Conquer Club

CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [23.6.12] V8-P5

Postby Oneyed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:44 pm

cairnswk wrote:drunk eh? well, no use arguing with someone who is drunk. ;)

why not? for example I (drunk or not) like your Trafalgar... ;)
cairnswk wrote:as stated initially it was written as MockBa but using the Kremlin (not Cyrillic)font, so in fact it is correct as it is.

if you can use Kremlin, ok. but in Kremlin you wrote Moskba. becasue as I wrote, Kremlin has order A, B, C, D. so maybe better will be to use KremlinĀ“s "v", which is behind "u" in order.

cairnswk wrote:you are welcome to post suggestions anytime. :)

and you in every mine :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:52 pm

I agree with Oneye about the title. I don't know the font you're using, but does it have a normal looking M that you could use? The M you're sing is an up-side down Shcha.
And the name is spelled with a V not a B, so it should read "Moskva". It's just that the Cyrillic V looks like the Latin B.
Major tokle

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [24.6.12] V9-P6

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:03 pm

tokle wrote:I agree with Oneye about the title. I don't know the font you're using, but does it have a normal looking M that you could use? The M you're sing is an up-side down Shcha.
And the name is spelled with a V not a B, so it should read "Moskva". It's just that the Cyrillic V looks like the Latin B.

tokle...i thought you wanted MockBa..."try this: MockBa"...i know it should be Moskva...but i get the impression that you both want MockBa...so

Anyways...this is version 9.
1. the title has been changed to MockBa in Kremlin font...i fon't think the "up-side down Shcha" is out of place except to those who are trying to read this in Cyrillic?
2. A plaque appears at the bottom for bonus legend
3. the bridges have been altered and more stylised.
4. the inner ring impassable has been bevelled

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Oneyed wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:...
This is a stupid thing to argue about right now. Graphics are next and it may all change. :roll:

cairnswk wrote:correct koontz1973

I am drunk now, to be honest totaly drunk,but what is stupid about care to have somethig corect?

It is not stupid to care about something, but stupid to argue over something that may change in the graphics part of the foundry. As for the title myself, here are my thoughts on it.

Mockba, no matter how it is spelt or written, will not be recognised by 99% of conquer club players.
Moscow or Moskva are far more recognisable and like the current title, are correct. While these may be the English name and spelling for the city, they are correct. Another point for these two is that the rest of the map is in English. And before anyone says this is a stupid point as I have my maps (MagyarorszƔg) in Hungarian, this is completely different.
Out of the three titles here, the two English spellings have many points over Mockba, that it would be appropriate to have one of them instead.
Moscow.
English spelling that is recognisable by all players.
Spelt this way on the classic map (this is a classic cities map)
Rest of map is in English
Browse games/start a game pages, it will be written correctly.
Moskva.
English spelling that is recognisable by most players.
Mockba.
Correct if you are Russian and as we only have 14 on the site, this is not really a major
thing. :P

I cannot see any reason why this map would be called Mockba apart from if the map maker wishes it to be called that. As for the back and forth over the title, do not push your ideas onto someone Oneyed whether drunk or not. Make a suggestion, if it is not picked up, so what, you have done what you feel would help the map, but in the end that is all you can do when it is not your map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Oneyed on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:08 am

koontz1973 wrote:It is not stupid to care about something, but stupid to argue over something that may change in the graphics part of the foundry.

I found that graphics is discused all time of map development to the point when map has Graphics stamp.
koontz1973 wrote:Mockba, no matter how it is spelt or written, will not be recognised by 99% of conquer club players.

so this is your answer why it would be written incorrect? 99% of players will also not recognized that you had mistakes in Hungarian text in your map, but you edited them after notices of Hungarians...
koontz1973 wrote:Moscow or Moskva are far more recognisable and like the current title, are correct. While these may be the English name and spelling for the city, they are correct. Another point for these two is that the rest of the map is in English.

And before anyone says this is a stupid point as I have my maps (MagyarorszƔg) in Hungarian, this is completely different.

what is different to have map in Hungarian and Russian?
koontz1973 wrote:Moscow.
English spelling that is recognisable by all players.
Spelt this way on the classic map (this is a classic cities map)
Moskva.
English spelling that is recognisable by most players.

yes, if title will be in English there would be no problem with spelling.
koontz1973 wrote:Mockba.
Correct if you are Russian and as we only have 14 on the site, this is not really a major
thing. :P

so because there are "only" 14 Russians you can piss off their language? how pedantic are you (English speaking men) when there is any mistake in English text (for example when I missed "the" in the text)...
did you count also Serbs? Greeks? Ukrainians? or other people from what was USSR?
koontz1973 wrote:do not push your ideas onto someone Oneyed whether drunk or not. Make a suggestion, if it is not picked up, so what, you have done what you feel would help the map, but in the end that is all you can do when it is not your map.

this is not "my idea", what is correct in Cyrilic or not. this is just Cyrilic...

koontz, I found you as very helpfull man in the foundry, but sometimes you ignore history.

cairnswk, my last notice for title. I see that you change rest of font in the map. why not to use Cyrilic for title, Kremlin is now also different from the rest of text.
to be honest, I like how you used Kremlin in the rest of the map and I understand that you can have something what looks like Cyrilic, but is readable.

good luck with this. everybody who did so great map as Trafalgar deserve support :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [24.6.12] V`0-P6

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:24 am

OK decision made...sorry Oneyed and tokle...but the title will be changed back to Mosocw and in the Corbel font.
not more arguing...all in English. period.

Version 10.

Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [24.6.12] V10-P6

Postby tokle on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:45 am

I don't have a problem with it being in English. I was just saying that if you were writing it in cyrillic you should have it written correctly. If you're not able to do that, then it's better like it is now.
Major tokle

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 am

tokle wrote:I don't have a problem with it being in English. I was just saying that if you were writing it in cyrillic you should have it written correctly. If you're not able to do that, then it's better like it is now.

Thanks tokle. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:59 am

Carrying on with the title (nice to see Moscow ;) ) and frame effect, it might be nice if the title was a tad smaller with bars running up and down to hold it in place. Similar to Rail Asia but a lot smaller.

Painting top right does not sit will with the other 3 but that might be as it is a lot darker than the others.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:34 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Carrying on with the title (nice to see Moscow ;) ) and frame effect, it might be nice if the title was a tad smaller with bars running up and down to hold it in place. Similar to Rail Asia but a lot smaller.

koontz...i have to say i'm not with you on this one...i don't feel it needs any bars, and in fact adding bars may overwork it...all the letters of the title connect to the outer frame so everything is already held in place sts...

Painting top right does not sit will with the other 3 but that might be as it is a lot darker than the others.

it is a little dark...i'll see if i can find another that is more daylight :)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 am

cairnswk wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Carrying on with the title (nice to see Moscow ;) ) and frame effect, it might be nice if the title was a tad smaller with bars running up and down to hold it in place. Similar to Rail Asia but a lot smaller.

koontz...i have to say i'm not with you on this one...i don't feel it needs any bars, and in fact adding bars may overwork it...all the letters of the title connect to the outer frame so everything is already held in place sts...

OK, but can you get the title to sit on the frame, so make it a tad bigger. With the bevels added, it should stand out enough from the frame to be able to be read. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:30 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

OK, but can you get the title to sit on the frame, so make it a tad bigger. With the bevels added, it should stand out enough from the frame to be able to be read. ;)

i've moved to sit atop the frame and it is a tad bigger...but it is legible as far as i can tell...so doing this has nothing to do making it more legible. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Those new bridges are sweet.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:Those new bridges are sweet.

Excellent, thanks for the thumbs up
Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [4.6.12] V6-P3

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:11 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Just thought I would pop in and see. Here is a short list for you to look at but I am sure you already know these.
This is the area that I thought was great and needed copying all around.

Yes, and i had already changed that in the Outer Khamovniki territory and asked for feedback a couple of posts back.

Still waiting for a reply from koontz1973 on this one :!
...and waiting!
Private cairnswk

Re: CLASSIC CITIES: Moscow [26.6.12] V11-P7

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Version 11.

1. Title moved above the frame
2. image top right replaced.

Private cairnswk

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm

I think it was good decision to make all map in English.

the bridges look nice, but I think the map is from modern era and they look as stone/wood bridges. maybe something modern or any of Moscow bridges should be better?
just idea.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Oneyed wrote:I think it was good decision to make all map in English.

the bridges look nice, but I think the map is from modern era and they look as stone/wood bridges. maybe something modern or any of Moscow bridges should be better?
just idea.
Oneyed

Oneyed...i looked at all the bridges in Moscow and i think what i have represents a stylized version of bridges. Most of the bridges have some sort of arch under or over the bridge and it is difficult to make one particular bridge "fit all"...so i am happy with what i have. Thank-you for the idea though. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 pm

We'll go ahead and get this one moved up to Graphics.

Congrats cairns!
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:We'll go ahead and get this one moved up to Graphics.

Congrats cairns!

Thank-you for stamp nolefan5311 :)
Is iancanton happy with this gameplay before i start on graphics re-arrangement?
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I assume so. He hasn't posted with any concerns.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:29 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I assume so. He hasn't posted with any concerns.

Ah, assume? Can we get some clarification that he is happy with gameplay please...before moving this...i don't really want to be premature with it and have to do some stuff again. Thanks for your help though. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I've pm'ed him about it and posted in the CA forums that I was getting ready to stamp it. You can PM him yourself and let him know you're not ready to move on to the next stage until you hear from him though. There's not really much more I can do.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I've pm'ed him about it and posted in the CA forums that I was getting ready to stamp it. You can PM him yourself and let him know you're not ready to move on to the next stage until you hear from him though. There's not really much more I can do.

OK.
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am

cairnswk, these areas are now good in my opinion but you do need to polish them all up.

Title, good to see the whole thing now. But needs the polish. :)
Picture (top right) far better. Bottom rights sky is too light, darken that with some blue. ;)
Bridges, some of the best and really work with this style. =D>

The rest of the map, and that is everything, will need to be gone over with a fine tooth comb, changed altered and just generally brought up to standard. Sorry to be blunt about that. O:)
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas