Conquer Club

GM Script: chatglove - a floating game chat - version 1.6.16

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: GM Script: chatglove - a floating game chat - version 1.

Postby chapcrap on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:26 am

If you click on the tab the adding creates, it will take you to the next game with chat. Then you don't have to go back to My Games and look for the next game.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby nebsmith on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 pm

That's not the problem.
The problem is with clearing chat I have looked at. I tend to check through all my games using the back arrow on the browser and then entering the next game so i can work down the list without a lot of scrolling, doing it this way doesn't clear the "new chat" as read.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby chapcrap on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:10 pm

nebsmith wrote:That's not the problem.
The problem is with clearing chat I have looked at. I tend to check through all my games using the back arrow on the browser and then entering the next game so i can work down the list without a lot of scrolling, doing it this way doesn't clear the "new chat" as read.

Maybe that's because when you use the back arrow it isn't actually refreshing the My Games page.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby nebsmith on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:13 am

I know that - the problem is that using " mark all chat as read" doesn't clear the chat.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:17 pm

nebsmith wrote:I know that - the problem is that using " mark all chat as read" doesn't clear the chat.

I've had issues with chat coming back, but not exactly what you're describing. Usually if chat comes back as new when it isn't, it's just a temporary issue.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Lancelot du Lac on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello,

I have a little problem with the application. At home I have no problem. However when I use it at work, no notification appears.
I reinstalled the application, reinstalled firefox but nothing!

Someone has an idea?
General Lancelot du Lac

Postby agentcom on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:47 pm

chapcrap wrote:
nebsmith wrote:I know that - the problem is that using " mark all chat as read" doesn't clear the chat.

I've had issues with chat coming back, but not exactly what you're describing. Usually if chat comes back as new when it isn't, it's just a temporary issue.

This problem, the one chap describes, seems to be getting worse for me. I'll let pages load completely and 10 minutes later it will say that there's 10 games with new chat. It's getting kind of old going to a game and seeing my last snapshot being the last thing in chat.
Colonel agentcom

Postby sherkaner on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Hmm, I just had a look at the code. Could it be that you have multiple games open at the same time a lot? I can see how things could go wrong there.

For the maintainer: I'm thinking things could go wrong when you have 2 (or more) games open, and the older game updates the _gameChatLinesKey, which overwrites the newer information from the other game. Doesn't explain everything, but it looks like it could go wrong there. saveChatLineCount should first read out the value, update it and then write it again, that should solve it.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Leehar on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 am

Just a mention that dwilhelmi is going to be taking a break from CC for a while, so I'm not sure if he'll be available to maintain the script currently?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby sherkaner on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Leehar wrote:Just a mention that dwilhelmi is going to be taking a break from CC for a while, so I'm not sure if he'll be available to maintain the script currently?

I didn't know about that break, I guess we'll have to see who picks it up.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby agentcom on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

sherkaner wrote:Hmm, I just had a look at the code. Could it be that you have multiple games open at the same time a lot? I can see how things could go wrong there.

For the maintainer: I'm thinking things could go wrong when you have 2 (or more) games open, and the older game updates the _gameChatLinesKey, which overwrites the newer information from the other game. Doesn't explain everything, but it looks like it could go wrong there. saveChatLineCount should first read out the value, update it and then write it again, that should solve it.

Sometimes. But other times, I feel like I just have 1 single window open. I cycle through all the games with chat, allowing enough time (I think) for the page to load completely. It is worse when I cycle through faster rather than slower. And I will try to recreate this problem with only 1 open game window.
Colonel agentcom

Postby dwilhelmi on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:18 pm

sherkaner wrote:Hmm, I just had a look at the code. Could it be that you have multiple games open at the same time a lot? I can see how things could go wrong there.

Yes, I recall that being a known issue from before I took over the script. However, that is not the only cause. I also see this from time to time, and not when having multiple tabs open.

Leehar wrote:Just a mention that dwilhelmi is going to be taking a break from CC for a while, so I'm not sure if he'll be available to maintain the script currently?

Yes, I am retiring for an indeterminate amount of time. If anybody is interested in taking over support for chatglove, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

Postby agentcom on Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I just checked chat in all my games. There was no new chat. I only had one window open. I started browsing through the forum. When I was done I had 11 new chat. I started clicking through them. Only 1 was actually new chat. Every other one of them, I was the last to comment in. What is even more annoying, is that while I'm clicking through, I will watch the little blue number. It decreases by 1 when I get to the new page, but I will actually see it go up by 1 or 2 every once in a while, while I'm reading the chat (usually my own) and waiting for the page to load. Therefore, to get through the 11 supposedly new chat messages and read the single actual new chat message, I probably had to click that thing 20 or 30 times. That is really a pain in the ass.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:01 am

agentcom wrote:I just checked chat in all my games. There was no new chat. I only had one window open. I started browsing through the forum. When I was done I had 11 new chat. I started clicking through them. Only 1 was actually new chat. Every other one of them, I was the last to comment in. What is even more annoying, is that while I'm clicking through, I will watch the little blue number. It decreases by 1 when I get to the new page, but I will actually see it go up by 1 or 2 every once in a while, while I'm reading the chat (usually my own) and waiting for the page to load. Therefore, to get through the 11 supposedly new chat messages and read the single actual new chat message, I probably had to click that thing 20 or 30 times. That is really a pain in the ass.

Maybe try to reload it... I haven't had these problems in quite a while.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dako on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:15 am

You cab have problems if you use both http:// and https://. They keep info separately.
Colonel Dako

Postby agentcom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Dako wrote:You cab have problems if you use both http:// and https://. They keep info separately.

I have never intentionally tried to use either. My browser bar (FF) doesn't even include the http(s):// I never noticed that until just now actually.

Just tried reinstalling: I had to hit the button 62 times to get through 48 games because of CG bringing things back to life. Only 1 window open, I didn't use back or navigate anywhere else. I waited until the page was loaded to move on.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Leehar on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm

I know it's happened every now and then, but it really shouldn't happen that many times (62?) (that it says you have chat when you don't)
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby agentcom on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Leehar wrote:I know it's happened every now and then, but it really shouldn't happen that many times (62?) (that it says you have chat when you don't)

Well I had just reinstalled, so it brought up my 48 active games because all had chat in them. But as I was clicking through those 48, I had 14 of them "come back to life" after I had passed them, resulting in a total of 62 clicks to clear what should have been 48 chats to read. I see I have 4 Game Chat now (fresh login, only 1 window open). I'll go through those and let you know how many of them should have been cleared by my initial clicking through that I was talking about last time.

[edit: back to report results]

OK, so when I went through those 4 messages (only one window open, I copied this stuff to notepad):

11296282 - repeat
11306221 - repeat
11356396 - new chat
11363334 - repeat
11036738 - new chat popped up while reviewing
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm

I have no idea if it will help, but Game 11363329 is a frequent offender (at least today). I've had this one pop up with "new chat" multiple times every time I log in. It's particularly annoying because I just asked my teammates a question that needs to get answered before my turn, so I keep getting excited when it pops up with "new chat." Does any of this extra information help? As time permits, I can probably make posts like the one immediately above this if there's any way that will help resolve this problem.

Finally, what is CG querying to determine whether there is new chat? Is there a chance whatever server it's "talking to" is reporting back ALL chat entries including opponent's chat?
Colonel agentcom

Postby sherkaner on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 am

CG actually loads the page (with you as a user), and checks whether the id of the last chat equals the one it remembers as the last chat you've seen. So it shouldn't notice opponent's chat.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby agentcom on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 pm

sherkaner wrote:CG actually loads the page (with you as a user), and checks whether the id of the last chat equals the one it remembers as the last chat you've seen. So it shouldn't notice opponent's chat.

OK, so how long should it take to record that I've "seen" the chat when I am looking at the game? Seems like this should take a millisecond.

I wait until my browser tells me that it has loaded the page and then a second or two longer. That is, most (all?) browsers have an icon that they display while a page is loading. There is also a "stop loading" button that will be available during this period. I wait until the loading icon goes away and the stop loading icon turns into a refresh icon. I would think that the script would have completed whatever it needs to do by then or shortly after.
Colonel agentcom

Postby sherkaner on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 am

agentcom wrote:
sherkaner wrote:CG actually loads the page (with you as a user), and checks whether the id of the last chat equals the one it remembers as the last chat you've seen. So it shouldn't notice opponent's chat.

OK, so how long should it take to record that I've "seen" the chat when I am looking at the game? Seems like this should take a millisecond.

I wait until my browser tells me that it has loaded the page and then a second or two longer. That is, most (all?) browsers have an icon that they display while a page is loading. There is also a "stop loading" button that will be available during this period. I wait until the loading icon goes away and the stop loading icon turns into a refresh icon. I would think that the script would have completed whatever it needs to do by then or shortly after.

I don't think that's the problem, scripts execute on dom ready (which is when the page becomes visible, but doesn't wait for images to be loaded) and they should only take maybe 0.2 seconds. If you have BOB and the log is huge of a game, it can be longer though. But you would be blocked anyway. So normally it should have saved the correct information.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby agentcom on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Well whatever it is, it's very annoying. I can post as much info as you need, but we have now reached the outer limits of any technical knowledge that I have about this. Thank you for putting it in easy-to-understand language though.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Dako on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:54 am

I think I know how to reproduce that.

Try that.
1. Have more than 5 new chats (just for testign purposes, number of unread chats is irrelevant)
2. Open 1st unread chat.
3. Type there something (might not be a necessary step)
4. Open new tab of CC
5. Start browsing unread chat from the new tab (don't close or do anythign with the 1st tab)
6. Then close the 2nd tab and focus on the 1st tab
7. Do some actions in the first tab (ie post a chat, or hit "R" for refresh)

Actual result - all games browsed from 2nd tab remain unread. At least i got it like that just now and this is what I was doing. Hope that helps.
Colonel Dako

Postby dwilhelmi on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 am

Unfortunately, the problem with having multiple tabs open would require practically a rewrite of how the chatsniffer works, and I don't have the time at the moment to do that. For now, we just have to say that if you have multiple tabs open, it is going to mess up your new chat count.

However, the other issue still on the table is when the chat count is unreliable, and multiple tabs are not open.

One piece of information that would help me to track this down, for anybody who has experienced this issue: does the number of new chats jump up suddenly, or simply not decrement or go up just by 1. For example, lets say you start off with 5 unread chats, and they are all valid unread chats. As you click through them, do you see unread chats go down to 4, then 3, then 2, then at some point BOOM it is back up to 5? Or is it more like 5, then 4, then back up to 5, and it never gets lower than 4 or 5 while you are reading your chats? I hope that makes sense...

Basically, I am trying to track down if the data gets corrupted somehow, resulting in a large number of false positives all at once, or if a game simply fails to mark itself as read when you are on that page, causing the overall count to not decrease when you move on. Knowing this would help me track the problem down.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives