Conquer Club

Map Foundry Gallery

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Map Foundry Gallery

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Nice work and thank you for all the time this took.

I would suggest (though I know it is too late) that complexity be defined or refined.

Some maps are incredibly deep in game play because they are wide open with a few well placed bombardments and high neutrals (for example), and then some maps read like darn heiroglyphics.

So Complexity can be both a positive and a negative. I myself am not even sure what you are looking for in that catagory.

One other thing I would do (not too late for this) Make a 'view' that is non-graphical. For many of us, we know the maps WELL, we do not need the graphics, laying it out on a line by line basis would save a lot of time.

Ok one last thing, I would talk lack into making this tied to a medal or achievement... Everyone gets a gen contribution award if they rank every map they are cross-mapped in.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Lack is watching the Gallery closely, and has already communicated some improvements to thenobodies80 I believe that could be done so we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website.

--Andy

NIce, now that's entirely positive :)

positive? what's positive about that?

new xml features were promised to be implemented "within a few months" and yet years have passed and those promises haven't been honoured.

so saying "we could investigate more about integrating something like this into the website" is just a polite way of saying "we'll never have such a thing on CC"
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

^^^ Oh yea of little faith!
Of course its positive now by making that statement, it only becomes negative if nothing gets done. ;)
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Well DiM.. while I agree with you, I see a bunch of guys that worked their asses off here to do something positive with little reward. I cannot get negative in this thread. Until lack sees loss of revenues that are substantial I believe that it will be the community that does stuff like this. IT is what it is.

But I do agree with you.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:00 am

I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 am

ender516 wrote:I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.

You are my new knight in shining armour ender516. o/\o
=D> =D>
I found all the stuff about features that i was wanting right up to before Stalingrad - only have to re-do descriptions for some of them. Yeehah!!
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 am

ender516 wrote:I have found limited access to a snapshot of chipv's Map Database via the Wayback Machine. Go to http://web.archive.org , enter http://chipv.freehostia.com/ in the search field and press the Take Me Back button. The snapshot does not give you everything, but there is some information that can be recovered.

Wow! Great. Thank you very much. :D
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 am

Happy to help. It would be a shame for all that information to have been lost.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 am

ender516 wrote:Happy to help. It would be a shame for all that information to have been lost.

Exactly, that why i am now making my own copy in spreadsheet of my stuff.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm

tnb80, here are my additions and adjustments in the attached text file.
Attachments
description adjustments submitted 20 Apr 2012.txt
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 906 times
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby bedub1 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 pm

I posted this as a suggestion years ago. Glad to see somebody did it, even though CC didn't. It's good work, but not nearly where it could be if it was integrated into the site properly. Just goes to show that the best part of CC isn't CC, it's the add-ons. Without the add-ons, CC is a waste of time. Well, okay, it's a waste of time anyway.
Colonel bedub1

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 am

cairnswk wrote:tnb80, here are my additions and adjustments in the attached text file.

Thanks, going to update the data. :)

If someone else find something wrong or soemthing that can be updated, please post here.
I consider the current version like a Beta version, so all contributes to refine/improve it are really welcome! :)

Postby x-raider on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks a heap for making this.
Nice background btw.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby bedub1 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Your pages should be linked to here:
And should also be linked here:
And should replace this:
Click image to enlarge.

It should be the most prominent part of CC when new visitors come to the site. The maps make the game. The gameplay styles determine how you play the game on the maps. I can't believe this information is buried so far down.

You should include links to the forums where the maps where developed.
You should include basic strategy on the maps so n00bs don't get farmed.
I think it would be cool if there was a page like the current "browse maps" page that shows all the maps at once.
Colonel bedub1

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:03 am

a table of relevent info that could be sorted high to low, low to high would be good.

it would have total number of territories, starting territories for 2/3/4/5/6/7/8.

maybe some other info.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 pm

we were saying about add some more items.
The special features, number of territories and starting drop are already there, just you can find them on the map pages.
If there's interest I can add them also in different way, i think you would like to have them all in one place to pick up maps considering a X criteria to play games or run a tournament. Right?
Then I think that there are different ways to implement this.
I think i can produce a couple of draft during the weekend so we can decide what way it's the best to follow and you can understand better what i'm saying. ;)
Now, what elements you would like to see in those pages/list?
Number of regions, special features (if yes which one?), starting drop (what criteris do you need for this?), anything else?

remember just one thing, i want to keep it simple....too tricky things require lot of time and they are hard to be updated or changed if necessary O:)

Let me know :)
Nobodies

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:00 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Now, what elements you would like to see in those pages/list?
Number of regions, special features (if yes which one?), starting drop (what criteris do you need for this?), anything else?

all these things you added there. I think that something as recommended settings could be fine. I found much maps where are killer neutrals, but killer neutrals do not work with Trench. and some of maps which have killer neutrals lost with trench their aim. for example King´s Court - here is King as killer neutral which is only one region which can assault any Castle. in trench it is not possible.

so somehting like this would be great.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:... about add some more items.
....number of territories...
Nobodies

What would be great is if these number of territories could be added as a sortable feature to the "new game", "join a game" and your gallery pages.
If it can't be added to these pages, then perhaps it can be added in to the database of the map names drop list field as in:
Classic (42)
Doodle Earth (18)
so that every map has the number of territories included behind the name.
This would enable players to chose maps for play from the number of territories also so they could see if the game is likely to be short or long play.
Just another suggestion for improvement.
Private cairnswk

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:54 pm

someone recently wanted to run a tournament on maps where everyone started with 8 terits. i had to view each and every map to create a list. so for me i would like to see total terits and starting terits. maybe a yes/no for special features. if the map's name was a hyperlink it would be easy to flick to the map for an indepth look at the special gameplay
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby ender516 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Oneyed wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:Now, what elements you would like to see in those pages/list?

all these things you added there. I think that something as recommended settings could be fine. I found much maps where are killer neutrals, but killer neutrals do not work with Trench. and some of maps which have killer neutrals lost with trench their aim. for example King´s Court - here is King as killer neutral which is only one region which can assault any Castle. in trench it is not possible.

so somehting like this would be great.

Oneyed

I just want to point out that killer neutrals are treated as an exception under trench warfare rules: if you capture a killer neutral territory, you can then continue to attack beyond the killer neutral territory, where with any other territory, you would be forced to stop.

Postby Oneyed on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:33 am

ender516 wrote:I just want to point out that killer neutrals are treated as an exception under trench warfare rules: if you capture a killer neutral territory, you can then continue to attack beyond the killer neutral territory, where with any other territory, you would be forced to stop.

did not know this. so therefore I lost so much trench games... :lol:
thanks ender.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:19 am

greenoaks wrote:someone recently wanted to run a tournament on maps where everyone started with 8 terits. i had to view each and every map to create a list. so for me i would like to see total terits and starting terits. maybe a yes/no for special features. if the map's name was a hyperlink it would be easy to flick to the map for an indepth look at the special gameplay

So a multi-selection page where you set some things and then the result is displayed as a list. So a sort of gamefinder page but about maps instead of games...
It was good to ask because I thought you wanted something different. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I need to make a couple of changes (or better add a couple of things) but it seems feasible.

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:19 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:someone recently wanted to run a tournament on maps where everyone started with 8 terits. i had to view each and every map to create a list. so for me i would like to see total terits and starting terits. maybe a yes/no for special features. if the map's name was a hyperlink it would be easy to flick to the map for an indepth look at the special gameplay

So a multi-selection page where you set some things and then the result is displayed as a list. So a sort of gamefinder page but about maps instead of games...
It was good to ask because I thought you wanted something different. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I need to make a couple of changes (or better add a couple of things) but it seems feasible.

actually i did want something different. with the other way i could hit the sort button for the relevant field's title and scroll down.

i don't mind which way, i was just pointing out how time consuming it currently is to get that info. i'm a spreadsheet guy so i understand a large table with the ability to sort alpha/numerical on the columns.

for home i'd create a spreadsheet with Map Name, Total Terits, Starting Terits for 1v1, 2 player, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Special features. that's 10 columns. the first row has the titles and is scroll locked so no matter how far down i scroll i'll see the name of the column. the 2nd thing i'd do is create a macro button the exact size of the cell containing the heading Map Name which sits on top of that cell. when i push that button it will sort the table alphabetically by map name. similar buttons would sit on the other headings allowing the spreadsheet to be sorted by their respective columns.

it is fairly easy for me to do that but then its not accessable to anyone else and it doesn't have your awesome graphics - macro buttons are all grey.

as i said either way is good. whichever way you think adds the most functionality to the map gallery.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby greenoaks on Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:37 am

the other thing i thought could be in it would be a description of the map

maps like Classic, Germany, France, Middle East would be called Regular, Basic or some such name. other names could be Moderate, Complex.

i think that would be handy for TO's and players.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas