Conquer Club

River land (?) - conditional borders (!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

River land (?) - conditional borders (!)

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Map Name: Whatever
Mapmaker(s): ManBungalow
Number of Territories: At the moment? 87
Special Features: Conditional borders
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: Conditional borders

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

Be sure to read the legend at the bottom of the image before commenting.

I'll only progress with this map if there is enough support at this point. The graphics/borders/legend/island names are all make-shift to portray what I have in mind. I think all of the regions/borders are subject to change anyway. That's not to say that I haven't thought through the gameplay in this draft, but there are still lots of things I'm not happy with.

Anyway, the conditional borders;

I'd like the yellow squiggle/control regions to start off neutral and to have a heavy auto-decay. Once it is taken, the player may assault across ANY of the bridges FROM THAT ISLAND and to another area (or same area, if you look at island F).

Naturally, an opponent may attack ONTO your island even if you don't hold the control region (given that they hold the control region on the adjacent island, of course) -- someone correct me if my understanding of the conditional borders code is wrong.

Let me know what you think of it, and I'll report back to this thread later.
Colonel ManBungalow

Re: River land (?) - conditional borders (!)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:30 pm

ManBungalow, correct me if I am wrong, but is this just another copy of your island maps? Maybe third time lucky for you. ;) But why not put this onto the map that was in the main foundry forum under the gameplay section instead of starting of completely fresh? :-s

Will leave this here for now, but you really need to get this up to draft status ASAP for me. Names on territs / maps name / bonuses. All these can be changed later so no need to fixate on this.

Your conditional borders will work fine. Please do not leave it up to popular demand to keep this one going, you will not get it as the foundry is very quiet at the moment. See if you can get some support yourself when you have a better draft up.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:09 pm

koontz1973 wrote:ManBungalow, correct me if I am wrong, but is this just another copy of your island maps? Maybe third time lucky for you.

Funny thing, actually. It started off as a green field, and then I started tracing rivers into it so that I could make some bridges (I have some early drafts around here somewhere if you're really interested. Very soon, the rivers looked completely out of place and it just seemed more apt to use islands instead. Also, it's easier to build islands around the gameplay I want than it is to place regions around other features.

Incidentally, I did actually consider a city design (which maybe fits the control regions idea better) with bridges that can be closed off, but I can't get the graphics to look how I want them - partly because it's a draft I merely want to see if I (or anybody else) actually like the concept.

Another fleeting idea is to have castles (à la Feudal War) with gates that can only be opened from the watch-tower sort of thing. Or something else with walls.

So...islands it is.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:34 am

I like the idea about the castles on the islands for each of the conditional borders. Do this. Here is something for you to consider if you added the castles.
Forget bridges, add 2 or 3 ports to each island, next to the castle and on the opposite side of the island. Own the castle, you get to use the port. Sort of like, being a king and having a navy at your command. All ports connect then.

[Moved]

MB, going to move this to ideas for now. Get me a draft and will move it back.

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas