Conquer Club

SteamWorks

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: SteamWorks

Postby zimmah on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:06 pm

Mande1992 wrote:It is a nice looking map, but 1vs1 play is really just a battle of dice. There is some strategy trying to block your opponents path, but there is really no time to take neutrals to build bonuses as everything is connected to everything.

Just my opinion but there is very little to do but roll 6s.

i personally think this is one of the best balanced maps for 1v1.

other small maps like luxemburg often have 1 player end up with a bonus, and even the bigger maps will often depend on a lucky drop. a player dropping 3/4 or 4/5th of a continent will usually have a huge advantage, especially if neutrals are blocking all or some of the borders.

on this map it's not only unlikely, but even impossable for any player to start out with a bonus, and therefore at least the drop is balanced. and even though everything is connected, you still have to balance between using balloons or ships, and choose between taking a bonus (by fighting some neutrals) or attacking your opponent directly.

i think this map is high in the top 5 of most balanced maps for 1v1, 1v1v1, 1v1v1v1, and 2v2. for bigger games it might not be best, even tho it's still playable with 6 or even 8 players, i'd advice playing this map with 5 or less players.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:50 pm

the map works best for 2-4 player 5-6 is acceptable while 7-8 is too much.
as zimmah pointed the map is made like this to be very balanced and not give the starting player a huge advantage. i could make all the terits to start as deployable but then probably many players will get bonuses right from the start and that would ruin everything.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Luck is part of this game. We must live with the idea that sometimes things go in the right way and sometimes not....
I'm of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with this map...in fact it is very close to the top of my "maps to quench" list.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:53 pm

i would agree that every map cannot suit every setting.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Last Call

If anyone has any other comments on tweaking the gameplay/graphics, now is the time to speak up! If there are no other concerns within the next couple of days, this map will be quenched!

thenobodies80

Postby Lindax on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 pm

I really like the map, it's something different.

Only remark I would have is that the winning condition seems a little hard to achieve.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Lindax wrote:I really like the map, it's something different.

Only remark I would have is that the winning condition seems a little hard to achieve.

Lx

glad you like it mate.

i don't know about the winning condition.
it all depends on how many people play the game. i agree in an 8p game it's very hard to do it especially if it's a sunny game. but in a 4p fog game it's perfectly achievable.

it would be nice if we could se t the objective as variable. for example in a 5-8 player game you win if you hold oxford and 2 powered engines and in a 2-4 player game you need oxford and 3 powered engines. unfortunately that can't be done.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Lindax on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:11 am

DiM wrote:

Lx

glad you like it mate.

it all depends on how many people play the game. i agree in an 8p game it's very hard to do it especially if it's a sunny game. but in a 4p fog game it's perfectly achievable.

it would be nice if we could se t the objective as variable. for example in a 5-8 player game you win if you hold oxford and 2 powered engines and in a 2-4 player game you need oxford and 3 powered engines. unfortunately that can't be done.

I agree, that would be nice.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby zimmah on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:38 pm

Lindax wrote:
DiM wrote:

Lx

glad you like it mate.

I agree, that would be nice.

Lx

ye, XML is quite limited. i hope there will be some updates in the near future. especially variable XML would be nice.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Like the map, but the last few times I have played it, the bonuses and descriptions just don't seem to match. Could some error have been inserted at some point?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:15 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Like the map, but the last few times I have played it, the bonuses and descriptions just don't seem to match. Could some error have been inserted at some point?

as far as i know nothing changed. could be an error from the site? :?
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the SteamWorks Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations DiM and Zimmah, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:55 pm

thanks tnb80 for the medal.
thanks zimmah for the xml contribution
thanks to those that gave me feedback and advice
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:24 pm

DiM wrote:thanks tnb80 for the medal.
thanks zimmah for the xml contribution
thanks to those that gave me feedback and advice

most thanks goes to DiM though, he did most of the work.

also thanks for helping me figure out the few bugs quickly by testing it with me and sully.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:45 pm

=D>

Congrats, DiM! Here's to your next beta map! ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> Congrats!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby trinicardinal on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 am

=D> Congrats on another very nice map
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Another superb map says goodbye to Beta. Well done to DiM and all.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby djak. on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:21 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:Like the map, but the last few times I have played it, the bonuses and descriptions just don't seem to match. Could some error have been inserted at some point?

The -1 is still in the description, but isn't being implemented. In Game 10036329 (fogged), for several turns I've had 4 of the engines, while the remaining 3 engines are neutral. My 2 opponents have 1 or 2 steams each, and no engines. The description says they should get a -1 per turn, but they're not.
Lieutenant djak.

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:27 am

djak. wrote:

The -1 is still in the description, but isn't being implemented. In Game 10036329 (fogged), or several turns I've had 4 of the engines, while the other 3 engines are neutral. My 2 opponents each have 1 steam, and no engines. The description says they should get a -1 per turn, but they're not.

i thought the same as you, but if you read closer, you'll understand that the last portion says, "steam with no engines is a waste and grants no bonus" this means that as long as you have no engines then the -1 is not enforced.

i personally think this could be made clearer, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, once people start figuring it out it shouldn't be so much of a problem.

just my opinion.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby djak. on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 am

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:
djak. wrote:

The -1 is still in the description, but isn't being implemented. In Game 10036329 (fogged), or several turns I've had 4 of the engines, while the other 3 engines are neutral. My 2 opponents each have 1 steam, and no engines. The description says they should get a -1 per turn, but they're not.

i thought the same as you, but if you read closer, you'll understand that the last portion says, "steam with no engines is a waste and grants no bonus" this means that as long as you have no engines then the -1 is not enforced.

i personally think this could be made clearer, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, once people start figuring it out it shouldn't be so much of a problem.

just my opinion.

-1 isn't a bonus, it's a penalty, therefor the "steam with no engines is a waste and grants no bonus" sentence doesn't negate the -1 sentence.
Lieutenant djak.

Postby DiM on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:07 am

it's a negative bonus.
this thing has been debated and reiterated several times.
as always i'm open to suggestions even though the map is already out of beta. if you have a better rephrasing that also fits in the specific place i'll be glad to hear it and if more people come and agree your suggestion is better and clearer then i'll implement it.
Major DiM

Postby djak. on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:09 am

DiM wrote:it's a negative bonus.
this thing has been debated and reiterated several times.
as always i'm open to suggestions even though the map is already out of beta. if you have a better rephrasing that also fits in the specific place i'll be glad to hear it and if more people come and agree your suggestion is better and clearer then i'll implement it.

How about replacing

"Having more Steam than Engines is bad. For each excess Steam you lose all Engine bonuses and get a -1 troop per turn."

with

"If you have at least 1 Engine, and more Steam than Engines, you lose all Engine bonuses and get a -1 troop per turn per excess Steam."

?
Lieutenant djak.

Postby MrSping on Wed May 23, 2012 8:26 am

Bit of a nit-picky point/question that might have been said aleready, but why are some of the areas named counties and some are cities etc? Especially confused by 'Gloucester' and 'Worcester' rather than 'Gloucestershire' and 'Worcestershire' when Devon (which doesn't need the 'shire' part anyway) is called 'Devon shire'.
Sergeant 1st Class MrSping

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed May 23, 2012 7:12 pm

This is really nice. Very classy.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Previous

Return to The Atlas