Conquer Club

Behind the scenes maps: what do you think?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Behind the scenes maps: what do you think?

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:37 am

The group won't be secret and like I said in that announcement there're just 2 requirements for it since we're not supposed to discuss there about random things but we need to keep it productive.
Just you can't find it because it's a group ad hoc for a temporary project so you need just to send me a pm to have access to it, once I have at least a minimum number of people to give a real meaning to this project I would be happy to add all people.
And jJust to give you some numbers, right now I have ONLY 3 non CAs interested!

But ok, you're right the info it's a bit hidden right now. I'll give to it more evidence, I'll start a topic in a way it's more visible from everywhere in the foundry.

P.s. About the 2 months lack of feedback, I'll check the dates later, but if you're saying the truth, you're right this shouldn't be happen. Must be said we have a small group of people right now, I'm trying to expand the team but you know it needs time, because the last thing we need are the "wanna be", moreover mapmaking requires a bit of knowledge, it's not just move threads... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:42 am

ManBungalow wrote:Maybe the foundry should develop real maps for Christmas and Easter* made available all year round, just like we have a permanent Halloween map which is used in special events regardless ?

the permanent halloween map exists merely because cairnswk thought about it before any secret map could be developed. if this would have happened nowadays cairnswk would probably be told something like: "sorry but you'll have to discontinue work on your halloween map. we plan on making a secret halloween map ourselves so yours can't exist" :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47 am

thenobodies80 wrote:The group won't be secret and like I said in that announcement there're just 2 requirements for it since we're not supposed to discuss there about random things but we need to keep it productive.
Just you can't find it because it's a group ad hoc for a temporary project so you need just to send me a pm to have access to it, once I have at least a minimum number of people to give a real meaning to this project I would be happy to add all people.
And jJust to give you some numbers, right now I have ONLY 3 non CAs interested!

But ok, you're right the info it's a bit hidden right now. I'll give to it more evidence, I'll start a topic in a way it's more visible from everywhere in the foundry.

what the...? how the...?
i didn't know a pm needs to be sent. is there a secret handshake i should know, too? :lol:
it's no wonder people aren't flocking to that group if the method of gaining access is a close guarded secret :P
consider me interested even if i'm not sending you a pm.

thenobodies80 wrote:P.s. About the 2 months lack of feedback, I'll check the dates later, but if you're saying the truth, you're right this shouldn't be happen.

12th jan - got draft stamp and was moved to main foundry
24th feb - isaiah said things are looking balanced and he'll get iancanton to check the map.
28th apr - nobody bothered to check the map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 am

DiM wrote:i'm not trying to spread negativity, i'm simply trying to draw attention to one of the problems in the foundry. and that is the CAs aren't really posting that much or paying attention to maps as much as needed.
you keep saying you're trying to speed up the process of map making. that spending 6-9 months on a map is unacceptable and yet there are maps who are standing idly where nobody has anything left to comment cause they're pretty much ready and yet no CA is coming to move that map forward.

i'm not a CA and yet i used to post more than ALL the CAs COMBINED.

Hey, me too! Want to start a club? We can call it "Non-CA:s who used to post more than CA:s".

But see, the thing is, the admins aren't going to let anyone who is actually invested in the foundry to become a CA. That would interfere with their plans to phase out the foundry. And mark my words, that's what is going to happen. One day lack will just up and close the foundry forums, and announce that all the new maps will be made by a secret group of spineless yes-men who know nothing about map design...

DiM wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:Maybe the foundry should develop real maps for Christmas and Easter* made available all year round, just like we have a permanent Halloween map which is used in special events regardless ?

the permanent halloween map exists merely because cairnswk thought about it before any secret map could be developed. if this would have happened nowadays cairnswk would probably be told something like: "sorry but you'll have to discontinue work on your halloween map. we plan on making a secret halloween map ourselves so yours can't exist" :lol:

This is so true. Also, the same applies for the classic map.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 am

natty dread wrote:But see, the thing is, the admins aren't going to let anyone who is actually invested in the foundry to become a CA.

i doubt this. nobody is stopping anybody from applying to a CA position and if the aplication comes from a veteran map maker i'm pretty sure he'll be accepted.
now i have never applied for such a position because as a mapmaker myself i wouldn't want people to think my maps are being favoured just because i'm part of the CAs.

also i don't think lack will ever close down the foundry. it's a source of free income for him, so why would he do it?
worst case scenario that he continues to ignore the foundry, not deliver any updates for the xml, allow more secret maps to be made and eventually all map makers will leave and the foundry will slowly die.
Major DiM

Postby squishyg on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 am

When I was managing social media for Conquer Club I created a team of volunteers that suggested topics and worked closely with me to ensure that all of CC was being represented. That team had a private, hidden usergroup where we could share ideas. The opportunity was open to everyone on CC and I believe everyone who applied I deemed qualified.

Just like any volunteer team, some people got extremely involved while others lost interest, but it was a successful endeavor.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:13 pm

squishyg wrote:When I was managing social media for Conquer Club I created a team of volunteers that suggested topics and worked closely with me to ensure that all of CC was being represented. That team had a private, hidden usergroup where we could share ideas. The opportunity was open to everyone on CC and I believe everyone who applied I deemed qualified.

Just like any volunteer team, some people got extremely involved while others lost interest, but it was a successful endeavor.

Sam threw me off the social media team with no indication or justification.

That is all.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
Do you think all maps must go throught the foundry even if it means destroy the surprise effect? or do you think it's fine as it is now? or again, do you think that maps can be developed behind the scenes on special occasions, but there should be a public topic to discuss and improve them anyway?

Please discuss
Nobodies

I just read all six pages of this thread and it reads like one of those paper back romance novels that you just can't put down because you have to see how it ends. :lol:

Personally, I hate surprises. Especially when they are embarrassing surprise parties where every one comes out of a dark room and just scares the hell out of you (SURPRIIISE!!!) risking a heart attack and all in the process. And I would also not enjoy very much playing a game for the first time and realizing the crappy play of it all. Probably why I stick with the classic map. ;)

Even though I haven't played on many different maps, although I can imagine that feeling, I would have to say that if the foundry is doing a fine job of creating well, enjoyable and playable maps then they should be the only resource for doing so. If there is some kind of problem in getting out the maps in a reasonable time limit then that should be the issue or an issue to deal with and not whether who should make the maps or not.

I believe that Dim and Natty Dread make an excellent point in the quality control issue, in that all the maps should go through a process of criticism and review. A map that just appears out of nowhere with crappy play is like a bad surprise party on a really bad hair day. Or worse, really bad sex in which you just can't get those invested 11 minutes of your life back. Oh sure, it's fine for the guy, right??? :lol:

If it takes a year to come out with a map for Christmas then start the process now. Don't wait until November to throw out some half hashed map that most people won't play anyways. Or worse will feel like suckers if they do. And if administration reserves the right to throw out "surprise" maps then they should at least come with a warning label. [Alert: You may find this map to be really SHITTY! You have been warned. Thank you and enjoy the game.] :lol:

So I think that all maps should go through foundry because nothing ruins the happy holiday season more than crappy game play on a crappy game map for a festive season. That is really no kind of a surprise at all. At least not in my game book.

I am just saying; If that is indeed what is happening?
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Viceroy63 wrote: Or worse, really bad sex in which you just can't get those invested 11 minutes of your life back. Oh sure, it's fine for the guy, right??? :lol:

11 minutes, wtf? If you're not going to f*ck for at least a half an hour why even bother getting out the lube and handcuffs...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:03 am

:lol:
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
squishyg wrote:When I was managing social media for Conquer Club I created a team of volunteers that suggested topics and worked closely with me to ensure that all of CC was being represented. That team had a private, hidden usergroup where we could share ideas. The opportunity was open to everyone on CC and I believe everyone who applied I deemed qualified.

Sam threw me off the social media team with no indication or justification.

That is all.

Well, Sam is no longer the Entertainment Coordinator, so... ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions