Conquer Club

RIP Foundry Avatars

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RIP Foundry Avatars

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:43 pm

could we know what these "tangible items" are and what's a realistic time frame for getting them?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:25 pm

DiM wrote:could we know what these "tangible items" are and what's a realistic time frame for getting them?

Tangible items = too little
Time frame = too late
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm

MrBenn wrote:
DiM wrote:could we know what these "tangible items" are and what's a realistic time frame for getting them?

Tangible items = too little
Time frame = too late

that's precisely why i'm asking because i've heard promises so many times i've become immune to them.

do we get xml updates? do we get map categories? do we get a new interface?
we haven't even seen tnb80's map gallery get implemented and that was supposedly a sure and easy thing. i mean the guy worked hard to create that and lack didn't even bother to put a link to the gallery somewhere in the browse maps section.

so i don't know what others think, but as far as i'm concerned, these "tangible items" would better be something really awesome and they'd better come fast.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 pm

DiM wrote:we haven't even seen tnb80's map gallery get implemented and that was supposedly a sure and easy thing. i mean the guy worked hard to create that and lack didn't even bother to put a link to the gallery somewhere in the browse maps section.

Wow. That blows my mind.

Such a nice resource being squanderered.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
DiM wrote:we haven't even seen tnb80's map gallery get implemented and that was supposedly a sure and easy thing. i mean the guy worked hard to create that and lack didn't even bother to put a link to the gallery somewhere in the browse maps section.

Wow. That blows my mind.

Never even knew that existed...

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 pm

I support the mapmakers 100% as well.
Being in the early stages of my first attempt at mapmaking, I'm beginning to understand the incredible amount of time and effort required even for 1 simple map, but looking at some of the maps that have come out of here and the bodies of work of the more experienced mapmakers, I am awed by the foundry staff's commitment to excellence - in every sense of the word - and to CC, as well as by the talent of the mapmakers. For all of that to be ignored is nothing short of a tragedy.

I'm reminded of a song from the musical Wicked:
"No good deed goes unpunished
No act of charity goes unresented"

It's a shame, is what it is.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby macbone on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 pm

I for one love playing new maps that come out of the foundry, and the mapmakers do some amazing work, all because they love to do it. What would music be like if no new songs were written? What would comics be like if no one drew anything new? I really hope it's not too late to make changes before we lose these experienced mapmakers.
Colonel macbone

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 am

Dukasaur wrote:

Wow. That blows my mind.

Luckily, on this thing I can give you an answer:
The map foundry gallery you can see is not the final version.
I did serveral improvements and actually I have a version 2.0 I will release soon for some community feedback....ehm ehm with community I mean you guys in the foundry since for now it's not promoted on the site.

The good news, Lack want it on the site and we are working together to have it implemented. Actually I'm waiting some inputs from him on a couple of things but we're at a good point with it.
I'm the first to love the idea to have it implemented faster, but Lack has given to me some good feedback and important advice to perform it so I decided to take some time and work with the time I have.

As said I'm almost ready with it and I'll release a version more complete and with more info/better structure soon. For the implementation part, I prefer to discuss with Lack first instead of making a promise about a "when & how" I'm not sure to respect actually. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 am

That is great news nobodies. Looking forward to 2.0 and seeing what changes you have made to it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 am

Great work on the Map Gallery! TN80 :)

You are a pearl on this site =D> Does Lack realize what an asset he has with you?....
Major Kabanellas

Postby greenoaks on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Wow. That blows my mind.

Luckily, on this thing I can give you an answer:
The map foundry gallery you can see is not the final version.
I did serveral improvements and actually I have a version 2.0 I will release soon for some community feedback....ehm ehm with community I mean you guys in the foundry since for now it's not promoted on the site.

The good news, Lack want it on the site and we are working together to have it implemented. Actually I'm waiting some inputs from him on a couple of things but we're at a good point with it.
I'm the first to love the idea to have it implemented faster, but Lack has given to me some good feedback and important advice to perform it so I decided to take some time and work with the time I have.

As said I'm almost ready with it and I'll release a version more complete and with more info/better structure soon. For the implementation part, I prefer to discuss with Lack first instead of making a promise about a "when & how" I'm not sure to respect actually. ;)

will there be a sortable list of the maps by such things are total terits, starting terits or special features like winning/losing conditions?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:55 am

No, actually special features, number of teritories, etc are just listed in map pages
But it can be done and I would say easily...if it's a desired thing I can work on it and add something like that if what you would like to see doesn't become something too tricky. ;)

To do it I need to ask you a couple of things but it's better if we move this discussion in the map gallery dedicated thread. :)
I'll write a post there later, as soon as I'm back at home.

Nobodies

Btw thanks to all the guys that support us! It's very very appreciated! :D

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:57 am

greenoaks wrote:will there be a sortable list of the maps by such things are total terits, starting terits or special features like winning/losing conditions?

you can find all these things there...

nice and great work nobodies =D>

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Campin_Killer on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:05 am

Just had to rewrite this, damn connection.

Anyways, I support the foundry here.

Even though my map is in the early stages (Oh, it needs those), I can look around the foundry and see how long and how hard people with maps in the Main Foundry and Final Forge have worked just to get them there. And some of them have more than 1 map in the foundry right now! The mapmakers have worked hard to bring CC maps, and that cannot be ignored by lack. If he promises something, he best deliver this time.

Also, everything thrives on the foundry. There would be no tournaments, clan wars, and barely any maps, without the foundry. Tournaments need them to keep moving along. Same old same old maps would probably end up boring people in tournaments and lead to the tournament section dying. Clans too, need the maps, as they couldn't have clan wars without them. Hell, clans can completely change the way they play if they find that they kick ass on a new map.

The point is, the foundry cannot be ignored, as without it the site will eventually fall apart. So, bring the foundry some of the things you have promised, lack
Upcoming Tournaments
NCAA Football
In the Trenches - 3 in sign-ups
13 Colonies
8 Thoughts
Africa

Highscore

Lieutenant Campin_Killer

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am

I can tell you this. If the foundry dies, you can bet your ass that im not coming back.

new maps keep this site running.
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:32 pm

/me yawns
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

MrBenn wrote:/me yawns

Patience, my friend, patience ;)

One day more, one day less...what change? O:)

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:14 am

:roll:
Major DiM

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

DiM wrote:

:roll:

They haven't figured that out yet. ;)
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:20 pm

So how much longer does this foundry avatar RIP haqve to be up...i find it quite depressing for the foundry :cry:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:54 pm

cairnswk wrote:So how much longer does this foundry avatar RIP haqve to be up...i find it quite depressing for the foundry :cry:

As long as it takes...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:05 pm

natty dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:So how much longer does this foundry avatar RIP haqve to be up...i find it quite depressing for the foundry :cry:

As long as it takes...

nobody seems to be in a rush to at least give us some answers. it's been almost 8 days since the protest started and we only got a rather vague answer from andy 5 days ago. that was the only official and public response.
i actually thought we'd get more than this. some prompt explanations aren't that hard to provide and they can go a long way in establishing a mutual respect relationship.
even if they're working hard in the background to provide god knows what update, the lack of public speaking makes it all look like they don't care enough to respond.

at this point i'm thinking the protest should actually escalate into something more serious.
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:32 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Lack and King Achilles started discussing some items while I was out of the office last week, and I caught up with them this past Monday. We'll have a longer and more in-depth conversation mid-week. We're working on some actual tangible items, instead of just written promises, and I am sure we'll be in touch with the Cartos (and the rest of the Foundry here) as well.

I would like to ask to everyone to have patience. Andy posted this some days ago saying that admins discussed about what we did mid-week.
Now since it's saturday and admins don't work on weekends i think it's common sense to argue that we won't have a reply or news before monday.

For now I can say, or better I'm allowed to say that something is moving behind the scenes, but I prefer to wait and understand better the situation before to give you a final answer. ;)

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:32 pm

why not just say what it is? Why does it have to be mysterious? Maybe you'll get feedback if you make it public?
Private RjBeals

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:11 am

take your time folks.

it give me a chance to catch up on my Best At Beta tournaments.
Sergeant greenoaks

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions