Conquer Club

Ireland map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:53 pm

it doesnt let me play...
Captain Gilligan

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:17 pm

It's not added to the site for live play yet. Check the devlopmental atlas for which maps are near completion and which are awaiting addition to the site.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby strike wolf on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:23 pm

So can you give us any information on when it will be ready?
Cadet strike wolf

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 pm

Yep. When lack has the time. ;) That's the official response always. But hopefully this weekend.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby strike wolf on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:27 pm

sounds good.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby Stopper on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:24 pm

Can't wait. I'd love to play this, if only because it's so gorgeous.
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby Villains on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:05 am

*bump*
just a reminder.....can't wait to play this one!
Sergeant 1st Class Villains

Postby tiger47 on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:43 am

Why was this quenched before the Middle Earth map and not available yet?
Corporal tiger47

Postby kevinc on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 am

I was away, and lack needed me to agree to a copyright statement.
I only got back yesterday and replied to him, so I'd imagine it will be up shortly.
Corporal kevinc

Postby kevinc on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:58 am

This map is live now - yay!

I've set up two games for any Irish players out there who want to give it a whirl:

Game 44851 (flat rate) & Game 44852 (escalating)

Password: eurovision :)
Corporal kevinc

Postby Boxcutta on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:06 pm

Sorry I'm late to the feedback party Kevin and Andy. Just some friendly criticism of an otherwise great map - the colors are way too similar and too faint. Very hard to tell what "continents" are worth if you don't know Ulster is in the North, etc.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Boxcutta

Postby kevinc on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:29 am

Hi all,

I've just added some directional marks to the legend for people who are having trouble with the colours. Hopefully it'll help any new people, or people who are colour blind.

Also, straightened up Cork for you pedro! :)

Andy, large & small images are at the same locations as before if you want to pass them on to Lack.

http://www.multiblah.com/cc_tester/Ireland.L.jpg
http://www.multiblah.com/cc_tester/Ireland.S.jpg
Corporal kevinc

Postby rocksolid on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:37 pm

I liked it better when Cork was crooked. All the people in Cork are crooked, so why shouldn't the name be, as well?
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby john123 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:51 pm

rocksolid wrote:I liked it better when Cork was crooked. All the people in Cork are crooked, so why shouldn't the name be, as well?

He raises a good point, it looks like there's a lot of empty space now but i wouldn't bother goin changing it back
Sergeant 1st Class john123

Postby kevinc on Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:09 pm

You know what, you two are right. I've changed it back! :)
Corporal kevinc

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:50 pm

why does the large map have a border but the small one doesnt?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby kevinc on Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:12 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:why does the large map have a border but the small one doesnt?

Cause it's smaller, and it was better to have no border and a larger game area so everything's clearer.
Corporal kevinc

Postby happysadfun on Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:07 am

connaught should have a higher bonus than midlands, ulster and ossory's bonuses should be switched
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Better Ireland map

Postby tonyf12 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:01 am

I am from Ireland and see a few problems with your Ireland map.

What is Ossory? It doesn't exist. That place on your map is part of East Munster(Waterford and Tippeary) and South Leinster(The Rest)
The Pale is too big. It was parts Dublin and at it's furthest expansion included parts of Meath and Kildare but no more.
Munster is worth too little points when the region next too it with 1 more country is worth 3 times the points.

Hope they help inprove the map.
Cadet tonyf12

Postby pancakemix on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 am

This belongs in the map foundry
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Lukejoppa14 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:11 pm

the center 'midlands' i think should have a namechange. That area was called Meath and that would be more accurate. In Meath there was Tara which was the seat of the high kings of Ireland you might consider making Tara a country or renaming one Tara. Hope that helps a bit
Private 1st Class Lukejoppa14

Postby tonyf12 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:11 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'll start off with just a few things,

~~Visual Appeal~~

---Definitely one of the better maps I've seen for visual quality. The colors are well chosen, though perhaps a little more of them in each continent, just to alleviate any problems there may be in deciphering the current borders. Most maps seem almost too dark, this one has the opposite problem. It feels almost to light and bright. Along with adding a touch more color to the continents, perhaps the water would benefit from an increase also. Also, I love the font chosen.

---Legend could be a little larger. The names of the continents should be very easily read. Is there any particular reason you chose the reverse alphabetical order? Perhaps another order of decreasing/increasing bonus or moving down the map would be better suited.

---And I think you were going in the right direction removing the continent names from the continents themselves, though I think it could work. Obviously some of the country names could be increased in size. Cork, Kerry, Laois, etc. Obviously some can't be increased in size, but the ones that could do need a fontular (nice made up word) boost.

---Border thickness between the countries should be amplified a bit. As it stands the are merely faint lines, and perhaps a boldness would increase the appeal.

P.S. there is some weird light blue line on Louth, near the Bay.

====================================

~~~Nitty Gritty~~~

---I count only 32 countries. This kind of is a rough number. To keep the map small as you currently have it, 36 would be a better number to shoot for, and there are many obvious spots for the few extra countries. 36 countries will have only have 1 scenario for neutral countries, rather than 3. Places for the added countries: Split up Galway, and perhaps Mayo. Cork and Kerry can also be split. This would give you the great *36* countries. But in adding countries to those continents there is nearly an elimination of a small continent. Perhaps one should be added to either Ulster or Leinster.

---Ulster~~ 10 Countries; 4 Borders; 4 Attack routes. As it stands on the map it is doing alright. Justification is there for 5.

---Munster~~ 6 Countries; 3 Borders; 5 Attack routes. Adding the 2 countries within its borders would then make it 8 countries. I think if that is done it would help increase a little playability of the map, without drastically changing it. Bonus of 4 would be alright.

--Leinster~~ 11 Countries; 7 Borders; 5 Attack routes. This continent currently is in havoc. 7 borders barely justifies the 7 bonus. Easily you could knock off the Westmeath border, and Wexford. that would knock it down to 5 borders and 7 attack routes. With the continent that way a bonus of 6 would do, but maybe a 7.

---Connaught~~ 5 Countries; 2 Borders; 5 attack routes. This continent is absurd. A bonus of 5 is way too high. Knock that down to 3, maybe even an argument for 2, but surely no more than 3. If a country or two was added to get to the magic 36 number, I think 3 would still be a workable bonus.

============================================

Overall this is a great looking map. I think you did well using the impassable border toward the center of the map. Obviously this map is more smaller games, due to the only 4 continents, but I still could see a lot of fun being had on this map. Keep working on it, don't be in a haste to release it until it's done. Always my final advice. ;)

Edit: And I thought that too Grim, about the apostrophe. I went and checked a few other maps, and it seemed common to leave it out.

Second Edit: Obviously I'm still working on the whole analysis thing. Thanks for the heads up Marv.

--Andy

There is ONLY 32 counties
Cadet tonyf12

Re: Better Ireland map

Postby Kahless on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:50 am

tonyf12 wrote:What is Ossory? It doesn't exist. That place on your map is part of East Munster(Waterford and Tippeary) and South Leinster(The Rest)

From Wikipedia

The Kingdom of Osraige (also spelt Ossory, Osraighe or Osraighibh), was an ancient kingdom of Ireland. It was largely a buffer state between Leinster and Munster, yet one that retained its independence, at least nominally, well into the historic era. Its southern border were the Suir and Barrow rivers, though it originally extended to the sea and its rulers had some influence over the Norse kings of Waterford. In the north it may have once stretched over the Slieve Bloom and reached the river Shannon, but in the historic era it generally stayed to the south of these mountions, the boundary generally being the river Nore.

In a clockwise direction (starting at 12:00) it was bordered by the kingdoms or lordships of Ele, Ui Duach, Loigis, Ui Drona, Uí Cheinnselaig, Desi Mumhain, and Eóganachta Caisel.

Its main town and dynastic capital was Kilkenny.

The name Osraige is said to be from the Usdaie, a tribe that Ptolemy's map of Ireland places in roughly the same area that Osraige would later occupy. Other tribes in the vicinity were the Brigantes and the Cauci. The Osraighe themselves claimed to be descended from the Érainn people.

The name was preserved in the Roman Catholic Bishopric of Ossory. Modern day County Kilkenny and part of west County Laois comprise the core area of what was this kingdom.
Cook Kahless

Postby khazalid on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:59 pm

somebody seems to have bumped this...

anyway - nicest map on cc by miles
Lieutenant khazalid

Previous

Return to The Atlas