Conquer Club

<Removed>

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: What is the Republican Party?

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:51 pm

tzor wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:Does anyone else think it's funny that the RNC is being held in a Hurricane-prone area during Hurricane season?

You realize that this is basically the entire southern coast and east coasts. The North East is really due for a major one to make landfall there.

That leaves the tornado belt, the earthquake belt and I suppose Chicago, the corruption belt.

And if you noticed, the hurricane missed the convention. That is also the way of hurricanes. They are strange and unpredictable, sort of like Biden.

Isn't North Carolina also a hurricane-prone area?
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

It's different though.

Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby john9blue on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:19 pm

was that a hockey reference?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 pm

john9blue wrote:was that a hockey reference?

Puck if I know.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby john9blue on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:
john9blue wrote:was that a hockey reference?

Puck if I know.

-rd

icy what you did there.
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 am

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

Wow JB. I might have to take a break from viewing your posts for a while. They make my head hurt, and all your posts look the same.

But seeing how you like pictures so much, here is one for you, and this one is actually a fact.
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Wow JB. I might have to take a break from viewing your posts for a while. They make my head hurt, and all your posts look the same.

But seeing how you like pictures so much, here is one for you, and this one is actually a fact.

How dare you insult Lenin like that!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Wow JB. I might have to take a break from viewing your posts for a while. They make my head hurt, and all your posts look the same.

In Phatscotty's world, that constitutes "a fact", by his own statement. That's all you need to know about him, right there.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:01 pm

Romney: U.S. economy ‘getting better’ under Obama

INGRAHAM: You’ve also noted that there are signs of improvement on the horizon in the economy. How do you answer the president’s argument that the economy is getting better in a general election campaign if you yourself are saying it’s getting better?

ROMNEY: Well, of course it’s getting better. The economy always gets better after a recession, there is always a recovery. […]

INGRAHAM: Isn’t it a hard argument to make if you’re saying, like, OK, he inherited this recession, he took a bunch of steps to try to turn the economy around, and now, we’re seeing more jobs, but vote against him anyway? Isn’t that a hard argument to make? Is that a stark enough contrast?

ROMNEY: Have you got a better one, Laura? It just happens to be the truth.

This is the kind of truth PS must be talking about?

“More jobs were created in the private sector last year alone than in all eight years of George W. Bush”

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/mitt-romney/
42% of the time, Mitt Romney gets his facts wrong

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/barack-obama/
27% of the time, Barack Obama gets his facts wrong

Obama - the honest candidate

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Romney: U.S. economy ‘getting better’ under Obama

INGRAHAM: You’ve also noted that there are signs of improvement on the horizon in the economy. How do you answer the president’s argument that the economy is getting better in a general election campaign if you yourself are saying it’s getting better?

ROMNEY: Well, of course it’s getting better. The economy always gets better after a recession, there is always a recovery. […]

INGRAHAM: Isn’t it a hard argument to make if you’re saying, like, OK, he inherited this recession, he took a bunch of steps to try to turn the economy around, and now, we’re seeing more jobs, but vote against him anyway? Isn’t that a hard argument to make? Is that a stark enough contrast?

ROMNEY: Have you got a better one, Laura? It just happens to be the truth.

This is the kind of truth PS must be talking about?

I don't know, but if Romney actually answered that way, he gained some credit from me.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Yeah he did, I checked. If you follow the link within' the link, you're sent to a video from the Rachel Maddow show.
She plays the interview during that show. For whatever reason, I'm still listening to her old shows now.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:32 pm

"1,000 years of darkness" if Obama-re-elected.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/09/03 ... ted-video/

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 pm

GOP Defends Marianas’ Sweatshops

Which brings us to that curious Mariana Islands minimum wage plank in the Republican platform. Some years ago, our government made an effort to clean up sweatshops on the islands – including Saipan – that have been under the control of the United States since the end of World War II.

Chinese women were brought over to the islands to work under awful conditions – subject to forced abortions and prostitution and paid pennies for producing garments labeled “Made in the USA.”

Corrupt local officials hired the firm of infamous lobbyist Jack Abramoff — for more than $4 million — to try to stop the reforms proposed back in Washington. Abramoff, in turn, hired Ralph Reed and his political direct mail company, Millennium Marketing, to conduct a phony grassroots campaign urging Alabama Christians to write their local congressman to oppose the reforms.

Of course, Reed didn’t tell those Christians he was being paid to help keep running sweatshops that exploited women. Instead, he told them the reforms were a trick orchestrated by the Left and organized labor.

Limits on Chinese workers would keep them from being “exposed to the teachings of Jesus Christ.” His company explained it was just trying to encourage “grassroots citizens to promote the propagation of the Gospel” and that many of the workers were “converted to the Christian faith and return to China with Bibles in hand.”

With the explosion of the Jack Abramoff scandals and exposes by Ms. Magazine and other publications, the spotlight on the Marianas sweatshops finally did lead to congressional action, including a raise of the minimum wage and a law to federalize labor and immigration rules in the Marianas. The minimum wage now is $5.05 an hour, increasing to $5.55 on Sept. 30, but many in the Marianas business sector continue to oppose the amount – hence the platform plank.

GOMERICA!

Postby john9blue on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:14 pm

i wonder if you grasped the irony of this title
Captain john9blue

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm

I wonder if you grasp the irony of what you just said.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:

"1,000 years of darkness" if Obama-re-elected.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/09/03 ... ted-video/

A long, long time ago, I was a Chuck Norris fan. But that man really is rather a nutjob, isn't he.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm

john9blue wrote:

i wonder if you grasped the irony of this title

I'm not sure he did!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Woodruff wrote:A long, long time ago, I was a Chuck Norris fan. But that man really is rather a nutjob, isn't he.

That really surprised me.
He's like the Uwe Boll of actors. He used to spare with Bruce Lee. . . Lee probably knocked him stupid.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Conservative Politics, 'Low-Effort' Thinking Linked In New Study

Conservatives and liberals don't seem to agree about much, and they might not agree about recent studies linking conservatism to low intelligence and "low-effort" thinking.

As The Huffington Post reported in February, a study published in the journal "Psychological Science" showed that children who score low on intelligence tests gravitate toward socially conservative political views in adulthood--perhaps because conservative ideologies stress "structure and order" that make it easier to understand a complicated world.

Ouch.

And now there's the new study linking conservative ideologies to "low-effort" thinking.

"People endorse conservative ideology more when they have to give a first or fast response," the study's lead author, University of Arkansas psychologist Dr. Scott Eidelman, said in a written statement released by the university.

Does the finding suggest that conservatives are lazy thinkers?

"Not quite," Dr. Eidelman told The Huffington Post in an email. "Our research shows that low-effort thought promotes political conservatism, not that political conservatives use low-effort thinking."

For the study, a team of psychologists led by Dr. Eidelman asked people about their political viewpoints in a bar and in a laboratory setting.

Bar patrons were asked about social issues before blowing into a Breathalyzer. As it turned out, the political viewpoints of patrons with high blood alcohol levels were more likely to be conservative than were those of patrons whose blood alcohol levels were low.

But it wasn't just the alcohol talking, according to the statement. When the researchers conducted similar interviews in the lab, they found that people who were asked to evaluate political ideas quickly or while distracted were more likely to express conservative viewpoints.

"Keeping people from thinking too much...or just asking them to deliberate or consider information in a cursory manner can impact people's political attitudes, and in a way that consistently promotes political conservatism," Dr. Eidelman said in the email.

The study was published online in the journal "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin."

What do you think? Are conservatives less intelligent than liberals--or more intelligent? And is conservatism a matter of lazy thinking?

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism
Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

"Reality is complicated and messy," he told The Huffington Post in an email. "Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

But Nosek said less intelligent types might be attracted to liberal "simplifying ideologies" as well as conservative ones.

In any case, the study has taken the Internet by storm, with some outspoken liberals saying that it validates their suspicions about conservatives and conservatives arguing that the research has been misinterpreted.

What do you think? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent? Or is this just political opinion masquerading as science?

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/10/2 ... on-is-zero
Heavily Liberal-leaning site

Best comment award: pwn3rship society

"I got 99 Bills but Jobs ain't 1"

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Where did bedub go?

This thread is getting awesome.

Postby john9blue on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,