Conquer Club

XML Update: Finally!! LOL

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

XML Update: Finally!! LOL

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Hello Mapmakers,

As you certainly know, a couple of days ago I've confirmed that Admins were actively working on some elements for the Map Foundry.
Today I'm happy and honoured to be able to give you more details of their work and finally announce this, let me say, huge and important Update.

So, without any further ado, let me introduce:

Bonus Collections

The bonus collections is an update that give to us more flexibility with bonuses. It doesn't allow many new gameplay elements but it makes possible to shorten the code, and those of you who are more experienced with the developement of big maps know well how much can be a pain to code everything without having a long and big file. In addition, this update will solve an issue we had to face twice in past (Research&Conquer and War of Wizards), infact the game engine can't handle too big xml files.
But let me show you the update more in detail.

The first thing that we can do now is to write a single list for a bonus in which the bonus value changes with the number of regions of that bonus (or continent) that we hold.
Till today, we had to use overrides, in that way we were able to cancel a bonus in favour of another, but now we can use this system:

Code: Select all
<continent>
<bonuses>
<bonus required="5">5</bonus>
<bonus required="8">15</bonus>
<bonus required="11">45</bonus>
</bonuses>
<components>
<component type="mandatory">essential country 1</component>
<component type="mandatory">essential country 2</component>
<component type="blocker">bad country!</component>
<component>variable country 1</component>
<component>variable country 2</component>
<component>variable country 3</component>
</components>
</continent>

As you can see, now all partial bonuses can be listed at once, you need just to use the <bonus> tag and write the number of required regions within the tag.
Mandatory components are self explanatory, you need to hold that region (or regions) in order to receive the bonus, instead, the blocker component works the opposite, if you hold it, you don't receive the bonus. It's important to know that the mandatory and the blocker components are always valid and applies on all bonuses listed into the continent.

But there's more! Look at this code:

<continent>
    <bonus>5</bonus>
    <components>
    <component type="multiplier" factor="1.5">multiplier country</component>
    <component>country 1</component>
    <component>country 2</component>
    <component>country 3</component>
    </components>
    </continent>

You can see the "Multiplier" and "factor" options within the component tag.
If you use this tag, when a player hold that country, the bonus is multiplied for the factor number. If the number is not a perfect one, it is rounded to the nearest.
So, for example a bonus of 7 with a multiplier of 1.5 will give you 11 troops.

The above codes are just examples, but I'm sure you are able to use them in more constructive ways. ;)
There are some details to explain but we're working on a guide in which you'll find all the info you need to know, but in the meanwhile if you have question feel free to ask!

The end? That's all?
No, there's something else for us!

So, with tears of joy.....I'm really happy to announce that now we have:

Conditional Borders

This update allows more dynamic control of borders and it opens up Conquer Club to a whole new level of strategy!
Now you are able to use dynamic boders on your map, so a region A borders with a Region B only if the player holds "something"

But how looks the code?

<territory>
    <name>Sao Paulo</name>
    <borders>
    <border>Bogota</border>
    <border>Lima</border>
    <border condition="New York">Buenos Aires</border>
    <border condition="Oceania">Dakar</border>
    </borders>
    <coordinates>
    </coordinates>
    </territory>

As you can see in the example Sao Paulo borders with Buenos Aires only if you hold New York. Or it can border with Dakar if you hold the whole Oceania.
Yeah, you got it right! Also continents can be used as conditions.
Again the above is just an example and there're plenty ways to use them. This update is certainly one of those who will give us many and many new type of maps to draw.
For example it can used on a map in a way you can unlock a door only if you have a key, or you can "pass a bridge" only if you hold a specific region.
The only limit is the sky!

I really hope you are happy for these updates, enjoy them and now start to draw! :D

But, before to leave, let me say that lackattack is working on something else, something that will be useful for the foundry but that will have also a larger impact on the whole CC Community. He is working on a Map Database, right now he has finished the Phase 1, which is the back end. Currently we're all working on it to populate the non-automatic data and soon Lack will start to work on the Phase 2, that is a public Map Gallery.

Right now we're not able to set a precise deadline since there's some stuff to do, but for now don't think about it since you can spend your time playing with the new toys. ;)
Have fun!

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: XML Update: Finally!! LOL

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:14 pm

aside from conditional borders the others are....meh.

as for the map database/gallery it's a disgrace that it's been over 3 months since you published your map gallery and it still hasn't been implemented yet.

so now that the boycott is over can i put back my maps so i can be done with the foundry?

PS: also i'm curious, why did the foundry have to rebel to get this? why isn't lack providing these sort of updates on his own and would rather wait to be forced to do it?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:32 pm

DiM wrote:aside from conditional borders the others are....meh.

Like I said collections are more an improvement than a real update. Anyway it is useful because it's a solid base on which future updates can be built on and moreover now there's no more problem with file size.

DiM wrote:as for the map database/gallery it's a disgrace that it's been over 3 months since you published your map gallery and it still hasn't been implemented yet.

Partially it's my fault since i took a long break fpr personal reasons. But we're working on it full time and I can assure you that Lack has already did a great job with the back end.

DiM wrote:so now that the boycott is over can i put back my maps so i can be done with the foundry?

You were free to put back your maps in every moment, it was just up to you when and how long partecipite to the "strike".

DiM wrote:PS: also i'm curious, why did the foundry have to rebel to get this? why isn't lack providing these sort of updates on his own and would rather wait to be forced to do it?

I prefer to not respond to a question that is not directed to me, but I can ask to him.
Personally, I don't care too much...the important thing is that in the future things will work in a different way. I don't care so much about past, but it's just a personal opinion. ;)

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
DiM wrote:as for the map database/gallery it's a disgrace that it's been over 3 months since you published your map gallery and it still hasn't been implemented yet.

Partially it's my fault since i took a long break fpr personal reasons. But we're working on it full time and I can assure you that Lack has already did a great job with the back end.

it has nothing to do with you. this should have been done by lack a long time ago. the fact that you actually did it before he did says a lot.

thenobodies80 wrote:
DiM wrote:PS: also i'm curious, why did the foundry have to rebel to get this? why isn't lack providing these sort of updates on his own and would rather wait to be forced to do it?

I prefer to not respond to a question that is not directed to me, but I can ask to him.
Personally, I don't care too much...the important thing is that in the future things will work in a different way. I don't care so much about past, but it's just a personal opinion. ;)

what do you mean about the future?
are we supposed to expect regular updates?
will the other xml requests be worked on?
will the site get an interface overhaul?
will lack switch to html5?

or is this a "let's give them something to shut them up for the next few years" kind of update?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm

DiM wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:

it has nothing to do with you. this should have been done by lack a long time ago. the fact that you actually did it before he did says a lot.

For me it means just that lackattack needs a hand because it has too may things to do compared with the time available.

DiM wrote:what do you mean about the future?
are we supposed to expect regular updates?
will the other xml requests be worked on?
will the site get an interface overhaul?
will lack switch to html5?

or is this a "let's give them something to shut them up for the next few years" kind of update?

Do you think I am Nostradamus? :lol:

How do you think it's possible for me to give an answer to all those questions? Simply I don't know...that's what I hope, just that. I'm strongly convinced that with the right people and with the right words things can change.

DiM, the difference between you and me it's just that I'm always available to talk with a person, listen his reasoning and, if it is the case, give him another chance without to have to shout loud all time! ( I love you anyway :mrgreen: ;) )
I understand your feeling and your thoughts, but you asked for actions, facts. You had actions and facts....why there always be the necessity to find out something wrong in the middle of a couple of good things?

If you break the legs to a man every single time that he tries to learn to walk, how he can start to learn to walk?
You want too much and it all together! Like I said in past, diplomacy....time requires time. O:)

Postby tsioumiou on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Sounds like a great improvement. =D> =D> =D>

Dim why the trolling from the first post? You could have waited a bit :)
Lieutenant tsioumiou

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

i'm not trolling at all. i do think the update is a good one. not a great one, but a good one.
however i can't help feeling disappointed that conditional borders are finally implemented after 5 years of waiting.
my trust has been lost and for it to be regained it would take more than a single update. if i see constant updates, if i see lack actively getting involved with the foundry and expressing a genuine interest in what i believe to be the backbone of this site, then i'm more than willing to open my arms and give him my respect.
so this update is good, but unless it is followed by more such updates on a regular basis, then it's nothing but sand in our eyes.
Major DiM

Postby Oneyed on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:52 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
DiM wrote:so now that the boycott is over can i put back my maps so i can be done with the foundry?

You were free to put back your maps in every moment, it was just up to you when and how long partecipite to the "strike".

does it means that protest it finished?
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Oneyed wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:

does it means that protest it finished?

Yes.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Robert E Nick on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

I have no Idea what any of this means but the conditional borders sounds cool!
Corporal 1st Class Robert E Nick

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Robert E Nick wrote:I have no Idea what any of this means but the conditional borders sounds cool!

It just means DiM is being a miserable arsewipe again.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby DiM on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm

ManBungalow wrote:DiM is being a miserable arsewipe again.

who let the wannabe mapmaker out of the recycle bin? :roll:
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:36 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
Robert E Nick wrote:I have no Idea what any of this means but the conditional borders sounds cool!

It just means DiM is being a miserable arsewipe again.

Okay man, I think whaat Robert is saying is that he has no idea what the updates mean.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby zimmah on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:58 pm

basically the updates mean that it became a little bit easier to make complex continents work. so that really complex maps that were in development for years can finally be finished, because otherwise the code would be too big to handle for the site. It also saves time on other maps that would be big but still playable. as far as i know they don;t really unlock new options other than complexity limitations due to size.

for example, see the research and conquer map. Even though it would have been theoretically be possible to create the XML for that map, it would be so huge that it would just not work, the game engine couldn't handle it. This new update allows them to rewrite the XML in a way that it would be small enough to work.

conditional borders are a new feature that allow new kinds of maps. and we may see them soon. It's especially nice for dungeon-type maps, as you can allow doors to only open if you have one or multiple keys.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Hopefully, now....those of us who wish to return or continue in a positive and proactive way can get on with the business of mapmaking :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby greenoaks on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 pm

conditional borders definitely would suit a Dungeons Of Draknor Level 2 map.

thanks for the update.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 pm

greenoaks wrote:conditional borders definitely would suit a Dungeons Of Draknor Level 2 map.

thanks for the update.

once i saw this, me and my friend started working on a draft.

(yes, i already have permission to make a seccond one)
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Postby Gillipig on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Nice update!! This was one of those things we really wanted. It should open up the creative process quite a bit.
Might be used sporadically on a "normal" map as well as more frequently in special maps. Could be an interesting feature in assassin style games as well as escalating. My old "math" map would benefit greatly from this update. Will be interesting to see what ingenuity people will conjure up. Thanks lack!
As for the future, sure we'd like more updates. And indeed the foundry needs more updates to continue this good trend, but let's not be so goal oriented that we don't stop to pay tribute to what without doubt is the best update CC has seen in years! =D> =D> Credit where credit is due :).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:08 am

These updates do look pretty good, I have to say if I were still making maps here I'd be pretty excited about them. Good job all around.

Gillipig wrote:My old "math" map would benefit greatly from this update.

Sorry, but your "math" map won't benefit from anything except a trip behind the barn. Concentrate on something useful.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby degaston on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 am

Conditional borders might have fit well into my clue map, but if you still can't test a map until the graphics and game-play have been approved, then I'm not interested.
Brigadier degaston

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 am

I am happy for these updates. Lets see them in action!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby QoH on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 am

I can't wait to see what Natty does with the conditional borders update. Should be spectacular. :D
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby zimmah on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 am

crazymilkshake5 wrote:
greenoaks wrote:conditional borders definitely would suit a Dungeons Of Draknor Level 2 map.

thanks for the update.

once i saw this, me and my friend started working on a draft.

(yes, i already have permission to make a seccond one)

Of you need someone to do the xml, i'd love to do it.

Also i'd love draknor lvl 2
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 am

QoH wrote:I can't wait to see what Natty does with the conditional borders update. Should be spectacular. :D

I'm not going to do anything with it.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby pamoa on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:09 am

and now what about a map competition using a draft with all those great new features so we can quick see what we gained
oh btw thank you great divine lack
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions