Conquer Club

Everything we need in a survival bag

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Everything we need in a survival bag

Postby john9blue on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 am

anyone who knows anything about troll science knows that magnets are essential for any survivalist's kit.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 am

A survival kit is silly for the "revolution, apocolypse, zombie uprising, day we run out of women, etc." If you want to plan for that, build a cabin with a well and plant a garden. Just leave the city now and do it. The grid locked traffic won't miss you anymore than you miss it.

I put together a kit because I was invovled in SAR and if they find you it isn't going to be 5 minutes after you're lost. You might want to find water, start a fire and set up a shelter.

I have a spare knife and two sharpening stones. I have a cloth bandage, sewing kit and a roll of dayglow orange plastic streamer (think police do not cross tape only smaller with no text.) you can use it to make your trail if you decide you have to leave the aircraft.

The two best ways to signal an airplane that's flying by is a mirror by day, a flare by night. A really smokey fire is a good second place during the day but it has to be obscenly smokey like burning tires or something.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 pm

2dimes wrote:A survival kit is silly for the "revolution, apocolypse, zombie uprising, day we run out of women, etc." If you want to plan for that, build a cabin with a well and plant a garden. Just leave the city now and do it. The grid locked traffic won't miss you anymore than you miss it.
Yeah... though you might find yourself invaded if there really is a revolution.
2dimes wrote:I put together a kit because I was invovled in SAR and if they find you it isn't going to be 5 minutes after you're lost. You might want to find water, start a fire and set up a shelter.

I have a spare knife and two sharpening stones. I have a cloth bandage, sewing kit and a roll of dayglow orange plastic streamer (think police do not cross tape only smaller with no text.) you can use it to make your trail if you decide you have to leave the aircraft.

The two best ways to signal an airplane that's flying by is a mirror by day, a flare by night. A really smokey fire is a good second place during the day but it has to be obscenly smokey like burning tires or something.

The flagging is a good idea(that's what it is called, by-the way, and you can find it in most hardware stores -- at least the real ones that actually sell hardware). You can even get a degradable kind if that worries you (it won't degrade for quite some time).

I would add some ready-to eat, but long-term packable food items, and a first aid book, if not a kit. Soap is also good.. much better than the alchohol stuff, but you do need water.

Parts of a plane can make fires, and the plane can serve as a rude shelter, but you need more insulation... and a grab pack is nice in case of an "incident" because you might survive, but the plane may not. Just make sure it is right next to you, where you can grab it.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Condoms? You don't want to conceive a child in that situation..

And good coffee, you don't want to live a life without good coffee.
Last edited by nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:33 pm

(1) Guns.
(2) Access to someone with a survival kit with no guns.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Juan, what is the current weight of the pack in both pounds and kilograms?
Captain notyou2

Postby Borderdawg on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

thegreekdog wrote:(1) Guns.

I carry a S&W .38 and a Schrade LB7 (a good sized folding knife) always, keep 100 rds of ammo in my vehicles. I also developed the habit of keeping a small amount (40-50 ft.) of heavy fishing line (min. 50 lb. strength) in my wallet many years ago. Excellent for snares and many other things. Braid 3 or more strands and it makes a fair garrote. If I'm close to home, no problems at all! Got a 40 ft steel shipping container with all kinda goodies! :twisted:
Asst. Gatekeeper, XI Games.
Corporal Borderdawg

Postby notyou2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Borderdawg wrote:Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

I carry a S&W .38 and a Schrade LB7 (a good sized folding knife) always, keep 100 rds of ammo in my vehicles. I also developed the habit of keeping a small amount (40-50 ft.) of heavy fishing line (min. 50 lb. strength) in my wallet many years ago. Excellent for snares and many other things. Braid 3 or more strands and it makes a fair garrote. If I'm close to home, no problems at all! Got a 40 ft steel shipping container with all kinda goodies! :twisted:

Are you the multi of THORNHEART?
Captain notyou2

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Borderdawg wrote:Too many variables. Are you talking about a car kit? A full blown bug-out bag? A shelter in place kit? Long term? short term? If you're not sure, then go with tgd's version! lmao

You're the man to see when the zombies come home.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Typical city slicker response. I'd give you approximately 24 hours till you were crying for your mummy.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby maxfaraday on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Guns.
A bow or a crossbow to hunt.
Swiss Army Knife.
Lighter.
Soap.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I really have to stress that everyone out here has at least 1 gun, or would have immediate access to one in any disaster. The Japos were right not to invade 'Merica. Country folk are as well armed as any drug cartel. You all should remain wary of that if you ever plan to form a rouge band of nefarious robber folk.
Generally, I don't think we would suffer for lack of food either, unless something very serious happened that killed all of our livestock. Prices would rise very high, but that's all. The Bronkema's chicken farm will still be there. But protein bars are a good idea for a short-term "I'm not lost" scenario.

Some of this advice is really good though. I like the idea of carrying fishing line. Those Paracord bracelet's supposedly can be taken apart for fishing line, but in my mind, by that time you're already dead.

Got three of these, based on good advice:

And these as well:

The water bottle is steel, so I could cook with it or boil water.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Road flares might work but I like the kind you can shoot in the air. The one's in my pack screw onto a pen launcher.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby maxfaraday on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Also, a big dog trained for hunting.
I like german sheperds (had 2 of them when I was a kid).
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby nietzsche on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:29 pm

el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Re:

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 pm

2dimes wrote:Road flares might work but I like the kind you can shoot in the air. The one's in my pack screw onto a pen launcher.

Sounds dangerous. :shock:
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Don't shoot them at people's faces?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 am

Funkyterrance wrote:

Typical city slicker response. I'd give you approximately 24 hours till you were crying for your mummy.

I take it you've never lived in a city. Guns are absolutely essential.

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Hmm, if this thread were titled: "everything we need in a fanny pack" I might find that response relevant but I'm not quite following your train of thought here and I may need more information. As far as I am concerned a valid credit card can get you out of 99.9% of sticky situations you might encounter in the city. At the moment I see no reason to either validate or disqualify your statement.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Hmm, if this thread were titled: "everything we need in a fanny pack" I might find that response relevant but I'm not quite following your train of thought here and I may need more information. As far as I am concerned a valid credit card can get you out of 99.9% of sticky situations you might encounter in the city. At the moment I see no reason to either validate or disqualify your statement.

Would the appearance of $100 in your PayPal account cause you to validate his statement?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I take it you've never lived in a city. Guns are absolutely essential.

Would the appearance of $100 in your PayPal account cause you to validate his statement?

Depends on the whereabouts of the agreement...
If I were discussing the option with someone traipsin' 'round my property whom I caught with their pants down I would do them the courtesy of accepting their gun as payment.
Or were you talking about on here? If so, sure, we're all civilized human beings here right?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

Ah, so you've lived in the "city" where nothing bad happens except when your designer shoes lose a heel.

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I take it you've never lived in a city. Guns are absolutely essential.

If I were discussing the option with someone traipsin' 'round my property whom I caught with their pants down I would do them the courtesy of accepting their gun as payment.
Or were you talking about on here? If so, sure, we're all civilized human beings here right?

I was talking about here, the Cyber City--for this is merely a cafe in the Meta-City of the Internet.

But now that you mention it, <pulls out a gun>

GIMME ALL UR MONEY!
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Ah, so you've lived in the "city" where nothing bad happens except when your designer shoes lose a heel.

Checking paypal account balance....

Let's just say I never encountered a situation where a gun was necessary or even advisable. Of course someone can imagine all sorts of scenarios. If you're worried about your house getting broken into, which may be reasonable depending on your neighborhood, It would be more sensible to buy a better lock for your door.
As far as surviving while out and about I should think that your odds of harming yourself by slipping on the sidewalk are probably greater than your encountering a situation that required a gun but you don't walk around the city with a pillow tied around your bottom do you?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:20 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Funkyterrance wrote:

I was talking about here, the Cyber City--for this is merely a cafe in the Meta-City of the Internet.

But now that you mention it, <pulls out a gun>

GIMME ALL UR MONEY!

Here you go, sir. Have a nice day!
Colonel Funkyterrance

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,