Conquer Club

Universe War III V3

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Universe War III V3

Postby Boler on Sat May 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Map Name: Universe War III: The Local Group
Mapmaker(s): Boler
Number of Territories: 86 (24 are Starting Territories)
Special Features: Autodeploys, Killer Neutrals
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: By far the smallest scale map yet on CC. Has unique gameplay which mostly takes place in insets of the central map.

Map Image:
Small 600x630
Version 3:
I tinted the backgrounds of the galaxies, changed the title, and redesigned the title. I need to fix some blurriness in the image.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This map shows all the galaxies nearest to our own, including a large inset for the 4 most important ones; the Milky Way, Andromeda, Triangulum, and NGC 3109. Everyone starts with a certain amount of the 24 minor galaxies in the central map, and then they move into the larger galaxies. The bonus regions are generally small but wide, often having many territories in a row. I made this map because I thought we needed a map that went beyond our own solar system because so far, there isn't one.

Things To Do:
Fix Blurriness
Fix the Frame
Change colouring choice

Version History:
Version 1:
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3111/galaxyrisknumberless.png[/img]
Version 2:
[img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1986/galaxyrisknumberless3.jpg

Last edited by Boler on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Re: Our Local Galactic Group V1

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun May 20, 2012 5:17 am

Rename it - Conquer the Universe
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Boler on Sun May 20, 2012 11:19 am

That does sound a lot better! It's not techincally correct, this map shows 28 of the esimated 1,000,000,000 to 5,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, but graphics/gameplay do come before accuracy. If more people want to change it I'll definately do that. Thanks for the reply!
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby IcePack on Sun May 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Boler wrote:That does sound a lot better! It's not techincally correct, this map shows 28 of the esimated 1,000,000,000 to 5,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, but graphics/gameplay do come before accuracy. If more people want to change it I'll definately do that. Thanks for the reply!

I would like to not discriminate and include all 1-5 B of those galaxies. Get on it! :D

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon May 21, 2012 9:01 am

Boler wrote:That does sound a lot better! It's not techincally correct, this map shows 28 of the esimated 1,000,000,000 to 5,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe, but graphics/gameplay do come before accuracy. If more people want to change it I'll definately do that. Thanks for the reply!

Maybe call it 'Conquer the Universe' or 'Master of the Universe' or similar and have a subtitle on the map about 'the known universe'.

;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 21, 2012 9:56 am

I am generally in support of most space themed maps, but I am not sure I would find myself playing this one...yet.

Best of luck!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Boler on Mon May 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Maybe call it 'Conquer the Universe' or 'Master of the Universe' or similar and have a subtitle on the map about 'the known universe'.

;)

How about Universe War IV and then The Local Group in a subtitle? I'll add name change to the things to do list.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Re: Our Local Galactic Group V2

Postby Boler on Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Version 2:

I changed the size of the black holes and habited systems to the normal 22 pixels and did some other minor fine tuning.
Feedback or suggestions please!

Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Re: Universe War III V3

Postby Boler on Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Version 3:

I tinted the galaxy windows each their own color, and changed and edited the title.

Feedback would be great!
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri May 25, 2012 8:51 pm

i like this man. I hope you stick with it.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Boler on Mon May 28, 2012 12:23 am

I was thinking it might be a good idea if I added to the gameplay by making the black holes connect to each other. At the moment, the gameplay is pretty bland, and the central map has a lot of bottlenecks if someone were to take over one of the larger galaxies. Doing this would make a bit of a "back door" between the centers of all the galaxies, but it would be dangerous to use because you would have to go through 6 neutrals. I'm not an expert nor a veteran at conquer club though, so I would like some feedback before I would think of implementing it.

Suggestions?
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:16 am

Boler wrote:Suggestions?

Here you go then.

Lose the frame. As it is, it takes up way to much room. Room that could be used for game play. :D
Change the layout some. Having the four galaxies in four different windows will cause confusion.
Try two windows only. O:)
Colours are ghastly. That pink looks like fluffy bunny. And cannot be read in the legend. Tone them all down. ;)
A lot of the text is unreadable in the playable areas. Try to get this a lot more clearer.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Boler on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks!
koontz1973 wrote:Lose the frame. As it is, it takes up way to much room. Room that could be used for game play. :D
Change the layout some. Having the four galaxies in four different windows will cause confusion.
Try two windows only. O:)

It's true, the frame takes up way too much room. I should at least shrink it... The problem with removing it completly is that as it is, the frame serves as an inset for the 4 largest galaxies. If I were to remove it, people may not realize that any one of the larger galaxies also has a smaller counterpart in the central map.
koontz1973 wrote:Colours are ghastly. That pink looks like fluffy bunny. And cannot be read in the legend. Tone them all down. ;)

I can tone the colours down fairly easily, and I know the legend and the playable area text is almost illegible, I'll fix that when I do something about the frame to make the areas larger, and the fonts bigger.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

You seem to of started with the small map. Can I suggest you leave this for now and start doing the big map. It is easier to scale down than to scale up.
Do make the frame smaller by half.
If I were to remove it, people may not realize that any one of the larger galaxies also has a smaller counterpart in the central map.

The central part, do you mean that is a playable area? or is it a mini map?

Gimp or photoshop?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Boler on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:53 pm

koontz1973 wrote:You seem to of started with the small map. Can I suggest you leave this for now and start doing the big map. It is easier to scale down than to scale up.

Yes, I could do that. I started with the small map to make sure everything would fit in.
koontz1973 wrote:The central part, do you mean that is a playable area? or is it a mini map?

Playable area. In fact, the central area is the main map, the 4 corner galaxies are just zooms of 4 of the galaxies in the center (You can see them, they're all underlined). All the galaxies that do not have corresponding insets would have an army circle next to them in the central map, if that makes any sense.
koontz1973 wrote:Gimp or photoshop?

Neither. I use Paint.NET
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Boler wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:The central part, do you mean that is a playable area? or is it a mini map?

Playable area. In fact, the central area is the main map, the 4 corner galaxies are just zooms of 4 of the galaxies in the center (You can see them, they're all underlined). All the galaxies that do not have corresponding insets would have an army circle next to them in the central map, if that makes any sense.

OK, now I am completely confused.
If the playable area is in the centre, why is is so small?
As the zoomed areas playable as well?
Why have 5 windows of playability?
Please try and help me understand.

Boler wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Gimp or photoshop?

Neither. I use Paint.NET

Not sure you will get the required graphics out of this programme. :-s
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Boler on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

koontz1973 wrote:OK, now I am completely confused.
Please try and help me understand.

I suppose I should of explained this a little better in the introduction of the map...

There are 24 starting territories, and they are all in the central map. Basically, every galaxy that doesn't have it's name underlined is a starting territory. The galaxies that do have underlines have an inset, because they are considerably more large than any of the non-underlined galaxies in real life and in the map.

The objective is, from your starting galaxies in the center, to move into any one of the 4 larger ones and establish a "base", from which you would proceed to attempt to conquer all the other galaxies. Every territory in the 4 larger galaxies would start with neutrals.

koontz1973 wrote:If the playable area is in the centre, why is is so small?
As the zoomed areas playable as well?
Why have 5 windows of playability?

The playable area in the center is small because there isn't enough room to make it larger. I have tested it, and all the army 88s would fit in though it is tight. I will definatly expand it.

Yes, all 5 windows are playable, this is what I feel makes the map intresting, but that's just personal taste. I could understand where people would be coming from if they say that's too confusing.

koontz1973 wrote:Not sure you will get the required graphics out of this programme. :-s

I think I could if I put time into it. Paint.NET is easy to work with, and it has all the required tools, Layers, Blurs, Noise, Glows, Bevel, Emboss, etc.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby Boler on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:59 pm

On another note, I haven't lost intrest in this map, but I'm going on a vacation for a while, and won't be able to work on this map for possibly quite a while.

I request it to be moved to the Recycling Bin for Abandonment until further notice.
Sergeant 1st Class Boler

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:12 pm

[Moved]

As per map makers request.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas