Conquer Club

The Great Lakes -- [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Night Strike on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:09 pm

Similar to my request on AoM, can this XML be reduced?? By what I gathered from that thread, continents can't be included as components. But can territories??? If so, that would reduce this XML as well.

(By the way, I'm looking at creating a map with a friend, and I would be the one doing the XML, which is why I've been trying to pick up on things.)
Major Night Strike

Re: The Great Lakes -- [Quenched]

Postby #1Buckeye on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:24 pm

This and World 2.1 are my favorite 2 maps
Sergeant 1st Class #1Buckeye

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 am

#1Buckeye wrote:This and World 2.1 are my favorite 2 maps
I am glad you like it.
Major WidowMakers

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:49 am

/agree

This map is a beauty. Everything about it is exemplary of what CC maps should be. Bonuses are perfect, gameplay is perfect, there is excellent scope for moving around, and the graphics are outstanding. Well done WM and Coleman
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Grifter on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 pm

I think I encountered a bug in this map while playing a doubles game. 'This is Game 5586032 round 4. I wanted to reinforce from Ottawa to Lake Erie. I held Ottawa and Cleveland. My partner held Toronto, Windsor, Buffalo, Erie, and Lake Erie. This creates a path. The map would let me reinforce to Toronto only. Is there another reason for this?
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 am

Grifter wrote:I think I encountered a bug in this map while playing a doubles game. 'This is Game 5586032 round 4. I wanted to reinforce from Ottawa to Lake Erie. I held Ottawa and Cleveland. My partner held Toronto, Windsor, Buffalo, Erie, and Lake Erie. This creates a path. The map would let me reinforce to Toronto only. Is there another reason for this?

You cannot fort past your partners first territory in a line. It is the way all maps work with forting.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Grifter on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm

I did not know this and the Game instructions do not state this http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=instructions3. I will create a separate post for this to be updated.
Lieutenant Grifter

The Great Lakes

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:33 pm

I was wondering if we could alter the XML of The Great Lakes Map a bit. I love the map, but when I play i find it's far too easy for someone to start with a bonus holding the lakes. I was going to suggest making them starting points. How do the rest of you feel about it?
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby agentcom on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Well, I realize that this is an old map, but it seems like the positioning of the numbers is off. When players start to get 3-digit troop counts, the numbers appear to be left aligned, rather than centered, over the territ circles.

See Game 10990981 for an example. Every time I look at my Goshen territ, I panic thinking it's been reduced to 13 rather than 131.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Gilligan on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:16 pm

agentcom wrote:Well, I realize that this is an old map, but it seems like the positioning of the numbers is off. When players start to get 3-digit troop counts, the numbers appear to be left aligned, rather than centered, over the territ circles.

See Game 10990981 for an example. Every time I look at my Goshen territ, I panic thinking it's been reduced to 13 rather than 131.

It's like that on every map. Unless you're saying that it's poorly position because it's on the border of Goshen and Toledo/Dayton
Captain Gilligan

Postby agentcom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Gilligan wrote:
agentcom wrote:Well, I realize that this is an old map, but it seems like the positioning of the numbers is off. When players start to get 3-digit troop counts, the numbers appear to be left aligned, rather than centered, over the territ circles.

It's like that on every map. Unless you're saying that it's poorly position because it's on the border of Goshen and Toledo/Dayton

I don't play many games where the troop counts get into the hundreds. Are all 3 digit numbers left aligned with the circle rather than centered? I think that's what you're saying. If so, then I guess the "problem" if any goes beyond this map. I would just think that they would center align the numbers. And yes, the problem occurs when a circle is to close to a border that can look like a number. In this case, the vertical border (which is black) obscures the third number if it is a dark colored 1 or 7 because the number falls outside of the territ circle. But if I'm interpreting you correctly, the problem is not with the map (although the Goshen circle could be moved left), but with the alignment of numbers within the territ circle.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm

agentcom wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

I don't play many games where the troop counts get into the hundreds. Are all 3 digit numbers left aligned with the circle rather than centered? I think that's what you're saying. If so, then I guess the "problem" if any goes beyond this map. I would just think that they would center align the numbers. And yes, the problem occurs when a circle is to close to a border that can look like a number. In this case, the vertical border (which is black) obscures the third number if it is a dark colored 1 or 7 because the number falls outside of the territ circle. But if I'm interpreting you correctly, the problem is not with the map (although the Goshen circle could be moved left), but with the alignment of numbers within the territ circle.

when there's three or more digits, it just stacks from where the two-digit number was. I also imagine this happens often, because color codes add another character (not just specifically with this map)
Captain Gilligan

Previous

Return to The Atlas