Conquer Club

Romney and Obama: Is There Any Difference?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is there any difference between Romney and Obama?

Total votes : 0

Romney and Obama: Is There Any Difference?

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 am

Been a lot of talk about how they are exactly the same vs. how they are extremely different.

Let's get to the bottom of it!
Last edited by Phatscotty on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Romney and Obama: Is There Any Difference?

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Been a lot of talk about how they are exactly the same vs. how they are extremely different.

Let's get to the Juan_Bottom of it!

What do you think, Scotty? I think they have their fair share of alikes and differences (middle).

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby tzor on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Romney and Obama are as different as the day is from the night; as the summer is from the winter; as an electron is from a positron. I mean they might seem alike; if you ignore the differences.

Now both will try to play the "poor me" card, but both Barry Sotero and Mitt Romney had well off fathers and that gave them both a good advantage. Obama, who basically fluffed off his high school year days and apparently (because his records are classified) got a pass through the elite schools of the rich and famous, took on the role of Community Organizer Politician while lining his pockets with the funds of corporate sleezebags and tennament landlords. Romney, on the other hand, took the corporate C.E.O. path and did the business thing.

Obama became president and basically said "I won you lost" and not only could not get the Republican's into the back of the bus, he could barely get his own party onboard with a clear solid double majority.

Romney became governor of one of the biggest Democratic Empires in the NE US and actally accomplished a thing or two.

So I would say that there is a big difference, but I would also ssay that when comparing Obama to most politicians, such as Clinton etc.
Cadet tzor

Postby Gillipig on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Who's Romney?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby GreecePwns on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:07 pm

If this is a response to me, I would like to add a rule to this thread: when discussion similarities/differences, please refer only to policy positions, not their life growing up, not what others have attached to them, but concrete positions they have spoken in favor of/against and their voting records.

I challenge those who take the position that they are "different" to list 10 major policy differences between the two men.

Thank you.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Woodruff on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:55 pm

GreecePwns wrote:If this is a response to me, I would like to add a rule to this thread: when discussion similarities/differences, please refer only to policy positions, not their life growing up, not what others have attached to them, but concrete positions they have spoken in favor of/against and their voting records.

I challenge those who take the position that they are "different" to list 10 major policy differences between the two men.

Thank you.

thegreekdog already challenged him for five, if I remember right, and he couldn't do that.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Woodruff wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:If this is a response to me, I would like to add a rule to this thread: when discussion similarities/differences, please refer only to policy positions, not their life growing up, not what others have attached to them, but concrete positions they have spoken in favor of/against and their voting records.

Thank you.

thegreekdog already challenged him for five, if I remember right, and he couldn't do that.

Correct. So it's seems we've already gotten to the bottom of this issue.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby warmonger1981 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Romney will secure more power for large corporations and obama will secure more power for government. Either way we all lose.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Frigidus on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

tzor wrote:Romney and Obama are as different as the day is from the night; as the summer is from the winter; as an electron is from a positron. I mean they might seem alike; if you ignore the differences.

Now both will try to play the "poor me" card, but both Barry Sotero and Mitt Romney had well off fathers and that gave them both a good advantage. Obama, who basically fluffed off his high school year days and apparently (because his records are classified) got a pass through the elite schools of the rich and famous, took on the role of Community Organizer Politician while lining his pockets with the funds of corporate sleezebags and tennament landlords. Romney, on the other hand, took the corporate C.E.O. path and did the business thing.

Obama became president and basically said "I won you lost" and not only could not get the Republican's into the back of the bus, he could barely get his own party onboard with a clear solid double majority.

Romney became governor of one of the biggest Democratic Empires in the NE US and actally accomplished a thing or two.

So I would say that there is a big difference, but I would also ssay that when comparing Obama to most politicians, such as Clinton etc.

Zero mention of either man's track record, just a bunch of irrelevant character fluff. Then again, that's been pretty much the entire campaign for both sides thus far.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby bedub1 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 am

As you can see from the below image, they have basically the same ideology.
My political beliefs are nowhere near theirs. When I take the test, I end up by Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama. This is why I know all US politicians should be executed, and we need more people like me/the Dalai Lama in charge of this country.
Colonel bedub1

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

warmonger1981 wrote:Romney will secure more power for corporations X, Y, and Z, and obama will secure more power for corporations A, B, and C. Corporations, X, Y, Z, A, B, and C have hedged their bets by donating to both politicians, but each tends to favor one politician otver the other. Either way we all lose by voting for a mainstream politician.

FTFY
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

[An extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...]

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said Ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby warmonger1981 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Ftfy ??? What that mean?
Captain warmonger1981

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I've highlighted the differences below.

Obamacare
Romney - Supports (implemented as GovMass)
Obama - Supports (implemented as POTUS)

NAFTA
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Auto Industry Gov-Managed Bankruptcy
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

PATRIOT Act
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Inflation Indexing of Minimum Wage
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

War Against Libya
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

TARP
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

Muslim Brotherhood
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Gold Standard
Romney - opposes
Obama - opposes

Military Service
Romney - None
Obama - None

Wealth
Romney - millionaire
Obama - millionaire

Alma Mater
Romney - Harvard
Obama - Harvard

Skin Tone
Romney - White
Obama - Half-White

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:00 pm

warmonger1981 wrote:Ftfy ??? What that mean?

It's directly quoted from an excellent book. And it's quite appropriate to the topic.

Postby tzor on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm

If you want specifics on the differences ...

Regulations

Romney hates them as they bind up corporations; not just "large" corporations but small ones too. Small corporations are important because they drive up the economy which in turn provides more capital for large companies to acquire through their own transactions. (Strange but true rich people use more services than poor ones.)

Obama loves them as they are a means to cement his relationship with various special interest voting base. It also allows the creation of a strong central government to create and monitor these regulations. Since the federal government gets its revenue by force (taxes) it doesn't need a strong economy.

Taxes

Romney hates them even though his income is mostly through already taxed income and thus is mostly at the "corporate gains tax rate." (Mind you if it wasn't for the fact that the corporations that are providing him the coporate gains are being taxed with the highest corporate taxes in the world he would be making even more money than he is now and that his investment isn't adjusted for inflation so he could literally be making nothing - as making a rate of return equal to the rate of inflation is in fact making nothing - but being taxed anyway.)

Obama loves them because it fits in with his class warfare thing. Just tax the rich, or at least claim to; nevermind that Obamacare is a major tax on the middle class.

His people

Romney at one point in his carreer literally dropped everything, and went to New York City to organize a search and rescue operation for a child of one of his workers.

Obama, after finding out tht his ambasdor got raped, dragged through the streets and killed, went off to Vegas for a fundraiser.
Cadet tzor

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:13 pm

This is something like a 54 minute long documentary, split up into 7 parts. It's mainly about the Mexican Drug Cartels and the Mexican Mormons who are standing up to them, by illegally buying assault rifles in the US and using military tactics. But since Mitt Romney's dad was a part of that community, the owner of Vice also talks with Mitt's cousins about the Romney race and his immigration policy. Pretty interesting.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Woodruff on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 pm

tzor wrote:If you want specifics on the differences ...

Regulations

Romney hates them as they bind up corporations; not just "large" corporations but small ones too. Small corporations are important because they drive up the economy which in turn provides more capital for large companies to acquire through their own transactions. (Strange but true rich people use more services than poor ones.)

Obama loves them as they are a means to cement his relationship with various special interest voting base. It also allows the creation of a strong central government to create and monitor these regulations. Since the federal government gets its revenue by force (taxes) it doesn't need a strong economy.

Taxes

Romney hates them even though his income is mostly through already taxed income and thus is mostly at the "corporate gains tax rate." (Mind you if it wasn't for the fact that the corporations that are providing him the coporate gains are being taxed with the highest corporate taxes in the world he would be making even more money than he is now and that his investment isn't adjusted for inflation so he could literally be making nothing - as making a rate of return equal to the rate of inflation is in fact making nothing - but being taxed anyway.)

Obama loves them because it fits in with his class warfare thing. Just tax the rich, or at least claim to; nevermind that Obamacare is a major tax on the middle class.

His people

Romney at one point in his carreer literally dropped everything, and went to New York City to organize a search and rescue operation for a child of one of his workers.

Obama, after finding out tht his ambasdor got raped, dragged through the streets and killed, went off to Vegas for a fundraiser.

Is it possible for you to be more blindly partisan? I mean, seriously...you've become a disgusting individual of late. You must really be panicked over the idiotic Republican nomination for President.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:16 pm

This thread's existence is just begging for partisanship. It's why I scrapped my side-by-side comparison idea for this place.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Plus Mitt Romney's ideas are sometimes so crazy that they sound like they are from the Onion. His website used to say that he was for an updated EPA that took cost into it's considerations of what laws to enforce. It also said that he would end the Carbon caps.

It's not on there now though. Sometimes it's just crazy what you can see right there on a candidate's page.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

saxitoxin wrote:I've highlighted the differences below.

Obamacare
Romney - Supports (implemented as GovMass)
Obama - Supports (implemented as POTUS)

NAFTA
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Auto Industry Gov-Managed Bankruptcy
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

PATRIOT Act
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Inflation Indexing of Minimum Wage
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

War Against Libya
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

TARP
Romney - Supported
Obama - Supported

Muslim Brotherhood
Romney - Supports
Obama - Supports

Gold Standard
Romney - opposes
Obama - opposes

Military Service
Romney - None
Obama - None

Wealth
Romney - millionaire
Obama - millionaire

Alma Mater
Romney - Harvard
Obama - Harvard

Skin Tone
Romney - White
Obama - Half-White

I thought Romney was Latino.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Been a lot of talk about how they are exactly the same vs. how they are extremely different.

Let's get to the Juan_Bottom of it!

What do you think, Scotty? I think they have their fair share of alikes and differences (middle).

BMO

They have some key differences, and many similarities.

Most important to me is my belief that a Tea Party Congress can push Mitt Romney on issues like debt and monetary policy. It doesn't matter so much what focus grouped answers he is giving during an election cycle as it does his potential ability to work with Congress and get a few key things done, such as, pass a budget.

I already know Obama will not work with Congress, not even to pass a budget. Countries get downgraded when things like that happen, and everyone who lives in that country or uses that countries currency, quite literally, will pay the price for those downgrades.
Major Phatscotty

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:17 am

tzor wrote:If you want specifics on the differences ...

Regulations

Taxes

His people

This is all great stuff from a rhetoric perspective, and I really have nothing to say on the "His People" category since I'm not even sure what it means. I'm sure PS was not looking for specifics, so this probably fits with his definition of answering the question. I would be looking for more specifics, and Saxitoxin answered what I was looking for very nicely.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 am

Phatscotty wrote:I already know Obama will not work with Congress, not even to pass a budget. Countries get downgraded when things like that happen

Do you actually still believe that's what happened, or are you just trying to push that view on other people?

Postby tzor on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Woodruff wrote:Is it possible for you to be more blindly partisan? I mean, seriously...you've become a disgusting individual of late. You must really be panicked over the idiotic Republican nomination for President.

Sure, I think if try real hard and really listen to several hours of Wilkow and Levin and I might be able to do it. I wasn't aware "fair and balanced" was a requirement of the thread. I could have easily written it from the other side; "Romney wants dirty air, dirty water and children with disabilities ... Obama thinks that the health and safety of the people are greater than the economic needs of the 'rich'" but that's not how I write.

By the way, what button did I press to give you the idea that I am an individual of hate? I have to remember to do it more often.
Cadet tzor

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,