Conquer Club

Flags of the world

Have suggestion for a new or old tool/enhancement? Come on in!

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Flags of the world

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 am

Can you guys make a tool that once you click on it, it will bring up a new page that shows you the flags of all the people you have played against and how many from each country next to it...

Africa flag: 12 people
USA: 8029341 people
Thailand: 1 person
Mexico: 3 people

so on.. but with the flags instead of the names, this way I can hunt down the countries I have not yet played against.

Thanks
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Flags of the world

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Sounds like an interesting exercise, but just to be clear, at first glance, I think a tool could only list the flags of countries you have played. I do not think that there is any reasonable way to come up with a list of flags that you have [b]not[b] yet played, as I don't see any practical way to get a complete list of all flags of users on CC.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby chapcrap on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:11 pm

What if someone's flag changes?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Yea I just wanna know the ones I've played already
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby danfrank on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:13 pm

ender516 wrote:Sounds like an interesting exercise, but just to be clear, at first glance, I think a tool could only list the flags of countries you have played. I do not think that there is any reasonable way to come up with a list of flags that you have [b]not[b] yet played, as I don't see any practical way to get a complete list of all flags of users on CC.

There are 196 countries in the world.. Having a standard page with all the flags of these countries and then it just tallying each flag per opponent played is not to difficult to code..
And from a website point it could do the same thing as people join the site. That way CC can see where they need to market if possible to do so...
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby danfrank on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm

grifftron wrote:Yea I just wanna know the ones I've played already

Beard slap thats interesting you got one for bald guys :lol:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 pm

danfrank wrote:
grifftron wrote:Yea I just wanna know the ones I've played already

Beard slap thats interesting you got one for bald guys :lol:

google it :)

And after the flags of the world is complete and I can click a button to show how many people from what countries I have played against, and possible (but not needed to fulfill my enjoyment) see the countries I yet to play against could you make another button that shows the faces of the people I have played against? now THAT would be even more interesting! :ugeek:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:54 pm

danfrank wrote:
ender516 wrote:Sounds like an interesting exercise, but just to be clear, at first glance, I think a tool could only list the flags of countries you have played. I do not think that there is any reasonable way to come up with a list of flags that you have [b]not[b] yet played, as I don't see any practical way to get a complete list of all flags of users on CC.

There are 196 countries in the world.. Having a standard page with all the flags of these countries and then it just tallying each flag per opponent played is not to difficult to code..
And from a website point it could do the same thing as people join the site. That way CC can see where they need to market if possible to do so...

Of course one could find pictures of all those flags and type up a page with all that in, but as an irredeemable coding monkey, I will do almost any amount of software development to get a computer to do something I could do myself by hand. :D ;)

A question remains: how closely does the list of countries reported by the CC API match up with that list of 196 countries? I believe that CC's countries are determined from the IP address you log in from, and I seem to recall seeing some odd flags due to proxy use.

Postby grifftron on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:43 am

I know their might be some errors and incorrect locations on some of the flags at the start, but cant you guys just get a trial and error version out :?:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby betiko on Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 am

griff i didn't know africa was a country and that it had it's own flag! :lol:
Major betiko

Postby grifftron on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:38 am

betiko wrote:griff i didn't know africa was a country and that it had it's own flag! :lol:

:lol:

Anything new on this? can it be done ?
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 am

I will likely take a look at this once I release a couple of other scripts I am working on: a Player Link script (like Game Link, but pops up a quick mini-profile when hovering over tagged player names), and the Conquer Club Contrast Corrector (or C4, as I like to call it) which adds a white outline to the black outline on troop numbers on maps, solving the problem of blue being too dark to read on some maps, like ConquerMan. If you do not hear from me within a month, give me a nudge by PM or posting here.

Postby grifftron on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:24 pm

ender516 wrote:I will likely take a look at this once I release a couple of other scripts I am working on: a Player Link script (like Game Link, but pops up a quick mini-profile when hovering over tagged player names), and the Conquer Club Contrast Corrector (or C4, as I like to call it) which adds a white outline to the black outline on troop numbers on maps, solving the problem of blue being too dark to read on some maps, like ConquerMan. If you do not hear from me within a month, give me a nudge by PM or posting here.

hehe OK thanks a lot ender, appreciate it!
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby runewake2 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 pm

If you don't mind using a C# program (would require install) I could just change like 2 lines in my Windows Phone app and you would get something like what you describe, though I can't vouch for performance (likely terrible as no caching occurs). Anyway, if that is cool with you I could have something relatively quickly.

I'm not sure if my algorithm for grabbing the users flag is correct, might be a good way to debug it.

EDIT: Take back what I said about requiring an install, I can get around that. It would require you to be using Windows though, Linux and Mac would require teaching my code to dance, and it isn't up for that... at least not yet.
Corporal 1st Class runewake2

Postby grifftron on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 am

bump... ender anything new ? :P
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ThrushAAX on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 am

Woudn't this require a huge number of web requests? If you played 2000 unique players you would need to load 2000 different api calls? I suppose it could cash the result of each player after each run, but it still sounds like a lot. Maprank doesn't even hit 100 api calls (though they have a large result set) until you have 20000 games. Actually it would be similar to some of the maprank code as you still need to get and parse all games played then you need to look up each unique player.

It would be be faster to get and store country flags from the scoreboard in large batches, but that's only for the current active players.
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby ender516 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 pm

grifftron wrote:bump... ender anything new ? :P

Thanks for the reminder. I got my C4 script released here, but I am holding off on Player Link until Game Link, Map Rank, and BOB are all okay with Trench Warfare.
ThrushAAX wrote:Woudn't this require a huge number of web requests? If you played 2000 unique players you would need to load 2000 different api calls? I suppose it could cash the result of each player after each run, but it still sounds like a lot. Maprank doesn't even hit 100 api calls (though they have a large result set) until you have 20000 games. Actually it would be similar to some of the maprank code as you still need to get and parse all games played then you need to look up each unique player.

It would be be faster to get and store country flags from the scoreboard in large batches, but that's only for the current active players.

ThrushAAX makes some valid points. The Map Rank code would be a good base for this, but with the current API, you do need one call for each player. Maybe this would be best done as an enhancement to Map Rank. To be honest, I don't know if Map Rank caches lists of unique players, or recreates them with each run. I will try to get a closer look at this idea this week.

Postby grifftron on Thu May 03, 2012 3:49 am

Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Return to Tools Suggestions