Conquer Club

Democracy Game?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Like any of these themes?

The American Revolution
11%
1930s American Senate
7%
Ethiopian Civil War
No votes
International Cold War
37%
Reality Show
11%
Make your own factions
19%
Tribal life
15%

Total votes : 27

Democracy Game?

Postby / on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I was thinking about a certain idea for a game the other day, if we can vote to kill, why not other things?
Basically there would be several vanilla factions trying to kill each other instead of any one town majority, (depending on how large the game was, these factions may be ignorant to who is a member like town is and have secret ballots to determine how the night kills go out) each players would get an allowance of points to propose bills with. (Haven’t really worked out if these would replenish or not)
The bills themselves would require a set amount of points to propose, escalating depending on how much they would affect the game.

Then I would put out what is proposed, for example:
PMC proposed bill giving him one shot cop investigation (2 points)
Vodean, Mr. Squirrel, and strike wolf pool points together to propose the Red faction and Yellow faction merge members (30 points)
TA1LGUNN3R proposes shieldgenerator7's alignment be publically revealed (5 points)

And the players would vote on each issue (publically or by secret ballot I haven’t decided, but public would help players schmooze and bribe their way to alliances), and each bill would pass or fail depending on the voting majority

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated, Vodean co-modding

1. 1776, the American Revolution; small organized British faction trying to eliminate two ideologically opposed rebel factions, with the help of a disorganized loyalist faction.

2.1930s America, battle for the senate; elect a small voting minority, and one to become your president, democrats, fascists, communists, and republicans, some want total power, some just want to survive

3. Ethiopian civil war; can the government keep the rebels at bay? Perhaps the communists will seize power? Will the common people even survive this bloody war? And who will the youth side with?

4. Cold war, each player is a country, plots intrigue and more will this lead to the domination, or end of this world?

5. Reality Show; You are a contestant on a new reality show, use your points to form alliances, get ahead in the game, or just make others look stupid, who will win?

6. Make your own factions; what do you fight for? Really I'm asking, because I don't know, make up whatever crazy idea you want, and try to win votes for your cause, you decide everything, make it or break it.

7. Tribal life; a group of barbarians finally starting civilization, everyone is out for themselves, but still must obey the words of the majority, what seeds do you sow? What legacy will you leave? A nameless lackey, the first king, or a defeated martyr
Last edited by / on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Re: Democracy Game?

Postby aage on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Great idea, but no. I don't think this is going to work. I've played with a lot of alternative Mafia scenarios in my head for years, and there are two things I always find: the game is unbalanced or impossible to play, or it is in no way really Mafia any more.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby vodean on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:56 pm

if all the factions were trying to kill a single, better-informed, but smaller mafia, as well as eachother, it could work. i would love to try and help out and toy with the ideas. we could also bring in a real-life scenario (i have a few in mind). it may be a little less like mafia, but should be fun to play nonetheless. if you will have me of course.
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:59 pm

It'll probably be unbalanced like hell, but I would try it. If only because I am studying political history and philosophy.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby / on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:12 pm

vodean wrote:if all the factions were trying to kill a single, better-informed, but smaller mafia, as well as eachother, it could work. i would love to try and help out and toy with the ideas. we could also bring in a real-life scenario (i have a few in mind). it may be a little less like mafia, but should be fun to play nonetheless. if you will have me of course.

Yeah sure, sounds fun, PM me some time.

And tell me if you want to be full co mod or just help out with the setup, because depending on how open it is helping make it might not disqualify players. (I really need a co-mod to help with vote counts and stuff though since I may be less active)
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Unbalanced doesn't really matter, I'd play and propose ridiculous bills. PR's anyone? :mrgreen:
Captain safariguy5

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 pm

as long as everybody has fun doing it who cares if it's unbalanced or too far away from the classic mafia?
i say give it a go. if it works... great. and if it doesn't, then at least you tried and had fun doing it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Iron Butterfly on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:29 am

safariguy5 wrote:Unbalanced doesn't really matter, I'd play and propose ridiculous bills. PR's anyone? :mrgreen:

thats funny

yes I will try this "grand experiment" as well.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby aage on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:27 am

DiM wrote:as long as everybody has fun doing it who cares if it's unbalanced or too far away from the classic mafia?

If you're not on the imba team you won't have fun, though. Losing because of balance issues is just a serious pain. If you win, you will have fun though, if only to gloat your victory.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby zimmah on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:32 am

seems quite difficult, but fun.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:52 am

aage wrote:
DiM wrote:as long as everybody has fun doing it who cares if it's unbalanced or too far away from the classic mafia?

If you're not on the imba team you won't have fun, though. Losing because of balance issues is just a serious pain. If you win, you will have fun though, if only to gloat your victory.

i have no idea what an imba team is.

but anyway, even if i lose because of balance issues that doesn't stop me from having fun. simply participating and analyzing and coming up with long theories about who's who and what we should do is fun enough for me.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby aage on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 am

DiM wrote:
aage wrote:

but anyway, even if i lose because of balance issues that doesn't stop me from having fun. simply participating and analyzing and coming up with long theories about who's who and what we should do is fun enough for me.

imba is an acronym for imbalanced. So if you're in the underpowered team, you're gonna have a bad time.

I have a question on the idea though, /, you give examples of issues people can vote on, but I wonder how that would work. Everyone has a vote, so the town (everyone, since there seems to be a lack of scum) votes on things but no-one dies. How does the game end?
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby vodean on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

aage wrote:
DiM wrote:
aage wrote:

imba is an acronym for imbalanced. So if you're in the underpowered team, you're gonna have a bad time.

I have a question on the idea though, /, you give examples of issues people can vote on, but I wonder how that would work. Everyone has a vote, so the town (everyone, since there seems to be a lack of scum) votes on things but no-one dies. How does the game end?

through night actions people die. then each side is trying to take full control over the government perhaps.

/ and i are working on gameplay and set-up. i guarantee an interesting experience, and if you focus less on the balance of the game and more on the fun of playing this game, it should definitely be fun.
Sergeant vodean

Postby pmchugh on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 am

Sounds good to me!
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby new guy1 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I like the idea. It would be complicated, but once you got a solid idea and we tried it out a few times it could become a new genre of mafia, which would be nice to have both versions of the game. I say give it a whirl, and I would say I would try it but I have no idea where Im going to be when it starts up.:P
Sergeant new guy1

Postby / on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Alright, so we've been tossing around a few ideas, and vodean will be a co mod.

We've decided to let you all have your first vote, decide on the theme!
If you want to suggest something too go ahead, poll coming a bit later

1. 1776, the American Revolution; small organized British faction trying to eliminate two ideologically opposed rebel factions, with the help of a disorganized loyalist faction.

2.1930s America, battle for the senate; elect a small voting minority, and one to become your president, democrats, fascists, communists, and republicans, some want total power, some just want to survive

3. Ethiopian civil war; can the government keep the rebels at bay? Perhaps the communists will seize power? Will the common people even survive this bloody war? And who will the youth side with?

4. Cold war, each player is a country, plots intrigue and more will this lead to the domination, or end of this world?

5. Reality Show; You are a contestant on a new reality show, use your points to form alliances, get ahead in the game, or just make others look stupid, who will win?

6. Make your own factions; what do you fight for? Really I'm asking, because I don't know, make up whatever crazy idea you want, and try to win votes for your cause, you decide everything, make it or break it.

7. Tribal life; a group of barbarians finally starting civilization, everyone is out for themselves, but still must obey the words of the majority, what seeds do you sow? What legacy will you leave? A nameless lackey, the first king, or a defeated martyr
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 pm

cold war ftw.

duck and cover your asses cause my nuke is bigger than yours :twisted:
Major DiM

Postby sempaispellcheck on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:03 pm

This sounds like it could be a really cool idea.
I would be in, but I'd like to have a few "traditional" games under my belt first before going in on something new like this.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Can we do a cold war game where we each choose which country we represent? (a mix of choices 4 and 6) That way we could form our own soviet or capitalist blocs.

In all seriousness, I just want to see Sealand take over the world.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby / on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:12 pm

A mix sounds good to me, it would shift focus away from the name claim aspect of the game.
I still want Soviet Russia jokes though...

In Soviet Russia, snowball throws you!
In Russia, mafia IS town!
In Soviet Russia, polls vote for you!

I'll make another poll if cold war wins.
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby vodean on Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:06 pm

/ wrote:A mix sounds good to me, it would shift focus away from the name claim aspect of the game.

dude you have no idea just how true all of those are
Sergeant vodean

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:26 am

/ wrote:A mix sounds good to me, it would shift focus away from the name claim aspect of the game.

I like the cold war/make your own faction mix. Voted for Faction, but I also support Cold War.
Captain safariguy5

Return to Mafia Discussions