Conquer Club

Winning on Hive

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Winning on Hive

Postby bdcurtis on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I've been thinking, lately, on what the best strategy is to win on the hive map. I'll share a little of my thoughts here, but what I'm really looking for are insights from experts who have got this map down to a science. This map is becoming a favorite of mine because it seems to require a delicate balance between the skills of strategy and diplomacy. Here are some thoughts depending on game settings:

No spoils, no trench - with or without fog of war:
I think that the best strategy here is to not rapidly gain territory bonuses too fast. This is probably true on most maps, but on hive, especially with multiple players, there are just too many backdoors to guard against. I have been falling victim to this lately, I start off gaining bonuses pretty quick and feel proud of myself for "winning". But then everyone will start to gang up on me and then I ruin whatever gains I've made because, even with my relatively big troop stacks, I just can't hold everyone back. Instead, I'm going to try and adopt a "middle of the pack" approach and just build up my overall troop count with stacks that are not directly on my boarders. Then once the top contenders thoroughly waste themselves, I'll be in a better position to spread.

Trench - no spoils:
I'm starting to really like trench on this map. I think the strategy here is almost the opposite of the above. One should try to gain bonuses as quickly as possible, but make sure to keep at least a one region buffer between opponents and the bonus territories. I also think that, with trench, you should NOT try and build large stacks, instead try and spread as much as possible with assaults happening over multiple areas against multiple opponents. The quicker you are with doing this, the harder it becomes for others to stop your spread, and your bonuses keep increasing.

Escalating spoils:
Escalating spoils can be fun, but the problem is that after a certain point the spoils far outweigh troop bonuses, and the game ends up something like this: a stalemate occurs between the remaining few players, who just focus on gaining spoils and stacking, and stacking, and stacking... and stacking some more, until someone cracks under the pressure and bursts the dam. In that scenario, it is whoever wasn't in the direct line of fire of the player who cracked that will win. They'll be presented with a map where everyone else has spent their enormous troop reserves, then they will conveniently cash in their spoils, and sweep up the leftovers.

Ok, now, someone who knows more than me please add your thoughts or take apart what I've said.
Corporal 1st Class bdcurtis

Re: Winning on Hive

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Ignore the bonuses at the start and focus on the opponents deploy and limiting it.
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby chapcrap on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm

lord voldemort wrote:Ignore the bonuses at the start and focus on the opponents deploy and limiting it.

This is awful advice on Hive. It's a bonus map. Everyone gets to deploy 12 if they have more than 35 territories, so lowering their count doesn't do anything. And only focusing on breaking bonuses won't get you ahead because eventually you'll have bad dice and not break the opponent. You need to get bonuses yourself for a higher deployment.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby aad0906 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 pm

They key is to break your opponents bonuses. In 1 vs 1 you will often start with a few +1 bonuses. If your opponent has some, attack them. Use just enough troops to break him and DO use the excess troops to get your own +1 bonuses preferably in a spot where it will be hard for your opponent to break them. In team games it will be a little bit easier to break your opponents bonuses because you will get 2, 3 or 4 x 12 troops. In trips or quads, if the opposition has no bonuses, pick one of them to pound.
Major aad0906

Postby josko.ri on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 am

lord voldemort wrote:Ignore the bonuses at the start and focus on the opponents deploy and limiting it.

in Team games only ;)
Major josko.ri

Postby Seulessliathan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 am

josko.ri wrote:

in Team games only ;)

only in quads ;-)

Ignoring bonuses in a 4 player double is a terrible tactic.
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Postby puppydog85 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 am

Don't play ccatman
Sergeant 1st Class puppydog85

Postby #1_stunna on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:07 pm

puppydog85 wrote:Don't play Hive at all.
12:17:31 ‹Pixar› im gonna be fappin to that all night long
10:59:12 ‹rhp 1› holy hell... that did it.. I pissed myself
15:15:52 ‹Ace Rimmer› Sackett58, I think I may get some action this weekend
15:16:05 ‹Sackett58› Right hand or left Ace?
Major #1_stunna

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 am

puppydog85 wrote:Don't play ccatman

I suspect this is the guts of the question. We all want to play him and beat him!! :roll:
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 am

This is actually a really important question. There are already 8 pages of Hive/Trench Games, so strategy is utmost.

I think the biggest strategy element is knowing where to place your armies. So, turn 1 should take you a full 24 hours as you analyze the map. Basically, if someone takes the adjacent Honey Storage Cell, you want their impact to be minimal (so they can only attack 1 or 2 bonuses instead of 3 or 4. This is why a long, spread out border empire is more effective than a localized quadrant based empire. Also, stacks bordering the HSC work very well. If someone takes the HSC, you can instantly take it right back.

The growing at the right pace/other stuff is all directly part of diplomacy. Simply read Art of War and apply the principals. It also helps if you have a firm understanding of how people perceive risk. Obviously, experienced players look at a combination of bonuses, troops, position (especially how it factors into growth, etc.). Inexperienced players tend to focus more on the bonus themselves, and on how big adjoining stacks are. Some players like to attack (you want to stay far away from them) while others like to build up.

The strategy part comes in again at endgame. Basically, you need to figure out a point at which if you keep spreading your borders, you won't lose ground.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:

Don't Miss a Turn

It can cost you the game (even a single turn).
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Return to Conquer Club Discussion