Conquer Club

[GO] Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Unrated games

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:54 am

what a surprise. someone has achieved a high rank and now wants to change the rules so he can play without risking any points.

move this to rejected, again.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Janomike on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:29 am

Basically i find this is a good idea although i can understand the objections mentioned. Personally i do care about my points
although i play alot of different maps and settings, but i would play more speed and beta map games for example if i could play them without rating.
This could be seen as some kind of training.

What about allowing at least to play beta maps without rating? Would help with map creation as
more people would dare to try them out.
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Janomike

Postby IcePack on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 am

IMHO the only game that should go unrated is battle royales (which should be medals).

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 am

Janomike wrote:Basically i find this is a good idea although i can understand the objections mentioned. Personally i do care about my points
although i play alot of different maps and settings, but i would play more speed and beta map games for example if i could play them without rating.
This could be seen as some kind of training.

What about allowing at least to play beta maps without rating? Would help with map creation as
more people would dare to try them out.

playing betas for no points would mean a bunch of players would be experienced on the map when it is quenched but there rank would not reflect that.

all games count.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby nicestash on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I am torn between 2 opinions here.

1) I would also like to play unrated games. I have school friends/friends from other games/family members that I like to play with in real time, but don't play very much other than that. Unfortunately, they aren't too interested in risk other than the occasional pick up game with me and so they have a very low rank and so it makes it nearly impossible for us to play. If I play and win a lot, I could easily get a ban for farming. If I play and I lose-well I'm down a lot of points. I've just decided to play the safe route and not play them anymore. Without the games against them in the early days of my CC risk playing, I certainly would've quit

2) If a rule is set in place like Kaskavel asked, CC would go WAY downhill. Players would ONLY play games on settings that they are guaranteed to win which would result in a dramatic decrease in the integrity of the scoreboard: it would turn into a contest by the best players to see who could get more people to join their specialized settings and lose points.

I can think of 2 compromises that could work.
1) Significantly limit the number of unscored games a person could play. Perhaps it could be 1 unscored game for every 10 scored games someone finishes, or a limit of 10 a month.
2) Only allow speed games to be unscored. I dislike this second option though because I love playing doodle games and making them unscored would ruin the fun.

P.S. Kaskavel: Because there are 6 players in a doodle game, you don't have to win a very large percentage to stay even with points. Most of the players that play them (and even have a chance at winning) are majors/colonels. Winning a game would like give you around 75 points, while losing one would lost you probably 30-35 points so you could win 1/3 of the games and be up.
Major nicestash

Postby nicestash on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 am

Better yet, make like 1 day a month where you can play unrated speed games. You could call it Broaden Your Horizons Day or something
Major nicestash

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:01 pm

nicestash wrote:Better yet, make like 1 day a month where you can play unrated speed games. You could call it Broaden Your Horizons Day or something

+1
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby Arama86n on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 pm

nicestash wrote:Better yet, make like 1 day a month where you can play unrated speed games. You could call it Broaden Your Horizons Day or something

Now that is definately an improvement on the original suggestion. Still going to be rejected though.
Major Arama86n

Postby Chewie1 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Kaskavel wrote:[
Many top players do not dare play unknown settings.

Not really Top Players then are they!
Lieutenant Chewie1

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Chewie1 wrote:
Kaskavel wrote: Many top players do not dare play unknown settings.

Not really Top Players then are they!

you've hit the nail in the head.

if a player is good then he'll play anybody on any map and any setting and win.

i'd love to see unrated games BUT they should only be available to mapmakers for private testing of map gameplay ideas. due to the nature of testing many screwups could happen so there would be no point in having points on the table.
this would be the only situation where i'd agree with unrated games
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

nicestash wrote:I am torn between 2 opinions here.

1) I would also like to play unrated games. I have school friends/friends from other games/family members that I like to play with in real time, but don't play very much other than that. Unfortunately, they aren't too interested in risk other than the occasional pick up game with me and so they have a very low rank and so it makes it nearly impossible for us to play. If I play and win a lot, I could easily get a ban for farming.

I guess it's hard to get banned for farming if you aren't farming. And what you are describing is not farming. It's not even the invitation abuse that GLG was found guilty of.

nicestash wrote:If I play and I lose-well I'm down a lot of points. I've just decided to play the safe route and not play them anymore.

And that makes it impossible how?
nicestash wrote:2) If a rule is set in place like Kaskavel asked, CC would go WAY downhill. Players would ONLY play games on settings that they are guaranteed to win which would result in a dramatic decrease in the integrity of the scoreboard: it would turn into a contest by the best players to see who could get more people to join their specialized settings and lose points.

Duh.
nicestash wrote:I can think of 2 compromises that could work.
1) Significantly limit the number of unscored games a person could play. Perhaps it could be 1 unscored game for every 10 scored games someone finishes, or a limit of 10 a month.
2) Only allow speed games to be unscored. I dislike this second option though because I love playing doodle games and making them unscored would ruin the fun.

I don't understand. Do you play for fun or points? Earlier you said you could lose against your friends and that's why you don't play them. If that's the case, do you not have fun playing your friends? I'd look for new friends...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby nicestash on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:24 pm

chapcrap wrote:
nicestash wrote:I can think of 2 compromises that could work.

I don't understand. Do you play for fun or points? Earlier you said you could lose against your friends and that's why you don't play them. If that's the case, do you not have fun playing your friends? I'd look for new friends...

