsfleet wrote:This map sucks. It is pretty, but borders are unclear. If it wasn`t for Bob, I would never know which teritory attacks which.

What is exactly unclear? Not had a problem myself.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby HardAttack on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 am

This map looks pretty nice, i love it though. Especially artistic measures are well inserted in it. Forests, jungles and so on to give a realistic very well look as if i was looking from space to the continent. Just like google earth scene...I love it. Thanks for the efforts.

One thing if easy to handle, can we resize the map to decrease the size down to % 80 or % 75 of the current size ? Asking this to have the map to fit in screen :D
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Finsfleet wrote:This map sucks. It is pretty, but borders are unclear. If it wasn`t for Bob, I would never know which teritory attacks which.

I think (hope) that with unclear he means un-common. The fact we didn't use colors on the land for continents...because a part for that I don't understand how a black line could be unclear... :? Oh maybe the inner bridges...i think I'll leave bridges only for connections between different territories, for internal connections I'll do something like this:

HardAttack wrote:One thing if easy to handle, can we resize the map to decrease the size down to % 80 or % 75 of the current size ? Asking this to have the map to fit in screen

Look at page 5, that version is the possible new small, is it good in that size for you?

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 am

thenobodies80 wrote:i think I'll leave bridges only for connections between different territories, for internal connections I'll do something like this:

Just going to post my new map in the drafting room. Did something similar in that one. ;) Should make things clearer.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:21 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Hey all! Beautiful Map.

However, I am wondering if you can change the 'interterritory' bridges to a different graphic from the 'intraterritory bridges'. I know the map, but it still is difficult to see sometimes and might make the map more 'n00b-friendly'.

Maybe, it could have a little bit of connection with the land instead of a bridge... I have been confused by this multiple times while playing.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:19 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

I think (hope) that with unclear he means un-common. The fact we didn't use colors on the land for continents...because a part for that I don't understand how a black line could be unclear... :? Oh maybe the inner bridges...i think I'll leave bridges only for connections between different territories, for internal connections I'll do something like this:

This could work nicely.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

the rivers are usually impassables and when you see a river you automatically think that whatever is beyond is a different terit.
this means that some connections aren't visible at a glance.
eritrea to sudan or mozambique to swaziland.

obviously if you pay attention and take your time to study the borders it's all clear but i can see how confusion may appear in a fast paced speedgame.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Very nice, tnb.

One quick question, however;

Just out of interest, did you intentionally blur the texture of the ground in the small image, or was some detail lost when scaling ?
(I think the texture on the small image looks fine)
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Unfortunately details got lost with the small....that's why I hate small versions...you work a lot to have a pretty maps, work on details, etc etc.
Then when you scale it down and you lose some of them, then when lack applies the jpg compression....you lose all them. :(

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Small versions can't always be tremendous works of art (but I think a lot of ours are), but that is one of the reasons why we also have large versions! ;) So those who want to play on small maps can do so, and those who want to take in the work can play on the large. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 pm

chapcrap wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Hey all! Beautiful Map.

However, I am wondering if you can change the 'interterritory' bridges to a different graphic from the 'intraterritory bridges'. I know the map, but it still is difficult to see sometimes and might make the map more 'n00b-friendly'.

Maybe, it could have a little bit of connection with the land instead of a bridge... I have been confused by this multiple times while playing.

I feel like this is being ignored... DiM addressed it though.
DiM wrote:the rivers are usually impassables and when you see a river you automatically think that whatever is beyond is a different terit.
this means that some connections aren't visible at a glance.
eritrea to sudan or mozambique to swaziland.

obviously if you pay attention and take your time to study the borders it's all clear but i can see how confusion may appear in a fast paced speedgame.

That's the issue...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Not ignored, I'll fix it.

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Not ignored, I'll fix it.

This is great news!!
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby HardAttack on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:30 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:

HardAttack wrote:One thing if easy to handle, can we resize the map to decrease the size down to % 80 or % 75 of the current size ? Asking this to have the map to fit in screen

Look at page 5, that version is the possible new small, is it good in that size for you?

Yup bud, the smaller version in page 5 is pretty nice looking...
That is what i exactly desire to see to be the final size bud =D>
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

This is the latest xml for this map.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/1/27/3255536/A2.xml
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm

In that xml congo borders with angola....i remember you fixed it but i can't find the link

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

The new images are in the OP, for now I've left the bridges....the option I've proposed above looks terrible on the map...I have to think a bit about it and find something that really works. ;)
Btw, files sent to Lack!

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:20 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:The new images are in the OP, for now I've left the bridges....the option I've proposed above looks terrible on the map...I have to think a bit about it and find something that really works. ;)
Btw, files sent to Lack!

Great job!! Apart from the fonts not being the same, the bridges are the only issue I have left.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

cairnswk wrote:3. The title is too close to the right hand border, and doesn't have the same spacing that it has on the top side. I can appreciate that it is probably trying to be fit on the land mass there, but it simply looks odd to me.

Debatable...I think the title is ok in the current position

tnb80...i'd still like to see this one happen...the title needs to move left by the same margin that is at the top.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Will do cairnswk, will do. Just trying to get rid of some things on my to do list before to work again on the map. ;)

Btw, are the new size better? Is people happier with this small version?

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Will do cairnswk, will do. Just trying to get rid of some things on my to do list before to work again on the map. ;)

Btw, are the new size better? Is people happier with this small version?

I am so much happier. Evidence: :D
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas