Conquer Club

What video/computer game are you currently playing?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What video/computer game are you currently playing?

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 am

Army of GOD wrote:if you want free and cheap (though, not legal) torrent some early pc games. Games like Red Alert, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. that don't have the advanced anti-piracy shit that modern games have.

Alpha Centauri and Civ 2 MGE with extra downloaded scenarios are the latest ones I've gotten off piratebay. I forgot how fucking awesome Alpha Centauri was...it's almost better than Civ 4,especially with the unit workshop. It's like Sid went backwards with Civ 3.

Army of GOD wrote:Red Dead is an awesome game tk. One of my favorite video game storylines.

Looking forward to it. I really want to tie up a hooker and put her on the railroad tracks.
Major tkr4lf

Postby TheMrAwesome on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am

Maugena wrote:
TheMrAwesome wrote:World of Tanks :)

Yeah, that game is pretty awesome, but I just don't feel like having another huge game on my PC at the moment... :(
I should stop being so fucking picky and just install it.

It is a pretty sweet game just found it yesterday. IF i had premium this site would be fun enough though lol.
Private TheMrAwesome

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:What's with the prisoner beginning? Does it ever get stale? Can these people be any less creative???

I think they only do it as a way to pay homage to the previous games. Didn't you start as a prisoner in Daggerfall? I don't know, I didn't play that one. I could be way off base here, but that was my impression.

BigBallinStalin wrote:For these games, and their storylines, my standard is Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. The dialogue in Skyrim just sucks. You can't really say anything funny, or witty, or astute. It's just nothing. Your dialogue options are bland and stale. You may as well say 1, 2, 3, or 4, and they'll the respond differently.

With these games, it's about eye candy. That's what most people want. As far as good stories go, they've been completely lacking in this industry. Give the people good graphics, and they'll think anything associated with it (dialogue, storyline) is good.

I never did play FO 1 or 2, but I've heard great things.

I understand what you're saying about graphics over story, and how the story sucks in the last 2 ES games. But how did/do you feel about Morrowind's story? I personally felt it was way better than the latest 2. Not to mention the politics, the interaction between the different guilds, the religions, etc. It just felt like a much more fleshed out and believable world than the others. The dialogue was much better as well, especially since it was text based, meaning they could have a lot more dialogue. There really wasn't much you could say, just clicking on the conversation topic, but at least you had actual interesting characters who usually had something to say.
Major tkr4lf

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:12 am

tkr4lf wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:What's with the prisoner beginning? Does it ever get stale? Can these people be any less creative???

I think they only do it as a way to pay homage to the previous games. Didn't you start as a prisoner in Daggerfall? I don't know, I didn't play that one. I could be way off base here, but that was my impression.

I'm aware of this and adhering to the past can be good at times, but this reoccurring beginning seems like a cheap gimmick.

tkr4lf wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:For these games, and their storylines, my standard is Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. The dialogue in Skyrim just sucks. You can't really say anything funny, or witty, or astute. It's just nothing. Your dialogue options are bland and stale. You may as well say 1, 2, 3, or 4, and they'll the respond differently.

With these games, it's about eye candy. That's what most people want. As far as good stories go, they've been completely lacking in this industry. Give the people good graphics, and they'll think anything associated with it (dialogue, storyline) is good.

I never did play FO 1 or 2, but I've heard great things.

I understand what you're saying about graphics over story, and how the story sucks in the last 2 ES games. But how did/do you feel about Morrowind's story? I personally felt it was way better than the latest 2. Not to mention the politics, the interaction between the different guilds, the religions, etc. It just felt like a much more fleshed out and believable world than the others. The dialogue was much better as well, especially since it was text based, meaning they could have a lot more dialogue. There really wasn't much you could say, just clicking on the conversation topic, but at least you had actual interesting characters who usually had something to say.

I've never played the earlier ones.

In the last two ES games, the options are diverse, as far as storyline goes; however, each sub-quest/story is very linear. It's almost always go to A, kill B and/or pick up C, then return. Then, there's a really weak story to carry that sequence through.

There's no real consequences either. If you join the Legion, you can walk around the Stormcloak cities, and everything is cool. That makes no sense. There's no back-stabbings, being double-crossed, or anything really exciting happening (one minor exception to only one part in the Thieves' Guild story, but the rest was lame sauce). It's very one-way and anticipated stories. There's also missions where you're suppose to sneak around, but you can just stand up, destroy everyone, and hey, no one's angry, your boss is satisfied either way, and everything is happy-go-lucky again. Makes no sense.

Your actions are detached from the game. No matter what and nearly always, regardless of your actions the game still continues as if you have no impact on the characters because the game still sticks to its linear stories and linear sub-stories. If my actions don't matter, then I can't feel any attachment to the game.

Fun example, that dwemer city Marketh (or whatever it's call in the West). You can enter the Wizard's museum, go in further, kill the freakin' guards, murder Captain Whoever, and come out smelling squeaky clean. Jarl Whatever is like "oh, hello there! blah blah blah!" and the Wizard says, "Gee, thanks for finding that Thing for me!"

Haha, wat. There should be trade-offs and consequences. If you do X, Y, and Z, then sorry you can't do these other sub-quests because you annoyed Mr. Pink, Blue, and Green.

And the sneaking in that game is ridiculous. You can just jump behind someone, enter sneak mode, and WHOA HO HO time to steal stuff! That's not difficult, which reminds me:

This game is too easy past level 15-20. Even on Master mode, it's no big deal, and you don't need to stock up on potions and all that crap. The hardest opponent was this mage who challenges you because he moved around like a monkey on PCP. It was surprisingly difficult. Why not make a room where you have 6 of those freaks causing you trouble?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby macbone on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:16 am

So I thought to myself, Self, it's been too long since I played Morrowind. And I bet the mods are even better now. So a couple of weeks ago I decided to start modding up a game and giving it another shot.

I'm about halfway through with the mods, and the furthest I've gotten is the Customs Office. =) I've been following this modding guide: http://www.somethingfornobody.com/2011/ ... ing-guide/

I just haven't had much free time, but there are so many mods out there! One of these days, I want to play through Neverwinter Nights' fan-made mods.

I do love me some old-school Fallout. Planescape: Torment and Arcanum were pretty sweet, too. You know, now would be a good time to finally play through BG 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale.

What other RPGs are out there with a good modding community? Did they ever mod up the Temple of Elemental Evil? I remember reading about a potential mod for it that would run Keep on the Borderlands, but those large-scale mods are tough to pull off. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the MW modders have done with Tamriel Rebuilt.

Edit: Oh, cool, the Humble Indie Bundle contains Sword & Sworcery? I have it on my iPod - nice little game, and great soundtrack!
Colonel macbone

Postby Gillipig on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:37 am

Maugena wrote:
DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:One thing I've noticed is how little graphics really matters. If the story is good the game can get away with poor graphics.

sadly this is mostly valid for old gamers.

just look at game sales and you'll see nice graphics and massive marketing are all that matters these days.

youngsters don't have the patience to read elaborate stories, take part in long dialogues or challenge their brain for hours to solve a puzzle. they don't want to explore, they want to be guided, they don't want to read pages of text, they want action and finally they don't want to be challenged, they want everything handed to them on a platter filled with lots of achievements.

Minecraft is super win. <3 <3 <3 (Not being sarcastic, really like the game.)

I'm not picky with graphics but......
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:55 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:I've never played the earlier ones.

In the last two ES games, the options are diverse, as far as storyline goes; however, each sub-quest/story is very linear. It's almost always go to A, kill B and/or pick up C, then return. Then, there's a really weak story to carry that sequence through.

There's no real consequences either. If you join the Legion, you can walk around the Stormcloak cities, and everything is cool. That makes no sense. There's no back-stabbings, being double-crossed, or anything really exciting happening (one minor exception to only one part in the Thieves' Guild story, but the rest was lame sauce). It's very one-way and anticipated stories. There's also missions where you're suppose to sneak around, but you can just stand up, destroy everyone, and hey, no one's angry, your boss is satisfied either way, and everything is happy-go-lucky again. Makes no sense.

Your actions are detached from the game. No matter what and nearly always, regardless of your actions the game still continues as if you have no impact on the characters because the game still sticks to its linear stories and linear sub-stories. If my actions don't matter, then I can't feel any attachment to the game.

Fun example, that dwemer city Marketh (or whatever it's call in the West). You can enter the Wizard's museum, go in further, kill the freakin' guards, murder Captain Whoever, and come out smelling squeaky clean. Jarl Whatever is like "oh, hello there! blah blah blah!" and the Wizard says, "Gee, thanks for finding that Thing for me!"

Haha, wat. There should be trade-offs and consequences. If you do X, Y, and Z, then sorry you can't do these other sub-quests because you annoyed Mr. Pink, Blue, and Green.

And the sneaking in that game is ridiculous. You can just jump behind someone, enter sneak mode, and WHOA HO HO time to steal stuff! That's not difficult, which reminds me:

This game is too easy past level 15-20. Even on Master mode, it's no big deal, and you don't need to stock up on potions and all that crap. The hardest opponent was this mage who challenges you because he moved around like a monkey on PCP. It was surprisingly difficult. Why not make a room where you have 6 of those freaks causing you trouble?

Those are all valid complaints about the series.

Even in Morrowind, which is in my opinion the best of them, the questlines are relatively straight forward, with little to no twists. There are a few instances of your actions having consequences, such as by doing a certain quest for the fighter's guild, you are then blocked from joining the thieves guild, but only if you aren't already part of the thieve's guild. Also, with the three great houses, you can only join one of them, once you join one, the members of the other two will generally not like you much. One good thing about the quests though is that you can choose if you want to do one or not, sometimes at least. Since you have multiple quest givers for most factions, you can simply go to a new questgiver if the current one gives you a quest that you or your character would not want to do.

Other than that, your actions are still pretty generally unattached to the game. But I would say that the setting and story make up for it in this one. Unlike OB and SK, it starts off slow, treating you as a normal person. Instead of right off the bat people telling you that you are the only one who can shut down the OB gates, or you are the dovakhiin, they look at you like you're a nobody, because you are. Not until you get like 6 or 7 quests into the MQ is it revealed that you are more than meets the eye. Hell, the first time you meet your main contact for the MQ, you are told that you are too green, he can't trust you to send you out into the field, and that you need a cover identity. He sends you out to find some guild work, or to go out and just find trouble. Basically he's saying go gain some levels and come back when you're more powerful so I don't have to worry about sending you out to your death.

Unfortunately though, Morrowind is even worse about being too easy past a certain level. But it's also much harder at the beginning of the game than either of its 2 predecessors. This is due to an absence of level scaling, for the most part. There are certain creatures that scale along with you, along with the random loot, but other than that, most people and things are static. That bandit you saw in some cave back at level 1 who had on basic armor? If you leave him be, come back to that cave at level 20, he's still going to be in the same spot with the same armor and same weapons. No bandits running around in extremely rare glass or daedric armor. Hell, there in the vanilla game, there was only 1 complete set of daedric armor, and that's being worn by the oldest wizard alive, who is a fucking badass in the game. Other than that, you have to search far and wide just to find an almost complete set of it. As for glass armor, there is only one place where you can even buy/find the glass gauntlets.

Anyway, there's much more I'd like to say, but I'm about to leave for an awesome 12 hour round trip drive to pick up my nephews, so I need to get off of here. But you should definitely give Morrowind a try. If you have a computer that can run Oblivion, then you can make Morrowind look better than Oblivion with mods. Not to mention add in so much new content that you won't even recognize the game any more. It can be hard to get into after playing the 2 newer ones, but it's well worth it. I would recommend perusing this page for more information.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:14 am

tkr4lf wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:if you want free and cheap (though, not legal) torrent some early pc games. Games like Red Alert, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, etc. that don't have the advanced anti-piracy shit that modern games have.

Alpha Centauri and Civ 2 MGE with extra downloaded scenarios are the latest ones I've gotten off piratebay. I forgot how fucking awesome Alpha Centauri was...it's almost better than Civ 4,especially with the unit workshop. It's like Sid went backwards with Civ 3.

never played Alpha Centauri. Is it a turn-based strategy game like Civ?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby maxfaraday on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:33 am

Army of GOD wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

It's the sequel.
You can win civ by travelling through space to Alpha Centauri.
But then there's a civil war on the spaceship and you have to choose which side you're on.
Same gameplay as civ.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 pm

oh. I've always fucking hated the Space race win requirements in Civ, mostly because when I was younger, I didn't know what the best combination of parts or whatever made it the fastest.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

maxfaraday wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

It's the sequel.
You can win civ by travelling through space to Alpha Centauri.
But then there's a civil war on the spaceship and you have to choose which side you're on.
Same gameplay as civ.

It's not really a direct sequel, since it's the UN that sends the spaceship, not a single nation. It's basically Civ 2 but better in every conceivable way. Some extended reading for you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Alpha_Centauri
Major tkr4lf

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 pm

DiM wrote:
Gillipig wrote:One thing I've noticed is how little graphics really matters. If the story is good the game can get away with poor graphics.

sadly this is mostly valid for old gamers.
just look at game sales and you'll see nice graphics and massive marketing are all that matters these days.
youngsters don't have the patience to read elaborate stories, take part in long dialogues or challenge their brain for hours to solve a puzzle. they don't want to explore, they want to be guided, they don't want to read pages of text, they want action and finally they don't want to be challenged, they want everything handed to them on a platter filled with lots of achievements.

Quite true. Which is why the Might and Magic series went to shit. It wasn't worth it to the developer to make a deep game.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

Very much like Civ, and an excellent game.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 pm

NoSurv is playing maplestory but quitting. I love the game, but my GPA is down 10% since I started playing it.... LOL too addicting for me :P
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:29 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:NoSurv is playing maplestory but quitting. I love the game, but my GPA is down 10% since I started playing it.... LOL too addicting for me :P

Never heard of Maplestory...is it about the history of Canada or something?

Postby NoSurvivors on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Woodruff wrote:
NoSurvivors wrote:NoSurv is playing maplestory but quitting. I love the game, but my GPA is down 10% since I started playing it.... LOL too addicting for me :P

.. Make that joke again and it may result in a boot up your ass LOL. Just kiddin mate and no its not ;P
Colonel NoSurvivors

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

.. Make that joke again and it may result in a boot up your ass LOL. Just kiddin mate and no its not ;P

I couldn't resist! <grin>

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm

I'm playing Civilization V and Major League Baseball 2K12 (or 13).

I will go back to Skyrim someday soon I think. I got Skyrimed out.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I'm playing Civilization V and Major League Baseball 2K12 (or 13).

I will go back to Skyrim someday soon I think. I got Skyrimed out.

My favorite glitch:

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby tkr4lf on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Army of GOD wrote:Red Dead is an awesome game tk. One of my favorite video game storylines.

Finally beat it today, and yeah, you're right. It's a damn good game with a damn good story. I was disappointed at first once I beat the final story mission until I realized there was one more stranger mission that let you kill that bastard Ross. Haha, I killed his wife and brother too. Jack has a lot of anger...
Major tkr4lf

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 pm

tkr4lf wrote:

Finally beat it today, and yeah, you're right. It's a damn good game with a damn good story. I was disappointed at first once I beat the final story mission until I realized there was one more stranger mission that let you kill that bastard Ross. Haha, I killed his wife and brother too. Jack has a lot of anger...

RIP John

One of my favorite main characters
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:15 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

RIP John

One of my favorite games of all time - great story, great gameplay. I got a little choked up at the end.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:
tkr4lf wrote:

RIP John

One of my favorite games of all time - great story, great gameplay. I got a little choked up at the end.

It was pretty sad. At least he took some of them with him.

On a happier note, since I'm done with that game I've started messing around with minecraft on the xbox. I always thought it looked dumb, but it's seriously addicting. I've been at it for a couple of days now and I'm still not finished with my enormous 2 story house with attic loft. Unfortunately, there isn't much to put in your house, so aside from a bedroom, a crafting room, and an indoor swimming pool room, the other 6-7 rooms are completely empty, save torches. I'm considering building an underground tunnel from one of the rooms down to the ocean for the hell of it, but I need to wait on that. I'm still working on a roof, which is a serious bitch to build, since I'm building a pitched roof and the damn house is like 200 blocks long by 150 wide. My world will be deforested before too long.

Who would have thought such a simple game could be so much fun?
Major tkr4lf

Postby john9blue on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:05 am

you never stop playing minecraft.

when i bought it... year and a half ago i think... i played it 6-8 hours a day for over a week. just a month ago i got into it again and played for at least 50 hours.

the replay value of that game is ridiculous.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Neoteny on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:54 pm

I do <3 me some minecraft.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,