I play for fun, but gaining points is part of that. If you play soccer on a team that always loses, it's just not as fun. Despite the fact that you might play soccer because it's fun, the single act of losing ruins it for you. People are innately competitive; we strive to succeed.

I would compare a Broaden Your Horizons day to playing a friendly, unscored game of soccer. Your team might not be as good as the other one, but as long as it is fairly competitive, no one cares. There's no feeling of despair as the clock winds down and no need to get upset over an unlucky break. It's simply cool, laid-back, and relaxed.
Major nicestash

Re: Unrated, Unranked, or No Points Games [REJECTED]

Postby agentcom on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Identical topics MERGED and thread STICKIED for moderator and user ease. Explanatory Introduction added to OP.
Brigadier agentcom

practice

Postby c c on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 pm

there should be a option to place your self on a map by your self so that you can practice on it prior to play with other players . I believe that this would eliminate players dropping out due to there lack of understanding a map and enhance the joy of a game rather than the frustration of not understanding the moves,play or concept to a map .
Last edited by chapcrap on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected Title
Sergeant 1st Class c c

Re: practice

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

This seems to me to be a really good idea.
The problem is, it would probably be very hard to implement for at least a couple of reasons:

1) Not having opponents would probably require some kind of AI player.
2) These practice games would, ideally, involve no loss or gain of points.

Both of these seem to me like they would not be very easy to code.

That said, this is a really good idea. It would, if done right, reduce the number of players who leave after short periods of time and also reduce players' ability to "farm" new recruits.

Then again, multis who might otherwise be busted as having "knowledge beyond their experience," so to speak, might be written off as having played a lot of practice games - and players who play a lot of practice games before playing real games might be reported for being multis.

So, I'm for it, overall, but curious to know what others think.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Re: pratice

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 pm

your score reflects the games you have played, all of them.

practice games allow you to greatly increase your skill on a map and then gain far more points then you would have because now you will win more games than a beginner yet receive the points as though you were still one.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm

greenoaks wrote:your score reflects the games you have played, all of them.

So maybe the AI player (if that's how it's done) could be assigned some arbitrary score, say 1000?

greenoaks wrote:practice games allow you to greatly increase your skill on a map and then gain far more points then you would have because now you will win more games than a beginner yet receive the points as though you were still one.

Yes, but if you replace "you" with "everyone" it's a lot fairer than that.

Postby greenoaks on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:
greenoaks wrote:practice games allow you to greatly increase your skill on a map and then gain far more points then you would have because now you will win more games than a beginner yet receive the points as though you were still one.

Yes, but if you replace "you" with "everyone" it's a lot fairer than that.

but that's just it, not everyone will practice and those that do wont to the same extent.

it will allow those that care to become really good at a map without the natural loss of points. perfect for high ranks to never play a lower ranked again until they have completely mastered the map and can be assured victory every game ie. farming GLG style.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am

What if we limit it to, say, 5 practice games per player per map? Do you think that might work?

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:36 am

greenoaks wrote:your score reflects the games you have played, all of them.

practice games allow you to greatly increase your skill on a map and then gain far more points then you would have because now you will win more games than a beginner yet receive the points as though you were still one.

Yes, and practicing chess with a friend at home allows you to greatly increase your chess skill and then go to a tournament and gain far more points than you would have. Is this unfair? Should people be banned from practicing competitive games?

Of course not. That extra point gain would only happen once, at which point you would equilibrate to a rating reflecting your actual skill level.

it will allow those that care to become really good at a map without the natural loss of points. perfect for high ranks to never play a lower ranked again until they have completely mastered the map and can be assured victory every game ie. farming GLG style.

People who put in that much dedication to learning a map should be the ones who have the high ranks. Why would we want to punish people who try really hard to perfect their skill?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby greenoaks on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 am

this has been suggested and rejected numerous times.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 am

greenoaks wrote:this has been suggested and rejected numerous times.

It has been suggested and let die numerous times. This is one of those suggestions that has fallen into the feedback loop where, because it was already sent to rejected, people just say "it's been rejected" and let it die without talking about why. If you look at the collated topic in Rejected, something like the first 10 pages goes by without even a single coherent argument against the suggestion.

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am

The difference between practicing chess at home and CC at home is that chess is universal and the same everywhere. These maps are not.

People CAN practice Risk at home on the Classic style map (and a few other Hasbro specialty maps), but they can't practice Stalingrad and Das Schloss and things like that at home because they only exist here.

In my opinion, I would not have a problem with this if it were done from the beginning, but changing it in the middle takes away from all the players that have already had to risk points on unknown maps because they were not able to practice it first. If I were going to get behind this suggestion, I would need to see some kind of limitations. Like only available on Classic or only available 1 time per map. Unlimited usage on unlimited maps would be a no from me.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:08 am

chapcrap wrote:In my opinion, I would not have a problem with this if it were done from the beginning, but changing it in the middle takes away from all the players that have already had to risk points on unknown maps because they were not able to practice it first. If I were going to get behind this suggestion, I would need to see some kind of limitations. Like only available on Classic or only available 1 time per map. Unlimited usage on unlimited maps would be a no from me.

Nobody forced them to risk points on unknown maps. If they wanted to be protective of their points, they could have stuck to maps that they knew. We shouldn't continue to make a bad decision because of bad decisions that were made in the past.

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am

What makes it a bad decision?
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions