Conquer Club

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

D-Day: Omaha Beach! [Quenched]

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:51 pm

I got this idea from a thread of hulmey's that he .. abandoned.

Omaha beach in the battle of Normandy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha_beach

Latest update:

large
small

Original

Image[/img]
Last edited by mibi on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:58 am, edited 29 times in total.
Captain mibi

Postby Gozar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:04 pm

The seawall could definately use some clarifying. Where some beaches can only go one way, I don't see any one ways from the flats. Can they all attack down? or none?

Neat idea!

Cheers

Gozar
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Gozar wrote:The seawall could definately use some clarifying. Where some beaches can only go one way, I don't see any one ways from the flats. Can they all attack down? or none?

Neat idea!

Cheers

Gozar

all the flats can attack down, except on the the beaches that are one ways up.
Captain mibi

Postby Gozar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:09 pm

So can the beaches only attack up at the one ways?

If so, you will probably need distinct bonuses for the different divisions. Not just +5 for any flat. West panzer seems like 5 is a lot.
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:11 pm

Gozar wrote:So can the beaches only attack up at the one ways?

If so, you will probably need distinct bonuses for the different divisions. Not just +5 for any flat. West panzer seems like 5 is a lot.

no the beaches can attack up all along the sea wall.. its just that some places the flats can't attack down.
Captain mibi

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Interesting.

It looks like we're looking at quite a few first-turn bonuses on this map.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Its a same project like hulmey, you can help hulmey with hes project, :wink:

Also i want to create same map,but i drop these project(i have working in map and collect all parameters for these(Beaches,Units,Defence lines,all)But these will be waste of time.
In yours map you have so many mising beaches and units.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:44 pm

Call it D-Day: Operation Overlord. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby hulmey on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:46 pm

yep, its exactly like mine...it appears mibi's been trolling or great minds think a like.... :)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:04 pm

hulmey wrote:yep, its exactly like mine...it appears mibi's been trolling or great minds think a like.... :)

yeah i got the idea from you. i'll mention it in the original post. thanks!
Captain mibi

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:07 pm

qwert wrote:Its a same project like hulmey, you can help hulmey with hes project, :wink:

Also i want to create same map,but i drop these project(i have working in map and collect all parameters for these(Beaches,Units,Defence lines,all)But these will be waste of time.
In yours map you have so many mising beaches and units.

well i wanted it to more of a top down in the action map like Siege!. If i had included all the other beaches and such, it would be just another geography type map. I did include the 3 major beaches tho.
Captain mibi

Postby Gilligan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:26 pm

No offense, I don't like it, it is very confusing.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Qwert on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:50 pm

These what you think, but i know that all beaches whas very importan, and every body know that omaha beache have so many casulty because heavy veapons dont bring in same time like in others beaches. And you still missing 2 beaches, and dont forget point du houce. Also dont forget parashute drop behind enemy lines, i think that these was most importan thing,then invasion,But if you want to create only beaches part of invasion,then you must put in these order beaches
-UTAH-OMAHA-GOLD-JUNO-SWORD
These is original order of beaches.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby johloh on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:57 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 pm

ah man! :shock: this was the map that i had started working on while i was waiting for mine to quench....

mine was very different looking though...damn.
Major johloh

Postby johloh on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:00 pm

I was doing a way zoomed out geography style map with both england/france in it...

ill hold off on working on it for awhile and see how you progress on this... :cry:
Major johloh

Postby Coleman on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:01 pm

johloh wrote:ah man! :shock: this was the map that i had started working on while i was waiting for mine to quench....

mine was very different looking though...damn.

Ouch, that sucks... mibi is leaving the ugly xml work to me again like he did for the siege map, so when/if we get to that point and things are off, yell at me, not him. :lol:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby johloh on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:02 pm

coleman! the juno beach army is 2 pixels off to the left! fix it!
Major johloh

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:26 pm

qwert wrote:These what you think, but i know that all beaches whas very importan, and every body know that omaha beache have so many casulty because heavy veapons dont bring in same time like in others beaches. And you still missing 2 beaches, and dont forget point du houce. Also dont forget parashute drop behind enemy lines, i think that these was most importan thing,then invasion,But if you want to create only beaches part of invasion,then you must put in these order beaches

yeah qwert, as i said earlier, i wanted this map to be IN the action so i couldnt include all the beaches with out zooming out a ton, then i couldnt have pill boxes because they would be enormous. If you wanted to do something different then go for it... the more maps the merrier.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:31 pm

mibi wrote:
qwert wrote:These what you think, but i know that all beaches whas very importan, and every body know that omaha beache have so many casulty because heavy veapons dont bring in same time like in others beaches. And you still missing 2 beaches, and dont forget point du houce. Also dont forget parashute drop behind enemy lines, i think that these was most importan thing,then invasion,But if you want to create only beaches part of invasion,then you must put in these order beaches

yeah qwert, as i said earlier, i wanted this map to be IN the action so i couldnt include all the beaches with out zooming out a ton, then i couldnt have pill boxes because they would be enormous. If you wanted to do something different then go for it... the more maps the merrier.

mibi might get mad at me for this. But I suggested in private conversation that a competition for this map wouldn't be a bad idea. If everyone wants to keep working with their versions with the idea that only the best/most popular one makes it we are bound to get a really good version of this map in the end.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:43 pm

johloh wrote:I was doing a way zoomed out geography style map with both england/france in it...

ill hold off on working on it for awhile and see how you progress on this... :cry:

Why stop then? Mibi's map seems to be more like his Siege style map. Yours could be the traditional geography map (which I prefer actually).

You could add the other beaches and the parachute landings area in the map like qwert said and it would be much different from this one. We can have both maps.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby johloh on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:54 pm

You could add the other beaches and the parachute landings area
yeah mine had all 5 ships and 3 planes with the 3 dif locations of the trooper landings...im not interested in doing a competition though...thatll just be a big HUGE waste of time for the people who dont get picked. these maps take too much time...

if there is room for the two different style maps (i think there should be) then Im down to keep working...but only with a go ahead from Andy that both maps can be quenched...otherwise, im not interested in a competition.
Major johloh

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:59 pm

johloh wrote:
You could add the other beaches and the parachute landings area
yeah mine had all 5 ships and 3 planes with the 3 dif locations of the trooper landings...im not interested in doing a competition though...thatll just be a big HUGE waste of time for the people who dont get picked. these maps take too much time...

if there is room for the two different style maps (i think there should be) then Im down to keep working...but only with a go ahead from Andy that both maps can be quenched...otherwise, im not interested in a competition.

id be interested to see your map johloh... feel free to pm me. id be interested to know how the planes and paratroopers worked.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:08 pm

You should continue yours, I'm sure they are different enough.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby luckiekevin on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:22 pm

yeah this is such bad luck for both mibi and johloh. Johloh has been nice enough to include me in on the initial design on his D-Day Map over the last few weeks and I must say that it looks really good thus far. I'm sure the last think Johloh wants to do is step on anyones toes but I really do feel like he should post his.

We had worked out routes for the US 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions behind the german artillery points defending the beach against the landing forces. We also worked out the British Airborne landing behind Juno and Sword beach where the British/Canadian forces landed. There were a lot of cool things happening.
Real players don't just play team games
Corporal luckiekevin

Next

Return to The Atlas